“guide us…”

I’ve been feeling a little overwhelmed this week with stuff.  As a result, I haven’t had the energy or time to follow through on posts I’ve been wanting and promising to write [sorry!].  Yesterday, I came home feeling stressed.  It’s a strange feeling because my threshold for stress is very high.  I rarely get rattled.  It’s good to have this sense of stability but if I’m not careful, it leads to my biggest personal struggle: my pride and self-reliance.  Confidence is good; self-reliance or rather, unreliance on God is my path to isolation and exhaustion.

Yesterday, I was especially feeling overwhelmed with stuff:  trying to care for people stuff; church stuff; interviewing people stuff; QCafe stuff; need to feed three kids stuff; need to sell the home stuff; humanitarian organization stuff;  wanting to fly to Myanmar stuff [if they were issuing visas!]; getting ready to head to Asia for our sabbatical stuff; getting ready to host several guests at our home stuff, getting ready for important meetings stuff; and other stuff.

Lots of stuff.

My wife, Minhee, sat me down last night, held my hands and just prayed.  It was so good for the soul.  We prayed for many things but if there was a phrase that kept echoing in my heart, it was:

“Lord, guide us…”

That’s exactly what I needed to hear and pray.

Question for YOU:

If you could summarize your prayers to a short phrase, what would it be?

I know there’s many who read the blog but don’t comment.  It would be great to hear from everyone [and encouraging to one another] to share how you are seeking and praying.

Filed under: , family, religion

1. Janet says:

Lately, my prayer has been, “Change my heart, O Lord.”

2. elling says:

I’m praying trough the psalms, finding just one sentence or word each day in the spesific psalms that I will pray over. Today it was “You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil;” from Psallm 5.

3. Danny says:

Use me, O Lord, for your glory and honor.
    Use me.

4. Teresa says:

your kingdom come, your will be done…..

5. jason says:

help me be a better husband, father, and person

6. Randall says:

Hang in there PE.

I’ll be praying for you.

7. erick says:

Eugene. Thanks for this piece, it hit home pretty hard for me. first of all, stress has been heavy on me lately. my wife and i just moved for the third time since we were married in august and between transition (again), a new position with a new ministry, being new to marriage…the list could go on…it just seems like even with good things it can feel like so much is going wrong. I personally can really struggle with feelings of inadequacy and yes, pride can be too much for me as well. I am not a control freak when it comes to myself and others, but with God I can be. I ask myself in a state of realization, “what the crap did I do that for?”. Not that it’s about the easy way out in life, but honestly, that is what God wants for us, right? To make things easier because of our reliance on Him…to me, ‘healthy relationship’ and ‘reliance’ are synonymous. I realize that my issue is in my self-expectancies of earning. So far from how God thinks, huh? This is a habitual thing for me and only God and my reliance on Him will take care of it. I expect too much from myself and have this sense that I need to prove myself, i think this shuts the door on grace. Anyways, my prayer needs to be “let go, erick. let go.” thanks for letting me ponder out loud, i’m feeling a little mashed up today.

8. Tyler says:

Lord, teach me what it means to rely on you…

9. Blogbarger says:

My prayers this year (so far) have gone something like this: “Yes, Lord. Yes, I agree. I know this is true. What do I do now? How…..?” Thanks for your honest post. I really appreciate your blog (which I am new to). I’ll be praying for your upcoming trip.

10. smileforjc says:

Lord, I want to be more like YOU.

11. Nina says:

Lord lead me

&

Lord teach me,

…change my mind & understanding.

12. becky says:

Please help me to want what YOU want.

13. ctaloyo says:

Where are You? (Help me see)

14. FF says:

Eugene,
    I’m not a Christian anymore – I think – but have been lurking on your blog for awhile now. It’s given me much to be hopeful about as I find the courage to one day return to faith.

Help my unbelief. I want to know you.

15. rexhamilton says:

Great post Eugene! Your transparency is a light…

My prayer lately has been simple. “Please show me what you’re doing today, Jesus.”

16. eugenecho says:

@everyone. thanks everyone for sharing and look forward to hearing from others.

@smileforjc: good to hear from you. look forward to crossing paths in asia soon.

@erick: wow. thanks for sharing that.

17. Wayne Park says:

P.E., come to think of it, u sounded tired on the phone the other day – more tired than us and we’ve been rocked pretty hard lately. But things are going to take an upturn this summer. Everything will be ok…

18. Betty says:

For the past few years mine has sounded something like, “Free me from fear, fill me with love.”

19. brandonsneed says:

Jesus save me.

Sounds Sunday-school-ish but seriously … my biggest problems the past few years of college have been the polar opposite to what yours are. Self reliance and overconfidence? I wish. Self doubt and overanxious-ness? Yeah … been a good learning trip though.

More details on that on my blog.

20. Leah says:

honestly, when i get so exhausted from trying to do too much, and don’t think i can keep up with it all, when i feel like i’m failing or falling, when i feel afraid or alone and just don’t know what i should be doing with my life, i pray the same prayer:

“jesus”

not very fancy, but that’s it.

21. jim says:

Break Me and Recreate Me!

22. P.V.Sankar says:

My prayer will be “LET THY WILL BE DONE”

23. georgesong says:

“the joy of the Lord is my strength…”

24. Chad says:

“Lord, help me and teach me.”

25. Rebecca says:

“In Your Presence is fullness of Joy”

26. gaius says:

help me to be all that You’ve created me to be

27. foster says:

i need you

28. Melissa says:

I pray first for wisdom, then for courage. The first is useless without the second.

29. queltica says:

i guess it’s a prayer:

um, hello? are you real?

30. Katherine says:

Mine: “Lord, help!”

My sister’s (for over a year): “God, I need a job”

31. Linda says:

I’m with Theresa and PVSanker… Thy will be done

32. w says:

Lord, be gentle with me because I am so weak.

or

Let not my need for or lack of your perfect understanding/wisdom, keep me from moving.

33. slim1 says:

less of me, more of You

34. Meghan Burt says:

“Help me to trust that those who mourn will be comforted…”

35. Rachael says:

lately, my word has been “let”. it covers my life as a child of God quite well, especially as i continue to begin to understand submission (there’s that nasty word again, PE!), grace, forgiveness and peace.

36. dreamxchaser says:

lord, help me make it home ok. ( thats what i say every night now. )

37. […] rest for the soul There are some significant transitions going on with me and my family.  They speak the language of both excitement and anxiety to my soul.   For folks that know me well, they know that when things get tough or busy, I just put my head down, wear my heart on my sleeve and roll up those sleeves, and just pound away – no matter how heavy the strongwind..  And more often than not, things move and get done but as I’ve shared before, I can fall into the temptation of self reliance. […]

41 years ago today, our family immigrated to the United States from Seoul, South Korea. I was six years old; the youngest of three sons. My father, when he was also six, fled from what is now known as North Korea. Just recently, he shared with me that he and some of his family had been in a refugee camp when war and violence broke out on the Korean peninsula. It's emotional thinking about what my brothers and I went through coming to a completely foreign country. It wasn't easy. And then, I think about what my parents had to go through:

They fled their homes near Pyongyang which also meant leaving some of their extended families.

They experienced unfathomable hunger and poverty.

They experienced the pain of war.

They immigrated again to the United States as adults with minimal resources and a handful of English words.

All in hopes that their children would have the opportunities that were never afforded to them.

I'm thinking of my brothers today. I'm thinking of my parents and honoring them for their sacrifice and tenacity. And finally, I'm thinking of refugees and immigrants all around the world that are yearning for family, peace, hope, and opportunities. Don't reduce Martin Luther King Jr. to a yearly quote on social media. Live out the dream. Seek first the Kingdom of God. Confront evil. Be a truth-teller. Seek justice. Love mercy. Pursue reconciliation. Build bridges. Love your neighbors. Forgive your enemies. Pray unceasingly. Live a committed life of peace, love, and justice.

The God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today.

Be brave. "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Here's the full context of his famous quote: "The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate. Only love can do that." An important word for the Church... Oh, how God loves the nations. The Scriptures make this so clear. No one - let alone, the leader of a country - should ever disparage other nations with such a disgusting comment.

To the beautiful people of Haiti, El Salvador, and of the many countries of Africa: We are so sorry. Please accept our apologies on behalf of President Trump.

I've had the privilege of being in Haiti twice and numerous countries in Africa including Kenya where I took this picture during an afternoon drive near Kijabe. In many of these visits, I witnessed such creativity, courage, leadership, hospitality and kindness. To follow Jesus without obedience, repentance, self-denial, and dying to self is an oxymoron. In other words, are we more in love with the idea of following Jesus than actually following Jesus?

Grateful for an incredible Sunday at @seattlequest of beginning our 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting.