i need a fanny pack

Rough day yesterday.

Had a great day planned with my first sabbatical fishing trip with my father in Sacramento. Even better, we also planned a lunch trip to Inn-N-Out in between but just as we returned to the car to head off for lunch, we heard someone smash our car window. In cleaning out the glass from the car, I noticed I didn’t have my wallet and thus, the panic set in.

My fears were true. I left my wallet in the car:

• While I don’t usually carry much cash, I did this time because of our sabbatical. Gone.
  • Credit cards.
  • Driver’s license.
  • And stupid. I also had a blank (unsigned) check. Again, because of the sabbatical and thus exposing my account number.

And wow, these whoevers worked quickly. In the likely 30 minutes since the wallet was stolen, the credit card was already used twice.

Spent half the day on the phone, running around, and in a foul mood.

So, it took a little prayer and attitude adjustment to come to some perspective:

1. Maybe I should get a fanny pack. Seriously, been so forgetful these days and I’d love to bring the fanny pack mainstream. I’d love to see preachers like Mark Driscoll and Rick Warren sport them while they’re preaching.

2. In the big picture of things, we need to learn to take things as they are and now allow such circumstances to rob us of our joy and peace. Easier said than done.

As I driving home with my father and freezing (because of the busted window), I started chuckling because I was reminiscing about the last time my family and I spent some sabbatical time in San Francisco six years ago.  Folks won’t even believe this story because it was so crazy:

I tried to be a real hero. In trying to save a woman who was having a seizure while she was driving, I got run over by a car. Left leg. Left ankle. Fire trucks. Ambulances. Death before my eyes…

And all before my wife and kids.

Hey, I got my wallet stolen but at least,

I didn’t get run over by car.😉

Perspective.

So, how about one of these beauties?

And how about this?

Filed under:

1. dmbaldwin says:

I wouldn’t get too change of life conscious here Eugene. It’s a drastic step moving to a fanny pack. I think I’d rather go through what you did before I’d start wearing one of those things. I mean you’ll look like a tourist or an old man.
    Hope & pray the rest of your sabbatical goes better.
    Blessings,
    Dave

2. Matt Appling says:

Every vacation we go on has some kind of unplanned disaster. Last year, we rented a car and suffered not one but two flat tires…while on a remote island in the outer banks of N. Carolina. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time on the phone, then a couple of hours in a tow truck to drive up to a neighboring town, then a couple hours in a new rental to get back to town. But hey, those are what memories are made of, right?

3. Pastor Eugene–

Maybe you should also check out cap sacs🙂

Way to take it all in stride. Happy vacationing!

4. Not sure about Driscoll, but somehow I can imagine Rick Warren already having and sporting a fanny pack.🙂 And you’re right – your experience of 6 years ago. Unreal.

5. DanW says:

Sorry to hear about your travails. But if you start wearing fanny packs I’m going to stage an intervention.

• Eugene Cho says:

what are real friends for.

“friends don’t let friends wear fanny packs.”
      there’s a commercial there.

on another note, thanks for being such gracious hosts at the FEAST. hope you got to enjoy yourself as well.

6. Tony Lin says:

Maybe it’s just me and my background, but in instances like these I always thank God I’m the one being stolen from and not the one doing the stealing… without the grace of God I could have very easily been the one breaking into your car.

7. AFR says:

I used a fanny pack – totally unfashionable – for the 18 years our kids were growing up & needing to be shuttled about to school & sports. I still have used it when we’ve traveled extensively, too.🙂 Hooray for fanny packs!

8. B Todd says:

I am assuming that since you are suggesting fanny packs, your man card must have been stolen also

9. johnhkim says:

Wondering if one of those stolen credit card purchases was a fanny pack

10. Darth Burger says:

Eugene,

You don’t need a fanny pack, you need a utility belt! Come on, everybody’s favorite Sith Lord has a utility belt. Most people won’t even notice. 🙂

BTW, did you keep a Gospel tract or other evangelism paraphernalia in your wallet or car? Just wondering if there’s even a remote chance that the break-in could lead the perpetrator to Christ. Perhaps your church business card would suffice.

-Raymond

11. Jay says:

I started with a fanny pack and I’ve moved on to a full blown man-bag (disguised as a messenger bag). Seriously though how unfair is it that men don’t get to carry something around to put stuff in, especially with a toddler in tow. I use it for juice-diapers-snacks, sunglasses/hat, leatherman, book-I’m-reading, (and some day my ipad!).

12. I think you should lead the way. I need someone to follow here.

The other day my wife and I were cleaning out my car. She saw all my change and decided we should use MY coffee-buying-change for our car vacuumings. Why not use her change. Because she has her change in her purse and doesnt save it like I do. If only I’d had a fanny pack…

Buy one and I will wear one too.

13. Susie Lipps says:

Show us how it’s done, man! I say wear the fanny pack with pride!

(Sucky about loosing your wallet and having to fix the window…)

14. Jonn Alexander says:

Oh man. Tough break. Well, when you get to San Francisco, let us know. We’ll take you to get some amazing dim sum to help rid your mind of this awfulness; I mean the break in AND you actually thinking of getting a fanny pack. Really? A fanny pack? Lol.

15. shari says:

Glad thats not going to be a common fashion accessory!

16. trouble says:

Wow, this bags are so beautiful.