huh? who are you?

postneobap

This is hilarious.  At least, I thought it was…

How about you?  What’s your reaction?

Asides from your name, how do you describe yourself?  [Or a funny way to describe yourself?]

Since I agree that we live and/or quickly moving towards a post-christian, post-modern, post-denominational, and post-western world, these labels seem awkward.  But then again, we all like our labels, categories, and compartments, don’t we?

I’m Eugene.

or

“Eugene might be a post-evangelical, neo-calvinist, quasi-monastic, emerging covenant, with an Asian charismatic, urban, hip-hop, 3rd culture influence…”

h/t: ASBO

Filed under:

1. I love it!

I suppose if you really wanted to know my heart I’d have to say I’m a post-evangelical, neo-reformist, meta-emergent-anthropochristianist, praeter-baptist, über-programmer, super-choco-holic, maybe-worka-frolic, slow-meta-bolic, where’d-I-leave-my-wallet?, jesus-lent-a-dollar, so-I-said-I’d-foller’, extra-confused-seattleite.

But ‘Jack’ has been working pretty well lately.

2. Randall says:

On the cover of Brian McLaren’s book, A Generous Orthodoxy, he describes himself as a missional, evangelical, post/protestant, liberal/conservative, mystical/poetic, biblical, charismatic/contemplative, fundamentalist/calvinist, anabaptist/anglican, methodist, catholic, green, incarnational, depressed-yet-hopeful, emergent, unfinished Christian.

I just call myself an extreme moderate.

3. Peter says:

Hmmm … I wonder what would Jesus call himself in our culture, and what the rest of the world where more than 70% of believers live, work and practice their faith think about what we call ourselves. In Acts, they were called disciples of Jesus, people of the Way, and then simply Christians. Why can’t it be that simple. Let our faith show who we are by how we live our lives. That’s what the world cares about most, I think. And that’s what God really cares about, I believe, as I read and reflect on His words to the seven churches in the book of Revelation.

4. Tyler says:

if only every conversation could start that way…it would save me a lot of time.

hahaha

5. Jason Douros says:

Interesting line of thought. I find my self a mix of am’s and am not’s…with very few posts or neo’s (since have little to be post and neo about):

I am a zero point Calvinist, but I am not an Armenian. I am a skeptical, passionate, assured and oft times agnostic follower of Jesus. I am an anti-establishment builder of systems, slightly emergent, mostly Celtic, philosopher. I am not a theologian since I prefer questions over answers. I am Hero’s fan and hate 24, Lost fan yet not an Alias watcher. I’m a Trekie and Star Wars nerd alike.

I am church planter and also not so much.

Mostly, though I am Jason, and I am as confuse about myself as I am assured of who I am.

(I also love paradox and inherent self-contradictions)

6. Tom says:

Post dinner. Quasi-sleepy. Neapolitan ice cream. Emerging mid section. Ambivalent about my choices.

And that’s just tonight watching tv.

7. HC says:

I am an angry asian man.

8. Jon says:

1. My reaction is I just did what this cartoon character did…on my blog that is! On a serous level, labels are ‘good’ to an extent in showing where you are coming from but the not so good thing about labels is when we define ourselves too much by it.

2. This is how i would introduce myself- Jonathan, an ‘ordinary radical’ ;). But truth be told we never introduce ourselves by labels. At least I know I dont do that! haha

9. Beth says:

My reaction:

HELP! It’s the fruits of postmodernist nominalism! (And I’m not talking attack of the Killer Tomatoes.)

Yes, once upon a time people called themselves “Christians…” Kudos to Peter for reminding us of a time when universals were taken seriously.

Long ago I worked in the TEDS divinity school library, and had to contruct a chart of all the various Presbyterian groups in America, so that our cataloger could figure out their relationships in order to classify their materials. The thing wound up being 3 foot by four foot, and wound up teaching me the value of John 17.

How do you describe yourself?

I hope to be called “Jesus’ friend,” as per John 15:15, and by extension, a friend to all who He considers to be His friends. But mostly people just call me Beth, Wifey or Mater.

10. synapticlight says:

Reaction: what on earth is a Neo-Calvinist.

My description: Christian, Husband, Father, pro-technological, pro-social-networking, non-denominational video enthusiast java Programmer with Baptist tendencies.Whateverrrrrrrrrrrr

lol

11. Jezla says:

I dunno…there are a lot of ways to describe myself I guess.

But what I’m most certain of is that I’m a poor sinner saved by the love and grace of Jesus.

12. Curtis Honeycutt says:

I’m Curtis. I’m a recovering Southern Baptist with Emergent tendencies. I like to be uncomfortably early to things.

13. korea says:

I am very white outside (skin problem) but inside, in my heart, I am very colored!

When I lived in Africa, people called me “you are like us except your long nose”
    While I lived in Korea (22 yrs), people told me “I forgot that you are actually from a different country”
    When I was back in my home country, Germany, some people told me that I am straaaaaaaange, because I am so different.

Yes, I am. I am not German anymore. But what I am I do not know, except that I am God’s child. Growing. In love with God’s people. And this love is growing in all kinds of colors!

14. Matt says:

I’m Matt, and I love Jesus.

15. DK says:

I’m DK and I’m your father.

16. daphne says:

I don’t know what most of those labels even mean to be honest.

17. eugenecho says:

@daphne: don’t worry. i don’t either.

but they are fun to say when it comes out of your mouth. makes me sound very refined, enlightened, and important.

especially when i speak of myself in the 3rd person.

18. Pooba~ says:

Round -> round is a shape, not IN SHAPE!
    Old -> but not as old as mud!
    Blonde -> can now hide my own Easter Eggs!
    and
    Married -> to the best mate GOD created!

19. CM says:

I sympathize with the need to categorize. I grew up Catholic, would still consider myself culturally Catholic, and in terms of how faith looks in life, I wish I retained more of my Catholic roots. In college, I got involved with a non-denominational, Reformed group…and while my theology has definitely shifted in that direction, it’s shifting again.

I always feel “too Catholic” for my Reformed protestant friends and “too protestant” for my Catholic family. I am frustrated by my inability to explain how I bridge the gap, what I am, why sometimes I’m one or the other or both or neither and that all of those iterations are not inconsistent. That they are all important. So I tend to introduce myself as a “cultural Catholic, theological Protestant” just to keep people from assuming I’m “just like them” and dismissing as unimportant huge chunks of my church DNA (something that happens a lot). But of course, that label doesn’t quite fit either…

20. John Choi says:

i’m a sinner. nuff said.

21. Teresa says:

I love what Peter said 🙂 Life’s complicated enogh!

22. Teresa says:

Actually, I think I like “work in process” or “unfinished masterpiece” if I was going to really choose one:)

23. Sam says:

When someone asks: “I’m a follower of Jesus”.

24. Sam says:

When asked: “I’m a follower of Jesus.”

25. Peter says:

Jesus’ question to his disicples was: “But what about you? Who do you say I am?” (Matt. 16:15) We are defined by who Jesus is and who he is to us, not by what we call ourselves. As followers of Jesus, that’s the bottomline and topline reality. Besides I am not sure if God has labels and rooms to separate us according to our categorization in heaven. Perhaps he has, and our mansions will have different designer themes to fit our labels.

The only thing that I know Jesus will separate when He returns is sheep from goats, and wheat from tares.

If labelling helps build your faith in Jesus, then great. If it confuses you or even more so others because we don’t even know or understand the labels, why bother.

Otherwise we will look like schizos with multiple-personality disorder to the world outside the “divided kingdom” – LOL.

26. @ Peter, well put.

I have heard that we are contingent beings, always and only knowing who we are in relation to other things. If I were born on a deserted island with no one else around, I would only know that I am not a coconut or tree, etc.

Who Jesus is to us is how we as followers of the Way (or whatever you want to call it) see ourselves.

I heard this at a retreat recently, that we end up thinking we are who others think we are, for good or for bad; e.g., I am awkward because I think this girl I am talking to thinks I am awkward. I must be awkward. Or, I am amazing because I think this kid looks up to me. I must be amazing!

27. Stephanie says:

This is interesting! I usually say that I’m a part-time atheist, because believing in God is a big struggle for me. Then again, that could be too much information depending on who’s asking and if they really do want to talk and engage, so I try to reign it in if it seems better that way.

28. eugenecho says:

I think what’s funny about this is MOST people don’t really care or know what those words mean.

But there’s that 2% that really care. And it helps.

What’s awkward? When the 2% begin to talk like this to the 98% that have no idea what they’re talking about.

29. Dino Mapa says:

I started out in a Baptist church, was ordained as a Pentecostal minister and now serve in an Alliance church. Thus I’m a Bapticostalliance pastor. So there!

30. heather says:

that is hilarious, and kind of scary too cause it’s so true. i probably would describe myself more along the lines of what i am not, which seems to be the case more than anything when even trying to explain my faith, as immediately when you use the word ‘christian’ or ‘jesus’ people automatically latch on to many untrue concepts that i wouldn’t align myself with especially because of who Jesus says He is.

so here goes, (since you’re)

i am a follower of Jesus simply, not traditions or man-made rules,no i’m not emergent, or a part of the simple/organic revolution/church person either….but rather i love god which means i love and disciple people.

peace,
    heather

31. oogly says:

“Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus”…sounds good enough. I heard the ancient Greek word of Christian is actually literally translated to “slave of Christ”.

32. zoecarnate says:

@oogly: or “little Christ,” yeah…

…these days, if anyone asks, I call myself a ‘composted Christian,’ nodding to all the influences that have comprised my life – even those influences I’ve discarded, that are rotting out in the backyard…

…the cool thing about compost is that new, organic life grows out of it – yea & verily, even out of the $#!t…

33. “Post-everything mystic” hahahahahahah…but I’m serious

Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor. It's a sad reality but our society runs on the currency of fear. Don't feed into this frenzy.

Rather, invest in faith, hope, and love.