introducing: One Day’s Wages

One Day's Wages: a movement to end extreme global poverty

After years of dreaming and conspiring, we’re very excited to share the name and vision of our poverty organization:  One Day’s Wages.

What is our vision?

One Day’s Wages is a grassroots organization and movement by which we hope to inspire millions of people to give their “One Day’s Wages” to fight and end extreme global poverty. 100% of your donations will go directly to fund grants, projects, & organizations that are doing amazing work amongst the poorest of the poor. Our purpose is to promote greater awareness about global extreme poverty, invite simple financial giving, and to provide sustainable relief and empowerment through strategic collaborations. Our vision is to change global issues of injustice affecting millions of people, regardless of race, culture, sex, age, or religion.

Here’s our two minute video intro & vision:

What is our commitment?

We are committing our one year’s salary ($68,000) to launch this movement and invite you to join us by donating one day’s wages. Other donations to help with the initial operations fund are needed and appreciated. Imagine what we can accomplish together! [Here’s why we’ve gone public with our pledge.]

What can you do to join the movement?

• Website We’re working hard to get the beta version out by mid-June. For now, we have a landing page where you can sign up for our newsletters.
  • Facebook Already, 712,472 people have joined our Facebook group.  Imagine leveraging this global community not just for each person’s ‘one day’s wages’ but to unleash their voices to be a voice for the poorest of the poor around the world.
  • TwitterFollow us on Twitter (@onedayswages) and encourage your followers to follow us!

SHARE: Please forward to people that might be interested in donating or joining. Share this link.  Post on your Facebook or blog.  Tweet this.

PRAY: While ODW is a non-religious organization that seeks to change global issues of injustice affecting millions of people, regardless of race, culture, sex, age, or religion, our faith in Christ compels us and so we invite people to support us through prayer.

What’s next?

• The beta version of our website to launch by July 1.
  • Continual building of our infrastructure, board, team, volunteers, implement Facebook strategy, partnerships, and a couple of events. Sign up for our newsletter or follow us on Twitter.  To volunteer, email kate@onedayswages.org
  • OFFICIAL LAUNCH:  Oct. 20, 2009

We are not the first.  There are so many wonderful people and organizations that are already engaged in this pursuit and we are merely joining in.  But thankfully, we are not the last and we sincerely hope you would consider joining us in the beginning stages of what we believe will grow to be a movement.  Thank you.

Eugene, Minhee & the Cho Kids

cho family

***********************************************************

Mailing Address:

c/o Eugene Cho
3223 15th Avenue West
Seattle, WA  98119

Filed under: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Chris says:

Wow. This is amazing and I am excited for the organization.

Thank you and Minhee for your vision and courage. My check is in the mail!

2. steph says:

God bless you, Minhee, and your kids for your obedience and leadership in this vision. The logo is great – love it! I am so excited to see what the Lord does through ODW. Thank you and your family for being such an inspiration in taking a step (and helping us to take it with you) to tackle world poverty.

3. anni says:

congratulations on the birth of this organization — it’s been a long labor! Great logo and idea. i look forward to all that’s going to be accomplished and will be glad to play a part in it.

4. mattbusby says:

Congrats man! Love the name and the giving strategy. The name itself shows how easy it can be to transform the world around us. Keeping up with the journey on here has been great and I can’t wait to see where you and your family take this!

5. Great idea to leverage technology in this way. Let me just say one thing: please please please do not send me junk mail! I love the work that Heifer, World Vision, FH, etc. do but the amount of junk mail I get from them is staggering.

6. Tyler says:

very exciting. great job eugene.

7. Cupcake says:

I really admire your family’s scarify & commitment to help people who live in poverty. May God bless & take care of your family.

8. I’m so glad you get to share this publicly! Amen!

Christine and I will be talking soon about how we can be involved in this.

9. Drew says:

Congrats, Eugene! What an adventure! May God bless you and your family.

10. Dan Holcomb says:

Eugene! Pretty exciting steps – I pray that God’s spirit will guide your team in this amazing new journey!

11. david says:

congrats, PE. excited to see this coming together and moving forward.

12. steve lewis says:

Congrats Eugene. I’m excited for this opportunity for all of us.

13. awesome. linked to this on my latest blog post.

14. jak says:

beautiful… just beautiful!

15. Dan says:

Love the logo, video, and vision. Congratulations!

16. Ryan says:

Very exciting – congratulations, Eugene.

17. danny says:

Congratulations! I am excited about how God will work on your journey to reach your vision and I pray he will bless you all the way.

18. djterasaki says:

i really like your metaphor about how you’re not trying to reinvent the wheel, but instead partner with good, solid orgs/people doing good, solid work already (or in the future). It seems like money given will be well spent. congrats on starting this!

19. bsanner says:

Awesome! Can’t wait to see what God does.

20. Carolyn says:

This is really, really cool.

21. daniel so says:

Eugene – This is fantastic news! I’ve already begun to spread the word in my little corner of the world 🙂

22. Bruce says:

This is great, Eugene – many congratulations on this initative. May you all know God’s blessing upon it.

23. dra says:

time to kick some ass!

24. […] He and his wife are also the visioneers of a new organization to fight global poverty called, One Day’s Wages. You can stalk him at his blog or follow him on Twitter. posted in Cities, Jesus, Social […]

25. […] season – especially w/ the unveiling and soon launch of the grassroots poverty organization, One Day’s Wages. Not just with stuff to do but honestly, stuff on my heart and mind.  I’m not sure about you […]

26. […] May 27, 2009 · No Comments It’s simple really. Who you are makes a difference every day. On your birthday this year and happily ever after, decide to make a global difference by joining One Day’s Wages. […]

27. BK says:

Admire your faithfulness in this pursuit. Your whole family is amazing. Looking forward to supporting this movement.

28. I tried to donate using the Amazon payments button above, and got an error message- some problem with the link.
    Thanks!

29. Eugene Cho says:

@david: thanks for the support.

i’ll check the link but this will work:

30. Jon Pierre says:

Just saw the “Canlis to honor area activists” in the Seattle Times mentioning your invite for your work with One Days Wages. Congrats Eugene.
    We know how hard you work. — Jon Pierre

41 years ago today, our family immigrated to the United States from Seoul, South Korea. I was six years old; the youngest of three sons. My father, when he was also six, fled from what is now known as North Korea. Just recently, he shared with me that he and some of his family had been in a refugee camp when war and violence broke out on the Korean peninsula. It's emotional thinking about what my brothers and I went through coming to a completely foreign country. It wasn't easy. And then, I think about what my parents had to go through:

They fled their homes near Pyongyang which also meant leaving some of their extended families.

They experienced unfathomable hunger and poverty.

They experienced the pain of war.

They immigrated again to the United States as adults with minimal resources and a handful of English words.

All in hopes that their children would have the opportunities that were never afforded to them.

I'm thinking of my brothers today. I'm thinking of my parents and honoring them for their sacrifice and tenacity. And finally, I'm thinking of refugees and immigrants all around the world that are yearning for family, peace, hope, and opportunities. Don't reduce Martin Luther King Jr. to a yearly quote on social media. Live out the dream. Seek first the Kingdom of God. Confront evil. Be a truth-teller. Seek justice. Love mercy. Pursue reconciliation. Build bridges. Love your neighbors. Forgive your enemies. Pray unceasingly. Live a committed life of peace, love, and justice.

The God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today.

Be brave. "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Here's the full context of his famous quote: "The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate. Only love can do that." An important word for the Church... Oh, how God loves the nations. The Scriptures make this so clear. No one - let alone, the leader of a country - should ever disparage other nations with such a disgusting comment.

To the beautiful people of Haiti, El Salvador, and of the many countries of Africa: We are so sorry. Please accept our apologies on behalf of President Trump.

I've had the privilege of being in Haiti twice and numerous countries in Africa including Kenya where I took this picture during an afternoon drive near Kijabe. In many of these visits, I witnessed such creativity, courage, leadership, hospitality and kindness. To follow Jesus without obedience, repentance, self-denial, and dying to self is an oxymoron. In other words, are we more in love with the idea of following Jesus than actually following Jesus?

Grateful for an incredible Sunday at @seattlequest of beginning our 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting.