qcafe: support your local music venue

We had another great show with Derek Webb at Q Cafe this past weekend and captured some great photos (via Leo Chen Photography). Some of you may know Derek Webb as he’s been in some controversy recently but regardless, great show with a sold out crowd.

Q Cafe started in 2002 and while we’ve had our ups and downs, its been great to see its presence growing in the city as a cafe, music venue, and community space.

We’ve had some amazing artists

– locally and nationally – play our 238 capacity venue over the years: Nickelcreek, Smoosh, Tyrone Wells, Chris Tomlin, Ingrid Michaelson, William Fitzsimmons, The Head and the Heart, Rocky Votolato, Joshua Roman (cellist) and more.

While 70% of our shows are typically allocated for local artists from Seattle and the Northwest, we’re also growing as a venue for some national artists as we gain the ears of more artists and agents.  If your favorite artists are touring around the country and looking for a venue in Seattle, let them know and let us know (email: office@qcafe.org).

Several reasons why I dig the Q Cafe venue:

• All-ages. People are there to listen to you and not just to get hammered. Folks need to support their local all-ages music venue. There’s not too many around.
  • Space. Capacity is 238 and that’s a great size for a great concert. But the cafe space is so intimate, it feels full with 80+ people.
  • Ethos. It’s a great vibe and feel as you can likely sense through the pictures.
  • Purpose. As a non-profit cafe & venue, we donate 10% of our cafe sales to other non-profit orgs and host community events.

So, here’s my question:

Who do you want playing Q Cafe?

While 70% of our shows are typically allocated for local artists from Seattle and the Northwest, I still have goals of trying to get Blue Scholars, The Fray, Clara Chung, and Sufjan Stevens amongst others at our space. Might even try to get U2 to do an intimate show. Who knows? 😉

Filed under:

1. Jason says:

If I ever get up your way I will for sure drop in. Sounds like my kind of place.

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eugene Cho and derek webb, The BGP. The BGP said: So thankful to @QCafe for giving us our start. RT @EugeneCho Some amazing photos from the soldout @derekwebb at @QCafe: http://bit.ly/iimhxk […]

3. William Kim says:

Yall should try to get dave barnes or Matt wertz. Or Your local Allen Stone would be a huuuuge hit.

4. Lenore says:

so if i send this link to my fave artists, I don’t see where connects them with Q to follow up with an inquiry if they are interested

5. Jill says:

I’m definitely down for an intimate U2 show! I put in my request to volunteer for that event now ;)!

6. Josh says:

The Civil Wars and Doug Burr come to mind for me….I’d love to open for either of them. 🙂

7. pert says:

sondre lerche would be amazing for the q!

8. The Q sounds great. There isn’t a place, that I know of, in my city. I have thought about trying to get it started, but it sounds like alot of work and may be hard to find investors.

9. Chunghah Hoffman says:

I love the band Eisley, and though I haven’t been to the Q cafe (yet), I think they would be a great fit. And they’ve got a new album coming out in March!

10. Mark Stewart says:

Pierce Pettis!

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working