inviting all prayers and dreamers

Please excuse us for being selfish but we need your help.  We are inviting all PRAYERS and DREAMERS.  Thus, we are coming to our larger community – friends, family, blogosphere network, Questers, and random connections – to genuinely share our  prayer requests and dreams.  Honestly, I’m not really good at asking for things.  That is something I need to be working on but here are two prayer requests and a repetitious dream I want to place before you.

DONATE TO HELP FIGHT GLOBAL POVERTY:

First of all, we thank those that have already decided to partner with us in helping “seed” the poverty organization. It is humbling…thank you.

Second, we want to take this opportunity again to invite people to join us.  We need your help…dream with us!  Imagine partnering together to help start an organization that can impact thousands and thousand of people around the world?  ANY financial support towards the “Operations Fund” is appreciated and needed to get the org started – which would then enable us to give 100% of all donations from the Giving Fund to projects and people around the world.  Please let us know [email me at seattlejediknight@gmail.com] if you want to donate and we’ll send you our vision letter.

PRAYER:

The sale of our home. Our home is listed on the housing market.  Please pray that our home finds a buyer.  Our agent is hosting an Open House this weekend and next.  You can say that we’re a little intimidated in this housing market with all the doom and gloom news. It doesn’t help that we’re 5000 miles away but we are trusting in the Lord.  We’re praying for a competitive sale since the equity is necessary to help fund the Global Poverty Humanitarian organization.

And for those who are concerned about our housing situation…no worries.  God has been very gracious to our family.  We have a wonderful home we have been living in for couple years in thanks to the shared generosity of our parents.  To our knowledge, they won’t kick us out anytime soon. :)

Non-Profit 501c3 Application. Please pray for the 501c3 application with the Internal Revenue Service.  We completed and turned in all the necessary documents couple months ago; we were hoping to receive a determination in August but as of now, we’re now about 30-60 days away. They are still processing older applications and the 501c3 issuance is very important as we move forward. We’ve been registered already as a non-profit through the State of Washington.

If you haven’t had a chance, you can also read the FAQ which should answer most of your questions.  Here are couple questions we often receive:

What is the ORG envisioning?

Our vision is to create a grassroots, global, and viral movement by integrating three key elements:  Human Relationships, Compassion & Justice, and Technology and Creativity.  We believe we can create an organization that will 1] inform and educate, 2] collect and distribute fund, 3] collaborate – all with the purpose of fighting global poverty.

While not exclusive, our vision is to focus on small NGOs [non-gov orgs] and CBOs [community based orgs] around the world, engage in larger grants of microfinance, and granting seed money for future ventures engaged in fighting poverty.  Our firm convictions are that there are men, women, and children, and orgs already on the ground that fully understand their local context and community.  They are doing amazing work to not only fight global poverty through demonstrations of compassion but building infrastructure for sustainability.

We are inviting thousands and millions of people around the world to get involved and together, we want to help “change the world.”

What is your personal commitment?

We are committing to give our One Year’s Salary [$66,000] to the cause of Fighting Global Poverty.  We’ve also committed to give an additional $34K, for a total of $100K.

Why are you making a big deal of giving away your money?

Honestly, we’re not trying to.  We would rather have just given away our money if that had been our only conviction.  But we believe we can make a greater impact by challenging others to join us in this fight against global poverty – even if in the slightest way.

How can we ask people to give if we don’t demonstrate our own commitment to this cause?  We are not asking people to do anything we are not first willing to do ourselves.  In short, we are putting our money where our mouth is.

Relevant Links:

Filed under: family, religion

1. Darren P. says:

Eugene,

Thanks for sharing your heart. My wife and I will be in prayer for you throughout.

2. Donna says:

Hello, Eugene & Minhee,

I’ll be praying for you & asking God’s blessing for a quick sale of your home & to bless your new venture.

3. daphne says:

you got it. we’ll be praying for you.

4. sammie says:

Grant the desires of their heart, Lord. Honor them as they seek to honor you. Surprise them beyond their imaginations. Do a wondrous work so that others may be drawn to YOU.

5. Hello,

My sister told me she had found your blog, so I came to see how you have been “moving & shaking” in seattle…I’m glad to see that you’re doing well. Your vision to stop global poverty is awesome & left me speechless, but I wasn’t surprised because it’s like you to start something so extraordinary. I’m hoping to round up our old youth group members & donate. I’ll see how that goes…My prayers are with you & your family.

6. We will keep you guys in our prayers.

7. Peter Choi says:

Eug,
    I am praying for you and your family. You are such a inspiration to me. Your challenges are affecting so many people. Heem-Nae!

8. Jenny says:

Be encouraged, remember that it is GOD’S dream in you that you are pursuing. He will accomplish all that He has planned…and it will be exciting to see how He does it!

My husband and I are excited to go to Quest on Sunday!:)

God bless you and your family.

9. David Weber says:

Kiva.com is a micro-lending agency, doing magnificent work in ending poverty, one person at a time.

I appreciate that others feel the need to start organizations of their own to “do something” but I also affirm my belief that the best way to make a difference is to help build on that which is already successfully being done.

10. rex says:

I will be praying for you.

I praise God for what He has given you and what He has allowed you to do in His name.

God bless.

11. eugenecho says:

@david weber: yes, you are affirmed. kiva is a great org. one of many. i’m also glad that when folks told them the exact same thing several years ago, they examined themselves and moved forward.

12. Tom says:

We have only been a legal non-profit for 2 months
    there is hope and you have a great goal

13. Anthony says:

You are in my thoughts & prayers during this time commitment.

14. […] inviting all prayers and dreamers « beauty and depravity Updates from Eugene Cho’s work on global poverty (tags: poverty global prayer justice) […]

15. […] the power of education * if this post compels you, consider joining us in prayers and dreams. […]

16. question abt q says:

we’re checking out q and noticed women pastors – is this bibilical?

17. rk says:

someone in my chruch annointed her home with oil as she prayed over it. the sale went well and she got the price she wanted.

18. […] How to donate to the Seeds Funds for Org […]

19. […] or certificates to Vietnames pho noodle, Minhee is requesting that each of you take ONE minute to read this post and consider making a small […]

Checking out Canada in case I need to move up North after the presidential election. Just saying, eh.

Downtown Toronto. Fascinating architecture. Amazed by the diversity of this city. We desperately want our children to not just be captivated by the beauty of creation...but more importantly, to the actual Creator of all that is good and beautiful.

Actually, we want and need this truth for our souls, too. What a privilege. This isn't possible without all those who give, pray, and support the work of @onedayswages. This week, I signed and mailed grants to three partner organizations totaling over $170,000. These grants will empower people by supporting maternal health care, refugee relief efforts, access to clean water, provide education, etc.

Sometimes, the brokenness of the world feel so overwhelming but let's keep running the race with endurance. Let's keep pursuing justice, mercy, and humility. Let's be faithful and may we be spurred on to keep working for God's Kingdom...on earth as it is in heaven.

Again, thank you so much for your support for @onedayswages! My wife, Minhee, and I stand on the shoulders of praying mothers. I'd like to take a moment to honor my mother-in-law. It's hard to put words together to embody her life but she is a very special, anointed person. I'm so blessed to have her as a mother in my life.

She was a devoted wife until she lost her husband to cancer, mother to three daughters, and later became a pastor. She became a follower of Christ as an adult and as such, led her her family to Christ. In her late 50s, she obeyed God's calling to go to seminary and be a leader in the church. She graduated #1 in her class and reminded us that it's never too late to follow a new dream or calling.

As she'll soon celebrate her 80th birthday, I'm especially grateful for the ways that she poured into and prayed over Minhee and her other children.  Even though she's officially retired, I'm inspired that the concept of retirement is not in her vocabulary.  She continues to serve the local church, evangelize and bear witness to Christ, and goes to the early morning prayer meeting at 5am everyday to pray for our family, our church, and for others.
Jangmonim, we love and honor you. 어머니, 사랑합니다.

Someday, I hope that when my kids speak of Minhee and I...above all, they would say with integrity that their parents prayed for them and kept pointing them to Christ. On this Mother's Day, I want to take a few words to honor mother.

There’s a moment from a few years ago that will stick with me until the day I die. It’s regarding Sung Wha, my mother.

Minhee and I were at a point of transition, between working at an ethnic Korean church in the northern suburbs of Seattle called Lynnwood and launching Quest in urban Seattle. As I shared earlier, I was in desperate need of a job. I had a mortgage to pay. A pregnant wife. A kid at home.
Then, praise God, after months without work, I finally landed a job.

My mom was in between jobs at this point in her life. She was in her late fifties, but she had such bad knees and degenerative hips that it was, and is, difficult for her to walk. My mom is like a human barometer—when a storm is coming and when it rains, her hips throb. Although my parents lived in San Francisco, she was visiting us in Seattle to encourage us in this difficult season.

As I prepared to go to work one early morning, I walked downstairs to put on my jacket and shoes, and forgot that my mother woke up early every morning to pray. In fact, she had been praying for months that I would find a job. “Eugene, where are you going?” she said when she saw me.

I hadn’t told my mother the news that I had just recently been hired for the janitorial gig at Barnes and Noble. I chose not to because I thought she and my father would be devastated. I didn’t want them to think that after laboring, sacrificing, and doing so much for us over all those years that their son had failed them.

But I couldn’t lie to her, so eventually I told my mom that I got a job and was going to work. “Great! What job? What are you doing?” “Um, I’m working at Barnes and Noble as their custodian,” I said finally.

Without asking another question, my mother got up from the dining table where she had been reading her Bible and praying. She slowly walked slowly toward me.

She approached me, then walked past me without saying a word, and I realized she was headed toward the closet. She opened the closet door, put on her jacket, turned around and said to me (in Korean), “Eugene, let’s go together. I will help you.” This is my mother. I love all the free amazing views in our Evergreen State. #RattlesnakeLedge

• Don't obsess about your platform.Just do your thing with passion, humility, integrity. We do what we do for God's glory, not human applause. || 7 hours ago
  • Someone tell Steph Curry that he's the MVP because he's playing a lot like me in my rec league. || 19 hours ago
  • .@SeattleQuest recently hosted Kenneth Bae (Prisoner 103). He was detained in DPRK for 735days. WATCH his testimony: vimeo.com/167680426 || 1 day ago
  • RT @seattlequest: Suffering is a short cut to God's heart. Even if your circumstances don't change, God is always w/ you. - KennethBae http… || 2 days ago
  • Oh Lord, You love North Korea, Syria, Iraq, Congo, Nigeria, Turkey and ______. You love the nations. Give us Your heart for the world. Amen. || 3 days ago
  • Please remember and pray for Pastor Lim Hyeon Soo who was sentenced for life in North Korea. goo.gl/VvuyQs https://t.co/XonidqDlhb || 3 days ago

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,409 other followers