inviting all prayers and dreamers

Please excuse us for being selfish but we need your help.  We are inviting all PRAYERS and DREAMERS.  Thus, we are coming to our larger community – friends, family, blogosphere network, Questers, and random connections – to genuinely share our  prayer requests and dreams.  Honestly, I’m not really good at asking for things.  That is something I need to be working on but here are two prayer requests and a repetitious dream I want to place before you.

First of all, we thank those that have already decided to partner with us in helping “seed” the poverty organization. It is humbling…thank you.

Second, we want to take this opportunity again to invite people to join us.  We need your help…dream with us!  Imagine partnering together to help start an organization that can impact thousands and thousand of people around the world?  ANY financial support towards the “Operations Fund” is appreciated and needed to get the org started – which would then enable us to give 100% of all donations from the Giving Fund to projects and people around the world.  Please let us know [email me at] if you want to donate and we’ll send you our vision letter.

The sale of our home. Our home is listed on the housing market.  Please pray that our home finds a buyer.  Our agent is hosting an Open House this weekend and next.  You can say that we’re a little intimidated in this housing market with all the doom and gloom news. It doesn’t help that we’re 5000 miles away but we are trusting in the Lord.  We’re praying for a competitive sale since the equity is necessary to help fund the Global Poverty Humanitarian organization.

And for those who are concerned about our housing situation…no worries.  God has been very gracious to our family.  We have a wonderful home we have been living in for couple years in thanks to the shared generosity of our parents.  To our knowledge, they won’t kick us out anytime soon. 🙂

Non-Profit 501c3 Application. Please pray for the 501c3 application with the Internal Revenue Service.  We completed and turned in all the necessary documents couple months ago; we were hoping to receive a determination in August but as of now, we’re now about 30-60 days away. They are still processing older applications and the 501c3 issuance is very important as we move forward. We’ve been registered already as a non-profit through the State of Washington.

If you haven’t had a chance, you can also read the FAQ which should answer most of your questions.  Here are couple questions we often receive:

What is the ORG envisioning?

Our vision is to create a grassroots, global, and viral movement by integrating three key elements:  Human Relationships, Compassion & Justice, and Technology and Creativity.  We believe we can create an organization that will 1] inform and educate, 2] collect and distribute fund, 3] collaborate – all with the purpose of fighting global poverty.

While not exclusive, our vision is to focus on small NGOs [non-gov orgs] and CBOs [community based orgs] around the world, engage in larger grants of microfinance, and granting seed money for future ventures engaged in fighting poverty.  Our firm convictions are that there are men, women, and children, and orgs already on the ground that fully understand their local context and community.  They are doing amazing work to not only fight global poverty through demonstrations of compassion but building infrastructure for sustainability.

We are inviting thousands and millions of people around the world to get involved and together, we want to help “change the world.”

What is your personal commitment?

We are committing to give our One Year’s Salary [$66,000] to the cause of Fighting Global Poverty.  We’ve also committed to give an additional $34K, for a total of $100K.

Why are you making a big deal of giving away your money?

Honestly, we’re not trying to.  We would rather have just given away our money if that had been our only conviction.  But we believe we can make a greater impact by challenging others to join us in this fight against global poverty – even if in the slightest way.

How can we ask people to give if we don’t demonstrate our own commitment to this cause?  We are not asking people to do anything we are not first willing to do ourselves.  In short, we are putting our money where our mouth is.

Relevant Links:

Filed under: family, religion

1. Darren P. says:

Thanks for sharing your heart. My wife and I will be in prayer for you throughout.

2. Donna says:

Hello, Eugene & Minhee,

I’ll be praying for you & asking God’s blessing for a quick sale of your home & to bless your new venture.

3. daphne says:

you got it. we’ll be praying for you.

4. sammie says:

Grant the desires of their heart, Lord. Honor them as they seek to honor you. Surprise them beyond their imaginations. Do a wondrous work so that others may be drawn to YOU.

5. Hello,

My sister told me she had found your blog, so I came to see how you have been “moving & shaking” in seattle…I’m glad to see that you’re doing well. Your vision to stop global poverty is awesome & left me speechless, but I wasn’t surprised because it’s like you to start something so extraordinary. I’m hoping to round up our old youth group members & donate. I’ll see how that goes…My prayers are with you & your family.

6. We will keep you guys in our prayers.

7. Peter Choi says:

I am praying for you and your family. You are such a inspiration to me. Your challenges are affecting so many people. Heem-Nae!

8. Jenny says:

Be encouraged, remember that it is GOD’S dream in you that you are pursuing. He will accomplish all that He has planned…and it will be exciting to see how He does it!

My husband and I are excited to go to Quest on Sunday!🙂

God bless you and your family.

9. David Weber says: is a micro-lending agency, doing magnificent work in ending poverty, one person at a time.

I appreciate that others feel the need to start organizations of their own to “do something” but I also affirm my belief that the best way to make a difference is to help build on that which is already successfully being done.

10. rex says:

I will be praying for you.

I praise God for what He has given you and what He has allowed you to do in His name.

God bless.

11. eugenecho says:

@david weber: yes, you are affirmed. kiva is a great org. one of many. i’m also glad that when folks told them the exact same thing several years ago, they examined themselves and moved forward.

12. Tom says:

We have only been a legal non-profit for 2 months
    there is hope and you have a great goal

13. Anthony says:

You are in my thoughts & prayers during this time commitment.

14. […] inviting all prayers and dreamers « beauty and depravity Updates from Eugene Cho’s work on global poverty (tags: poverty global prayer justice) […]

15. […] the power of education * if this post compels you, consider joining us in prayers and dreams. […]

16. question abt q says:

we’re checking out q and noticed women pastors – is this bibilical?

17. rk says:

someone in my chruch annointed her home with oil as she prayed over it. the sale went well and she got the price she wanted.

18. […] How to donate to the Seeds Funds for Org […]

19. […] or certificates to Vietnames pho noodle, Minhee is requesting that each of you take ONE minute to read this post and consider making a small […]

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Whoa. Beautiful. Mesmerizing. Also reminded that while buildings are nice and have their place, the building isn't the church Let's fully welcome refugees. Remember, refugees aren't terrorists...they're the ones fleeing away from violence, war, and terrorism.
Afraid? Me too. It's ok to acknowledge we're afraid since it confirms we're all...just...human. We're all afraid on some level especially when our culture seems to run on the currency of fear but as we live out our faith in Christ and more deeply embody compassion and love, fear begins to dissipate. It's also incredibly critical to know that agencies are implementing some of the most rigorous and thorough vetting ever.
My family hosted a Somalian Muslim family from a refugee camp years ago through @WorldRelief. It was eye opening, challenging (especially with language realities), and yet, encouraging...and we hope to host families again in the future as they resettle in a completely new and foreign city and country. It's a terrifying experience. And while not a refugee, I remember the first few months as an immigrant when I was six years old. To this day, I remember the kindness of folks that helped us through that transition. Lift a prayer for me as I'm privileged to collaborate in ministry here in Melbourne, Australia. Meeting with local pastors, teaching at the Justice Conference (10/21-22). Then, preaching at the Bridge Church on Sunday  Pray that in preaching the whole Gospel from the Scriptures, I may honor God, point people to Jesus, and be sensitive to the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Interesting. The holy bench. Wow. And in a blink of an eye, this happened. The nights might be long but the years go by fast. #ParentProverbs #WhatHappenedToMy13YearOldSon This past week, @seattlequest celebrated its 15th Anniversary. In many ways, it feels like forever and in other ways, it just seemed like we just started yesterday.

Around May 2000, Minhee and I found out we were expecting a 2nd child. Then, we got another surprise. We felt a calling and stirring to plant a church. We told God, "This is horrible timing!" We left a thriving ministry that we started in the Seattle surburbs and felt compelled to move into the city to plant a new multiethnic church called Quest. To be honest, we were so scared. Minhee was pregnant. Our insurance was about to run out. But we ventured forth. Once I resigned from this church, I had plans, goals, strategies...and none of them materialized. Only bills and payments. I quickly found out that a Masters of Divinity degree - as cool as it may sound - is actually useless in society. No one wanted to hire me. I was unemployed for months. We were eventually on food stamps and DSHS insurance.

In December 2000, we welcomed our 2nd child to the world. When "T" was born, we cried more than the baby. Couple days later, I finally landed a job as the janitor at a Barnes & Noble store. It wasn't quite what I was envisioning but God really worked through this "valley season." And we finally felt peace about starting Quest. Seven people gathered in our living room and several months later on October 2001, Quest Church was officially launched.
It has not been easy. We've been hurt and worse, we learned we hurt people. More accurately, I hurt people. We've heard our share of criticisms and sometimes, even worse. I've been called my share of names. Too many to list. I've been too liberal, too conservative, too edgy, too rigid, too blunt, too passive. We spent many nights crying out to the Lord...for direction, for peace, for answers. We usually never got the answers we were wanting...but we always felt His presence - even during our valleys. To be honest, we still have many restless nights. In fact, I think we have had more restless nights these past two years than we did in the first two years.
But through it all. God has been so faithful and gracious. Thank you, Lord.