the courage to go for it

As an introvert and someone who has struggled with “shyness” for a good chunk of my life, I can’t tell you how proud I am of all of our kids.

Our kids are naturally timid and shy. At times, it’s difficult to see since it brings up memories of my personal struggles and confidence – particularly as I immigrated to this country at age 6 only equipped with three English words: Hello, Bye, and Thank-You (or “Sank you”).  I was even voted the “shyest person” in 6th grade.

But, I suppose this is all part of the process of “finding” oneself and maturation. While our kids are still young (13, 10, and 8), it’s been beautiful to see them emerge in courage and confidence.

I’m especially thankful that as they wrestle with identity and personality, they are finding the courage to:

• Speak up and voice their opinions
  • Pursue their passions
  • Try new things and adventures

Speaking of trying new things, our son, Jedi  – our youngest child – came home recently to share that he had decided to run for School Council.

And with that, he launched “his campaign” by making his poster and prepared this speech below:

” I am running for a student council, because I’m in 3rd grade. I believe that 3rd grade is special because you are in the middle of elementary school.

My goal is to do new things in 3rd grade. So I am doing student council. And I want to help you with your needs. And I know you and me will change throughout the year. That is why you should vote for me.

And “May the force be with you!'”

And…he won. Got the most votes in his class but who’s counting. 😉

• Am I happy that he won? Of course.
  • Is he happy that he won? Of course.

But honestly, it’s not about the “victory.” It’s the fact that he wanted to try and went for it.

We all need that kind of courage.

Filed under:

1. Joey McGee says:

This is awesome! Thanks for the encouragement and reminder!

2. katey says:

I ran our student store in third grade through student council. On my first day, I was so nervous I could barely give people the right change for their $.09 cent eraser tops and $.15 pencils. the force is definitely with your sweet Jedi.

3. YJK says:

Where IS that “love” button!!! 🙂 Totally relate as someone who fights being an introvert to this day. May the force be fierce! Go Jedi! (Awesome name, btw).

4. jddoug17 says:

Love that Jedi stepped out of the circle that so easily constrains and contains us. Just wrote a blog along these lines today.

5. Jason says:

What a cool kid…love the poster…bonus for naming you child Jedi…my wife would never let me get away with it.

6. Tony says:

I can’t get over the fact that your wife let you name your son Jedi. My wife wouldn’t let me name mine John Calvin… I had to go with just Calvin.

7. Angela says:

Good work, Jedi! As Student Council Advisor that is the first “May the Force Be With You” Campaign I’ve heard of. Totally beats guaranteeing pop machines in the lunchroom (never gonna happen…)

8. Irene (Eunhae) says:

I’m also an introvert and shy person, and I am currently a freshman in college. It’s been hard trying to come out of my shell, but reading this has given me courage to be myself. Gam sa ham ni da! ^^

Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns. I missed you, Seattle. Grateful for a time to pray, rest, retreat, read, reflect, and sabbath. I've spent the last 12 days in the woods alone. Competely alone. It's been both haunting and refreshing. Haunting because of loneliness. Refreshing because through the silence, I am reminded - again - that I'm not alone. Emmanuel.

Also, bought myself a cheap kayak and loving the solitude time in nature. Also, the kayak is paying instant dividends in my bass fishing game. #sabbathrest #bassfishing #catchandrelease There's nothing selfish about rest and self-care. We can't give what we don't have. Experience life and we'll be life-giving to others. Amen.

#NoteToSelf