an unexpected tumor

Update 10/30:  Received word last night that the surgery was completed and the tumor removed.  Craig is recovering.  However, there’s possibility of some very difficult news. Unfortunately, what was initially diagnosed as a benign tumor is likely cancerous – 80% probability according to the pathologist.  The complete diagnosis and pathology report will be released in 3 days.

I have chosen to move the updates on Craig’s situation to the Quest Church community blog.  Because this blog receives its fair share of visitors and subscribers from all over, I prefer not to take the focus away from surrounding Craig and Betty with care and prayer.  Some comments were posted re: the authenticity or reality of prayer [and God] and while I’m a supporter of open dialogue, I’d rather not use this occassion or blog entry to pursue that.  Instead, I’d prefer to direct people to this blog entry, Does Your Prayer Work, which was written by one of the commenters on his blog, I believe, in response to this blog entry.  Feel free to engage there and be nice blokes.

And yes, I still invite you to join us in prayer for Craig and Betty.

****************************************************

I heard some not so good news about a congregant at church yesterday.  After hearing the news after the 2nd service, I called and went to visit Craig and Betty at their home to pray with them.

Craig is only in his 30s and a wonderful guy.  In the past couple weeks, Craig was experiencing some discomfort, dizziness, headaches, and general illness.  I actually remember chatting with Betty about it couple Sundays ago – it wasn’t that big of a deal.

After couple visits to the doctors, Craig went once more just this past Friday for an MRI for some clarity to his illness.  And on Friday, he was told the reason why he was feeling so much discomfort and it was the absolute last thing he could have imagined.  He was told that there was a tumor in his brain and that he needed to consult a neurosurgeon ASAP.  And just like that, he is scheduled for surgery to remove that tumor in his brain this morning [Monday].

Such is life.  Unexpected events take place.  How will we respond?

Even under difficult circumstances, I enjoyed visiting and praying with Craig, Betty, and their children today.   Please join me in praying for them as Craig has surgery today.

Filed under: prayer, religion

1. hughstan says:

Have prayed for Craig, that the beauty of Christ will be real to him during this ordeal.

2. Owen McLeod says:

Didn’t you learn the first time you prayed?
    It didn’t work. He has a tumor.
    But yeah, keep praying. It’s only logical. *cough*

3. Esther says:

I had a benign tumor in my womb. I received prayer and it was still there. The doc asked me to come for the next possible date for surgery. However, just before, I went to a prayer meeting, where people prayed again. The next morning the doc examined me and he could not understand it: The tumor was gone! I told him that this is due to prayer. He said that he does not understand it but the real fact is: the tumor is GONE! Not logical, but real!

4. Kim Aliczi says:

Owen – what a mean thing to say! 😦
    Mean people truly do suck. Whether you believe in prayer or not, geez – what an awful thing to say and what a sad, sad way to live, kicking people when they’re down. Unbelievable!

5. Keren says:

yeah, i don’t know owen and wouldn’t have said what he said, but i understand that he probably just hasn’t experienced the power of prayer yet. although, prayers haven’t always been answered in the way that i want them too, i find that prayer just changes me and am so surprised sometimes. so, yes, let’s keep praying!

6. e cho says:

owen: yes, he has a tumor. and he’s in great spirits and surrounded by family, friends, and community that are praying for him and his family and the surgery.

yes, we’ll keep praying and take care of that cough.

7. Father God, i pray that your Kingdom come to Craig’s life, that you are with him during the surgery and that your healing hand conforts him while he recuperates. In the name of your beloved Son Jesus Christ, amen.

8. Beth says:

Owen:
    discursive reason (“logic”) is necessary but not sufficient for the full flourishing of our intellect–indeed, of our humanity. It is the lie of modernism to think that it is sufficient; and the lie of postmodernism to think that it is not necessary.

So even as I pray for Craig, I pray that the Lord might use him to make this tangible for you, and thus show you something of who we can be in Christ.

Eugene:

May the Lord use you to offer His head, heart and hands to both Craig and Owen.

9. Owen McLeod says:

My statement still stands.
    The responses offered to my comment were no more than a display of the habitual ‘safety in numbers’.
    You may keep praying, I obviously can’t stop you.
    Although, while you’re praying on Sundays for health, charities, and all those other unfortunate things, there will be doctors and other people who are actually making a difference.
    I did find interesting the post by Keren:
    “although, prayers haven’t always been answered in the way that i want them too, i find that prayer just changes me and am so surprised sometimes. so, yes, let’s keep praying!”
    This is correct. While prayer doesn’t really offer you the response you want, it will make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. So I guess that prayer does have a use.
    Just like meditation.

10. e cho says:

owen: you bring up good questions. it’s good to think critically.

people are simply questioning your tact in addressing them as the person i bring up on this post is in brain surgery right now. that’s it. you get it?

you have the freedom to have your beliefs and enjoy your life in australia.
    it’s a good discussion so let’s discuss it on your blog where you’ve brought up the topic:

11. billwp says:

As I write (having just now read the above), it is late Monday evening. I don’t know if your friend survived the operation or not.

It is too late to ask that his surgeons be granted insight, skill and focus. I can’t pray for a speedy recovery. I can’t pray that those who mourn him be comforted. But I can pray that Jehovah’s will be done. This is the prayer Jesus offered when he was about to face his own brutal murder. I can pray that Jehovah strengthen those whose lives he has touched, as, no matter what the outcome of the surgery, they are under strain.

If your friend did not survive, I remind you of the hope of resurrection. If he did survive; I would remind him of the hope of resurrection … to put it before himself so that when the day comes where the sun rises but he does not, his rest will not be eternal but will be broken by a renewed call to life.

As Jesus said: “not my will, but thine”.

12. billwp says:

It has been my frequent experience that most of my prayers have been answered before I even prayed. That is, unbeknown to me, the answers were already in progress before I made my concerns known in prayer.

That is analogous to the experience Daniel reported when the angel informed Daniel that he would have been there sooner but he had been delayed by conflict until he had gotten help on the battlefield. (Daniel 10:12-14)

There are all sorts of explanations for that. Social scientists have had a field day on that topic for centuries.

Yet, faced with problems I could not solve, I have asked for divine assistance and watched as superlative answers have unfolded without any further direct assistance from me.

13. Esther says:

I apologize. Sharing about God’s healing in my case sounded insensitive in the face of a surgery for brain tumor. My intention was to instill HOPE and the FOCUS that yes, God DOES answer prayer. Prayer matters, even though God often may choose a DIFFERENT way of responding to our prayers. My prayers have been with Craig and his family. I do not know them personally, but Got has stirred my heart deeply. I know from experience how much we need each other in painful and difficult times. Please let us know how Betty is holding up.

14. e cho says:

hey folks:
    updated the situation with craig. he’s out of surgery but still needs our thoughts, cares, and prayers. i’ll be updating @ http://seattlequest.wordpress.com/2007/10/30/prayer-for-craig/ from here on out.

you can go to owen’s blog to continue a good dialogue,

ESTHER: absolutely no need to apologize. thanks for sharing your testimony.

15. […] 11.22..26 and the question if prayer works or not. Incidentally a similar discussion takes place at Seattle Quest. This Sunday we’ll hash through these troublesome sayings of Jesus and try to figure out what […]

16. […] down and hopeless” Couple weeks ago, I posted a request for prayer for one of my congregants named Craig.  I recall dropping by his home to pray for him and his wife, […]

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 2 days ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 5 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 5 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 5 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 1 week ago