“love and generosity and…loyalty.”

jubyschool

My oldest child is now in middle school and with that comes new adventures as a family. I’m extremely proud of her for many reasons.

One reason is because of her creative spirit. Here’s a poem she wrote recently (after we returned from our vacation in Nebraska in late summer). I’m clearly biased but it’s beautiful and moving.

Her poem is entitled, I am From. And now…she is published:

I am from hot summers in Nebraska,

slithering snakes,

big mouth bass jumping,

the mellow sunset,

and the sight of deer leaping.

I can feel the slimy gills of a fish,

And the sand oozing through my toes.

The hot sun burning on my skin,

and the excitement when I feel a tug on my rod.

I am from Korean food,

always eating Kim-Chee,

sometimes roast beef,

and rice carefully wrapped by dry seaweed.

The stove burning,

And my stomach grumbling,

And the smell of cooking dumplings.

I am from a family of 5.

a dad who travels,

goes on facebook,

and says “You’ll always be my little baby.”

A mother who encourages and cares,

and sings me to sleep.

An annoying brother and sister,

but also precious siblings.

I am from a family full of

sympathy,

apologies after teasing,

love and generosity,

and also lots of loyalty.

I am from a family who celebrates New Years Eve,

and Lunar Year.

Wearing colorful Hanboks,

and getting special blessings.

Everyone eats rice cake soup,

and everyone laughing and giggling.

I am from friends saying bye-bye and leaving,

And sometimes betrayal.

Or my grandpa saying “Ohhh… this is no good.”

I am from a family who prays for each other,

and cares for one another.

I’m not from a violent family,

nor a mean family either.

A kind and the best family is where I’m from.

And I’m proud of it.

Filed under: , , , ,

1. I would agree – beautiful and moving. What a testimony to the love in your family. Enjoy and relish every moment.

2. David says:

What a beautiful poem. It’s obvious that she loves and is loved

3. your friend says:

What a treasure!
    I am touched by her heart.

4. Jeff Lam says:

i’m teaching a 6-week long unit on writing poetry to juniors & seniors, and i gotta say jubilee is ready to show some of my students how it’s done.

5. dan k says:

wow.. that is extremely beautiful.
    she is very talented, and i hope she never stops writing..

6. mellocello says:

what a special young woman.

7. Rebecca says:

Wow…not only is she a prodigy, but she has a sweet and gentle spirit. She’s a blessing, and has great parents.

8. pjchris says:

Oh my goodness…brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing this gift with us.

9. jHong says:

“a dad who… goes on facebook.” wow. she knows you so well! 😀

10. Eugene Cho says:

@jHong: yeah, i grounded her for that.

it should have read:

a dad who prays, fasts, reads the Bible 24 hours, and is a hip hop mogul by night.

11. Bo says:

This is one of the most beautiful and profound things I’ve read lately. And I’m a theology prof!

12. healthypartygirl says:

I am blown away! That’s a lot of talent for a girl her age. I really enjoyed that poem and I am surrounded by poets and writers all the time, so good on her🙂

13. Can I just say that she’s in my youth group? Yes, she is and she rocks!😀

14. Brian Berry says:

eugene:

from one middle school parent to another, I’m proud with you and for you. Sleep well my friend, God is alive and clearly working in your life and family. We both already know this… but I will say it’s moments like this that remind me how rich we truly are. This days wage has no price tag- it is pure joy.

Brian

15. gar says:

wow! impressive.

official teacher BAME grade:

“exceeds expectations”
    😉

16. Teresa says:

Phenomenal. What a gift! Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us. A beautiful poem, and a beautiful glimpse into a well-loved child.

17. Melody Hanson says:

She has confidence, self awareness, pride, culture, goodness, love.
    Thank you for sharing it.

18. Very sweet sir.

God Bless your daughter!

19. georgesong says:

it’s been an honor watching jubilee grow-up! you guys have done an awesome job of raising her… looking forward soon to her writing your rap lyrics.

20. Glennis says:

So sweet! This needs to be framed🙂

21. Hannah says:

wow😉 look fwd to an anthology of poetry from this young one someday!

22. Andy Wade says:

Amazing! What a gifted daughter and wonderful family! I look forward to meeting the rest of your clad in the future. In the mean time, it was a gift to finally meet you face to face, Eugene. Blessings to you and yours and may the Lord continue to guide and move your steps into his creative future!

23. Joseph Lee says:

“I am from Korean food,
    always eating Kim-Chee,”

Awesome.

24. That is so wonderful. You must be so proud.

25. this is such a well written, lovely poem. your daughter is an aspiring writer!

26. Nourisha says:

she’s a star. great poem. and how awesome for a preteen to feel that way about her family. either you’re doing something right or the hormones having kicked in yet. hahaha.

27. Lovely poem and an even lovelier, tanlented daughther. 🙂

Grateful for a very full weekend of ministry and preaching in Toronto, Canada (GTA). Such a privilege to partner with @worldvisioncan @wvcollective to advocate for the most vulnerable around the world. God is so gracious. A true honor to meet and encourage local pastors, lecture at Tyndale University & Seminary (photo), and preach at Richmond Hills Community Church, Compass Point Bible Church, and New City Church. Thank you, Lord, that you use broken and imperfect people like me to speak of Your love. Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it. I don't care if it sounds mushy but sunsets are one of my love languages. Seoul, Korea was amazing but WOW...what a breathtaking welcome back sunset by Seattle. Not ready to let go of summer. Seattle. 7:00pm. Desperately holding on to summer. #goldengardenpark #nofilter