inviting all prayers and dreamers

Please excuse us for being selfish but we need your help.  We are inviting all PRAYERS and DREAMERS.  Thus, we are coming to our larger community – friends, family, blogosphere network, Questers, and random connections – to genuinely share our  prayer requests and dreams.  Honestly, I’m not really good at asking for things.  That is something I need to be working on but here are two prayer requests and a repetitious dream I want to place before you.

DONATE TO HELP FIGHT GLOBAL POVERTY:

First of all, we thank those that have already decided to partner with us in helping “seed” the poverty organization. It is humbling…thank you.

Second, we want to take this opportunity again to invite people to join us.  We need your help…dream with us!  Imagine partnering together to help start an organization that can impact thousands and thousand of people around the world?  ANY financial support towards the “Operations Fund” is appreciated and needed to get the org started – which would then enable us to give 100% of all donations from the Giving Fund to projects and people around the world.  Please let us know [email me at seattlejediknight@gmail.com] if you want to donate and we’ll send you our vision letter.

PRAYER:

The sale of our home. Our home is listed on the housing market.  Please pray that our home finds a buyer.  Our agent is hosting an Open House this weekend and next.  You can say that we’re a little intimidated in this housing market with all the doom and gloom news. It doesn’t help that we’re 5000 miles away but we are trusting in the Lord.  We’re praying for a competitive sale since the equity is necessary to help fund the Global Poverty Humanitarian organization.

And for those who are concerned about our housing situation…no worries.  God has been very gracious to our family.  We have a wonderful home we have been living in for couple years in thanks to the shared generosity of our parents.  To our knowledge, they won’t kick us out anytime soon.  🙂

Non-Profit 501c3 Application. Please pray for the 501c3 application with the Internal Revenue Service.  We completed and turned in all the necessary documents couple months ago; we were hoping to receive a determination in August but as of now, we’re now about 30-60 days away. They are still processing older applications and the 501c3 issuance is very important as we move forward. We’ve been registered already as a non-profit through the State of Washington.

If you haven’t had a chance, you can also read the FAQ which should answer most of your questions.  Here are couple questions we often receive:

What is the ORG envisioning?

Our vision is to create a grassroots, global, and viral movement by integrating three key elements:  Human Relationships, Compassion & Justice, and Technology and Creativity.  We believe we can create an organization that will 1] inform and educate, 2] collect and distribute fund, 3] collaborate – all with the purpose of fighting global poverty.

While not exclusive, our vision is to focus on small NGOs [non-gov orgs] and CBOs [community based orgs] around the world, engage in larger grants of microfinance, and granting seed money for future ventures engaged in fighting poverty.  Our firm convictions are that there are men, women, and children, and orgs already on the ground that fully understand their local context and community.  They are doing amazing work to not only fight global poverty through demonstrations of compassion but building infrastructure for sustainability.

We are inviting thousands and millions of people around the world to get involved and together, we want to help “change the world.”

What is your personal commitment?

We are committing to give our One Year’s Salary [$66,000] to the cause of Fighting Global Poverty.  We’ve also committed to give an additional $34K, for a total of $100K.

Why are you making a big deal of giving away your money?

Honestly, we’re not trying to.  We would rather have just given away our money if that had been our only conviction.  But we believe we can make a greater impact by challenging others to join us in this fight against global poverty – even if in the slightest way.

How can we ask people to give if we don’t demonstrate our own commitment to this cause?  We are not asking people to do anything we are not first willing to do ourselves.  In short, we are putting our money where our mouth is.

Relevant Links:

Filed under: family, religion

1. Darren P. says:

Eugene,

Thanks for sharing your heart. My wife and I will be in prayer for you throughout.

2. Donna says:

Hello, Eugene & Minhee,

I’ll be praying for you & asking God’s blessing for a quick sale of your home & to bless your new venture.

3. daphne says:

you got it. we’ll be praying for you.

4. sammie says:

Grant the desires of their heart, Lord. Honor them as they seek to honor you. Surprise them beyond their imaginations. Do a wondrous work so that others may be drawn to YOU.

5. Hello,

My sister told me she had found your blog, so I came to see how you have been “moving & shaking” in seattle…I’m glad to see that you’re doing well. Your vision to stop global poverty is awesome & left me speechless, but I wasn’t surprised because it’s like you to start something so extraordinary. I’m hoping to round up our old youth group members & donate. I’ll see how that goes…My prayers are with you & your family.

6. We will keep you guys in our prayers.

7. Peter Choi says:

Eug,
    I am praying for you and your family. You are such a inspiration to me. Your challenges are affecting so many people. Heem-Nae!

8. Jenny says:

Be encouraged, remember that it is GOD’S dream in you that you are pursuing. He will accomplish all that He has planned…and it will be exciting to see how He does it!

My husband and I are excited to go to Quest on Sunday! 🙂

God bless you and your family.

9. David Weber says:

Kiva.com is a micro-lending agency, doing magnificent work in ending poverty, one person at a time.

I appreciate that others feel the need to start organizations of their own to “do something” but I also affirm my belief that the best way to make a difference is to help build on that which is already successfully being done.

10. rex says:

I will be praying for you.

I praise God for what He has given you and what He has allowed you to do in His name.

God bless.

11. eugenecho says:

@david weber: yes, you are affirmed. kiva is a great org. one of many. i’m also glad that when folks told them the exact same thing several years ago, they examined themselves and moved forward.

12. Tom says:

We have only been a legal non-profit for 2 months
    there is hope and you have a great goal

13. Anthony says:

You are in my thoughts & prayers during this time commitment.

14. […] inviting all prayers and dreamers « beauty and depravity Updates from Eugene Cho’s work on global poverty (tags: poverty global prayer justice) […]

15. […] the power of education * if this post compels you, consider joining us in prayers and dreams. […]

16. question abt q says:

we’re checking out q and noticed women pastors – is this bibilical?

17. rk says:

someone in my chruch annointed her home with oil as she prayed over it. the sale went well and she got the price she wanted.

18. […] How to donate to the Seeds Funds for Org […]

19. […] or certificates to Vietnames pho noodle, Minhee is requesting that each of you take ONE minute to read this post and consider making a small […]

41 years ago today, our family immigrated to the United States from Seoul, South Korea. I was six years old; the youngest of three sons. My father, when he was also six, fled from what is now known as North Korea. Just recently, he shared with me that he and some of his family had been in a refugee camp when war and violence broke out on the Korean peninsula. It's emotional thinking about what my brothers and I went through coming to a completely foreign country. It wasn't easy. And then, I think about what my parents had to go through:

They fled their homes near Pyongyang which also meant leaving some of their extended families.

They experienced unfathomable hunger and poverty.

They experienced the pain of war.

They immigrated again to the United States as adults with minimal resources and a handful of English words.

All in hopes that their children would have the opportunities that were never afforded to them.

I'm thinking of my brothers today. I'm thinking of my parents and honoring them for their sacrifice and tenacity. And finally, I'm thinking of refugees and immigrants all around the world that are yearning for family, peace, hope, and opportunities. Don't reduce Martin Luther King Jr. to a yearly quote on social media. Live out the dream. Seek first the Kingdom of God. Confront evil. Be a truth-teller. Seek justice. Love mercy. Pursue reconciliation. Build bridges. Love your neighbors. Forgive your enemies. Pray unceasingly. Live a committed life of peace, love, and justice.

The God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today.

Be brave. "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Here's the full context of his famous quote: "The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate. Only love can do that." An important word for the Church... Oh, how God loves the nations. The Scriptures make this so clear. No one - let alone, the leader of a country - should ever disparage other nations with such a disgusting comment.

To the beautiful people of Haiti, El Salvador, and of the many countries of Africa: We are so sorry. Please accept our apologies on behalf of President Trump.

I've had the privilege of being in Haiti twice and numerous countries in Africa including Kenya where I took this picture during an afternoon drive near Kijabe. In many of these visits, I witnessed such creativity, courage, leadership, hospitality and kindness. To follow Jesus without obedience, repentance, self-denial, and dying to self is an oxymoron. In other words, are we more in love with the idea of following Jesus than actually following Jesus?

Grateful for an incredible Sunday at @seattlequest of beginning our 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting.

• Be humble. The world is bigger than your view of the world. And certainly, God is much bigger than your view of God. || 17 hours ago
  • 41 years ago today, our family immigrated to the United States from Seoul, South Korea. I was… instagram.com/p/BeEoA_ogLtx/ || 3 days ago
  • Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor. || 4 days ago
  • Don't reduce Martin Luther King Jr. to a yearly quote on social media. Live out the dream.… instagram.com/p/Bd_bYCDgM9h/ || 5 days ago
  • Everyone loves the idea of justice...until there's a personal cost. But there's always a cost to justice. Grateful… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 6 days ago
  • RT @BerniceKing: As you honor my father today, please remember and honor my mother, as well. She was the architect of the King Legacy and f… || 6 days ago