“love and generosity and…loyalty.”

jubyschool

My oldest child is now in middle school and with that comes new adventures as a family. I’m extremely proud of her for many reasons.

One reason is because of her creative spirit. Here’s a poem she wrote recently (after we returned from our vacation in Nebraska in late summer). I’m clearly biased but it’s beautiful and moving.

Her poem is entitled, I am From. And now…she is published:

I am from hot summers in Nebraska,

slithering snakes,

big mouth bass jumping,

the mellow sunset,

and the sight of deer leaping.

I can feel the slimy gills of a fish,

And the sand oozing through my toes.

The hot sun burning on my skin,

and the excitement when I feel a tug on my rod.

I am from Korean food,

always eating Kim-Chee,

sometimes roast beef,

and rice carefully wrapped by dry seaweed.

The stove burning,

And my stomach grumbling,

And the smell of cooking dumplings.

I am from a family of 5.

a dad who travels,

goes on facebook,

and says “You’ll always be my little baby.”

A mother who encourages and cares,

and sings me to sleep.

An annoying brother and sister,

but also precious siblings.

I am from a family full of

sympathy,

apologies after teasing,

love and generosity,

and also lots of loyalty.

I am from a family who celebrates New Years Eve,

and Lunar Year.

Wearing colorful Hanboks,

and getting special blessings.

Everyone eats rice cake soup,

and everyone laughing and giggling.

I am from friends saying bye-bye and leaving,

And sometimes betrayal.

Or my grandpa saying “Ohhh… this is no good.”

I am from a family who prays for each other,

and cares for one another.

I’m not from a violent family,

nor a mean family either.

A kind and the best family is where I’m from.

And I’m proud of it.

Filed under: , , , ,

1. I would agree – beautiful and moving. What a testimony to the love in your family. Enjoy and relish every moment.

2. David says:

What a beautiful poem. It’s obvious that she loves and is loved

3. your friend says:

What a treasure!
    I am touched by her heart.

4. Jeff Lam says:

i’m teaching a 6-week long unit on writing poetry to juniors & seniors, and i gotta say jubilee is ready to show some of my students how it’s done.

5. dan k says:

wow.. that is extremely beautiful.
    she is very talented, and i hope she never stops writing..

6. mellocello says:

what a special young woman.

7. Rebecca says:

Wow…not only is she a prodigy, but she has a sweet and gentle spirit. She’s a blessing, and has great parents.

8. pjchris says:

Oh my goodness…brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing this gift with us.

9. jHong says:

“a dad who… goes on facebook.” wow. she knows you so well!
    😀

10. Eugene Cho says:

@jHong: yeah, i grounded her for that.

it should have read:

a dad who prays, fasts, reads the Bible 24 hours, and is a hip hop mogul by night.

11. Bo says:

This is one of the most beautiful and profound things I’ve read lately. And I’m a theology prof!

12. healthypartygirl says:

I am blown away! That’s a lot of talent for a girl her age. I really enjoyed that poem and I am surrounded by poets and writers all the time, so good on her 🙂

13. Can I just say that she’s in my youth group? Yes, she is and she rocks! 😀

14. Brian Berry says:

eugene:

from one middle school parent to another, I’m proud with you and for you. Sleep well my friend, God is alive and clearly working in your life and family. We both already know this… but I will say it’s moments like this that remind me how rich we truly are. This days wage has no price tag- it is pure joy.

Brian

15. gar says:

wow! impressive.

official teacher BAME grade:

“exceeds expectations”

😉

16. Teresa says:

Phenomenal. What a gift! Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us. A beautiful poem, and a beautiful glimpse into a well-loved child.

17. Melody Hanson says:

She has confidence, self awareness, pride, culture, goodness, love.
    Thank you for sharing it.

18. Very sweet sir.

God Bless your daughter!

19. georgesong says:

it’s been an honor watching jubilee grow-up! you guys have done an awesome job of raising her… looking forward soon to her writing your rap lyrics.

20. Glennis says:

So sweet! This needs to be framed 🙂

21. Hannah says:

wow 😉 look fwd to an anthology of poetry from this young one someday!

22. Andy Wade says:

Amazing! What a gifted daughter and wonderful family! I look forward to meeting the rest of your clad in the future. In the mean time, it was a gift to finally meet you face to face, Eugene. Blessings to you and yours and may the Lord continue to guide and move your steps into his creative future!

23. Joseph Lee says:

“I am from Korean food,
    always eating Kim-Chee,”

Awesome.

24. That is so wonderful. You must be so proud.

25. this is such a well written, lovely poem. your daughter is an aspiring writer!

26. Nourisha says:

she’s a star. great poem. and how awesome for a preteen to feel that way about her family. either you’re doing something right or the hormones having kicked in yet. hahaha.

27. Lovely poem and an even lovelier, tanlented daughther. 🙂

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.