a day in frankfurt, germany

En route to South Africa, I had a 10 hour layover in Frankfurt, Germany.  After it took a few hours to rendezvous with a few folks I’m trekking with in South Africa for research and relationship building, I took several hours to attempt to soak in Frankfurt, Germany and here are some photos below for your enjoyment.

One of these days, I’d love to just backpack thr0ugh Europe.  Seriously, why can’t travel more inexpensive and accessible to everyone.

Who’s traveled to Europe?  Where?  Reflections?

I’ve actually been to Germany before – many years ago and soaked in a little of Frankfurt, Hamburg, Cologne and a small town called Kreutztal.  I especially love just trying to soak in the culture of another country and people.

Here are the pics:

Filed under: , travel,

1. Joel says:

I was in Germany a few months ago. A visit to former holocaust sites and the former nazi rally party grounds (now an incredible museum) were extremely sobering and fascinating. Pastor Eugene, not sure if you are traveling through Germany on the way back from S. Africa, but I’d recommend a day in Munich if you have a chance.

2. goldfearsnofire says:

Cool pictures Eugene. Although I live only two hours away (in Nurnberg) I have yet to explore much of Frankfurt. It looks nice. I have come to really love Germany for it’s quiet dignity, but strong tradition. I think that it’s always just rich to get outside of your comfort zone and experience somewhere new.

Did you experience any Obama mania today? I went to an Obama party to watch the swearing-in this evening, and it was a pretty cool cross-cultural experience. There must have been about 100 people or so, and most of them were Germans. I think that he’s got a pretty big fan base over here!

Hope that you have a good time in South Africa, and I will pray for potential seeds being sown.

Aufwiedersehen!

3. Ich bin eifersüchtig.

For two summers Lorri & I hosted a high-schooler from Frankfurt am Main area. Florian was working for Urban Impact for two months.

I told him that Florian was a very unusual name in the US for a male. I mean, when have you ever met a guy who goes by “Flo?”

So, his first week I’m taking him around, he wants to go up the Space Needle, naturlich.

I look at the ticket sales guy. Yup. There on his name tag: “Florian”

What a world. Safe travels brother.

4. hilarybarnett says:

I spent a month as an exchange student in Muehlheim, a small town outside of Frankfurt. It was lovely! And the people are very friendly, not to mention German food- Yum. I chose to minor in German at school because of the wonderful experience I had there. I have that same exact shot of the Frankfurter Dom! It is a wonderful town. I would echo Joel though in saying that Munich is a must see, as well as Dachau. It is less than an hour away from Munich by bus or train.

5. I’ve been privileged to live in Europe in the past. When I was a kid we lived in the Netherlands (Delft) and traveled around a lot during that time (1970’s). More recently my husband was working in the UK and our whole family moved there for about three years. We were able to do a lot of exploring in the UK and Ireland, along with the continent. Wonderful, wonderful! I’m glad you got to do a bit of looking around today, it’s one of my favorite things to do.

6. jason says:

I would love to go to Germany, my biological fathers family came from there

7. onamatopoeia says:

Beautiful photos. I’m actually half German. You should try going to Oldenburg when you have the time. It’s small and cute and quaint – perfect for photography. : )

8. Jim Chen says:

Love the colors! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

9. remember ol times says:

Do you remember the car without lights at night at the autobahn? You drove the car and did not see it and I took a long explanation to warn you, was it politeness or what? That really made us come close to nearly hit it.

Sometimes we need to be straightforward, real good German straightforward.

10. eugenecho says:

@remember ol times:

e: wow. i was thinking of you the entire time here and your family. you guys were such great hosts. how can i forget driving on the autobahn in the GTI. such great times.
    oh, and i also remember the incredible meals and bread every single day. you are missed and i hope you’re doing well!

11. mary says:

I’m currently in London right now for three months and have been surprised at how quickly it has come to feel like “home”. My husband and I will be traveling Europe for six weeks (Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Greece) this spring before we head back to the states. I am always impressed by the history here, in comparison with our young country.

12. Ben C says:

I only enjoyed Germany from visiting all the great automobile sites, namely Stuttgart for Porsche.

I could live in Barcelona which is saying a lot.

Italy was cool, but Rome was all right a bit too overrun with touristas.

Paris needs a month alone to enjoy and a good local friend.

I’ve been to other sites, but overall, I’m a huge fan of Europe. Great food. Healthier. And great driving roads.

13. jessicaschafer says:

I grew up in Germany, in the Black Forest, which is incredibly beautiful. My parents are missionaries out there (25 years!), and I have always felt so privileged to have grown up speaking another language and knowing another culture. I came back to Canada for college and have lived here since graduating, but what I miss the most about Europe is the sense of history. Old fortress ruins, beautiful cathedrals, walking paths that have been there for hundreds of years. I got to back “home” for Christmas this year and it was so great–cobblestones, German baking, my quaint little town with its slow pace of life and as someone else mentioned–the quiet dignity of its people.

14. J. P. says:

I visited my relatives in Saarbrücken in 1998 after a brief (and exciting) stay in Berlin where I nearly got mugged by a couple of skinheads… Also memorable was a brief drive on the Autobahn to the ancient city of Trier. Wish I could go again soon with my family!

15. jan owen says:

I’ve been to Paris and down to Chamonix, France and loved seeing the Alps. I went to Germany in 2008 while on sabbatical and went to Heidelburg to see a friend and then we wandered down into the Bavarian region. It was beautiful.

16. Just Meee~ says:

How ’bout picking ONE day next week and write something FUNNY and light…

Life is getting to all of us… and I think we need a LITE-day…

17. Kell says:

I have family in frankfurt Germany that I have never met. Does the last name Zippold ring a bell?

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.