introducing: One Day’s Wages

One Day's Wages: a movement to end extreme global poverty

After years of dreaming and conspiring, we’re very excited to share the name and vision of our poverty organization:  One Day’s Wages.

What is our vision?

One Day’s Wages is a grassroots organization and movement by which we hope to inspire millions of people to give their “One Day’s Wages” to fight and end extreme global poverty. 100% of your donations will go directly to fund grants, projects, & organizations that are doing amazing work amongst the poorest of the poor. Our purpose is to promote greater awareness about global extreme poverty, invite simple financial giving, and to provide sustainable relief and empowerment through strategic collaborations. Our vision is to change global issues of injustice affecting millions of people, regardless of race, culture, sex, age, or religion.

Here’s our two minute video intro & vision:

What is our commitment?

We are committing our one year’s salary ($68,000) to launch this movement and invite you to join us by donating one day’s wages. Other donations to help with the initial operations fund are needed and appreciated. Imagine what we can accomplish together! [Here’s why we’ve gone public with our pledge.]

What can you do to join the movement?

• Website We’re working hard to get the beta version out by mid-June. For now, we have a landing page where you can sign up for our newsletters.
  • Facebook Already, 712,472 people have joined our Facebook group.  Imagine leveraging this global community not just for each person’s ‘one day’s wages’ but to unleash their voices to be a voice for the poorest of the poor around the world.
  • TwitterFollow us on Twitter (@onedayswages) and encourage your followers to follow us!

SHARE: Please forward to people that might be interested in donating or joining. Share this link.  Post on your Facebook or blog.  Tweet this.

PRAY: While ODW is a non-religious organization that seeks to change global issues of injustice affecting millions of people, regardless of race, culture, sex, age, or religion, our faith in Christ compels us and so we invite people to support us through prayer.

What’s next?

• The beta version of our website to launch by July 1.
  • Continual building of our infrastructure, board, team, volunteers, implement Facebook strategy, partnerships, and a couple of events. Sign up for our newsletter or follow us on Twitter.  To volunteer, email kate@onedayswages.org
  • OFFICIAL LAUNCH:  Oct. 20, 2009

We are not the first.  There are so many wonderful people and organizations that are already engaged in this pursuit and we are merely joining in.  But thankfully, we are not the last and we sincerely hope you would consider joining us in the beginning stages of what we believe will grow to be a movement.  Thank you.

Eugene, Minhee & the Cho Kids

cho family

***********************************************************

Mailing Address:

c/o Eugene Cho
3223 15th Avenue West
Seattle, WA  98119

Filed under: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Chris says:

Wow. This is amazing and I am excited for the organization.

Thank you and Minhee for your vision and courage. My check is in the mail!

2. steph says:

God bless you, Minhee, and your kids for your obedience and leadership in this vision. The logo is great – love it! I am so excited to see what the Lord does through ODW. Thank you and your family for being such an inspiration in taking a step (and helping us to take it with you) to tackle world poverty.

3. anni says:

congratulations on the birth of this organization — it’s been a long labor! Great logo and idea. i look forward to all that’s going to be accomplished and will be glad to play a part in it.

4. mattbusby says:

Congrats man! Love the name and the giving strategy. The name itself shows how easy it can be to transform the world around us. Keeping up with the journey on here has been great and I can’t wait to see where you and your family take this!

5. Great idea to leverage technology in this way. Let me just say one thing: please please please do not send me junk mail! I love the work that Heifer, World Vision, FH, etc. do but the amount of junk mail I get from them is staggering.

6. Tyler says:

very exciting. great job eugene.

7. Cupcake says:

I really admire your family’s scarify & commitment to help people who live in poverty. May God bless & take care of your family.

8. I’m so glad you get to share this publicly! Amen!

Christine and I will be talking soon about how we can be involved in this.

9. Drew says:

Congrats, Eugene! What an adventure! May God bless you and your family.

10. Dan Holcomb says:

Eugene! Pretty exciting steps – I pray that God’s spirit will guide your team in this amazing new journey!

11. david says:

congrats, PE. excited to see this coming together and moving forward.

12. steve lewis says:

Congrats Eugene. I’m excited for this opportunity for all of us.

13. awesome. linked to this on my latest blog post.

14. jak says:

beautiful… just beautiful!

15. Dan says:

Love the logo, video, and vision. Congratulations!

16. Ryan says:

Very exciting – congratulations, Eugene.

17. danny says:

Congratulations! I am excited about how God will work on your journey to reach your vision and I pray he will bless you all the way.

18. djterasaki says:

i really like your metaphor about how you’re not trying to reinvent the wheel, but instead partner with good, solid orgs/people doing good, solid work already (or in the future). It seems like money given will be well spent. congrats on starting this!

19. bsanner says:

Awesome! Can’t wait to see what God does.

20. Carolyn says:

This is really, really cool.

21. daniel so says:

Eugene – This is fantastic news! I’ve already begun to spread the word in my little corner of the world 🙂

22. Bruce says:

This is great, Eugene – many congratulations on this initative. May you all know God’s blessing upon it.

23. dra says:

time to kick some ass!

24. […] He and his wife are also the visioneers of a new organization to fight global poverty called, One Day’s Wages. You can stalk him at his blog or follow him on Twitter. posted in Cities, Jesus, Social […]

25. […] season – especially w/ the unveiling and soon launch of the grassroots poverty organization, One Day’s Wages. Not just with stuff to do but honestly, stuff on my heart and mind.  I’m not sure about you […]

26. […] May 27, 2009 · No Comments It’s simple really. Who you are makes a difference every day. On your birthday this year and happily ever after, decide to make a global difference by joining One Day’s Wages. […]

27. BK says:

Admire your faithfulness in this pursuit. Your whole family is amazing. Looking forward to supporting this movement.

28. I tried to donate using the Amazon payments button above, and got an error message- some problem with the link.
    Thanks!

29. Eugene Cho says:

@david: thanks for the support.

i’ll check the link but this will work:

30. Jon Pierre says:

Just saw the “Canlis to honor area activists” in the Seattle Times mentioning your invite for your work with One Days Wages. Congrats Eugene.
    We know how hard you work. — Jon Pierre

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 6 hours ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 6 hours ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 6 hours ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 2 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 4 days ago