hoop dreams. officially over.

Growing up, what were some of your dreams?

My hope throughout my teenage years was to become a professional athlete. For whatever reason, I was blessed with some serious jumping skills or “mad hops” as they would say during street ball. And specifically, I wanted to play point guard in the NBA.

Dream over. Officially.

At the age of 40 and after rupturing both of my Achilles in recent years, I’m finally at peace with the reality that my professional basketball days are over. Before it ever began.

Watch the video and laugh with me but not at me – like my kids did while they filmed and edited this video. ;(

It’s time for a new hobby. Suggestions?

Filed under: ,

1. Matt Appling says:

My hoop dreams were crushed at the tender age of eight…when I realized I had no athletic talent! But it took until my 20s to realize I would not be a famous artist. I guess that’s part of being an adult – realizing the encouragement our parents gave us to follow our dreams was probably just a tad overblown. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Erick says:

it’s called radball.

• erick says:

Ha! Yeah, I just want to know how this was invented…extreme boredom?

For real, do you bike much? I’m sure there are some great spaces to bike around in Seattle, no? Cycling or Mt Biking can be relatively cheap and can work wonders for the calves (and Achilles) with a nice cyclical/low impact motion. Plus, this activity can turn into a hobby with all the ‘tinkering’ one can do to the bike.

Sorry, a passion for me…

3. Jason says:

I would keep ballin….but if you really want to give it up then I would like to suggest rock climbing.

4. golfffff!!!!

by the way, be thankful that you had hops to begin with! I had hoop dreams too, but never had the hops (maxed out with a two-foot vertical)

5. Ahh, the misguidedness of youth. Guitar-hero dreams are gone, though I can still play. Not sure the tour bus would make a good home for my 4 kids and baby on the way.

One thing I learned is that if it is a self-inspired dream, rather than a God-inspired dream, it’s likely to disappear.

6. Sejin says:

My hoop dreams failed when I substituted humility for ego.

7. gar says:

SLAMBALL!

Or Starcraft 2… but then you’d have to compete with millions of other Korean dudes.

8. Brian Cho says:

buy some large pots and grow some gochu and ghenip to consume. =)

9. jchenwa says:

You are an immensely talented person, P.E. You and your family are extremely deserving. Keep up the great work and may GOD’s face shine on you always!

10. Bryan says:

you can dunk almost as nice as kevin mchale

11. The Original Grand Torino says:

Respectfully, the Hmong may love me, that’s fine, you tried that ‘what are you talking about’ and total love brother, but we should make sure the Union Teachers get sued for giving fraudlulent job evaluations while the public slaves for them to pay their pensions and health care. Yes, again, anyone may say I am just babbelling.

12. In the fifth grade I knew I was destined for the NBA. I went to a camp where Charles Barkley talked to us. He told everyone to go to school and give up on being the next Michael Jordan. I was incredibly sad. Nothing like having Barkley crush your dreams.

13. Kayce says:

That is a really cool picture of you. ๐Ÿ˜€

Dreams? Eh, I had too many that’s why I never achieved any of them.

The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.

Taking a break from the sabbatical...to partner in ministry in Denver at Cherry Hills Church and at the CRU staff conference. It was such a gift to be able to encourage a handful of folks one-to-one, a small group of Asian-American leaders from EPIC, and the larger group of 5000 staff during one of the sessions.

I've been personally blessed, challenged, encouraged, exhorted, and convicted by so many who have poured into my life - friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - and I hope to do that for others as I seek to be faithful to Christ.

Thank you, Lord.
#cru17 Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns.

• The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. || 11 hours ago
  • Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. instagram.com/p/BW-64QmA3ji/ || 11 hours ago
  • RT @bj116: Love without Truth leads to liberalism. Truth without love leads to legalism. But Truth working with Love leads to a Gospel tranโ€ฆ || 2 days ago
  • There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others. || 3 days ago
  • Nature is one of my love languages. - instagram.com/p/BW0uNlng0If/ || 4 days ago
  • Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it. Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. || 5 days ago