Please take a few minutes to read this. We can’t save the world but we can make a difference.
It’s in the news all around us: the situation in Darfur; the cyclone catastrophe in Burma/Myanmar; unfathomable hunger in North Korea; the food crisis in numerous places around the world, and the list can and do go on. Over 3 billion people live on less than $2/day; About 1 billion live on less than $1/day; Nearly 1.1 billion people do not have access to clean water; About 27,000-30,000 children die daily due to poverty. Staggering and numbing statistics.
While it’s awkward to make a public appeal and broadcast of our vision, that is the decision that we’ve made – for better or worse. We do care what others think which is why we didn’t want to be in this situation but we also realized that in order for us to pursue what we feel called to do, we simply can’t do it alone.
As some of you already know, we are birthing a non-profit & non-religious Humanitarian organization to fight global poverty. It has begun and we’ll be using the next several months to ramp up to our offical launch. While we’re not ready to yet reveal the name of our organization, this is our goal:
Our hope is to create a grassroots, global, and viral movement by integrating three key elements: human relationships, compassion & justice, and technology & creativity.
Our goal for the organization and website is to create a global community for the purposes of: 1) information and education, 2) collection and distribution, and 3) collaboration and innovation. Our goal is to give away 100% of all donations to small organizations and partners around the world that are already fighting extreme poverty. While not exclusive, our vision is to focus on small ngos (<$100k budget) around the world and engage in larger grants of microfinance, and granting seed money for future ventures. Our goal is to raise $1 million by 2010, $5 million in 5 years and $25 million+ in the next 20 years. Ideally, our goal is to raise as much money as possible and redistribute 100% of those funds around the world to the fight of global poverty.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- We are set to receive tax-deductible donations. If you are interested in making a donation, contact me to receive the support letter. Our goal is to raise a minimum of $66,000 to help with the operation expenses. We’re asking for folks to consider giving $250, $500, $1000, $5000, and what the heck, anything helps. As you know, we’ve personally committed $100,000 to get this started. You can click here to read more.
- Join this FACEBOOK GROUP and help spread the word.
- Join us for the upcoming INTRO MEETING. Date forthcoming.
- If this is your vibe, please keep us in PRAYER.
- Finish up the last leg of paperwork. Thanks to one of our lawyer friends, this seems to be in good hands.
- Set up office in the next 2-3 weeks and get the beta website up by the end of this month. We’ll need to go through multiple versions.
- Organize an INTRO MEETING for anyone interested in learning more and meet up with potential advisors, volunteer and paid staff, and board of directors.
- To work our asses off during our sabbatical which begins in about 5 weeks [3 months]. Before we head off to Asia, Minhee and I [likely myself] will be off to Haiti to make some connections and learn first hand about the global food crisis.
Our vision cannot eradicate poverty. But our simple hope is to be moved and move others into action because while we can’t save the world, we can help one child, one family, one village… We can make a difference.
And yes, as I shared before, we are simply joining in what is already going on around the world. We are not the first and thankfully, we will not be the last. Nevertheless, our hope and prayer is that our Foundation and NPO can provide a unique opportunity for many around the world to engage this fight.