huh? who are you?

postneobap

This is hilarious.  At least, I thought it was…

How about you?  What’s your reaction?

Asides from your name, how do you describe yourself?  [Or a funny way to describe yourself?]

Since I agree that we live and/or quickly moving towards a post-christian, post-modern, post-denominational, and post-western world, these labels seem awkward.  But then again, we all like our labels, categories, and compartments, don’t we?

I’m Eugene.

or

“Eugene might be a post-evangelical, neo-calvinist, quasi-monastic, emerging covenant, with an Asian charismatic, urban, hip-hop, 3rd culture influence…”

h/t: ASBO

Filed under:

1. I love it!

I suppose if you really wanted to know my heart I’d have to say I’m a post-evangelical, neo-reformist, meta-emergent-anthropochristianist, praeter-baptist, über-programmer, super-choco-holic, maybe-worka-frolic, slow-meta-bolic, where’d-I-leave-my-wallet?, jesus-lent-a-dollar, so-I-said-I’d-foller’, extra-confused-seattleite.

But ‘Jack’ has been working pretty well lately.

2. Randall says:

On the cover of Brian McLaren’s book, A Generous Orthodoxy, he describes himself as a missional, evangelical, post/protestant, liberal/conservative, mystical/poetic, biblical, charismatic/contemplative, fundamentalist/calvinist, anabaptist/anglican, methodist, catholic, green, incarnational, depressed-yet-hopeful, emergent, unfinished Christian.

I just call myself an extreme moderate.

3. Peter says:

Hmmm … I wonder what would Jesus call himself in our culture, and what the rest of the world where more than 70% of believers live, work and practice their faith think about what we call ourselves. In Acts, they were called disciples of Jesus, people of the Way, and then simply Christians. Why can’t it be that simple. Let our faith show who we are by how we live our lives. That’s what the world cares about most, I think. And that’s what God really cares about, I believe, as I read and reflect on His words to the seven churches in the book of Revelation.

4. Tyler says:

if only every conversation could start that way…it would save me a lot of time.

hahaha

5. Jason Douros says:

Interesting line of thought. I find my self a mix of am’s and am not’s…with very few posts or neo’s (since have little to be post and neo about):

I am a zero point Calvinist, but I am not an Armenian. I am a skeptical, passionate, assured and oft times agnostic follower of Jesus. I am an anti-establishment builder of systems, slightly emergent, mostly Celtic, philosopher. I am not a theologian since I prefer questions over answers. I am Hero’s fan and hate 24, Lost fan yet not an Alias watcher. I’m a Trekie and Star Wars nerd alike.

I am church planter and also not so much.

Mostly, though I am Jason, and I am as confuse about myself as I am assured of who I am.

(I also love paradox and inherent self-contradictions)

6. Tom says:

Post dinner. Quasi-sleepy. Neapolitan ice cream. Emerging mid section. Ambivalent about my choices.

And that’s just tonight watching tv.

7. HC says:

I am an angry asian man.

8. Jon says:

1. My reaction is I just did what this cartoon character did…on my blog that is! On a serous level, labels are ‘good’ to an extent in showing where you are coming from but the not so good thing about labels is when we define ourselves too much by it.

2. This is how i would introduce myself- Jonathan, an ‘ordinary radical’ ;). But truth be told we never introduce ourselves by labels. At least I know I dont do that! haha

9. Beth says:

My reaction:

HELP! It’s the fruits of postmodernist nominalism! (And I’m not talking attack of the Killer Tomatoes.)

Yes, once upon a time people called themselves “Christians…” Kudos to Peter for reminding us of a time when universals were taken seriously.

Long ago I worked in the TEDS divinity school library, and had to contruct a chart of all the various Presbyterian groups in America, so that our cataloger could figure out their relationships in order to classify their materials. The thing wound up being 3 foot by four foot, and wound up teaching me the value of John 17.

How do you describe yourself?

I hope to be called “Jesus’ friend,” as per John 15:15, and by extension, a friend to all who He considers to be His friends. But mostly people just call me Beth, Wifey or Mater.

10. synapticlight says:

Reaction: what on earth is a Neo-Calvinist.

My description: Christian, Husband, Father, pro-technological, pro-social-networking, non-denominational video enthusiast java Programmer with Baptist tendencies.Whateverrrrrrrrrrrr

lol

11. Jezla says:

I dunno…there are a lot of ways to describe myself I guess.

But what I’m most certain of is that I’m a poor sinner saved by the love and grace of Jesus.

12. Curtis Honeycutt says:

I’m Curtis. I’m a recovering Southern Baptist with Emergent tendencies. I like to be uncomfortably early to things.

13. korea says:

I am very white outside (skin problem) but inside, in my heart, I am very colored!

When I lived in Africa, people called me “you are like us except your long nose”
    While I lived in Korea (22 yrs), people told me “I forgot that you are actually from a different country”
    When I was back in my home country, Germany, some people told me that I am straaaaaaaange, because I am so different.

Yes, I am. I am not German anymore. But what I am I do not know, except that I am God’s child. Growing. In love with God’s people. And this love is growing in all kinds of colors!

14. Matt says:

I’m Matt, and I love Jesus.

15. DK says:

I’m DK and I’m your father.

16. daphne says:

I don’t know what most of those labels even mean to be honest.

17. eugenecho says:

@daphne: don’t worry. i don’t either.

but they are fun to say when it comes out of your mouth. makes me sound very refined, enlightened, and important.

especially when i speak of myself in the 3rd person.

18. Pooba~ says:

Round -> round is a shape, not IN SHAPE!
    Old -> but not as old as mud!
    Blonde -> can now hide my own Easter Eggs!
    and
    Married -> to the best mate GOD created!

19. CM says:

I sympathize with the need to categorize. I grew up Catholic, would still consider myself culturally Catholic, and in terms of how faith looks in life, I wish I retained more of my Catholic roots. In college, I got involved with a non-denominational, Reformed group…and while my theology has definitely shifted in that direction, it’s shifting again.

I always feel “too Catholic” for my Reformed protestant friends and “too protestant” for my Catholic family. I am frustrated by my inability to explain how I bridge the gap, what I am, why sometimes I’m one or the other or both or neither and that all of those iterations are not inconsistent. That they are all important. So I tend to introduce myself as a “cultural Catholic, theological Protestant” just to keep people from assuming I’m “just like them” and dismissing as unimportant huge chunks of my church DNA (something that happens a lot). But of course, that label doesn’t quite fit either…

20. John Choi says:

i’m a sinner. nuff said.

21. Teresa says:

I love what Peter said 🙂 Life’s complicated enogh!

22. Teresa says:

Actually, I think I like “work in process” or “unfinished masterpiece” if I was going to really choose one:)

23. Sam says:

When someone asks: “I’m a follower of Jesus”.

24. Sam says:

When asked: “I’m a follower of Jesus.”

25. Peter says:

Jesus’ question to his disicples was: “But what about you? Who do you say I am?” (Matt. 16:15) We are defined by who Jesus is and who he is to us, not by what we call ourselves. As followers of Jesus, that’s the bottomline and topline reality. Besides I am not sure if God has labels and rooms to separate us according to our categorization in heaven. Perhaps he has, and our mansions will have different designer themes to fit our labels.

The only thing that I know Jesus will separate when He returns is sheep from goats, and wheat from tares.

If labelling helps build your faith in Jesus, then great. If it confuses you or even more so others because we don’t even know or understand the labels, why bother.

Otherwise we will look like schizos with multiple-personality disorder to the world outside the “divided kingdom” – LOL.

26. @ Peter, well put.

I have heard that we are contingent beings, always and only knowing who we are in relation to other things. If I were born on a deserted island with no one else around, I would only know that I am not a coconut or tree, etc.

Who Jesus is to us is how we as followers of the Way (or whatever you want to call it) see ourselves.

I heard this at a retreat recently, that we end up thinking we are who others think we are, for good or for bad; e.g., I am awkward because I think this girl I am talking to thinks I am awkward. I must be awkward. Or, I am amazing because I think this kid looks up to me. I must be amazing!

27. Stephanie says:

This is interesting! I usually say that I’m a part-time atheist, because believing in God is a big struggle for me. Then again, that could be too much information depending on who’s asking and if they really do want to talk and engage, so I try to reign it in if it seems better that way.

28. eugenecho says:

I think what’s funny about this is MOST people don’t really care or know what those words mean.

But there’s that 2% that really care. And it helps.

What’s awkward? When the 2% begin to talk like this to the 98% that have no idea what they’re talking about.

29. Dino Mapa says:

I started out in a Baptist church, was ordained as a Pentecostal minister and now serve in an Alliance church. Thus I’m a Bapticostalliance pastor. So there!

30. heather says:

that is hilarious, and kind of scary too cause it’s so true. i probably would describe myself more along the lines of what i am not, which seems to be the case more than anything when even trying to explain my faith, as immediately when you use the word ‘christian’ or ‘jesus’ people automatically latch on to many untrue concepts that i wouldn’t align myself with especially because of who Jesus says He is.

so here goes, (since you’re)

i am a follower of Jesus simply, not traditions or man-made rules,no i’m not emergent, or a part of the simple/organic revolution/church person either….but rather i love god which means i love and disciple people.

peace,
    heather

31. oogly says:

“Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus”…sounds good enough. I heard the ancient Greek word of Christian is actually literally translated to “slave of Christ”.

32. zoecarnate says:

@oogly: or “little Christ,” yeah…

…these days, if anyone asks, I call myself a ‘composted Christian,’ nodding to all the influences that have comprised my life – even those influences I’ve discarded, that are rotting out in the backyard…

…the cool thing about compost is that new, organic life grows out of it – yea & verily, even out of the $#!t…

33. “Post-everything mystic” hahahahahahah…but I’m serious

"He Makes All Things New." In other words, Christ is our eternal hope. I'm sitting in my swinging bench on the comforts of my front porch after an exhilarating and exhausting day at church. It never gets tiring, stale, or old to preach and proclaim the good news of the Gospel - not just on Resurrection Sunday but every week as we gather as the body of Christ.

But it was this picture of Coptic Christians in Egypt pouring into churches on Easter Sunday that deeply moved my heart...just a week after two churches were bombed by ISIS terrorists taking 45 lives and injuring hundreds.

Even in the face of persecution and suffering, I'm so grateful for the witness of these sisters and brothers in Christ. May they be comforted and strengthened...and wherever you are reading this post, stay encouraged. Be faithful and steadfast. Don't give up. May we keep running the race set before us as we fix our eyes on Christ.

It's not just there. It's all over the world...God is still at work. The Holy Spirit is still moving. God is not yet done. There's only one explanation:
Christ has risen! He has risen, indeed! Jesus is alive! Hallelujah! #OneChurch Remember, there is no Resurrection without the Crucifixion; No Easter Sunday without Passion Friday; No empty tomb without the Cross.

So, before we move too swiftly to the celebration of the risen Christ, may we sit at the foot of the Cross...and consider the depths of His sacrifice and love. "Oh, what love is this..." Just when we think we get what it means to follow Him, Jesus washes the feet of His disciples including...the one He knew would betray Him,

and the one that would deny him,

and the others that would abandon Him in His greatest need.

What amazing love.
What amazing grace. Oh. What. Amazing. Grace. M(inhee) + E(ugene). Not taking anything for granted. 20 years = 7300 days = 175,200 hours. A flourishing  marriage doesn't just happen. The idea that two Christians who choose to get married will produce a Christ honoring marriage is a gigantic myth. Its also extremely dangerous. The truth is that it takes so much intentionality and work. Intimacy definitely includes physical touch but is not only about physical touch. We have to pray, read, listen, learn, mutually submit, confess, forgive, repent, laugh, dream, rest, play, and the list goes on.

In other words, we have to keep Christ at the center because it's inevitable, there's a lot of messing up. So much messing up. It's both beautiful and painful and without grace, it's impossible.

Grateful. Thank you, Jesus, for your grace. And thank you, Minhee...

• It's not Easter. Crowds may be smaller. But may we preach the Gospel w/ deep conviction; That we truly believe that the tomb is still empty. || 4 hours ago
  • Looking for a church in Seattle? Join us tomorrow to hear a word from this woman of God. The tomb is still empty! twitter.com/LizVerHage/sta… || 7 hours ago
  • The degradation of our environment impacts all but the reality is that poor communities suffer most...perpetuating the injustice of poverty. || 14 hours ago
  • Caring for God's creation should always be part of our stewardship. In other words, it's not optional but an essential part of discipleship. || 16 hours ago
  • Fantastic @CTmagazine piece about @gailsongbantum, Executive Pastor @SeattleQuest. Inspired by her story/leadership: christianitytoday.com/women-leaders/… || 1 day ago
  • Lifting up prayers for the 3 police officers shot today in Seattle while responding to robbery; For their families & entire law enforcement. || 2 days ago