‘portrait’ in the seattle times

seattletimes1224b.jpg

my kids looked through the sunday paper today and asked, ‘why are you in the paper daddy?’  i didn’t really have a good answer but for whatever reason, both quest church and i have received ‘favorable’ responses from the larger city of seattle and the local media.  while it feels good to be noticed and acknowledged, this is important to me as i seek to not only serve quest church, but to serve and love the larger city and people of seattle.  while i believe in the importance of caring for your family and your church, we  have to be careful not to be so insular that we can’t look beyond our walls.

today’s article can be found in the profile section of the pacific northwest sunday magazine.  the photo you see above is a little glimpse of our very messy and  unproduced sunday worship services.  i like the picture because it shows our spotty floors in the cafe, the instrument cords lying all around, the communion table that is present every sunday, artwork on the walls from local artists, a painting done for a burma benefit show by chris leong, a quester, on stage (far left), and of course, my demontrative hands in action.  corey and katey hage, our children’s pastor, don’t look too happy though.  it may have been one of those sundays i again went over an hour.  you can see all the other articles written about quest/qcafe in the ‘in the media’ section of the church website.  there was one front page article in the Seattle PI that people erroneously connected quest and strip clubs.  🙂

on another note, the seattle times is looking for an ‘evangelical voice’ to join a rotation of religion columnists.  after an initial review, they’ve asked about 15 people to turn in their resumes and examples of their writing.  my chances will be very slim but i have decided to turn in my resume by the deadline next week.  thanks to those in seattle that submitted my name to the editors.

my hope, ultimately, is that God would honor and bless the work my wife and i strive to do so that men, women, and children may be drawn to His love and grace.  this is not intended to sound arrogant but i have always believed that God would elevate me to be seen and heard – as a person of influence.  as i come to your thoughts, please pray for continual protection, unwavering integrity, and honest humility.

ps  there was another article in the paper about christmas eve services where quest, and one of our members, jennifer, was featured amongst other churches.

Filed under: christianity, church, culture, emerging church, quest church, religion, seattle

1. elderj says:

It is good to know that the fine people in Seattle are interested enough to investigate this “proclaimer of strange gods,” in the midst of a culture that spend their time “in nothing else but either to tell or to hear some new thing.”

2. Jenny says:

Congrats on the article. I enjoyed learning about you and your church and hope to visit someday.

3. Tae says:

I love the article Eugene. May the Lord use it to expand His good work through you and Quest.

4. Rick L in Tx says:

Eugene, should the editorial thing come through as I hope it does (but even if it doesn’t) consider http://www.amyfound.org – the website of the AMY Foundation which encourages writers to communicate biblical truth in the secular media.

5. your fan club says:

NICE HANDS!

6. e cho says:

nice. i finally made it on angryasianman.com.
    nice way to end and begin a new year!

7. Jason says:

eugene, any news on the seattle times columnist thing you mentioned in this post?

8. e cho says:

not really. had to submit couple articles but they’r taking a long long time. i think they’re leaning towards other people. oh well…

The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.

Taking a break from the sabbatical...to partner in ministry in Denver at Cherry Hills Church and at the CRU staff conference. It was such a gift to be able to encourage a handful of folks one-to-one, a small group of Asian-American leaders from EPIC, and the larger group of 5000 staff during one of the sessions.

I've been personally blessed, challenged, encouraged, exhorted, and convicted by so many who have poured into my life - friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - and I hope to do that for others as I seek to be faithful to Christ.

Thank you, Lord.
#cru17 Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns.

• The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. || 19 hours ago
  • Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. instagram.com/p/BW-64QmA3ji/ || 20 hours ago
  • RT @bj116: Love without Truth leads to liberalism. Truth without love leads to legalism. But Truth working with Love leads to a Gospel tran… || 2 days ago
  • There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others. || 3 days ago
  • Nature is one of my love languages. - instagram.com/p/BW0uNlng0If/ || 4 days ago
  • Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it. Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. || 6 days ago