my first album! new cho: state of mind

I’m pleased to announce to the world my first album!

I’m producing my first album where all the songs will be about me. Yes, that’s right. Songs about me.  From here on out, I’d like to be called by my hip-hop street name:

Minister Sinister

Seriously, the incredible Quest staff threw me a surprise birthday party yesterday and showered me with words, prayer, food, an iPad, and one of our staff wrote and record this song.

Much love and kudos to Tony Nabors aka Altar Ego. Beth Freitas for singing the hook. Angela Nabors for the album cover.

• The song will be availabe on iTunes soon. $1.29/download.
  • We’re raising funds to shoot the music video.
  • We’re going on tour in 2011.
  • And this is all a farce.

But here’s the song. Seriously…Tony…this is good…all at the expense of making fun of me & showing me some love.

VERSE 1
Button up my dress shirt, on my way to Quest Church
Came to hear a fresh word, more than just a lecture
Foot on the gas, driving fast past the Ballard Bridge
Soul nearly broken people hopin they can salvage it

Sounds legit—when everybody starts to worshipin
Prayers lifted up—to the Spirit we gon’ usher in
Songs lifted up—two churches did a merger with
And now the pastor wants to touch your heart like a surgeon did

First he hits the stage then, with no hesitation
Gets to exegetin scripture with gesticulation
Hands all in the air, preachin like he gives a care
Laid bare, Word made clear so we may hear

Goodwill suit jacket fresh Puma kicks
$10 for that coat? They must be lunatics
Deal of the century, feelin so much energy
Who’s that sayin “Time flies fast” that’s definitely PE

HOOK
Pastor Eugene Cho!
It’s official you’re such an oldie
Now that you are 40

Pastor Eugene Cho!
Happy birthday how do you feel now
Knowin it’s all downhill now
Yes you are real old, real old, real old

VERSE 2
Have you ever met a pastor like him?
We call him pastor cuz he passed an opportunity for wealth to follow Christ
And cuz the only buck he passed is sendin cash to those in crisis
Because the cost of life is priceless

Who else do you know could define a goal
And then pursue it with his whole body mind and soul
Able to change your whole perspective no mind control
All for the mission of Christ, so you can find the Holy Ghost

And did I mention that Eugene is a baller
Supreme on the court, no Sandra Day-O’Connor
So honor the game—he keeps it filthy
Minhee’s screamin “DON’T HURT YOUR ACCHILLES”

His faith could maybe make the dead rise
We call him Darth Vader cuz he fathered a Jedi
Passin on the blessin’s pay attention to his story
He’s in his own dimension, that’s why we call him 4-D (40)
Get it?

HOOK

BRIDGE
His mission is to take care of the Emerald City
Even though he knows the road ain’t lookin pretty
Preachin with his zipper down he’s unaware
Almost fell out of his chair, and it made him say
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Filed under: , , ,

1. sagein says:

first 3-ish stanzas were cool :D. Actually props to the whole rap

2. Jin says:

OMG. i swear we destroyed you in 1999.

3. Bo says:

Oh no y’all didn’t. Happy B-Day Eugene. Give it up to Tony!

4. hopewanders says:

Tony!! Amazing.

5. Dale says:

Tony, time to make a music video!

6. Emily says:

Oh my gosh, that was the best thing I’ve ever heard!!! haha!!! That was awesome!

7. thenaborhood says:

Thanks for the shoutout PE!

8. Lauren Rimkus says:

This is epic. I am dying!!

9. david says:

jay-z who? nice work, tony. and don’t worry, PE- 40 is the new 37.

10. steve h. says:

Amazing song but the cover looks more like Che than Cho.

11. David says:

Nice post. Appreciate everything you do. Keep it up 🙂

It. Still. Hurts.
#TamirRice Incredible news: @onedayswages is projecting to have our most impactful year as we grant out $1.3 million dollars! Thank you so much for your prayers and support...please read on to learn how you can join in our work.

As you gather with family, friends, and loved ones for Thanksgiving and the holidays, I wanted to share an opportunity. Often times, when I speak to people about the privilege of generosity, I remind them, "You don't have to but you get to." It's so true.

My wife and I (and our three kids) started ODW in 2009. We felt the Holy Spirit convicting us to give up our year's salary. It wasn't an easy thing to say "Yes" or "Amen" to but we made the decision to obey. As a result, it took us about three years to save, simplify, and sell off things we didn't need.

It's been an incredible journey as we've learned so much about the heart of God and God's love for the hurting and vulnerable around the world - particularly those living in extreme poverty. ODW is a small, scrappy, grassroots organization (with just 3 full-time employees) but since our launch, we've raised nearly $6 million dollars to help those living in extreme poverty: clean water and sanitation, education, maternal health, human trafficking, refugee crisis, hunger, and the list goes on and on.

So, here's my humble ask: As we do this work, would you consider making a pledge to support our work...so that we can keep doing this work with integrity and excellence?
You can make a one time gift or make monthly pledge of just $25 (or more). Thanks so much for considering this: http://onedayswages.org/give (link in bio, too) Don't just count your blessings. Bless others with your blessings. Here, there, everywhere. Be a blessing for this blesses our Father in Heaven and builds the Kingdom of God.

#ReThinkRegugees #WeWelcomeRefugees
@onedayswages Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.