‘portrait’ in the seattle times

seattletimes1224b.jpg

my kids looked through the sunday paper today and asked, ‘why are you in the paper daddy?’  i didn’t really have a good answer but for whatever reason, both quest church and i have received ‘favorable’ responses from the larger city of seattle and the local media.  while it feels good to be noticed and acknowledged, this is important to me as i seek to not only serve quest church, but to serve and love the larger city and people of seattle.  while i believe in the importance of caring for your family and your church, we  have to be careful not to be so insular that we can’t look beyond our walls.

today’s article can be found in the profile section of the pacific northwest sunday magazine.  the photo you see above is a little glimpse of our very messy and  unproduced sunday worship services.  i like the picture because it shows our spotty floors in the cafe, the instrument cords lying all around, the communion table that is present every sunday, artwork on the walls from local artists, a painting done for a burma benefit show by chris leong, a quester, on stage (far left), and of course, my demontrative hands in action.  corey and katey hage, our children’s pastor, don’t look too happy though.  it may have been one of those sundays i again went over an hour.  you can see all the other articles written about quest/qcafe in the ‘in the media’ section of the church website.  there was one front page article in the Seattle PI that people erroneously connected quest and strip clubs.  🙂

on another note, the seattle times is looking for an ‘evangelical voice’ to join a rotation of religion columnists.  after an initial review, they’ve asked about 15 people to turn in their resumes and examples of their writing.  my chances will be very slim but i have decided to turn in my resume by the deadline next week.  thanks to those in seattle that submitted my name to the editors.

my hope, ultimately, is that God would honor and bless the work my wife and i strive to do so that men, women, and children may be drawn to His love and grace.  this is not intended to sound arrogant but i have always believed that God would elevate me to be seen and heard – as a person of influence.  as i come to your thoughts, please pray for continual protection, unwavering integrity, and honest humility.

ps  there was another article in the paper about christmas eve services where quest, and one of our members, jennifer, was featured amongst other churches.

Filed under: christianity, church, culture, emerging church, quest church, religion, seattle

1. elderj says:

It is good to know that the fine people in Seattle are interested enough to investigate this “proclaimer of strange gods,” in the midst of a culture that spend their time “in nothing else but either to tell or to hear some new thing.”

2. Jenny says:

Congrats on the article. I enjoyed learning about you and your church and hope to visit someday.

3. Tae says:

I love the article Eugene. May the Lord use it to expand His good work through you and Quest.

4. Rick L in Tx says:

Eugene, should the editorial thing come through as I hope it does (but even if it doesn’t) consider http://www.amyfound.org – the website of the AMY Foundation which encourages writers to communicate biblical truth in the secular media.

5. your fan club says:

NICE HANDS!

6. e cho says:

nice. i finally made it on angryasianman.com.
    nice way to end and begin a new year!

7. Jason says:

eugene, any news on the seattle times columnist thing you mentioned in this post?

8. e cho says:

not really. had to submit couple articles but they’r taking a long long time. i think they’re leaning towards other people. oh well…

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 6 hours ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 6 hours ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 6 hours ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 2 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 4 days ago