89 million more reasons to get involved

img_2551
I get the following question all the time:

“Why do we need another organization?”

Sometimes, I wonder if it’s the same folks that ask, “Why do we need another church?”

I’m sure most folks that ask these questions ask with good intentions and while everyone should check their motivations and vision, I am thankful for the folks that went before us [like the orgs that you really really like…] that chose to move forward even when people asked them the very same question.  Had they stopped, they wouldn’t be around and while there are no perfect organizations, they are acting. My only hope is that they’re acting without ever forgetting the same goal of “working ourselves out of a job.”

You understand what I’m saying, right?

But if you need more reasons why we should all get involved and why I feel convicted about One Day’s Wages, I’ll sadly share another 89 million reasons. The numbers are so staggering that sometimes, I just want to pretend that these statistics – reflecting and affecting human beings – do not exist.

But they do. They are real numbers. And they are real people. Human beings created in the image of God.

Depending on who you speak to, approximately 1.4 billion people already live in the conditions of extreme global – defined by the World Bank as those who live on less than US$1.25/day. And in a report published last week by WB, they state that 89 million more people will be living in extreme poverty by the end of THIS YEAR!

While the global economy is showing tentative signs of recovery, 43 low-income developing countries are still suffering the consequences of the global recession, which highlights the need to increase support to the poorest countries dealing with economic volatility and crisis, the World Bank said.

In a paper prepared for the upcoming G-20 meeting in Pittsburgh, the World Bank said that as a result of the crisis 89 million more people will be living in extreme poverty, on less than $1.25 a day, by the end of 2010. The global recession has also put at risk $11.6 billion of core spending in areas such as education, health, infrastructure and social protection in the most vulnerable countries. [full article here]

This is why my wife, kids, and I have made some  life choices in the past 1.5 years to save, sell stuff, stop buying lots of stuff, sell more stuff, and put aside our savings so that we can donate our 2009 salary on my birthday next month on October 20.  We’re almost there!

I want to invite you [and will keep inviting you] to join us by donating any amount or simply donating your One Day’s Wages – which is approximately only 0.4% of your annual salary.  While we are also taking donations for the Administration Fund, I’d rather you invest in the Giving Fund where 100% of all your gifts [minus bank transactions] will go to causes, projects, and organizations. [Here’s our complete vision letter.]

The cool thing is the Amazon Payments have ZERO surcharges until Sept. 30.  We’re still working on our website but it should be out in early October but check out this cool feature on our site where you can plug in your salary and calculate your day’s wages here. And of course, all donations are tax-deductible.

What is One Day’s Wages? [from the beta website]

In one word: Movement.

In two words: Compassionate Justice.

In a phrase: A Movement of Stories and Actions of Compassionate Justice to Fight Extreme Global Poverty.

In one paragraph: One Day’s Wages (ODW) is an international grassroots movement dedicated to ending extreme global poverty. ODW promotes awareness, invites simple giving, and supports sustainable relief through partnerships, especially with smaller organizations in developing regions.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

ODW was founded by Eugene and Minhee Cho and their three children because they were convicted to do something: they donated a year’s salary to the fight against poverty, and now they invite you to give one day’s wages.

If your wages for a single day cannot save the world, they can dramatically impact another person’s life; consider, then, what millions of you giving your daily wages and renewing the gift annually on your birthdays will accomplish!

One Day’s Wages is you, me, us, them: giving, dreaming, and working together to end extreme global poverty. Join the movement.

photo above: a picture from my vision trip to South Africa earlier this year. Two young teenagers lived alone in the home.

Share/Bookmark

Filed under: , , , , ,

1. rv says:

I always find it interesting that you get so many commenters for most of your posts but when it comes to justice or poverty issues, you get nothing.

2. Janice says:

Your first sentence got me lost..

I get this organization all the time: “Why do we need another organization?”

Did you mean you get this QUESTION all the time?

3. kate says:

@rv: I’ve noticed that, too.

Not only here, but in most areas of poverty relief orgs….especially when finances are involved. It’s fairly easy to gather ‘awareness’ of an issue, but to act on that issue (in this sense, being willing to part with a portion of our incomes)…..is much more difficult.

I’d say that it’s indicative of a larger issue that is – in my opinion – many Christians (perhaps in this context, Americans in particular)struggling to reconcile our relative wealth, with our faith, with the knowledge of what Scripture says regarding wealth, and the command to care for the widow, orphan, and stranger. Just my two cents……

4. Janice says:

One more question, if we donate what exactly will our money go towards? Food, fresh water, gospel, school, medical needs?

5. […] 89 million more reasons to get involved « eugene cho eugenecho.wordpress.com/2009/09/22/89-million-more-people – view page – cached Sometimes, I wonder if it’s the same folks that asked, “Why do we need another church?” — From the page […]

6. This is one of the most hopeful thing I’ve read in a while. This calls us back to who we really are as “Church”. We’re in. I’m sharing!

7. Eugene Cho says:

@janice:

thanks for the question.

couple answers: in the beginning, we’ll be selecting a handful of medium sized orgs that fall in alignment with the millennium development goals: water, aids, medicine, education, etc.

in the long run, our vision is to collaborate with small organizations in developing regions [most of them are probably ones that most folks haven’t even heard of]. we’ll look to our members to help discover some of these organizations but all orgs will have to apply for grants and meet our guidelines.

8. lukedaniel says:

I’m so excited! I keep thinking of things to write, but I can’t. Traveling in Guatemala and working in the D.R. is really helping me realize how much need there is. Good work and God bless.

9. theeconomomist says:

Here’s something you may wish to consider: “You could say that globalisation, driven not by human goodness but by the profit motive, has done far more good for far more people than all the foreign aid and soft loans provided by well-intentioned governments and aid agencies.” – Paul Krugman.
    I understand your want to do something – but aid like this is not enough, what you need to do, is create jobs for these people; and then you can invest in education, and so on so forth; the industrial revolution – that sees us where we are today, didn’t happen overnight – and it wasn’t driven by aid agencies.

10. randplaty says:

We need more churches because church planting is one of the most effective evangelistic strategies today. New churches are strategic. They contribute something new, i.e. new believers that would otherwise go unreached.

An argument could be made that new organizations contribute new donors that would not otherwise donate. If that’s the case then that’s a perfectly legit argument for a new organization. Still, both questions must be asked.

11. theeconomomist says:

They only create new believers if the demand for the churches is there – simple economic supply vs demand. Also, you have to consider whether opening churches to people who are not necessarily interested in a religious point of view is democratic – you love, i’m sure, the “democratic” society that you reside in. If I was to suddenly force upon you a change to another religion, islam, judaism, hinduism – I wonder what your response would be; I’m assuming your going to reply with ‘they don’t have to follow the religion’, well no they don’t – and they obviously don’t want to.
    When the portugese first landed in China and tried to force the word of christian god upon the Chinese it wasn’t taken well – many of them simply slaughtered. Unless you represent the total abolishen of democracy and believe that the church should take over the running of a country – and only one church – then your point really doesn’t make sense.

Again, creating new organisations doesn’t solve the problem either – there is a limit to how much people will donate, and there is a point at which it becomes too much, this organisation, that organisation. Too many organisations will actually do more harm than good as the funds they generate will be to spread out to have any effect over the areas they may be trying to help.

We need to create a limit of supply of aid. Supply of aid creates a disinsentive for people to go to work and earn a living. Free Trade, opening up of borders will better these people. Give them work, and they will be able in the long run to afford for education for their children. The opposing view I’m sure will be that “working conditions are horrible”. For thousands of years working conditions were horrible – now that we have the sense of being better, we should not be so ignorant as to give our excess money to the people, instead you should support the companies that employ these people, so that they keep their jobs, maybe their children won’t be better off – but their children, and their children’s children will start to see benefits. To end world poverty we need the industrial revolution to occur globally – until that happens, we will be giving aid for millions of years to come.

It. Still. Hurts.
#TamirRice Incredible news: @onedayswages is projecting to have our most impactful year as we grant out $1.3 million dollars! Thank you so much for your prayers and support...please read on to learn how you can join in our work.

As you gather with family, friends, and loved ones for Thanksgiving and the holidays, I wanted to share an opportunity. Often times, when I speak to people about the privilege of generosity, I remind them, "You don't have to but you get to." It's so true.

My wife and I (and our three kids) started ODW in 2009. We felt the Holy Spirit convicting us to give up our year's salary. It wasn't an easy thing to say "Yes" or "Amen" to but we made the decision to obey. As a result, it took us about three years to save, simplify, and sell off things we didn't need.

It's been an incredible journey as we've learned so much about the heart of God and God's love for the hurting and vulnerable around the world - particularly those living in extreme poverty. ODW is a small, scrappy, grassroots organization (with just 3 full-time employees) but since our launch, we've raised nearly $6 million dollars to help those living in extreme poverty: clean water and sanitation, education, maternal health, human trafficking, refugee crisis, hunger, and the list goes on and on.

So, here's my humble ask: As we do this work, would you consider making a pledge to support our work...so that we can keep doing this work with integrity and excellence?
You can make a one time gift or make monthly pledge of just $25 (or more). Thanks so much for considering this: http://onedayswages.org/give (link in bio, too) Don't just count your blessings. Bless others with your blessings. Here, there, everywhere. Be a blessing for this blesses our Father in Heaven and builds the Kingdom of God.

#ReThinkRegugees #WeWelcomeRefugees
@onedayswages Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.