my first album! new cho: state of mind

I’m pleased to announce to the world my first album!

I’m producing my first album where all the songs will be about me. Yes, that’s right. Songs about me.  From here on out, I’d like to be called by my hip-hop street name:

Minister Sinister

Seriously, the incredible Quest staff threw me a surprise birthday party yesterday and showered me with words, prayer, food, an iPad, and one of our staff wrote and record this song.

Much love and kudos to Tony Nabors aka Altar Ego. Beth Freitas for singing the hook. Angela Nabors for the album cover.

• The song will be availabe on iTunes soon. $1.29/download.
  • We’re raising funds to shoot the music video.
  • We’re going on tour in 2011.
  • And this is all a farce.

But here’s the song. Seriously…Tony…this is good…all at the expense of making fun of me & showing me some love.

VERSE 1
Button up my dress shirt, on my way to Quest Church
Came to hear a fresh word, more than just a lecture
Foot on the gas, driving fast past the Ballard Bridge
Soul nearly broken people hopin they can salvage it

Sounds legit—when everybody starts to worshipin
Prayers lifted up—to the Spirit we gon’ usher in
Songs lifted up—two churches did a merger with
And now the pastor wants to touch your heart like a surgeon did

First he hits the stage then, with no hesitation
Gets to exegetin scripture with gesticulation
Hands all in the air, preachin like he gives a care
Laid bare, Word made clear so we may hear

Goodwill suit jacket fresh Puma kicks
$10 for that coat? They must be lunatics
Deal of the century, feelin so much energy
Who’s that sayin “Time flies fast” that’s definitely PE

HOOK
Pastor Eugene Cho!
It’s official you’re such an oldie
Now that you are 40

Pastor Eugene Cho!
Happy birthday how do you feel now
Knowin it’s all downhill now
Yes you are real old, real old, real old

VERSE 2
Have you ever met a pastor like him?
We call him pastor cuz he passed an opportunity for wealth to follow Christ
And cuz the only buck he passed is sendin cash to those in crisis
Because the cost of life is priceless

Who else do you know could define a goal
And then pursue it with his whole body mind and soul
Able to change your whole perspective no mind control
All for the mission of Christ, so you can find the Holy Ghost

And did I mention that Eugene is a baller
Supreme on the court, no Sandra Day-O’Connor
So honor the game—he keeps it filthy
Minhee’s screamin “DON’T HURT YOUR ACCHILLES”

His faith could maybe make the dead rise
We call him Darth Vader cuz he fathered a Jedi
Passin on the blessin’s pay attention to his story
He’s in his own dimension, that’s why we call him 4-D (40)
Get it?

HOOK

BRIDGE
His mission is to take care of the Emerald City
Even though he knows the road ain’t lookin pretty
Preachin with his zipper down he’s unaware
Almost fell out of his chair, and it made him say
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Filed under: , , ,

1. sagein says:

first 3-ish stanzas were cool :D. Actually props to the whole rap

2. Jin says:

OMG. i swear we destroyed you in 1999.

3. Bo says:

Oh no y’all didn’t. Happy B-Day Eugene. Give it up to Tony!

4. hopewanders says:

Tony!! Amazing.

5. Dale says:

Tony, time to make a music video!

6. Emily says:

Oh my gosh, that was the best thing I’ve ever heard!!! haha!!! That was awesome!

7. thenaborhood says:

Thanks for the shoutout PE!

8. Lauren Rimkus says:

This is epic. I am dying!!

9. david says:

jay-z who? nice work, tony. and don’t worry, PE- 40 is the new 37.

10. steve h. says:

Amazing song but the cover looks more like Che than Cho.

11. David says:

Nice post. Appreciate everything you do. Keep it up 🙂

These are crazy times in our country and larger world but nevertheless, we're going to keep pursuing the things that God has placed upon our hearts. We're pressing forward...doing our part to reflect mercy, compassion, and justice - locally and globally.

Wednesdays are my @onedayswages office day and I especially love the culmination of hard work for our interns, volunteers, 2 full-time staff, and board as we collaborate with our NGO partners. This week, we signed these checks as we granted out over $75,000 to provide better health care for mothers and their families in Mali and Nepal.

THANK YOU for making this possible Your classic play it cool because you're visiting your old stomping grounds at Princeton and pretend you're not cold but in actuality, you're freezing picture. 20 years, 2 weeks, and counting. What a journey with this woman. I love her...and I want to keep growing in love, honor, and respect. Great to catch up with @jlin7 in Brooklyn at the Nets game. Grateful for his partnership with @onedayswages to support our Girls' Empowerment Fund. The season hasn't been what he hoped for with major injuries...but we can't wait to see you back on the court soon and do what you do. Stay encouraged, brother. Thanks for your faithful witness for Christ. Playoffs! Let's go #11. Point Guard. Living my hoop dreams through my girl.

pc: ed tanaka Following Jesus is not just about going to church. It also involves repenting, seeking justice, loving kindness, walking humbly, feeding the poor, clothing the naked, speaking up for the voiceless, welcoming the refugee, and fighting for the rights of vulnerable. Sometimes, it's scary but Jesus nevertheless commands, "Follow me." Be brave.