introducing: One Day’s Wages

One Day's Wages: a movement to end extreme global poverty

After years of dreaming and conspiring, we’re very excited to share the name and vision of our poverty organization:  One Day’s Wages.

What is our vision?

One Day’s Wages is a grassroots organization and movement by which we hope to inspire millions of people to give their “One Day’s Wages” to fight and end extreme global poverty. 100% of your donations will go directly to fund grants, projects, & organizations that are doing amazing work amongst the poorest of the poor. Our purpose is to promote greater awareness about global extreme poverty, invite simple financial giving, and to provide sustainable relief and empowerment through strategic collaborations. Our vision is to change global issues of injustice affecting millions of people, regardless of race, culture, sex, age, or religion.

Here’s our two minute video intro & vision:

What is our commitment?

We are committing our one year’s salary ($68,000) to launch this movement and invite you to join us by donating one day’s wages. Other donations to help with the initial operations fund are needed and appreciated. Imagine what we can accomplish together! [Here’s why we’ve gone public with our pledge.]

What can you do to join the movement?

• Website We’re working hard to get the beta version out by mid-June. For now, we have a landing page where you can sign up for our newsletters.
  • Facebook Already, 712,472 people have joined our Facebook group.  Imagine leveraging this global community not just for each person’s ‘one day’s wages’ but to unleash their voices to be a voice for the poorest of the poor around the world.
  • TwitterFollow us on Twitter (@onedayswages) and encourage your followers to follow us!

SHARE: Please forward to people that might be interested in donating or joining. Share this link.  Post on your Facebook or blog.  Tweet this.

PRAY: While ODW is a non-religious organization that seeks to change global issues of injustice affecting millions of people, regardless of race, culture, sex, age, or religion, our faith in Christ compels us and so we invite people to support us through prayer.

What’s next?

• The beta version of our website to launch by July 1.
  • Continual building of our infrastructure, board, team, volunteers, implement Facebook strategy, partnerships, and a couple of events. Sign up for our newsletter or follow us on Twitter.  To volunteer, email kate@onedayswages.org
  • OFFICIAL LAUNCH:  Oct. 20, 2009

We are not the first.  There are so many wonderful people and organizations that are already engaged in this pursuit and we are merely joining in.  But thankfully, we are not the last and we sincerely hope you would consider joining us in the beginning stages of what we believe will grow to be a movement.  Thank you.

Eugene, Minhee & the Cho Kids

cho family

***********************************************************

Mailing Address:

c/o Eugene Cho
3223 15th Avenue West
Seattle, WA  98119

Filed under: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Chris says:

Wow. This is amazing and I am excited for the organization.

Thank you and Minhee for your vision and courage. My check is in the mail!

2. steph says:

God bless you, Minhee, and your kids for your obedience and leadership in this vision. The logo is great – love it! I am so excited to see what the Lord does through ODW. Thank you and your family for being such an inspiration in taking a step (and helping us to take it with you) to tackle world poverty.

3. anni says:

congratulations on the birth of this organization — it’s been a long labor! Great logo and idea. i look forward to all that’s going to be accomplished and will be glad to play a part in it.

4. mattbusby says:

Congrats man! Love the name and the giving strategy. The name itself shows how easy it can be to transform the world around us. Keeping up with the journey on here has been great and I can’t wait to see where you and your family take this!

5. Great idea to leverage technology in this way. Let me just say one thing: please please please do not send me junk mail! I love the work that Heifer, World Vision, FH, etc. do but the amount of junk mail I get from them is staggering.

6. Tyler says:

very exciting. great job eugene.

7. Cupcake says:

I really admire your family’s scarify & commitment to help people who live in poverty. May God bless & take care of your family.

8. I’m so glad you get to share this publicly! Amen!

Christine and I will be talking soon about how we can be involved in this.

9. Drew says:

Congrats, Eugene! What an adventure! May God bless you and your family.

10. Dan Holcomb says:

Eugene! Pretty exciting steps – I pray that God’s spirit will guide your team in this amazing new journey!

11. david says:

congrats, PE. excited to see this coming together and moving forward.

12. steve lewis says:

Congrats Eugene. I’m excited for this opportunity for all of us.

13. awesome. linked to this on my latest blog post.

14. jak says:

beautiful… just beautiful!

15. Dan says:

Love the logo, video, and vision. Congratulations!

16. Ryan says:

Very exciting – congratulations, Eugene.

17. danny says:

Congratulations! I am excited about how God will work on your journey to reach your vision and I pray he will bless you all the way.

18. djterasaki says:

i really like your metaphor about how you’re not trying to reinvent the wheel, but instead partner with good, solid orgs/people doing good, solid work already (or in the future). It seems like money given will be well spent. congrats on starting this!

19. bsanner says:

Awesome! Can’t wait to see what God does.

20. Carolyn says:

This is really, really cool.

21. daniel so says:

Eugene – This is fantastic news! I’ve already begun to spread the word in my little corner of the world 🙂

22. Bruce says:

This is great, Eugene – many congratulations on this initative. May you all know God’s blessing upon it.

23. dra says:

time to kick some ass!

24. […] He and his wife are also the visioneers of a new organization to fight global poverty called, One Day’s Wages. You can stalk him at his blog or follow him on Twitter. posted in Cities, Jesus, Social […]

25. […] season – especially w/ the unveiling and soon launch of the grassroots poverty organization, One Day’s Wages. Not just with stuff to do but honestly, stuff on my heart and mind.  I’m not sure about you […]

26. […] May 27, 2009 · No Comments It’s simple really. Who you are makes a difference every day. On your birthday this year and happily ever after, decide to make a global difference by joining One Day’s Wages. […]

27. BK says:

Admire your faithfulness in this pursuit. Your whole family is amazing. Looking forward to supporting this movement.

28. I tried to donate using the Amazon payments button above, and got an error message- some problem with the link.
    Thanks!

29. Eugene Cho says:

@david: thanks for the support.

i’ll check the link but this will work:

30. Jon Pierre says:

Just saw the “Canlis to honor area activists” in the Seattle Times mentioning your invite for your work with One Days Wages. Congrats Eugene.
    We know how hard you work. — Jon Pierre

Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor. It's a sad reality but our society runs on the currency of fear. Don't feed into this frenzy.

Rather, invest in faith, hope, and love.