“guide us…”

I’ve been feeling a little overwhelmed this week with stuff.  As a result, I haven’t had the energy or time to follow through on posts I’ve been wanting and promising to write [sorry!].  Yesterday, I came home feeling stressed.  It’s a strange feeling because my threshold for stress is very high.  I rarely get rattled.  It’s good to have this sense of stability but if I’m not careful, it leads to my biggest personal struggle: my pride and self-reliance.  Confidence is good; self-reliance or rather, unreliance on God is my path to isolation and exhaustion.

Yesterday, I was especially feeling overwhelmed with stuff:  trying to care for people stuff; church stuff; interviewing people stuff; QCafe stuff; need to feed three kids stuff; need to sell the home stuff; humanitarian organization stuff;  wanting to fly to Myanmar stuff [if they were issuing visas!]; getting ready to head to Asia for our sabbatical stuff; getting ready to host several guests at our home stuff, getting ready for important meetings stuff; and other stuff.

Lots of stuff.

My wife, Minhee, sat me down last night, held my hands and just prayed.  It was so good for the soul.  We prayed for many things but if there was a phrase that kept echoing in my heart, it was:

“Lord, guide us…”

That’s exactly what I needed to hear and pray.

Question for YOU:

If you could summarize your prayers to a short phrase, what would it be?

I know there’s many who read the blog but don’t comment.  It would be great to hear from everyone [and encouraging to one another] to share how you are seeking and praying.

Filed under: , family, religion

1. Janet says:

Lately, my prayer has been, “Change my heart, O Lord.”

2. elling says:

I’m praying trough the psalms, finding just one sentence or word each day in the spesific psalms that I will pray over. Today it was “You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil;” from Psallm 5.

3. Danny says:

Use me, O Lord, for your glory and honor.
    Use me.

4. Teresa says:

your kingdom come, your will be done…..

5. jason says:

help me be a better husband, father, and person

6. Randall says:

Hang in there PE.

I’ll be praying for you.

7. erick says:

Eugene. Thanks for this piece, it hit home pretty hard for me. first of all, stress has been heavy on me lately. my wife and i just moved for the third time since we were married in august and between transition (again), a new position with a new ministry, being new to marriage…the list could go on…it just seems like even with good things it can feel like so much is going wrong. I personally can really struggle with feelings of inadequacy and yes, pride can be too much for me as well. I am not a control freak when it comes to myself and others, but with God I can be. I ask myself in a state of realization, “what the crap did I do that for?”. Not that it’s about the easy way out in life, but honestly, that is what God wants for us, right? To make things easier because of our reliance on Him…to me, ‘healthy relationship’ and ‘reliance’ are synonymous. I realize that my issue is in my self-expectancies of earning. So far from how God thinks, huh? This is a habitual thing for me and only God and my reliance on Him will take care of it. I expect too much from myself and have this sense that I need to prove myself, i think this shuts the door on grace. Anyways, my prayer needs to be “let go, erick. let go.” thanks for letting me ponder out loud, i’m feeling a little mashed up today.

8. Tyler says:

Lord, teach me what it means to rely on you…

9. Blogbarger says:

My prayers this year (so far) have gone something like this: “Yes, Lord. Yes, I agree. I know this is true. What do I do now? How…..?” Thanks for your honest post. I really appreciate your blog (which I am new to). I’ll be praying for your upcoming trip.

10. smileforjc says:

Lord, I want to be more like YOU.

11. Nina says:

Lord lead me

&

Lord teach me,

…change my mind & understanding.

12. becky says:

Please help me to want what YOU want.

13. ctaloyo says:

Where are You? (Help me see)

14. FF says:

Eugene,
    I’m not a Christian anymore – I think – but have been lurking on your blog for awhile now. It’s given me much to be hopeful about as I find the courage to one day return to faith.

Help my unbelief. I want to know you.

15. rexhamilton says:

Great post Eugene! Your transparency is a light…

My prayer lately has been simple. “Please show me what you’re doing today, Jesus.”

16. eugenecho says:

@everyone. thanks everyone for sharing and look forward to hearing from others.

@smileforjc: good to hear from you. look forward to crossing paths in asia soon.

@erick: wow. thanks for sharing that.

17. Wayne Park says:

P.E., come to think of it, u sounded tired on the phone the other day – more tired than us and we’ve been rocked pretty hard lately. But things are going to take an upturn this summer. Everything will be ok…

18. Betty says:

For the past few years mine has sounded something like, “Free me from fear, fill me with love.”

19. brandonsneed says:

Jesus save me.

Sounds Sunday-school-ish but seriously … my biggest problems the past few years of college have been the polar opposite to what yours are. Self reliance and overconfidence? I wish. Self doubt and overanxious-ness? Yeah … been a good learning trip though.

More details on that on my blog.

20. Leah says:

honestly, when i get so exhausted from trying to do too much, and don’t think i can keep up with it all, when i feel like i’m failing or falling, when i feel afraid or alone and just don’t know what i should be doing with my life, i pray the same prayer:

“jesus”

not very fancy, but that’s it.

21. jim says:

Break Me and Recreate Me!

22. P.V.Sankar says:

My prayer will be “LET THY WILL BE DONE”

23. georgesong says:

“the joy of the Lord is my strength…”

24. Chad says:

“Lord, help me and teach me.”

25. Rebecca says:

“In Your Presence is fullness of Joy”

26. gaius says:

help me to be all that You’ve created me to be

27. foster says:

i need you

28. Melissa says:

I pray first for wisdom, then for courage. The first is useless without the second.

29. queltica says:

i guess it’s a prayer:

um, hello? are you real?

30. Katherine says:

Mine: “Lord, help!”

My sister’s (for over a year): “God, I need a job”

31. Linda says:

I’m with Theresa and PVSanker… Thy will be done

32. w says:

Lord, be gentle with me because I am so weak.

or

Let not my need for or lack of your perfect understanding/wisdom, keep me from moving.

33. slim1 says:

less of me, more of You

34. Meghan Burt says:

“Help me to trust that those who mourn will be comforted…”

35. Rachael says:

lately, my word has been “let”. it covers my life as a child of God quite well, especially as i continue to begin to understand submission (there’s that nasty word again, PE!), grace, forgiveness and peace.

36. dreamxchaser says:

lord, help me make it home ok. ( thats what i say every night now. )

37. […] rest for the soul There are some significant transitions going on with me and my family.  They speak the language of both excitement and anxiety to my soul.   For folks that know me well, they know that when things get tough or busy, I just put my head down, wear my heart on my sleeve and roll up those sleeves, and just pound away – no matter how heavy the strongwind..  And more often than not, things move and get done but as I’ve shared before, I can fall into the temptation of self reliance. […]

Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove