qcafe: support your local music venue

We had another great show with Derek Webb at Q Cafe this past weekend and captured some great photos (via Leo Chen Photography). Some of you may know Derek Webb as he’s been in some controversy recently but regardless, great show with a sold out crowd.

Q Cafe started in 2002 and while we’ve had our ups and downs, its been great to see its presence growing in the city as a cafe, music venue, and community space.

We’ve had some amazing artists

– locally and nationally – play our 238 capacity venue over the years: Nickelcreek, Smoosh, Tyrone Wells, Chris Tomlin, Ingrid Michaelson, William Fitzsimmons, The Head and the Heart, Rocky Votolato, Joshua Roman (cellist) and more.

While 70% of our shows are typically allocated for local artists from Seattle and the Northwest, we’re also growing as a venue for some national artists as we gain the ears of more artists and agents.  If your favorite artists are touring around the country and looking for a venue in Seattle, let them know and let us know (email: office@qcafe.org).

Several reasons why I dig the Q Cafe venue:

• All-ages. People are there to listen to you and not just to get hammered. Folks need to support their local all-ages music venue. There’s not too many around.
  • Space. Capacity is 238 and that’s a great size for a great concert. But the cafe space is so intimate, it feels full with 80+ people.
  • Ethos. It’s a great vibe and feel as you can likely sense through the pictures.
  • Purpose. As a non-profit cafe & venue, we donate 10% of our cafe sales to other non-profit orgs and host community events.

So, here’s my question:

Who do you want playing Q Cafe?

While 70% of our shows are typically allocated for local artists from Seattle and the Northwest, I still have goals of trying to get Blue Scholars, The Fray, Clara Chung, and Sufjan Stevens amongst others at our space. Might even try to get U2 to do an intimate show. Who knows? 😉

Filed under:

1. Jason says:

If I ever get up your way I will for sure drop in. Sounds like my kind of place.

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eugene Cho and derek webb, The BGP. The BGP said: So thankful to @QCafe for giving us our start. RT @EugeneCho Some amazing photos from the soldout @derekwebb at @QCafe: http://bit.ly/iimhxk […]

3. William Kim says:

Yall should try to get dave barnes or Matt wertz. Or Your local Allen Stone would be a huuuuge hit.

4. Lenore says:

so if i send this link to my fave artists, I don’t see where connects them with Q to follow up with an inquiry if they are interested

5. Jill says:

I’m definitely down for an intimate U2 show! I put in my request to volunteer for that event now ;)!

6. Josh says:

The Civil Wars and Doug Burr come to mind for me….I’d love to open for either of them. 🙂

7. pert says:

sondre lerche would be amazing for the q!

8. The Q sounds great. There isn’t a place, that I know of, in my city. I have thought about trying to get it started, but it sounds like alot of work and may be hard to find investors.

9. Chunghah Hoffman says:

I love the band Eisley, and though I haven’t been to the Q cafe (yet), I think they would be a great fit. And they’ve got a new album coming out in March!

10. Mark Stewart says:

Pierce Pettis!

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.