qcafe: support your local music venue

We had another great show with Derek Webb at Q Cafe this past weekend and captured some great photos (via Leo Chen Photography). Some of you may know Derek Webb as he’s been in some controversy recently but regardless, great show with a sold out crowd.

Q Cafe started in 2002 and while we’ve had our ups and downs, its been great to see its presence growing in the city as a cafe, music venue, and community space.

We’ve had some amazing artists

– locally and nationally – play our 238 capacity venue over the years: Nickelcreek, Smoosh, Tyrone Wells, Chris Tomlin, Ingrid Michaelson, William Fitzsimmons, The Head and the Heart, Rocky Votolato, Joshua Roman (cellist) and more.

While 70% of our shows are typically allocated for local artists from Seattle and the Northwest, we’re also growing as a venue for some national artists as we gain the ears of more artists and agents.  If your favorite artists are touring around the country and looking for a venue in Seattle, let them know and let us know (email: office@qcafe.org).

Several reasons why I dig the Q Cafe venue:

• All-ages. People are there to listen to you and not just to get hammered. Folks need to support their local all-ages music venue. There’s not too many around.
  • Space. Capacity is 238 and that’s a great size for a great concert. But the cafe space is so intimate, it feels full with 80+ people.
  • Ethos. It’s a great vibe and feel as you can likely sense through the pictures.
  • Purpose. As a non-profit cafe & venue, we donate 10% of our cafe sales to other non-profit orgs and host community events.

So, here’s my question:

Who do you want playing Q Cafe?

While 70% of our shows are typically allocated for local artists from Seattle and the Northwest, I still have goals of trying to get Blue Scholars, The Fray, Clara Chung, and Sufjan Stevens amongst others at our space. Might even try to get U2 to do an intimate show. Who knows? 😉

Filed under:

1. Jason says:

If I ever get up your way I will for sure drop in. Sounds like my kind of place.

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eugene Cho and derek webb, The BGP. The BGP said: So thankful to @QCafe for giving us our start. RT @EugeneCho Some amazing photos from the soldout @derekwebb at @QCafe: http://bit.ly/iimhxk […]

3. William Kim says:

Yall should try to get dave barnes or Matt wertz. Or Your local Allen Stone would be a huuuuge hit.

4. Lenore says:

so if i send this link to my fave artists, I don’t see where connects them with Q to follow up with an inquiry if they are interested

5. Jill says:

I’m definitely down for an intimate U2 show! I put in my request to volunteer for that event now ;)!

6. Josh says:

The Civil Wars and Doug Burr come to mind for me….I’d love to open for either of them. 🙂

7. pert says:

sondre lerche would be amazing for the q!

8. The Q sounds great. There isn’t a place, that I know of, in my city. I have thought about trying to get it started, but it sounds like alot of work and may be hard to find investors.

9. Chunghah Hoffman says:

I love the band Eisley, and though I haven’t been to the Q cafe (yet), I think they would be a great fit. And they’ve got a new album coming out in March!

10. Mark Stewart says:

Pierce Pettis!

Don't reduce Martin Luther King Jr. to a yearly quote on social media. Live out the dream. Seek first the Kingdom of God. Confront evil. Be a truth-teller. Seek justice. Love mercy. Pursue reconciliation. Build bridges. Love your neighbors. Forgive your enemies. Pray unceasingly. Live a committed life of peace, love, and justice.

The God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today.

Be brave. "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Here's the full context of his famous quote: "The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate. Only love can do that." An important word for the Church... Oh, how God loves the nations. The Scriptures make this so clear. No one - let alone, the leader of a country - should ever disparage other nations with such a disgusting comment.

To the beautiful people of Haiti, El Salvador, and of the many countries of Africa: We are so sorry. Please accept our apologies on behalf of President Trump.

I've had the privilege of being in Haiti twice and numerous countries in Africa including Kenya where I took this picture during an afternoon drive near Kijabe. In many of these visits, I witnessed such creativity, courage, leadership, hospitality and kindness. To follow Jesus without obedience, repentance, self-denial, and dying to self is an oxymoron. In other words, are we more in love with the idea of following Jesus than actually following Jesus?

Grateful for an incredible Sunday at @seattlequest of beginning our 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting. I hate this: “We love the truth when it enlightens us, but hate it when it convicts us” ~ St. Augustine