one of the greatest days of my life

jcbaptism1

This past Sunday was one of the greatest days of my life.  Minhee and I, along with our other two younger children, and the larger Quest family, witnessed the baptism of my oldest daughter, JC, who after much prayer, chose to make this public profession of her love and devotion to Jesus.  Minhee and the kids came on stage along with others in JC’s class and I had the great joy as her father to baptize her.

It is really hard to put into words  the emotions that Minhee and I experienced but in two words:

Amazing Grace.

Each of our children are proof of God’s amazing grace over our lives.  It wasn’t long ago that JC was just a precocious and precious 2 year old girl with a smile that made my knees weak.

dsc00050

She then started forming some of her own thoughts and opinions. When she learned how to write some words around 6 years old, she wrote this note and placed it on her door after getting in trouble for something:

And then in fourth grade, she blew us away with  her answer to a homework assignment where she was asked to write an essay about how she would help others if she had $100,000. Her “vision plan” challenged and convicted us and helped give birth to our global poverty initiative. Click on the pic to read her essay.

copy-of-100kplan.jpg

Thank you God for giving Minhee and I the deep joy, privilege, and responsibility of nurturing, teaching, and sheperding our three children.  May we not just merely teach but demonstrate to them the wonders and grace of your amazing love through our lives, marriage, and parenting.  May we teach them to Love God and Love Neighbors; to Do Justice, Love Mercy, and Walk Humbly.

Filed under: , , , ,

1. jHong says:

what an incredible blessing she is! i had a late night on saturday but i wouldn’t have missed it for the world. i was so challenged and blessed by her sincere faith. i knew that i would cry at least a little but let me tell you, i was boohooing like WOAH. i feel so proud and so privileged to have been a small part of such a big day.

2. Al Shaw says:

Wow.

I had the privilege of baptizing my own two daughters several years back and I although we have not met, I can truely relate to all you have experienced.

Thank you Lord for your indescribable grace.

3. Yena says:

Congratulations! You are blessed – she’s a special girl and I’m sure God will accomplish great things through her. Thanks for sharing your special day with us.

4. mary miller says:

gorgeous girl inside & out. just wonderful. tnx 4 sharing such a blessing!

5. Jim Chen says:

Congrats PE and family! Not there to see that, but what a special day for everyone! Greetings and blessings from Guam!

6. henryjz says:

I look forward to the day that I get to do that with my kids. I celebrate with you. Awesome!

7. peter ong says:

that is just beautiful. thank for sharing your life with the blog world. you rock.

8. iy. says:

do not destervive!!! hahahahahahahahah awesome.
    i gotta get to know samohnim and your kids.

9. Jim Dekker says:

A great blessing and humble honor to see our children grow in Christ!

10. Hang says:

Your daughter is indeed a special girl to you and the Lord. I have a young todler and am praying everyday that someday when he grows up he will make his own dicision to accept Jesus Christ as your daughter did.

11. Beth says:

There are these moments that God gives pastors to help them through hard times!

Remember this day, and the privilege you have as a minister of the sacraments *to your own flesh and blood,* Eugene. I promise JC will remember the blessing of having *her father* baptize her, and give her the elements at communion.

What peculiar, and precious benefits of your calling!

12. your friend says:

I was moved to tears.

I was her age when I got baptized – baptism was like God’s text marker for me.

I pray it will be the same for her…

Lots of love from the other auntie!

13. […] ‘One of the greatest days of my life’ April 30, 2009 Eugene Cho celebrates the baptism of his daughter, Minhee […]

14. […] past week, at our church’s “Day Retreat”, marked another of  those memorable “one of the greatest days of my […]

Made it to 47 years old this psst week. Grateful for God's grace and all those who believed in me, prayed for me, encouraged me, invested in me, forgave me, fed me, loved me, and _____ me.

I've come a long way since my first school picture  at the age of 6 - the age I immigrated to the United States. And long way to go. You can do it, sun. Break through the clouds. I love her. Saturday morning date at Pike Market with @minheejcho. Enjoying the final day of sun before 6 months of rain and gray. Not lol'ing. Some of my moat memorable travels have been to Myanmar (otherwise known as Burma). In fact, the vision of @onedayswages began on my first visit to this country in 2006. On a recent visit, I began learning about the Rohingya people. Sadly, it has escalated to horrendous, genocidal proportions.

Thus far, about 500,000 people have been driven out from Myanmar through violence...with most going to Bangledesh...regulated to a massive refugee camp. Stateless. Undocumented. Minority groups. Dehumanized. Homes and villages destroyed. And so much more unspeakable atrocities.

Yes, it's complex and messy. It always is. But the root of this injustice as the case for so much brokeness in the world is the sin of dehumanizing one anotber as..."the other." May we see each person, including the Rohingya people, as one who is created in the image of God. It's the truth and the remedy to the incessant dehumanization that goes on in our world.

Lord, in your mercy. The obedience of discipleship which includes the work of justice is a marathon. It's long, arduous, and emotional. Be tenacious. But also take care of yourself. Create healthy rhythms. Don't burn out. We need you for the marathon. Friends, don't give up. Press on. In the midst of so much chaos in the world, may we continue to cling to the hope of the whole Gospel. May we cling unto Jesus:

Way maker!
Miracle worker!
Promise keeper!
Light in the darkness!
That is who You are!

What an encounter with the Holy Spirit at @seattlequest today. Grateful for our worship team, the gospel choir, and the Audio/Visual team. Thank you Matt, Teresita, and Chris. Please thank all the volunteers for us.