hoop dreams. officially over.

Growing up, what were some of your dreams?

My hope throughout my teenage years was to become a professional athlete. For whatever reason, I was blessed with some serious jumping skills or “mad hops” as they would say during street ball. And specifically, I wanted to play point guard in the NBA.

Dream over. Officially.

At the age of 40 and after rupturing both of my Achilles in recent years, I’m finally at peace with the reality that my professional basketball days are over. Before it ever began.

Watch the video and laugh with me but not at me – like my kids did while they filmed and edited this video. ;(

It’s time for a new hobby. Suggestions?

Filed under: ,

1. Matt Appling says:

My hoop dreams were crushed at the tender age of eight…when I realized I had no athletic talent! But it took until my 20s to realize I would not be a famous artist. I guess that’s part of being an adult – realizing the encouragement our parents gave us to follow our dreams was probably just a tad overblown. 🙂

2. Erick says:

it’s called radball.

• erick says:

Ha! Yeah, I just want to know how this was invented…extreme boredom?

For real, do you bike much? I’m sure there are some great spaces to bike around in Seattle, no? Cycling or Mt Biking can be relatively cheap and can work wonders for the calves (and Achilles) with a nice cyclical/low impact motion. Plus, this activity can turn into a hobby with all the ‘tinkering’ one can do to the bike.

Sorry, a passion for me…

3. Jason says:

I would keep ballin….but if you really want to give it up then I would like to suggest rock climbing.

4. golfffff!!!!

by the way, be thankful that you had hops to begin with! I had hoop dreams too, but never had the hops (maxed out with a two-foot vertical)

5. Ahh, the misguidedness of youth. Guitar-hero dreams are gone, though I can still play. Not sure the tour bus would make a good home for my 4 kids and baby on the way.

One thing I learned is that if it is a self-inspired dream, rather than a God-inspired dream, it’s likely to disappear.

6. Sejin says:

My hoop dreams failed when I substituted humility for ego.

7. gar says:

SLAMBALL!

Or Starcraft 2… but then you’d have to compete with millions of other Korean dudes.

8. Brian Cho says:

buy some large pots and grow some gochu and ghenip to consume. =)

9. jchenwa says:

You are an immensely talented person, P.E. You and your family are extremely deserving. Keep up the great work and may GOD’s face shine on you always!

10. Bryan says:

you can dunk almost as nice as kevin mchale

11. The Original Grand Torino says:

Respectfully, the Hmong may love me, that’s fine, you tried that ‘what are you talking about’ and total love brother, but we should make sure the Union Teachers get sued for giving fraudlulent job evaluations while the public slaves for them to pay their pensions and health care. Yes, again, anyone may say I am just babbelling.

12. In the fifth grade I knew I was destined for the NBA. I went to a camp where Charles Barkley talked to us. He told everyone to go to school and give up on being the next Michael Jordan. I was incredibly sad. Nothing like having Barkley crush your dreams.

13. Kayce says:

That is a really cool picture of you. 😀

Dreams? Eh, I had too many that’s why I never achieved any of them.

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 4 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 4 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago