qcafe: support your local music venue

We had another great show with Derek Webb at Q Cafe this past weekend and captured some great photos (via Leo Chen Photography). Some of you may know Derek Webb as he’s been in some controversy recently but regardless, great show with a sold out crowd.

Q Cafe started in 2002 and while we’ve had our ups and downs, its been great to see its presence growing in the city as a cafe, music venue, and community space.

We’ve had some amazing artists

– locally and nationally – play our 238 capacity venue over the years: Nickelcreek, Smoosh, Tyrone Wells, Chris Tomlin, Ingrid Michaelson, William Fitzsimmons, The Head and the Heart, Rocky Votolato, Joshua Roman (cellist) and more.

While 70% of our shows are typically allocated for local artists from Seattle and the Northwest, we’re also growing as a venue for some national artists as we gain the ears of more artists and agents.  If your favorite artists are touring around the country and looking for a venue in Seattle, let them know and let us know (email: office@qcafe.org).

Several reasons why I dig the Q Cafe venue:

• All-ages. People are there to listen to you and not just to get hammered. Folks need to support their local all-ages music venue. There’s not too many around.
  • Space. Capacity is 238 and that’s a great size for a great concert. But the cafe space is so intimate, it feels full with 80+ people.
  • Ethos. It’s a great vibe and feel as you can likely sense through the pictures.
  • Purpose. As a non-profit cafe & venue, we donate 10% of our cafe sales to other non-profit orgs and host community events.

So, here’s my question:

Who do you want playing Q Cafe?

While 70% of our shows are typically allocated for local artists from Seattle and the Northwest, I still have goals of trying to get Blue Scholars, The Fray, Clara Chung, and Sufjan Stevens amongst others at our space. Might even try to get U2 to do an intimate show. Who knows? 😉

Filed under:

1. Jason says:

If I ever get up your way I will for sure drop in. Sounds like my kind of place.

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eugene Cho and derek webb, The BGP. The BGP said: So thankful to @QCafe for giving us our start. RT @EugeneCho Some amazing photos from the soldout @derekwebb at @QCafe: http://bit.ly/iimhxk […]

3. William Kim says:

Yall should try to get dave barnes or Matt wertz. Or Your local Allen Stone would be a huuuuge hit.

4. Lenore says:

so if i send this link to my fave artists, I don’t see where connects them with Q to follow up with an inquiry if they are interested

5. Jill says:

I’m definitely down for an intimate U2 show! I put in my request to volunteer for that event now ;)!

6. Josh says:

The Civil Wars and Doug Burr come to mind for me….I’d love to open for either of them. 🙂

7. pert says:

sondre lerche would be amazing for the q!

8. The Q sounds great. There isn’t a place, that I know of, in my city. I have thought about trying to get it started, but it sounds like alot of work and may be hard to find investors.

9. Chunghah Hoffman says:

I love the band Eisley, and though I haven’t been to the Q cafe (yet), I think they would be a great fit. And they’ve got a new album coming out in March!

10. Mark Stewart says:

Pierce Pettis!

These are crazy times in our country and larger world but nevertheless, we're going to keep pursuing the things that God has placed upon our hearts. We're pressing forward...doing our part to reflect mercy, compassion, and justice - locally and globally.

Wednesdays are my @onedayswages office day and I especially love the culmination of hard work for our interns, volunteers, 2 full-time staff, and board as we collaborate with our NGO partners. This week, we signed these checks as we granted out over $75,000 to provide better health care for mothers and their families in Mali and Nepal.

THANK YOU for making this possible Your classic play it cool because you're visiting your old stomping grounds at Princeton and pretend you're not cold but in actuality, you're freezing picture. 20 years, 2 weeks, and counting. What a journey with this woman. I love her...and I want to keep growing in love, honor, and respect. Great to catch up with @jlin7 in Brooklyn at the Nets game. Grateful for his partnership with @onedayswages to support our Girls' Empowerment Fund. The season hasn't been what he hoped for with major injuries...but we can't wait to see you back on the court soon and do what you do. Stay encouraged, brother. Thanks for your faithful witness for Christ. Playoffs! Let's go #11. Point Guard. Living my hoop dreams through my girl.

pc: ed tanaka Following Jesus is not just about going to church. It also involves repenting, seeking justice, loving kindness, walking humbly, feeding the poor, clothing the naked, speaking up for the voiceless, welcoming the refugee, and fighting for the rights of vulnerable. Sometimes, it's scary but Jesus nevertheless commands, "Follow me." Be brave.