qcafe: support your local music venue

We had another great show with Derek Webb at Q Cafe this past weekend and captured some great photos (via Leo Chen Photography). Some of you may know Derek Webb as he’s been in some controversy recently but regardless, great show with a sold out crowd.

Q Cafe started in 2002 and while we’ve had our ups and downs, its been great to see its presence growing in the city as a cafe, music venue, and community space.

We’ve had some amazing artists

– locally and nationally – play our 238 capacity venue over the years: Nickelcreek, Smoosh, Tyrone Wells, Chris Tomlin, Ingrid Michaelson, William Fitzsimmons, The Head and the Heart, Rocky Votolato, Joshua Roman (cellist) and more.

While 70% of our shows are typically allocated for local artists from Seattle and the Northwest, we’re also growing as a venue for some national artists as we gain the ears of more artists and agents.  If your favorite artists are touring around the country and looking for a venue in Seattle, let them know and let us know (email: office@qcafe.org).

Several reasons why I dig the Q Cafe venue:

• All-ages. People are there to listen to you and not just to get hammered. Folks need to support their local all-ages music venue. There’s not too many around.
  • Space. Capacity is 238 and that’s a great size for a great concert. But the cafe space is so intimate, it feels full with 80+ people.
  • Ethos. It’s a great vibe and feel as you can likely sense through the pictures.
  • Purpose. As a non-profit cafe & venue, we donate 10% of our cafe sales to other non-profit orgs and host community events.

So, here’s my question:

Who do you want playing Q Cafe?

While 70% of our shows are typically allocated for local artists from Seattle and the Northwest, I still have goals of trying to get Blue Scholars, The Fray, Clara Chung, and Sufjan Stevens amongst others at our space. Might even try to get U2 to do an intimate show. Who knows? 😉

Filed under:

1. Jason says:

If I ever get up your way I will for sure drop in. Sounds like my kind of place.

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eugene Cho and derek webb, The BGP. The BGP said: So thankful to @QCafe for giving us our start. RT @EugeneCho Some amazing photos from the soldout @derekwebb at @QCafe: http://bit.ly/iimhxk […]

3. William Kim says:

Yall should try to get dave barnes or Matt wertz. Or Your local Allen Stone would be a huuuuge hit.

4. Lenore says:

so if i send this link to my fave artists, I don’t see where connects them with Q to follow up with an inquiry if they are interested

5. Jill says:

I’m definitely down for an intimate U2 show! I put in my request to volunteer for that event now ;)!

6. Josh says:

The Civil Wars and Doug Burr come to mind for me….I’d love to open for either of them. 🙂

7. pert says:

sondre lerche would be amazing for the q!

8. The Q sounds great. There isn’t a place, that I know of, in my city. I have thought about trying to get it started, but it sounds like alot of work and may be hard to find investors.

9. Chunghah Hoffman says:

I love the band Eisley, and though I haven’t been to the Q cafe (yet), I think they would be a great fit. And they’ve got a new album coming out in March!

10. Mark Stewart says:

Pierce Pettis!

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 1 day ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 3 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 3 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 3 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 4 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 5 days ago