hoop dreams. officially over.

Growing up, what were some of your dreams?

My hope throughout my teenage years was to become a professional athlete. For whatever reason, I was blessed with some serious jumping skills or “mad hops” as they would say during street ball. And specifically, I wanted to play point guard in the NBA.

Dream over. Officially.

At the age of 40 and after rupturing both of my Achilles in recent years, I’m finally at peace with the reality that my professional basketball days are over. Before it ever began.

Watch the video and laugh with me but not at me – like my kids did while they filmed and edited this video. ;(

It’s time for a new hobby. Suggestions?

Filed under: ,

1. Matt Appling says:

My hoop dreams were crushed at the tender age of eight…when I realized I had no athletic talent! But it took until my 20s to realize I would not be a famous artist. I guess that’s part of being an adult – realizing the encouragement our parents gave us to follow our dreams was probably just a tad overblown.🙂

2. Erick says:

it’s called radball.

• erick says:

Ha! Yeah, I just want to know how this was invented…extreme boredom?

For real, do you bike much? I’m sure there are some great spaces to bike around in Seattle, no? Cycling or Mt Biking can be relatively cheap and can work wonders for the calves (and Achilles) with a nice cyclical/low impact motion. Plus, this activity can turn into a hobby with all the ‘tinkering’ one can do to the bike.

Sorry, a passion for me…

3. Jason says:

I would keep ballin….but if you really want to give it up then I would like to suggest rock climbing.

4. golfffff!!!!

by the way, be thankful that you had hops to begin with! I had hoop dreams too, but never had the hops (maxed out with a two-foot vertical)

5. Ahh, the misguidedness of youth. Guitar-hero dreams are gone, though I can still play. Not sure the tour bus would make a good home for my 4 kids and baby on the way.

One thing I learned is that if it is a self-inspired dream, rather than a God-inspired dream, it’s likely to disappear.

6. Sejin says:

My hoop dreams failed when I substituted humility for ego.

7. gar says:

SLAMBALL!

Or Starcraft 2… but then you’d have to compete with millions of other Korean dudes.

8. Brian Cho says:

buy some large pots and grow some gochu and ghenip to consume. =)

9. jchenwa says:

You are an immensely talented person, P.E. You and your family are extremely deserving. Keep up the great work and may GOD’s face shine on you always!

10. Bryan says:

you can dunk almost as nice as kevin mchale

11. The Original Grand Torino says:

Respectfully, the Hmong may love me, that’s fine, you tried that ‘what are you talking about’ and total love brother, but we should make sure the Union Teachers get sued for giving fraudlulent job evaluations while the public slaves for them to pay their pensions and health care. Yes, again, anyone may say I am just babbelling.

12. In the fifth grade I knew I was destined for the NBA. I went to a camp where Charles Barkley talked to us. He told everyone to go to school and give up on being the next Michael Jordan. I was incredibly sad. Nothing like having Barkley crush your dreams.

13. Kayce says:

That is a really cool picture of you.😀

Dreams? Eh, I had too many that’s why I never achieved any of them.

Father - daughters bonding (and freezing) time at the Seahawks game. Grateful to the Panthers organization for the tickets. Now, go Hawks. Pound the Panthers. The family that karaokes together stays together. #ChoFamilyKPopFamily Family time in one of my favorite cities in the world - especially when the exchange rate is so favorable. Thank you, Vancouver, for being such a great refuge for our souls for the past 20 years. #QuestVancouver It's the day after...that day.
Be grateful. Again.
We woke up. We're alive.
Breathing. Dreaming.
Pursuing. Embodying. Loving.

Yes. Be grateful.
That you, Jesus.

Pastor Coby, Pastor Katey, Pam, Jalle, and Jasmin: We see you. We appreciate you. We are grateful for your presence and leadership at Quest and beyond. Thank you and all of our amazing volunteers

• Father/daughters bonding time at the Seahawks game. Grateful to the Panthers organization for the tix. Now, go Hawk… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 hours ago
  • "Genuine hope is not blind optimism. It is hope with open eyes, which sees the suffering and yet believes in the future." ~ Jürgen Moltmann || 15 hours ago
  • They play against my Seahawks tomorrow but who cares. What a privilege to preach the Gospel at the Carolina Panther… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • We wait for Christ to return to restore all things but while we wait, we join and partner with God to work towards that restoration. #advent || 1 day ago
  • Washington Huskies. 2016 PAC-12 Champs! #WOOF || 2 days ago
  • If the grass feels greener on the other side, it might be the Holy Spirit reminding you to water the grass you're standing on. || 2 days ago