caring for the environment

It’s sweltering hot here in Seattle this week.  It’s also hot in many places.  How did Al Gore manipulate the weather to get more support for his cause behind Inconvenient Truth?

When I became a Christian at 18, I never heard anything about the moral dilemma of environmentalism until seminary.  I still wrestle with how to more organically speak of environmentalism and care of God’s creation within the context of a larger framework of ministry.  I’m constantly challenged by individuals at Quest that not only talk the talk but walk the walk.  Individuals that bike regularly to work, go hybrid and biodiesel, compost galore, and even taking steps to utilize solar energy.  Very cool.  I have much to learn.  I’ve always felt like I’ve done my part and even converted my wife who is becoming the recycling Nazi.  She recycles everything…

This leads me to some thoughts about the Live Earth concerts from last weekend.  Anybody watch? I’ve been going through various checklists to see what more I can do to take a step closer to becoming a more responsible steward.  I want to do my part and encourage others to do the same.  Not because I’m a Christian but because I’m human.  This is my home. Created by my God who gave the world unto His creation to enjoy and care for.  But every time I see these kinds of “benefits” led by musicians or Hollywood stars, I just can’t get into it.  Live Aid, World Aid, Band Aid, Green Aid, Live Earth, and on and on.  It’s an incredible concept and event.  But honestly, it sometimes turns me away.  Why?  Because I’m a recovering cynic and can be quasi-judgmental…

I wonder both quietly and now loudly:  Do these folks really care? Do they really love the poor?  Do they really love the oppressed?  Do they really walk the walk?”  Do they really believe?  Really sacrifice?  Really give?

“Do I care?”

Filed under: culture, justice

1. J. P. says:

Jack Johnson had “climatecounts.org” on his guitar…

2. Tracy says:

I am mad Beyonce didn’t perform. She is one this young pop generation’s best perfomer.

3. Tracy says:

O back on subject, I am of the opinion that only a certain percentage really go to charities/foundations for the poor.

4. David says:

Your post is asking similar questions that I was asking in this post:

Thanks!

5. Blake says:

I believe that Jack Johns cares, but not many of the others. Besides, it’s those ocean waves that got Jack his start in surf video filming.

6. Matt K says:

The cynic in me deffinately scoffs at the Live Earth concert. The biggest reason is that Jet Engines are some of the worst offendors when it comes to Greenhouse gasses, but most of these superstars use private jets like we use cars–spewing CO2 into the atmosphere at exponential rates. Walk the walk people.

Plus, I’ve seen too many episodes of MTV’s Cribs to know that most of these people’s fortunes are going towards extravagant vanities. Preach to me about poverty in Africa? You get paid millions to play make believe in front of the camera or do glorified karaoke!

7. Russ says:

E,

I love the earth but I am not believing the whole “global warming” theory that Al and his climatologist buddies have been pushing on us. It is funny when you try to get information on global warming on the internet everything is slanted towards Al Gore and his cronies. I heard one report that humans causes rank in at #8 and the volcanoes are #1. Who knows who is right and who is wrong? I guess the one thing I can hang onto is God is in charge and He gave us a planet that we need to be good stewards of. I do think that as Christians we have a duty to protect nature but not above that of human life, i.e: save the spotted owl instead of banning the wholesale slaughter of millions of innocent babies by the abortionists vacuum because we do not want to upset the delicate balance of a womans right to choose. I bike to work, recycle, use a old fashioned push mower, and try not to feed my 120 dog to much methane producing food but there has to be a point when we say, “Give me a break!”

In HIS Grip,

Russ

8. Rex Hamilton says:

I too watched and enjoyed the concerts, but as far as being moved to change the world these things don’t do it for me. I recently went online to find many articles about Al Gore’s multiple homes and his 30k electricity bill…when I see the way people almost deify him and the way he burned electricity and natural gas last year, it makes me see all the more that climate crisis is much more a God thing than a Gore thing. The church worldwide needs to get involved in having a voice in this!

9. e cho says:

I think this is why I’m drawn to visible figures that really do demonstrate their commitment – whatever the cause may be.

I like these events. I like the intent behind them but here’s an idea: I’d love to see each act/musicians/band/actor that show up at these things to donate x amount of money to visibly show their commitment as well.

Rex #8: Personally, I’m not really bothered by Al Gore’s multiple homes and wealth. Although the 30K electricity bill seems odd to me. In the landscape of the larger picture, maybe his multiple homes are a small fraction. I want to know what he does with the rest of his wealth.

For example, let me briefly talk about Bill Gates. People raise issues with his 50-60 million dollar home. Is that a lot of money? Absolutely… But it’s not that big of deal for me because of what he does with the rest of his funds. I feel like he’s demonstrating generous and sacrificial stewardship. That’s my two cents…

10. Ingrid says:

Hi. I’m a friend of Chad’s from seminary. Here’s a pre-Inconvenient-Truth (at least, I hadn’t seen it yet when I wrote this) synopsis of global warming and suggestions for creation stewardship habits from a Christian with a B.A. in Ecology, currently getting a double master’s in Theology and Non-Profit Management. http://www.xanga.com/ingrado/499603238/global-warming-101.html

Also, if you’re interested in some theology behind why earth care is an ethical mandate for Christians, check out the Covenant Church’s new resolution co-written by me and several other members of the Young Pietists, a Covenant organization of next-generation leaders passionate about social justice. http://www.covchurch.org/cov/news/item5659

As far as Live Earth and the rest, it’s nice if they get some awareness for issues, but I don’t put any hope in them. Celebrity hype can’t move ethical concerns from sentiment to substance or effect the character formation necessary to make inconvenient, let alone sacrificial, changes in one’s behavior. Unfortunately neither can the (Western) church most of the time because of widespread ignorance, arrogance, and apathy when it comes to the environment and other social justice issues, combined with pathological individualism, self-serving tendencies, and obsession with “eternal life insurance” to the detriment of loving one’s neighbor and doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with one’s God.

For me, creation care is not a matter of “saving the earth”—Christ has done that already, and we know that things will get worse before the new heavens and new earth and the resurrection of our bodies. Instead, it is a matter of integrity of witness. If we really believe that God created the earth and called it good, and that not even one atom of it is ours to possess but is on loan and the inheritance of our children, what right do we have to trash the place and leave it unlivable for any of God’s creatures, human or otherwise?

P.S. (This is directed at a comment above and at global warming skeptics in general, not to the author of the original post.) When considering what news and “information” sources to trust, consider what motives someone might have to be lying to you, and never underestimate the human capacity for denial.

11. Blake says:

Matt K #6: (being silly) Maybe they’re flying back and forth on super-secret stealth 787s that no one else knows were built since the supposed first one was only just assembled on Sunday? Those celebrities have some pretty gnarly connections, I wouldn’t put it past them. If that were the case then they’d be burning only half as much gas per passenger (assuming they can fill a plane with their groupies) as my 4Runner. 😉 😉

I don’t know about you, but I for one, welcome our new horrendously-non-eco-friendly celebrity overlords.

12. Warren says:

I think it’s hard, but you can see who really cares… like it’s easy to see that U2 cares. But for the people who play the music but don’t speak out against injustice and promote awareness… just because they are playing doesn’t mean that much. They get exposure, they get to play a huge stage and perhaps feed an ego, they get to be a part of a big trendy thing… Jesus says that we will get our reward when we just try to appear holy on the outside.

13. Shaula says:

Well, the concert achieved its goal. It raised awareness and got people to start talking about the environment. A good show too. 🙂

14. e cho says:

shaula: that’s certainly true. it did raise awareness and here we are talking about the environment.

15. RVeerman says:

None of us are perfect, but I think it’s good that people make an effort from where they’re at. I’m glad that people of influencial positions are making an effort to raise awareness. Sometimes, that’s the only way some people even consider certain issues.

We can only do our best, I mean an honest best with self-integrity. Plenty of issues and movements are out there to care about. I think it’s okay for some people to focus on certain areas of interest. We’re all part of a body; some of us are called to focus more on one area. It’s alright.

Personally, my family tries to eat organic and locally grown produce. We also drive a Hybrid. My kids also understand why, and they understand the effects of processed food in our body. Still, for the most part, they are still given the choice to eat what they choose.

Food and environment effect the whole person. I think as Christians we cannot ignore these aspects when addressing one another. Remember lead paint in old buildings? And how this effected the poorest urban population in NY. Officials knowingly ignored this fact, until a courageous writer relentlessly wrote about it in the papers.

Environmental issues may not seem justice related, but I deeply believe that it is. Human depravity does not only touch upon our spirit, but also our mind and body. The body, mind and spirit are so intertwined.

16. Dennis says:

Honestly, I’m wondering why people just didn’t turn off their TV’s to join the cause?!?

A more grassroots idea would be to dedicate one day to a) no or minimal driving, and b) no electricity post 6pm except candle usage.

17. kd nyquist says:

Although I didn’t watch the Live Earth deal, it sounded rather belated to me. Really – is there still a significant number of people who haven’t heard of global warming by now? Even Murdoch of News Corp has decreed that his networks shift their POV as if warming is a threat, not a perhaps-it-is-or-isn’t issue. What is needed now to make a difference is not a one-time surge in volume but a persistent, enduring appeal to rhetoric and logic.

Speaking of the social justice/moral dilemma of environmental issues: the Bible, especially Paul if my armchair-theology is correct, sees death as new life. That we are seeds not yet sprouted into our spiritual body, that we are children yet unborn. Imagine hearing about a healthy fetus developing in an unhealthy womb – toxins, disease, structural damage, you name it. Would you fear for that fetus, months or weeks away from infancy but finishing development in subpar conditions? That’s how I feel for our environment (the word comes from the french environ, which is literally surroundings). I consider the earth’s health to be a direct factor in the welfare of humanity, however it is the not the former but the latter which is my chief concern.

18. Howdy I discovered this post by mistake, I was browsing Google for goji berries when I came upon your webpage, I must say your webpage is very interesting I truely think the content, its amazing! I’m in a bit of a rush in this instance to completely br

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Boom. Final fishing trip. Grateful. A nice way to end my 3 month sabbatical. #catchandrelease twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 1 day ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 1 day ago
  • Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 4 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 4 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 6 days ago