my first album! new cho: state of mind

I’m pleased to announce to the world my first album!

I’m producing my first album where all the songs will be about me. Yes, that’s right. Songs about me.  From here on out, I’d like to be called by my hip-hop street name:

Minister Sinister

Seriously, the incredible Quest staff threw me a surprise birthday party yesterday and showered me with words, prayer, food, an iPad, and one of our staff wrote and record this song.

Much love and kudos to Tony Nabors aka Altar Ego. Beth Freitas for singing the hook. Angela Nabors for the album cover.

• The song will be availabe on iTunes soon. $1.29/download.
  • We’re raising funds to shoot the music video.
  • We’re going on tour in 2011.
  • And this is all a farce.

But here’s the song. Seriously…Tony…this is good…all at the expense of making fun of me & showing me some love.

VERSE 1
Button up my dress shirt, on my way to Quest Church
Came to hear a fresh word, more than just a lecture
Foot on the gas, driving fast past the Ballard Bridge
Soul nearly broken people hopin they can salvage it

Sounds legit—when everybody starts to worshipin
Prayers lifted up—to the Spirit we gon’ usher in
Songs lifted up—two churches did a merger with
And now the pastor wants to touch your heart like a surgeon did

First he hits the stage then, with no hesitation
Gets to exegetin scripture with gesticulation
Hands all in the air, preachin like he gives a care
Laid bare, Word made clear so we may hear

Goodwill suit jacket fresh Puma kicks
$10 for that coat? They must be lunatics
Deal of the century, feelin so much energy
Who’s that sayin “Time flies fast” that’s definitely PE

HOOK
Pastor Eugene Cho!
It’s official you’re such an oldie
Now that you are 40

Pastor Eugene Cho!
Happy birthday how do you feel now
Knowin it’s all downhill now
Yes you are real old, real old, real old

VERSE 2
Have you ever met a pastor like him?
We call him pastor cuz he passed an opportunity for wealth to follow Christ
And cuz the only buck he passed is sendin cash to those in crisis
Because the cost of life is priceless

Who else do you know could define a goal
And then pursue it with his whole body mind and soul
Able to change your whole perspective no mind control
All for the mission of Christ, so you can find the Holy Ghost

And did I mention that Eugene is a baller
Supreme on the court, no Sandra Day-O’Connor
So honor the game—he keeps it filthy
Minhee’s screamin “DON’T HURT YOUR ACCHILLES”

His faith could maybe make the dead rise
We call him Darth Vader cuz he fathered a Jedi
Passin on the blessin’s pay attention to his story
He’s in his own dimension, that’s why we call him 4-D (40)
Get it?

HOOK

BRIDGE
His mission is to take care of the Emerald City
Even though he knows the road ain’t lookin pretty
Preachin with his zipper down he’s unaware
Almost fell out of his chair, and it made him say
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Filed under: , , ,

1. sagein says:

first 3-ish stanzas were cool😀. Actually props to the whole rap

2. Jin says:

OMG. i swear we destroyed you in 1999.

3. Bo says:

Oh no y’all didn’t. Happy B-Day Eugene. Give it up to Tony!

4. hopewanders says:

Tony!! Amazing.

5. Dale says:

Tony, time to make a music video!

6. Emily says:

Oh my gosh, that was the best thing I’ve ever heard!!! haha!!! That was awesome!

7. thenaborhood says:

Thanks for the shoutout PE!

8. Lauren Rimkus says:

This is epic. I am dying!!

9. david says:

jay-z who? nice work, tony. and don’t worry, PE- 40 is the new 37.

10. steve h. says:

Amazing song but the cover looks more like Che than Cho.

11. David says:

Nice post. Appreciate everything you do. Keep it up🙂

First day of our daughter's college years at this great school. We love you. We're so proud of you.We believe in you. Go Huskies. Go Dawgs. And also, beat Stanford this Friday. As I soaked in this breathtaking sunrise this morning above the clouds, I felt compelled to pray for so my places in America and around the world that are experiencing such pain, heartache, injustice, and violence. At times, it feels so overwhelming but in prayer, I was reminded of these words from John 16:33. As we keep striving, working, hoping, preaching, loving, truthtelling, reconciling, repenting, forgiving, dismantling, peacemaking, Kingdom building...may we fix our eyes on Christ: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33 Grateful for a very full weekend of ministry and preaching in Toronto, Canada (GTA). Such a privilege to partner with @worldvisioncan @wvcollective to advocate for the most vulnerable around the world. God is so gracious. A true honor to meet and encourage local pastors, lecture at Tyndale University & Seminary (photo), and preach at Richmond Hills Community Church, Compass Point Bible Church, and New City Church. Thank you, Lord, that you use broken and imperfect people like me to speak of Your love. Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it.