i left my (leg) in san francisco

copy-of-vacation-pictures-2004-023.jpgmy family and i are visiting san francisco for a couple days this week.  the kids are enjoying ‘mid-winter break’ and minhee and i are attempting to celebrate our 10 year anniversary.  i love this city.  i grew up in san francisco; we got engaged in this city; our parents still live here; and we very much enjoy visiting one of the most incredible cities in the world.

but i realized on our way down that it’s been nearly 3 years since we’ve visited san francisco.  by far, this is the longest stretch that i’ve been away from SF.  it helped that our parents have instead, flown up to visit us in Seattle but i shared with my wife that honestly, there’s a part of me that’s been reticent to visit the city.  why?

well, three summers ago, i endured through my most terrifying ‘near-death experience.’  i know that others have their stories but believe me on this one:  i thought it was over.  as i rolled around on the concrete streets in one of the busier intersections, my last visual memory was seeing minhee and the three kids screaming and crying.

the crazy story:

• after visiting twin peaks in SF, we’re at a red light and proceed on our green light into a busy intersection.
  • a honda civic on our right begin to slowly (while picking up speed) enters into the intersection and heads toward our car.
  • we can’t back up as cars are behind us.  we honk our horn and i probably say a few choice words.  the civic’s side scrapes the front of our car but continues to go into the intersection and heads towards opposite traffic.
  • as the civic goes by, we notice the female driver’s head and neck flailing.  it’s a scary image.  minhee screams.  i scream louder.  we both scream.  we realize she’s having a seizure.
  • minhee screams, “help her!” (i was intending to help.  honestly, i was…)
  • i get out of car and begin to run after her car as it’s picking up speed.
  • i catch up and grab her door handle and ‘luckily’ the door is open.  i open the door.  if i could do this all over again, i would have gone for the hand brake but in the moment, i chose to dive into the car and with my hands, i go for the foot brake.  i slam the brakes with my hand (as 1/2 my body is sticking out of the civic) and stop the car!  for a split second, i’m honestly feeling pretty proud of myself.  i’m a pseudo hero.
  • the dream turns into a nightmare.  the young lady (according to doctors later) wakes up from her seizure or has another episode and her whole body stiffens up and as a result, one of legs slams on the accelerator.
  • i’m hanging on to the brake pedal as we’re going from 0-60.  at some point, i can no longer hang on.  as i let go, one of the rear tires of the civic run over my left leg and over my left ankle.
  • fortunately for this gal, she goes through traffic without hitting any other cars or pedestrians.  she’s stopped as she runs smack middle into a tree.

i honestly thought i had died at this point.  all of the above probably happened within 10 seconds.  firetrucks, police, and ambulances all came to the scene.  after i realized i was still alive, the pain in my left leg/ankle was pretty excruciating but after being taken to the emergency room, the doctors were all pretty amazed that nothing was broken.  the young lady, amazingly, walked away from this with one bruise on her left shoulder.  i later found out (at the hospital since we were taken to the same place) that she was six months pregnant.  i occasionally still hear from her family.

this near death accident forced minhee and i to really re-examine our lives – our marriage, our children, our values, our goals, our faith, and our purpose in life.  i guess near death incidents have the tendency to do that.  as we’ve driven around san francisco the past couple days, we’ve taken some time to reflect on the incident.  even in the midst of some fear i still harbor, we realize god’s favor, protection, and blessings over our lives.

when the medics came to the scene, they pretty much ripped through my pants to see the damage on my leg and ankle.  it was pretty embarrassing (and cold) to be in the middle of the intersection in my underwear.  they later covered me up but i managed to find this picture of my pants from that day…  be safe everyone!

Filed under: family

1. Reyes-Chow says:

no THAT is a Sf story. welcome back to SF, the best city in the world! where in teh city did you grow up, go to church, etc. do tell!

2. Blake says:

Dang. Scary. You’re my hero for stopping that car! Good quick thinking!

3. nicktimoshuk says:

it’s amazing that even though you got ran over and the woman still crashed into a tree, which are two very scary things, the spirit of god was present, ushered in by the selflessness of a heroic act.

4. Wayne Park says:

my goodness. I had no idea…

5. elderj says:

Wow your adventures are much more interesting than my pastor’s. You’re like an action hero star. I need to tell my pastor to get on it! MORE excitement!

6. e cho says:

crazy thing is the young lady’s insurance company wanted to sue me for choosing to involve myself in this incident. it definitely put a bad taste in my mouth. they chose not to and chose to cover my medical bills + some funds to compensate for my pain.

7. e cho says:

bruce: we immigrated in 1977. lived in an apt. on pine street in the downtown area; then sutter street. eventually moved to ocean ave. by city college. i was just there this week and was amazed how much the location has changed. went to aptos middle (probably 50% african-american) and lowell high school (70% asian). didn’t really go to church regularly; when i did, it was at my parents – korean united methodist church (they moved from chinatown to the sunset district).

8. gar says:

That’s a crazy story… I’m sure your family will never forget that one.

9. Tracy says:

I would like to hear this story in one of your sermons…

Glad to hear you didn’t have the same experience this time around.

10. m@ says:

Your ‘charismatic’ hands have the ability to stop traffic, Eugene. 😉

11. jc says:

that is the craziest sf story i have ever heard before.
    and dang, those pants are eerie.

12. […] stuff up to make themselves feel better.   After one ruptured achilles, one knee surgery, and being run over by car and nearly dying, I’ve only got stories […]

13. […] them crying for Dad.  Several years ago, after my ruptured achilles, surgery and recovery…I got run over by car. True story.  This was when I was attempting to save a young woman’s life…and well, it […]

14. Frank Kim says:

that’s the craziest story!

15. […] tried to be a real hero. In trying to save a woman who was having a seizure while she was driving, I got run over by a car. Left leg. Left ankle. Fire trucks. Ambulances. Death before my […]

16. Anthony Eusebio says:

Thanks God! In a split of a few seconds your 1st priority was to save the driver’s life without 2nd thought that you’re risking yours. God is always with you & your family Brotha:) In the middle of the story I thought that you’ll be reading Bible in the hospital bed with plasters on your legs & hip for the next few months. But praise God! for He’d placed His palm under the rear tyres when it ran over your leg that day.
    Now I’d totally understand why my wife always reminded me to wear clean socks & especially my underpants – you’ll never know when will medics or doctors gonna cut out or take off your trousers.
    Hat-off for your bravery Brotha, your kids should be very proud of you & I’m sure this heroic story will carry on to your grandchildren.
    All the glory be to our Father God^^

Made it to 47 years old this psst week. Grateful for God's grace and all those who believed in me, prayed for me, encouraged me, invested in me, forgave me, fed me, loved me, and _____ me.

I've come a long way since my first school picture  at the age of 6 - the age I immigrated to the United States. And long way to go. You can do it, sun. Break through the clouds. I love her. Saturday morning date at Pike Market with @minheejcho. Enjoying the final day of sun before 6 months of rain and gray. Not lol'ing. Some of my moat memorable travels have been to Myanmar (otherwise known as Burma). In fact, the vision of @onedayswages began on my first visit to this country in 2006. On a recent visit, I began learning about the Rohingya people. Sadly, it has escalated to horrendous, genocidal proportions.

Thus far, about 500,000 people have been driven out from Myanmar through violence...with most going to Bangledesh...regulated to a massive refugee camp. Stateless. Undocumented. Minority groups. Dehumanized. Homes and villages destroyed. And so much more unspeakable atrocities.

Yes, it's complex and messy. It always is. But the root of this injustice as the case for so much brokeness in the world is the sin of dehumanizing one anotber as..."the other." May we see each person, including the Rohingya people, as one who is created in the image of God. It's the truth and the remedy to the incessant dehumanization that goes on in our world.

Lord, in your mercy. The obedience of discipleship which includes the work of justice is a marathon. It's long, arduous, and emotional. Be tenacious. But also take care of yourself. Create healthy rhythms. Don't burn out. We need you for the marathon. Friends, don't give up. Press on. In the midst of so much chaos in the world, may we continue to cling to the hope of the whole Gospel. May we cling unto Jesus:

Way maker!
Miracle worker!
Promise keeper!
Light in the darkness!
That is who You are!

What an encounter with the Holy Spirit at @seattlequest today. Grateful for our worship team, the gospel choir, and the Audio/Visual team. Thank you Matt, Teresita, and Chris. Please thank all the volunteers for us.