odw featured in the seattle times!

picture by Jim Bates of the Seattle Times

Thanks for your support. Only together – literally – can we ensure the end of extreme poverty. I know there are so many worthwhile causes.

Let’s celebrate, support, and cheer on these efforts and the people behind them.

We’re not here to compete w/ others. We want to celebrate the work and efforts of so many different causes and the people and communities behind them. And so with that, I hope you can help support, cheer on, and even celebrate the work of One Day’s Wages.

Here’s the article: Local Charity Based on Donating a Day’s Salary (or click on image above).

The compelling aspect of ODW is that 100% of your donations (minus transaction costs) go to projects on the ground YOU CHOOSE to fight extreme global poverty. While we may not be able to fix the world, our investments can help change the life of a child, a mother, a father, a family, and even a village.

Here’s three other 5 PRACTICAL things you can do to give us “a bump’:

1. VISIT THE WEBSITE and create an account. Just creating an account is a simple great way to support us.

2. MAKE A DONATION. Calculate your day’s wages on the website or make another donation. You can choose to invest in one of the 3 incredible organizations/projects highlighted on the website. 100% of your donations (minus transaction costs) go directly to these projects.  (check out the partnerships below)

3. BE A FAN ON FACEBOOK. Join us on FB and share our Page on Profile.

4. SPREAD THE WORD. Use the tools on our website (like Twitter), share the video below on your FB profile, email this link, or use the SHARE button below.

5. BE CREATIVE. Host a party, a dinner, do a benefit concert, talk to your company, or any gathering to help raise awareness and invite people to JOIN you in donating their day’s wages.

PS: Check out our current partnerships:

1. Clean Sanitation & Water Well for an entire Ethiopian school (charity: water)
  2. 250 Fresh Start Kits for Congolese women
  3. Border Outpost between Nepal/India to support girls caught in human trafficking.

Filed under: , , , , , , , ,

1. I’ll be in touch…

as soon as I get some wages again.

Sigh.

2. Eugene Cho says:

@Holiday Longing: these are tough times for many people.

don’t feel obligated to donate your one day’s wages but you’re also welcome to even make another donation. another great way to support our work is to create a profile on the ODW website if you haven’t done so already.

e

3. evannak says:

just curious, odw is a non-profit that raises money to give to another non-profit, that in turn gives to a cause. doesnt this seem to be counter-productive? why not just spread the message to give directly to that charity?

4. Eugene Cho says:

@evannak: thanks for stopping.

we don’t believe it’s counterproductive.

we will raise awareness.
    we will join our voices for advocacy.
    we will gather people to pool our funds together for projects.
    we will share stories of people doing amazing things.

and if people want to bypass odw and give directly to organizations, that would be AWESOME.

the point is we want to see more people engage these issues of injustice.

glad to hear that you are doing your part. thanks.

5. evannak:

My former church started a non profit to funnel both resources and funds to many other ministries in New York City (Hope for New York). Sure, folks could give directly to the other ministries. However, because HFNY was associated with a large church, it gave the attendees access to volunteer and giving opportunities that they might not otherwise have had. In the end, both church attendees and non profits supporte by HFNY gained more than they would have otherwise.

6. evannak says:

thanks eugene and holiday for your responses. when i say counter-productive i wonder if the non-profit sector is clothing itself in good deeds but in reality it just is another capitalistic model for business. if ODW receives a $1 donation, up to 10% will go to the costs of doing business, then that .90 goes to another non-profit, where most likely another 10% will go to that non-profits costs of doing business, then the left overs are given to the cause. i like that ODW is an advocate for other organizations, but i want to make sure my donation goes to those in need and not in the non-profit business, especially more than one. looking at ODW it looks like double-dipping in my opinion. not trying to be harsh, but asking why.

7. Eugene Cho says:

@evannak:

define “capitalistic model for business.” i’ll wait to hear your answer because i define that as people using charity to make money for themselves.

8. daniel so says:

evannak — If you’re interested in making a donation and want to know more about how it works, read the FAQs on the One Day’s Wages site (http://www.onedayswages.org/donate/faq-about-donations):

“ODW uses 100% of the money raised to directly grant proven organizations, projects, and causes around extreme global poverty.” Sums up ODW’s approach pretty clearly. Operations funds are raised separately.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 18 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 4 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago