“love and generosity and…loyalty.”

jubyschool

My oldest child is now in middle school and with that comes new adventures as a family. I’m extremely proud of her for many reasons.

One reason is because of her creative spirit. Here’s a poem she wrote recently (after we returned from our vacation in Nebraska in late summer). I’m clearly biased but it’s beautiful and moving.

Her poem is entitled, I am From. And now…she is published:

I am from hot summers in Nebraska,

slithering snakes,

big mouth bass jumping,

the mellow sunset,

and the sight of deer leaping.

I can feel the slimy gills of a fish,

And the sand oozing through my toes.

The hot sun burning on my skin,

and the excitement when I feel a tug on my rod.

I am from Korean food,

always eating Kim-Chee,

sometimes roast beef,

and rice carefully wrapped by dry seaweed.

The stove burning,

And my stomach grumbling,

And the smell of cooking dumplings.

I am from a family of 5.

a dad who travels,

goes on facebook,

and says “You’ll always be my little baby.”

A mother who encourages and cares,

and sings me to sleep.

An annoying brother and sister,

but also precious siblings.

I am from a family full of

sympathy,

apologies after teasing,

love and generosity,

and also lots of loyalty.

I am from a family who celebrates New Years Eve,

and Lunar Year.

Wearing colorful Hanboks,

and getting special blessings.

Everyone eats rice cake soup,

and everyone laughing and giggling.

I am from friends saying bye-bye and leaving,

And sometimes betrayal.

Or my grandpa saying “Ohhh… this is no good.”

I am from a family who prays for each other,

and cares for one another.

I’m not from a violent family,

nor a mean family either.

A kind and the best family is where I’m from.

And I’m proud of it.

Filed under: , , , ,

1. I would agree – beautiful and moving. What a testimony to the love in your family. Enjoy and relish every moment.

2. David says:

What a beautiful poem. It’s obvious that she loves and is loved

3. your friend says:

What a treasure!
    I am touched by her heart.

4. Jeff Lam says:

i’m teaching a 6-week long unit on writing poetry to juniors & seniors, and i gotta say jubilee is ready to show some of my students how it’s done.

5. dan k says:

wow.. that is extremely beautiful.
    she is very talented, and i hope she never stops writing..

6. mellocello says:

what a special young woman.

7. Rebecca says:

Wow…not only is she a prodigy, but she has a sweet and gentle spirit. She’s a blessing, and has great parents.

8. pjchris says:

Oh my goodness…brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing this gift with us.

9. jHong says:

“a dad who… goes on facebook.” wow. she knows you so well!
    😀

10. Eugene Cho says:

@jHong: yeah, i grounded her for that.

it should have read:

a dad who prays, fasts, reads the Bible 24 hours, and is a hip hop mogul by night.

11. Bo says:

This is one of the most beautiful and profound things I’ve read lately. And I’m a theology prof!

12. healthypartygirl says:

I am blown away! That’s a lot of talent for a girl her age. I really enjoyed that poem and I am surrounded by poets and writers all the time, so good on her 🙂

13. Can I just say that she’s in my youth group? Yes, she is and she rocks! 😀

14. Brian Berry says:

eugene:

from one middle school parent to another, I’m proud with you and for you. Sleep well my friend, God is alive and clearly working in your life and family. We both already know this… but I will say it’s moments like this that remind me how rich we truly are. This days wage has no price tag- it is pure joy.

Brian

15. gar says:

wow! impressive.

official teacher BAME grade:

“exceeds expectations”

😉

16. Teresa says:

Phenomenal. What a gift! Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us. A beautiful poem, and a beautiful glimpse into a well-loved child.

17. Melody Hanson says:

She has confidence, self awareness, pride, culture, goodness, love.
    Thank you for sharing it.

18. Very sweet sir.

God Bless your daughter!

19. georgesong says:

it’s been an honor watching jubilee grow-up! you guys have done an awesome job of raising her… looking forward soon to her writing your rap lyrics.

20. Glennis says:

So sweet! This needs to be framed 🙂

21. Hannah says:

wow 😉 look fwd to an anthology of poetry from this young one someday!

22. Andy Wade says:

Amazing! What a gifted daughter and wonderful family! I look forward to meeting the rest of your clad in the future. In the mean time, it was a gift to finally meet you face to face, Eugene. Blessings to you and yours and may the Lord continue to guide and move your steps into his creative future!

23. Joseph Lee says:

“I am from Korean food,
    always eating Kim-Chee,”

Awesome.

24. That is so wonderful. You must be so proud.

25. this is such a well written, lovely poem. your daughter is an aspiring writer!

26. Nourisha says:

she’s a star. great poem. and how awesome for a preteen to feel that way about her family. either you’re doing something right or the hormones having kicked in yet. hahaha.

27. Lovely poem and an even lovelier, tanlented daughther. 🙂

The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.

Taking a break from the sabbatical...to partner in ministry in Denver at Cherry Hills Church and at the CRU staff conference. It was such a gift to be able to encourage a handful of folks one-to-one, a small group of Asian-American leaders from EPIC, and the larger group of 5000 staff during one of the sessions.

I've been personally blessed, challenged, encouraged, exhorted, and convicted by so many who have poured into my life - friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - and I hope to do that for others as I seek to be faithful to Christ.

Thank you, Lord.
#cru17 Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns.

• The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. || 11 hours ago
  • Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. instagram.com/p/BW-64QmA3ji/ || 12 hours ago
  • RT @bj116: Love without Truth leads to liberalism. Truth without love leads to legalism. But Truth working with Love leads to a Gospel tran… || 2 days ago
  • There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others. || 3 days ago
  • Nature is one of my love languages. - instagram.com/p/BW0uNlng0If/ || 4 days ago
  • Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it. Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. || 5 days ago