hoop dreams. officially over.

Growing up, what were some of your dreams?

My hope throughout my teenage years was to become a professional athlete. For whatever reason, I was blessed with some serious jumping skills or “mad hops” as they would say during street ball. And specifically, I wanted to play point guard in the NBA.

Dream over. Officially.

At the age of 40 and after rupturing both of my Achilles in recent years, I’m finally at peace with the reality that my professional basketball days are over. Before it ever began.

Watch the video and laugh with me but not at me – like my kids did while they filmed and edited this video. ;(

It’s time for a new hobby. Suggestions?

Filed under: ,

1. Matt Appling says:

My hoop dreams were crushed at the tender age of eight…when I realized I had no athletic talent! But it took until my 20s to realize I would not be a famous artist. I guess that’s part of being an adult – realizing the encouragement our parents gave us to follow our dreams was probably just a tad overblown. 🙂

2. Erick says:

it’s called radball.

• erick says:

Ha! Yeah, I just want to know how this was invented…extreme boredom?

For real, do you bike much? I’m sure there are some great spaces to bike around in Seattle, no? Cycling or Mt Biking can be relatively cheap and can work wonders for the calves (and Achilles) with a nice cyclical/low impact motion. Plus, this activity can turn into a hobby with all the ‘tinkering’ one can do to the bike.

Sorry, a passion for me…

3. Jason says:

I would keep ballin….but if you really want to give it up then I would like to suggest rock climbing.

4. golfffff!!!!

by the way, be thankful that you had hops to begin with! I had hoop dreams too, but never had the hops (maxed out with a two-foot vertical)

5. Ahh, the misguidedness of youth. Guitar-hero dreams are gone, though I can still play. Not sure the tour bus would make a good home for my 4 kids and baby on the way.

One thing I learned is that if it is a self-inspired dream, rather than a God-inspired dream, it’s likely to disappear.

6. Sejin says:

My hoop dreams failed when I substituted humility for ego.

7. gar says:

SLAMBALL!

Or Starcraft 2… but then you’d have to compete with millions of other Korean dudes.

8. Brian Cho says:

buy some large pots and grow some gochu and ghenip to consume. =)

9. jchenwa says:

You are an immensely talented person, P.E. You and your family are extremely deserving. Keep up the great work and may GOD’s face shine on you always!

10. Bryan says:

you can dunk almost as nice as kevin mchale

11. The Original Grand Torino says:

Respectfully, the Hmong may love me, that’s fine, you tried that ‘what are you talking about’ and total love brother, but we should make sure the Union Teachers get sued for giving fraudlulent job evaluations while the public slaves for them to pay their pensions and health care. Yes, again, anyone may say I am just babbelling.

12. In the fifth grade I knew I was destined for the NBA. I went to a camp where Charles Barkley talked to us. He told everyone to go to school and give up on being the next Michael Jordan. I was incredibly sad. Nothing like having Barkley crush your dreams.

13. Kayce says:

That is a really cool picture of you. 😀

Dreams? Eh, I had too many that’s why I never achieved any of them.

Bittersweet month but so much gratitude to my team at @onedayswages. January marks a major transition as 2 of our 3 full time staff move on to their next chapters.

@melissasarapack (2nd from left) has been with me for nearly 4 years - first as our Development Director and then our Communications Director. This was her 2nd stint with me as she was my Live Music & Art Director at @QCafe many years ago. Thank you, Cush, for your friendship and commitment. You embodied our values and it kept moving us forward.

@philipkeeton (far left) has been with me for nearly the entirety of ODW. That's a long time. We've had our shares of ups and downs but  he's one of a kind. He was my right hand person that provided great leadership for our scrappy team of staff, volunteers, and interns. PK: Brother, you're gonna be missed but so excited for your next season. I didn't say this enough: I appreciate you. Thank you. And I hate Alabama football.

Changes are tough but it's also an opportunity for introspection and going deeper. I'm excited to introduce our next Ops Director next month and we're still looking for the right Communications Director. And Kenzie: What a gift to have you on our team.  Thank you. Be humble.

The world is bigger than your view of the world. And certainly, God is much bigger than your view of God.

#RedwoodTrees
#Deeper #RootsMatter 41 years ago today, our family immigrated to the United States from Seoul, South Korea. I was six years old; the youngest of three sons. My father, when he was also six, fled from what is now known as North Korea. Just recently, he shared with me that he and some of his family had been in a refugee camp when war and violence broke out on the Korean peninsula. It's emotional thinking about what my brothers and I went through coming to a completely foreign country. It wasn't easy. And then, I think about what my parents had to go through:

They fled their homes near Pyongyang which also meant leaving some of their extended families.

They experienced unfathomable hunger and poverty.

They experienced the pain of war.

They immigrated again to the United States as adults with minimal resources and a handful of English words.

All in hopes that their children would have the opportunities that were never afforded to them.

I'm thinking of my brothers today. I'm thinking of my parents and honoring them for their sacrifice and tenacity. And finally, I'm thinking of refugees and immigrants all around the world that are yearning for family, peace, hope, and opportunities. Don't reduce Martin Luther King Jr. to a yearly quote on social media. Live out the dream. Seek first the Kingdom of God. Confront evil. Be a truth-teller. Seek justice. Love mercy. Pursue reconciliation. Build bridges. Love your neighbors. Forgive your enemies. Pray unceasingly. Live a committed life of peace, love, and justice.

The God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today.

Be brave. "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Here's the full context of his famous quote: "The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate. Only love can do that." An important word for the Church...