thanking god for his intervention

Exactly two months ago today, I ruptured my right Achilles while playing basketball with some men at Quest.  The injury was painful but the emotional stuff was even more painful.  As a result, I officially announced my retirement and took off my mask [& goggles].

I didn’t know it at the time the injury took place but as I reflect on it now, I believe this was God intervening in my life – as He often does – to demonstrate His care, caution, love,  and guidance. Sometimes, in my hubris, I tend to think that God can’t do His work without my participation. And again, I am reminded that God doesn’t really need me. I don’t have to but I get to.  In addition, over the past few months but especially recently, I’ve been once again reminded how important it is to have the rhythm of Sabbath in one’s life. God created this rhythm not because He doesn’t like productivity but because He actually values both our doing and our being…

I don’t have one day where I am able to completely Sabbath with the schedule of three kids and my wife who is in grad school. But at least twice each week, I block out several hours where I will Sabbath. Disconnect from everything else and rest and rejoice before God.

As some of you know, I ruptured my left Achilles several years ago and had surgery and it has healed very well. After some prayer and discussion, I chose to go the path of natural healing with my right Achilles.  I would have preferred surgery but even with insurance, the bill would have been about $3k and well, tis the season to be frugal. Several friends offered to help but Minhee and I prayed and felt at peace. Plus, I wanted my body to be a gift to the sciences.

Well, two weeks ago, I took off my cast and started some careful and light walking. My doctor would not have approved but after reading numerous things on the internet, I chose the aggressive method.

It’s amazing how the a completely ruptured Achilles can reattach and heal itself. Even  more amazing is how the body can atrophy so quickly when it’s not being used. Even after 6 weeks in a cast, my right calf had atrophied dramatically which was one of the reasons why I chose to take off the cast and do some light walking and to slowly rebuild my calf muscles.  I have my doctor’s appointment next Tuesday and I’m praying my doctor will be stunned by how well my heel, Achilles, and calf muscles are doing and encourage me to pursue aggressive Physical Therapy.

The drawback of natural healing is the slightly higher percentage of re-rupture rates [5% vs. 15%] but I’m praying that with therapy, regular exercise, and healthy rhythms in my life, I can be up and running in a few months.

Maybe I’m crazy but I’m really thankful to be walking about. Yesterday, in celebration of 8 weeks post the injury, I picked up a basketball, limped around, and hit a few shots.  Maybe a comeback is in my future…

Thank you so much for your kind words, prayers, and for those who helped prepare meals for my family during the first couple weeks. Thank you for your love…

Share/Bookmark

Filed under: , , , ,

1. Eugene,
    Solid skills. I like the fact that you follow your shot. But that was a Kobe-esque performance of consitency. if you need a point guard, holla at ya boy!

2. pert says:

i won’t call it a comeback, you’ve been here for years.

3. Erick says:

nothing wrong with being a spot up shooter if the Achilles ever gives you trouble…and soon enough you’ll be tossing up alley-oops to your kids, team dime baby.

also, don’t know if you’re much of a cyclist, but it’s obviously a great way to build up calf (and leg) muscle with low impact. I don’t really know if that’s okay to do with an Achilles injury, but maybe bike to work a couple days a week?

Praying for continued healing.

4. Joe says:

Wow. That ankle & achilles looked nasty. Glad you are getting better.

5. Jim Chen says:

Happy to see you moving around so well, so soon. Nice shooting and smooth moving. You’ll be playing again in no time.

6. Tony says:

Nice vid. I was tempted to make some joke about you using computer tricks to doctor the video up but I’ve seen you play. You do have major skills! I appreciate your attitude about this. Lately I have struggled with taking things that cause me pain and looking at them as something positive and God-ordained. Inspirational stuff.

7. Eugene Cho says:

@ryan: i was a PG in high school but the quickness is no more.

@pert: LL baby.

@erick: steve kerr may be my new hero.

@tony: i got many of those jokes today already. brother, you’ve gone through so much this past year. you and angela have inspired me more than you can know. thank you.

8. your friend says:

What an encouragement! God can use anything to let us learn a new lesson.

I learned a lot through your example.

One thing came to mind when I looked at you: When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Your inner strength got stronger through this and you keep going with GOD. I rejoice!

9. Rich says:

You skillz money! Definitely room for an Asian in the NBA. I’ll send em this vid. LOL

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.