my first album! new cho: state of mind

I’m pleased to announce to the world my first album!

I’m producing my first album where all the songs will be about me. Yes, that’s right. Songs about me.  From here on out, I’d like to be called by my hip-hop street name:

Minister Sinister

Seriously, the incredible Quest staff threw me a surprise birthday party yesterday and showered me with words, prayer, food, an iPad, and one of our staff wrote and record this song.

Much love and kudos to Tony Nabors aka Altar Ego. Beth Freitas for singing the hook. Angela Nabors for the album cover.

• The song will be availabe on iTunes soon. $1.29/download.
  • We’re raising funds to shoot the music video.
  • We’re going on tour in 2011.
  • And this is all a farce.

But here’s the song. Seriously…Tony…this is good…all at the expense of making fun of me & showing me some love.

VERSE 1
Button up my dress shirt, on my way to Quest Church
Came to hear a fresh word, more than just a lecture
Foot on the gas, driving fast past the Ballard Bridge
Soul nearly broken people hopin they can salvage it

Sounds legit—when everybody starts to worshipin
Prayers lifted up—to the Spirit we gon’ usher in
Songs lifted up—two churches did a merger with
And now the pastor wants to touch your heart like a surgeon did

First he hits the stage then, with no hesitation
Gets to exegetin scripture with gesticulation
Hands all in the air, preachin like he gives a care
Laid bare, Word made clear so we may hear

Goodwill suit jacket fresh Puma kicks
$10 for that coat? They must be lunatics
Deal of the century, feelin so much energy
Who’s that sayin “Time flies fast” that’s definitely PE

HOOK
Pastor Eugene Cho!
It’s official you’re such an oldie
Now that you are 40

Pastor Eugene Cho!
Happy birthday how do you feel now
Knowin it’s all downhill now
Yes you are real old, real old, real old

VERSE 2
Have you ever met a pastor like him?
We call him pastor cuz he passed an opportunity for wealth to follow Christ
And cuz the only buck he passed is sendin cash to those in crisis
Because the cost of life is priceless

Who else do you know could define a goal
And then pursue it with his whole body mind and soul
Able to change your whole perspective no mind control
All for the mission of Christ, so you can find the Holy Ghost

And did I mention that Eugene is a baller
Supreme on the court, no Sandra Day-O’Connor
So honor the game—he keeps it filthy
Minhee’s screamin “DON’T HURT YOUR ACCHILLES”

His faith could maybe make the dead rise
We call him Darth Vader cuz he fathered a Jedi
Passin on the blessin’s pay attention to his story
He’s in his own dimension, that’s why we call him 4-D (40)
Get it?

HOOK

BRIDGE
His mission is to take care of the Emerald City
Even though he knows the road ain’t lookin pretty
Preachin with his zipper down he’s unaware
Almost fell out of his chair, and it made him say
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Filed under: , , ,

1. sagein says:

first 3-ish stanzas were cool :D. Actually props to the whole rap

2. Jin says:

OMG. i swear we destroyed you in 1999.

3. Bo says:

Oh no y’all didn’t. Happy B-Day Eugene. Give it up to Tony!

4. hopewanders says:

Tony!! Amazing.

5. Dale says:

Tony, time to make a music video!

6. Emily says:

Oh my gosh, that was the best thing I’ve ever heard!!! haha!!! That was awesome!

7. thenaborhood says:

Thanks for the shoutout PE!

8. Lauren Rimkus says:

This is epic. I am dying!!

9. david says:

jay-z who? nice work, tony. and don’t worry, PE- 40 is the new 37.

10. steve h. says:

Amazing song but the cover looks more like Che than Cho.

11. David says:

Nice post. Appreciate everything you do. Keep it up 🙂

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 4 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 4 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago