odw featured in the seattle times!

picture by Jim Bates of the Seattle Times

Thanks for your support. Only together – literally – can we ensure the end of extreme poverty. I know there are so many worthwhile causes.

Let’s celebrate, support, and cheer on these efforts and the people behind them.

We’re not here to compete w/ others. We want to celebrate the work and efforts of so many different causes and the people and communities behind them. And so with that, I hope you can help support, cheer on, and even celebrate the work of One Day’s Wages.

Here’s the article: Local Charity Based on Donating a Day’s Salary (or click on image above).

The compelling aspect of ODW is that 100% of your donations (minus transaction costs) go to projects on the ground YOU CHOOSE to fight extreme global poverty. While we may not be able to fix the world, our investments can help change the life of a child, a mother, a father, a family, and even a village.

Here’s three other 5 PRACTICAL things you can do to give us “a bump’:

1. VISIT THE WEBSITE and create an account. Just creating an account is a simple great way to support us.

2. MAKE A DONATION. Calculate your day’s wages on the website or make another donation. You can choose to invest in one of the 3 incredible organizations/projects highlighted on the website. 100% of your donations (minus transaction costs) go directly to these projects.  (check out the partnerships below)

3. BE A FAN ON FACEBOOK. Join us on FB and share our Page on Profile.

4. SPREAD THE WORD. Use the tools on our website (like Twitter), share the video below on your FB profile, email this link, or use the SHARE button below.

5. BE CREATIVE. Host a party, a dinner, do a benefit concert, talk to your company, or any gathering to help raise awareness and invite people to JOIN you in donating their day’s wages.

PS: Check out our current partnerships:

1. Clean Sanitation & Water Well for an entire Ethiopian school (charity: water)
  2. 250 Fresh Start Kits for Congolese women
  3. Border Outpost between Nepal/India to support girls caught in human trafficking.

Filed under: , , , , , , , ,

1. I’ll be in touch…

as soon as I get some wages again.

Sigh.

2. Eugene Cho says:

@Holiday Longing: these are tough times for many people.

don’t feel obligated to donate your one day’s wages but you’re also welcome to even make another donation. another great way to support our work is to create a profile on the ODW website if you haven’t done so already.

e

3. evannak says:

just curious, odw is a non-profit that raises money to give to another non-profit, that in turn gives to a cause. doesnt this seem to be counter-productive? why not just spread the message to give directly to that charity?

4. Eugene Cho says:

@evannak: thanks for stopping.

we don’t believe it’s counterproductive.

we will raise awareness.
    we will join our voices for advocacy.
    we will gather people to pool our funds together for projects.
    we will share stories of people doing amazing things.

and if people want to bypass odw and give directly to organizations, that would be AWESOME.

the point is we want to see more people engage these issues of injustice.

glad to hear that you are doing your part. thanks.

5. evannak:

My former church started a non profit to funnel both resources and funds to many other ministries in New York City (Hope for New York). Sure, folks could give directly to the other ministries. However, because HFNY was associated with a large church, it gave the attendees access to volunteer and giving opportunities that they might not otherwise have had. In the end, both church attendees and non profits supporte by HFNY gained more than they would have otherwise.

6. evannak says:

thanks eugene and holiday for your responses. when i say counter-productive i wonder if the non-profit sector is clothing itself in good deeds but in reality it just is another capitalistic model for business. if ODW receives a $1 donation, up to 10% will go to the costs of doing business, then that .90 goes to another non-profit, where most likely another 10% will go to that non-profits costs of doing business, then the left overs are given to the cause. i like that ODW is an advocate for other organizations, but i want to make sure my donation goes to those in need and not in the non-profit business, especially more than one. looking at ODW it looks like double-dipping in my opinion. not trying to be harsh, but asking why.

7. Eugene Cho says:

@evannak:

define “capitalistic model for business.” i’ll wait to hear your answer because i define that as people using charity to make money for themselves.

8. daniel so says:

evannak — If you’re interested in making a donation and want to know more about how it works, read the FAQs on the One Day’s Wages site (http://www.onedayswages.org/donate/faq-about-donations):

“ODW uses 100% of the money raised to directly grant proven organizations, projects, and causes around extreme global poverty.” Sums up ODW’s approach pretty clearly. Operations funds are raised separately.

Breathtaking sunrise above the clouds this morning with such mesmerizing colors. No filter. As I soak in this sunset, I  felt compelled to pray for so my places in America and around the world that are experiencing such pain, heartache, injustice, and violence. At times, it feels so overwhelming but in prayer, I was reminded of these words from John 16:33. As we keep striving, working, hoping, preaching, loving, truthtelling, reconciling, repenting, forgiving, dismantling...may we fix our eyes on Christ: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33 Grateful for a very full weekend of ministry and preaching in Toronto, Canada (GTA). Such a privilege to partner with @worldvisioncan @wvcollective to advocate for the most vulnerable around the world. God is so gracious. A true honor to meet and encourage local pastors, lecture at Tyndale University & Seminary (photo), and preach at Richmond Hills Community Church, Compass Point Bible Church, and New City Church. Thank you, Lord, that you use broken and imperfect people like me to speak of Your love. Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16