introducing: One Day’s Wages

One Day's Wages: a movement to end extreme global poverty

After years of dreaming and conspiring, we’re very excited to share the name and vision of our poverty organization:  One Day’s Wages.

What is our vision?

One Day’s Wages is a grassroots organization and movement by which we hope to inspire millions of people to give their “One Day’s Wages” to fight and end extreme global poverty. 100% of your donations will go directly to fund grants, projects, & organizations that are doing amazing work amongst the poorest of the poor. Our purpose is to promote greater awareness about global extreme poverty, invite simple financial giving, and to provide sustainable relief and empowerment through strategic collaborations. Our vision is to change global issues of injustice affecting millions of people, regardless of race, culture, sex, age, or religion.

Here’s our two minute video intro & vision:

What is our commitment?

We are committing our one year’s salary ($68,000) to launch this movement and invite you to join us by donating one day’s wages. Other donations to help with the initial operations fund are needed and appreciated. Imagine what we can accomplish together! [Here’s why we’ve gone public with our pledge.]

What can you do to join the movement?

• Website We’re working hard to get the beta version out by mid-June. For now, we have a landing page where you can sign up for our newsletters.
  • Facebook Already, 712,472 people have joined our Facebook group.  Imagine leveraging this global community not just for each person’s ‘one day’s wages’ but to unleash their voices to be a voice for the poorest of the poor around the world.
  • TwitterFollow us on Twitter (@onedayswages) and encourage your followers to follow us!

SHARE: Please forward to people that might be interested in donating or joining. Share this link.  Post on your Facebook or blog.  Tweet this.

PRAY: While ODW is a non-religious organization that seeks to change global issues of injustice affecting millions of people, regardless of race, culture, sex, age, or religion, our faith in Christ compels us and so we invite people to support us through prayer.

What’s next?

• The beta version of our website to launch by July 1.
  • Continual building of our infrastructure, board, team, volunteers, implement Facebook strategy, partnerships, and a couple of events. Sign up for our newsletter or follow us on Twitter.  To volunteer, email kate@onedayswages.org
  • OFFICIAL LAUNCH:  Oct. 20, 2009

We are not the first.  There are so many wonderful people and organizations that are already engaged in this pursuit and we are merely joining in.  But thankfully, we are not the last and we sincerely hope you would consider joining us in the beginning stages of what we believe will grow to be a movement.  Thank you.

Eugene, Minhee & the Cho Kids

cho family

***********************************************************

Mailing Address:

c/o Eugene Cho
3223 15th Avenue West
Seattle, WA  98119

Filed under: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Chris says:

Wow. This is amazing and I am excited for the organization.

Thank you and Minhee for your vision and courage. My check is in the mail!

2. steph says:

God bless you, Minhee, and your kids for your obedience and leadership in this vision. The logo is great – love it! I am so excited to see what the Lord does through ODW. Thank you and your family for being such an inspiration in taking a step (and helping us to take it with you) to tackle world poverty.

3. anni says:

congratulations on the birth of this organization — it’s been a long labor! Great logo and idea. i look forward to all that’s going to be accomplished and will be glad to play a part in it.

4. mattbusby says:

Congrats man! Love the name and the giving strategy. The name itself shows how easy it can be to transform the world around us. Keeping up with the journey on here has been great and I can’t wait to see where you and your family take this!

5. Great idea to leverage technology in this way. Let me just say one thing: please please please do not send me junk mail! I love the work that Heifer, World Vision, FH, etc. do but the amount of junk mail I get from them is staggering.

6. Tyler says:

very exciting. great job eugene.

7. Cupcake says:

I really admire your family’s scarify & commitment to help people who live in poverty. May God bless & take care of your family.

8. I’m so glad you get to share this publicly! Amen!

Christine and I will be talking soon about how we can be involved in this.

9. Drew says:

Congrats, Eugene! What an adventure! May God bless you and your family.

10. Dan Holcomb says:

Eugene! Pretty exciting steps – I pray that God’s spirit will guide your team in this amazing new journey!

11. david says:

congrats, PE. excited to see this coming together and moving forward.

12. steve lewis says:

Congrats Eugene. I’m excited for this opportunity for all of us.

13. awesome. linked to this on my latest blog post.

14. jak says:

beautiful… just beautiful!

15. Dan says:

Love the logo, video, and vision. Congratulations!

16. Ryan says:

Very exciting – congratulations, Eugene.

17. danny says:

Congratulations! I am excited about how God will work on your journey to reach your vision and I pray he will bless you all the way.

18. djterasaki says:

i really like your metaphor about how you’re not trying to reinvent the wheel, but instead partner with good, solid orgs/people doing good, solid work already (or in the future). It seems like money given will be well spent. congrats on starting this!

19. bsanner says:

Awesome! Can’t wait to see what God does.

20. Carolyn says:

This is really, really cool.

21. daniel so says:

Eugene – This is fantastic news! I’ve already begun to spread the word in my little corner of the world 🙂

22. Bruce says:

This is great, Eugene – many congratulations on this initative. May you all know God’s blessing upon it.

23. dra says:

time to kick some ass!

24. […] He and his wife are also the visioneers of a new organization to fight global poverty called, One Day’s Wages. You can stalk him at his blog or follow him on Twitter. posted in Cities, Jesus, Social […]

25. […] season – especially w/ the unveiling and soon launch of the grassroots poverty organization, One Day’s Wages. Not just with stuff to do but honestly, stuff on my heart and mind.  I’m not sure about you […]

26. […] May 27, 2009 · No Comments It’s simple really. Who you are makes a difference every day. On your birthday this year and happily ever after, decide to make a global difference by joining One Day’s Wages. […]

27. BK says:

Admire your faithfulness in this pursuit. Your whole family is amazing. Looking forward to supporting this movement.

28. I tried to donate using the Amazon payments button above, and got an error message- some problem with the link.
    Thanks!

29. Eugene Cho says:

@david: thanks for the support.

i’ll check the link but this will work:

30. Jon Pierre says:

Just saw the “Canlis to honor area activists” in the Seattle Times mentioning your invite for your work with One Days Wages. Congrats Eugene.
    We know how hard you work. — Jon Pierre

These are crazy times in our country and larger world but nevertheless, we're going to keep pursuing the things that God has placed upon our hearts. We're pressing forward...doing our part to reflect mercy, compassion, and justice - locally and globally.

Wednesdays are my @onedayswages office day and I especially love the culmination of hard work for our interns, volunteers, 2 full-time staff, and board as we collaborate with our NGO partners. This week, we signed these checks as we granted out over $75,000 to provide better health care for mothers and their families in Mali and Nepal.

THANK YOU for making this possible Your classic play it cool because you're visiting your old stomping grounds at Princeton and pretend you're not cold but in actuality, you're freezing picture. 20 years, 2 weeks, and counting. What a journey with this woman. I love her...and I want to keep growing in love, honor, and respect. Great to catch up with @jlin7 in Brooklyn at the Nets game. Grateful for his partnership with @onedayswages to support our Girls' Empowerment Fund. The season hasn't been what he hoped for with major injuries...but we can't wait to see you back on the court soon and do what you do. Stay encouraged, brother. Thanks for your faithful witness for Christ. Playoffs! Let's go #11. Point Guard. Living my hoop dreams through my girl.

pc: ed tanaka Following Jesus is not just about going to church. It also involves repenting, seeking justice, loving kindness, walking humbly, feeding the poor, clothing the naked, speaking up for the voiceless, welcoming the refugee, and fighting for the rights of vulnerable. Sometimes, it's scary but Jesus nevertheless commands, "Follow me." Be brave.