‘portrait’ in the seattle times

seattletimes1224b.jpg

my kids looked through the sunday paper today and asked, ‘why are you in the paper daddy?’  i didn’t really have a good answer but for whatever reason, both quest church and i have received ‘favorable’ responses from the larger city of seattle and the local media.  while it feels good to be noticed and acknowledged, this is important to me as i seek to not only serve quest church, but to serve and love the larger city and people of seattle.  while i believe in the importance of caring for your family and your church, we  have to be careful not to be so insular that we can’t look beyond our walls.

today’s article can be found in the profile section of the pacific northwest sunday magazine.  the photo you see above is a little glimpse of our very messy and  unproduced sunday worship services.  i like the picture because it shows our spotty floors in the cafe, the instrument cords lying all around, the communion table that is present every sunday, artwork on the walls from local artists, a painting done for a burma benefit show by chris leong, a quester, on stage (far left), and of course, my demontrative hands in action.  corey and katey hage, our children’s pastor, don’t look too happy though.  it may have been one of those sundays i again went over an hour.  you can see all the other articles written about quest/qcafe in the ‘in the media’ section of the church website.  there was one front page article in the Seattle PI that people erroneously connected quest and strip clubs. 🙂

on another note, the seattle times is looking for an ‘evangelical voice’ to join a rotation of religion columnists.  after an initial review, they’ve asked about 15 people to turn in their resumes and examples of their writing.  my chances will be very slim but i have decided to turn in my resume by the deadline next week.  thanks to those in seattle that submitted my name to the editors.

my hope, ultimately, is that God would honor and bless the work my wife and i strive to do so that men, women, and children may be drawn to His love and grace.  this is not intended to sound arrogant but i have always believed that God would elevate me to be seen and heard – as a person of influence.  as i come to your thoughts, please pray for continual protection, unwavering integrity, and honest humility.

ps  there was another article in the paper about christmas eve services where quest, and one of our members, jennifer, was featured amongst other churches.

Filed under: christianity, church, culture, emerging church, quest church, religion, seattle

1. elderj says:

It is good to know that the fine people in Seattle are interested enough to investigate this “proclaimer of strange gods,” in the midst of a culture that spend their time “in nothing else but either to tell or to hear some new thing.”

2. Jenny says:

Congrats on the article. I enjoyed learning about you and your church and hope to visit someday.

3. Tae says:

I love the article Eugene. May the Lord use it to expand His good work through you and Quest.

4. Rick L in Tx says:

Eugene, should the editorial thing come through as I hope it does (but even if it doesn’t) consider http://www.amyfound.org – the website of the AMY Foundation which encourages writers to communicate biblical truth in the secular media.

5. your fan club says:

NICE HANDS!

6. e cho says:

nice. i finally made it on angryasianman.com.
    nice way to end and begin a new year!

7. Jason says:

eugene, any news on the seattle times columnist thing you mentioned in this post?

8. e cho says:

not really. had to submit couple articles but they’r taking a long long time. i think they’re leaning towards other people. oh well…

The family that karaokes together stays together. #ChoFamilyKPopFamily Family time in one of my favorite cities in the world - especially when the exchange rate is so favorable. Thank you, Vancouver, for being such a great refuge for our souls for the past 20 years. #QuestVancouver It's the day after...that day.
Be grateful. Again.
We woke up. We're alive.
Breathing. Dreaming.
Pursuing. Embodying. Loving.

Yes. Be grateful.
That you, Jesus.

Pastor Coby, Pastor Katey, Pam, Jalle, and Jasmin: We see you. We appreciate you. We are grateful for your presence and leadership at Quest and beyond. Thank you and all of our amazing volunteers Wow. So proud of our 13 year-old son. When he began the trumpet in middle school, you could say it was a little painful. But this cat has got some groove. He's taught himself the piano, guitar, and really come along on the trumpet.

Parents: Fret not if you have no musical skills. I am living proof that musical genes or the lack thereof are not passed on. #AsianMilesDavis