odw featured in the seattle times!

picture by Jim Bates of the Seattle Times

Thanks for your support. Only together – literally – can we ensure the end of extreme poverty. I know there are so many worthwhile causes.

Let’s celebrate, support, and cheer on these efforts and the people behind them.

We’re not here to compete w/ others. We want to celebrate the work and efforts of so many different causes and the people and communities behind them. And so with that, I hope you can help support, cheer on, and even celebrate the work of One Day’s Wages.

Here’s the article: Local Charity Based on Donating a Day’s Salary (or click on image above).

The compelling aspect of ODW is that 100% of your donations (minus transaction costs) go to projects on the ground YOU CHOOSE to fight extreme global poverty. While we may not be able to fix the world, our investments can help change the life of a child, a mother, a father, a family, and even a village.

Here’s three other 5 PRACTICAL things you can do to give us “a bump’:

1. VISIT THE WEBSITE and create an account. Just creating an account is a simple great way to support us.

2. MAKE A DONATION. Calculate your day’s wages on the website or make another donation. You can choose to invest in one of the 3 incredible organizations/projects highlighted on the website. 100% of your donations (minus transaction costs) go directly to these projects.  (check out the partnerships below)

3. BE A FAN ON FACEBOOK. Join us on FB and share our Page on Profile.

4. SPREAD THE WORD. Use the tools on our website (like Twitter), share the video below on your FB profile, email this link, or use the SHARE button below.

5. BE CREATIVE. Host a party, a dinner, do a benefit concert, talk to your company, or any gathering to help raise awareness and invite people to JOIN you in donating their day’s wages.

PS: Check out our current partnerships:

1. Clean Sanitation & Water Well for an entire Ethiopian school (charity: water)
  2. 250 Fresh Start Kits for Congolese women
  3. Border Outpost between Nepal/India to support girls caught in human trafficking.

Filed under: , , , , , , , ,

1. I’ll be in touch…

as soon as I get some wages again.

Sigh.

2. Eugene Cho says:

@Holiday Longing: these are tough times for many people.

don’t feel obligated to donate your one day’s wages but you’re also welcome to even make another donation. another great way to support our work is to create a profile on the ODW website if you haven’t done so already.

e

3. evannak says:

just curious, odw is a non-profit that raises money to give to another non-profit, that in turn gives to a cause. doesnt this seem to be counter-productive? why not just spread the message to give directly to that charity?

4. Eugene Cho says:

@evannak: thanks for stopping.

we don’t believe it’s counterproductive.

we will raise awareness.
    we will join our voices for advocacy.
    we will gather people to pool our funds together for projects.
    we will share stories of people doing amazing things.

and if people want to bypass odw and give directly to organizations, that would be AWESOME.

the point is we want to see more people engage these issues of injustice.

glad to hear that you are doing your part. thanks.

5. evannak:

My former church started a non profit to funnel both resources and funds to many other ministries in New York City (Hope for New York). Sure, folks could give directly to the other ministries. However, because HFNY was associated with a large church, it gave the attendees access to volunteer and giving opportunities that they might not otherwise have had. In the end, both church attendees and non profits supporte by HFNY gained more than they would have otherwise.

6. evannak says:

thanks eugene and holiday for your responses. when i say counter-productive i wonder if the non-profit sector is clothing itself in good deeds but in reality it just is another capitalistic model for business. if ODW receives a $1 donation, up to 10% will go to the costs of doing business, then that .90 goes to another non-profit, where most likely another 10% will go to that non-profits costs of doing business, then the left overs are given to the cause. i like that ODW is an advocate for other organizations, but i want to make sure my donation goes to those in need and not in the non-profit business, especially more than one. looking at ODW it looks like double-dipping in my opinion. not trying to be harsh, but asking why.

7. Eugene Cho says:

@evannak:

define “capitalistic model for business.” i’ll wait to hear your answer because i define that as people using charity to make money for themselves.

8. daniel so says:

evannak — If you’re interested in making a donation and want to know more about how it works, read the FAQs on the One Day’s Wages site (http://www.onedayswages.org/donate/faq-about-donations):

“ODW uses 100% of the money raised to directly grant proven organizations, projects, and causes around extreme global poverty.” Sums up ODW’s approach pretty clearly. Operations funds are raised separately.

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 2 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 5 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 6 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 6 days ago