‘portrait’ in the seattle times

seattletimes1224b.jpg

my kids looked through the sunday paper today and asked, ‘why are you in the paper daddy?’  i didn’t really have a good answer but for whatever reason, both quest church and i have received ‘favorable’ responses from the larger city of seattle and the local media.  while it feels good to be noticed and acknowledged, this is important to me as i seek to not only serve quest church, but to serve and love the larger city and people of seattle.  while i believe in the importance of caring for your family and your church, we  have to be careful not to be so insular that we can’t look beyond our walls.

today’s article can be found in the profile section of the pacific northwest sunday magazine.  the photo you see above is a little glimpse of our very messy and  unproduced sunday worship services.  i like the picture because it shows our spotty floors in the cafe, the instrument cords lying all around, the communion table that is present every sunday, artwork on the walls from local artists, a painting done for a burma benefit show by chris leong, a quester, on stage (far left), and of course, my demontrative hands in action.  corey and katey hage, our children’s pastor, don’t look too happy though.  it may have been one of those sundays i again went over an hour.  you can see all the other articles written about quest/qcafe in the ‘in the media’ section of the church website.  there was one front page article in the Seattle PI that people erroneously connected quest and strip clubs.  🙂

on another note, the seattle times is looking for an ‘evangelical voice’ to join a rotation of religion columnists.  after an initial review, they’ve asked about 15 people to turn in their resumes and examples of their writing.  my chances will be very slim but i have decided to turn in my resume by the deadline next week.  thanks to those in seattle that submitted my name to the editors.

my hope, ultimately, is that God would honor and bless the work my wife and i strive to do so that men, women, and children may be drawn to His love and grace.  this is not intended to sound arrogant but i have always believed that God would elevate me to be seen and heard – as a person of influence.  as i come to your thoughts, please pray for continual protection, unwavering integrity, and honest humility.

ps  there was another article in the paper about christmas eve services where quest, and one of our members, jennifer, was featured amongst other churches.

Filed under: christianity, church, culture, emerging church, quest church, religion, seattle

1. elderj says:

It is good to know that the fine people in Seattle are interested enough to investigate this “proclaimer of strange gods,” in the midst of a culture that spend their time “in nothing else but either to tell or to hear some new thing.”

2. Jenny says:

Congrats on the article. I enjoyed learning about you and your church and hope to visit someday.

3. Tae says:

I love the article Eugene. May the Lord use it to expand His good work through you and Quest.

4. Rick L in Tx says:

Eugene, should the editorial thing come through as I hope it does (but even if it doesn’t) consider http://www.amyfound.org – the website of the AMY Foundation which encourages writers to communicate biblical truth in the secular media.

5. your fan club says:

NICE HANDS!

6. e cho says:

nice. i finally made it on angryasianman.com.
    nice way to end and begin a new year!

7. Jason says:

eugene, any news on the seattle times columnist thing you mentioned in this post?

8. e cho says:

not really. had to submit couple articles but they’r taking a long long time. i think they’re leaning towards other people. oh well…

It. Still. Hurts.
#TamirRice Incredible news: @onedayswages is projecting to have our most impactful year as we grant out $1.3 million dollars! Thank you so much for your prayers and support...please read on to learn how you can join in our work.

As you gather with family, friends, and loved ones for Thanksgiving and the holidays, I wanted to share an opportunity. Often times, when I speak to people about the privilege of generosity, I remind them, "You don't have to but you get to." It's so true.

My wife and I (and our three kids) started ODW in 2009. We felt the Holy Spirit convicting us to give up our year's salary. It wasn't an easy thing to say "Yes" or "Amen" to but we made the decision to obey. As a result, it took us about three years to save, simplify, and sell off things we didn't need.

It's been an incredible journey as we've learned so much about the heart of God and God's love for the hurting and vulnerable around the world - particularly those living in extreme poverty. ODW is a small, scrappy, grassroots organization (with just 3 full-time employees) but since our launch, we've raised nearly $6 million dollars to help those living in extreme poverty: clean water and sanitation, education, maternal health, human trafficking, refugee crisis, hunger, and the list goes on and on.

So, here's my humble ask: As we do this work, would you consider making a pledge to support our work...so that we can keep doing this work with integrity and excellence?
You can make a one time gift or make monthly pledge of just $25 (or more). Thanks so much for considering this: http://onedayswages.org/give (link in bio, too) Don't just count your blessings. Bless others with your blessings. Here, there, everywhere. Be a blessing for this blesses our Father in Heaven and builds the Kingdom of God.

#ReThinkRegugees #WeWelcomeRefugees
@onedayswages Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.