one of the greatest days of my life

jcbaptism1

This past Sunday was one of the greatest days of my life.  Minhee and I, along with our other two younger children, and the larger Quest family, witnessed the baptism of my oldest daughter, JC, who after much prayer, chose to make this public profession of her love and devotion to Jesus.  Minhee and the kids came on stage along with others in JC’s class and I had the great joy as her father to baptize her.

It is really hard to put into words  the emotions that Minhee and I experienced but in two words:

Amazing Grace.

Each of our children are proof of God’s amazing grace over our lives.  It wasn’t long ago that JC was just a precocious and precious 2 year old girl with a smile that made my knees weak.

dsc00050

She then started forming some of her own thoughts and opinions. When she learned how to write some words around 6 years old, she wrote this note and placed it on her door after getting in trouble for something:

And then in fourth grade, she blew us away with  her answer to a homework assignment where she was asked to write an essay about how she would help others if she had $100,000. Her “vision plan” challenged and convicted us and helped give birth to our global poverty initiative. Click on the pic to read her essay.

copy-of-100kplan.jpg

Thank you God for giving Minhee and I the deep joy, privilege, and responsibility of nurturing, teaching, and sheperding our three children.  May we not just merely teach but demonstrate to them the wonders and grace of your amazing love through our lives, marriage, and parenting.  May we teach them to Love God and Love Neighbors; to Do Justice, Love Mercy, and Walk Humbly.

Filed under: , , , ,

1. jHong says:

what an incredible blessing she is! i had a late night on saturday but i wouldn’t have missed it for the world. i was so challenged and blessed by her sincere faith. i knew that i would cry at least a little but let me tell you, i was boohooing like WOAH. i feel so proud and so privileged to have been a small part of such a big day.

2. Al Shaw says:

Wow.

I had the privilege of baptizing my own two daughters several years back and I although we have not met, I can truely relate to all you have experienced.

Thank you Lord for your indescribable grace.

3. Yena says:

Congratulations! You are blessed – she’s a special girl and I’m sure God will accomplish great things through her. Thanks for sharing your special day with us.

4. mary miller says:

gorgeous girl inside & out. just wonderful. tnx 4 sharing such a blessing!

5. Jim Chen says:

Congrats PE and family! Not there to see that, but what a special day for everyone! Greetings and blessings from Guam!

6. henryjz says:

I look forward to the day that I get to do that with my kids. I celebrate with you. Awesome!

7. peter ong says:

that is just beautiful. thank for sharing your life with the blog world. you rock.

8. iy. says:

do not destervive!!! hahahahahahahahah awesome.
    i gotta get to know samohnim and your kids.

9. Jim Dekker says:

A great blessing and humble honor to see our children grow in Christ!

10. Hang says:

Your daughter is indeed a special girl to you and the Lord. I have a young todler and am praying everyday that someday when he grows up he will make his own dicision to accept Jesus Christ as your daughter did.

11. Beth says:

There are these moments that God gives pastors to help them through hard times!

Remember this day, and the privilege you have as a minister of the sacraments *to your own flesh and blood,* Eugene. I promise JC will remember the blessing of having *her father* baptize her, and give her the elements at communion.

What peculiar, and precious benefits of your calling!

12. your friend says:

I was moved to tears.

I was her age when I got baptized – baptism was like God’s text marker for me.

I pray it will be the same for her…

Lots of love from the other auntie!

13. […] ‘One of the greatest days of my life’ April 30, 2009 Eugene Cho celebrates the baptism of his daughter, Minhee […]

14. […] past week, at our church’s “Day Retreat”, marked another of  those memorable “one of the greatest days of my […]

Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it. I don't care if it sounds mushy but sunsets are one of my love languages. Seoul, Korea was amazing but WOW...what a breathtaking welcome back sunset by Seattle. Not ready to let go of summer. Seattle. 7:00pm. Desperately holding on to summer. #goldengardenpark #nofilter Happy Birthday, Minhee! I'm so grateful for you. You radiate faith, hope, and love.  No...you don't complete me. That would be silly and simply humanly impossible but you keep pointing me and our family to Christ who informs and transforms our lives, marriage, family, and ministry. Thanks for being so faithful. I love you so much. (* And what a gift to be in Korea together.)