I am a pastor and I am fashionable. Don’t hate me because I’m a fashionable pastor.

Have you heard of Pastor Fashion?

Yes, this is real. For realz. Fo shizzle.

Granted, at first view, I didn’t think it was real but some smart satire or at least  some sort of bad church version of Punked. And then you realize it’s real and then, you don’t know if you should laugh or cry or repent or pray or go shopping or all of the above.

But maybe you are.

What do you think?

Here’s the vision of Pastor Fashion:

Pastors aren’t typically known for their fashion. Most people don’t think of the runway leading up to the pulpit. But why not?! Why can’t the men and women of God set the standard for the rest of the world in fashion as well as faith? That’s why we’re launching PastorFashion.com. We want to set the trends.

Check back with us regularly, as we’ll be posting things like what not to wear, fashion tips, the latest trends and so much more!

We’re not trying to be like the world…we just want to be fashionable while we try to change it! Have fashion tips, things you’ve seen done (whether right or wrong)? This is the place we’ll keep the conversation going and the trends growing!

I have couple things to say:

1. Pastors like everyone else have a level of vanity. You might not think that I do based on the same jeans I wear for about 30 straight days but I do. I admit that I can be vain.

But the truth is we’re all vain. We might not have our own website but we are vain. Look in the mirror and tell me you’re not vain.

Only two people weren’t vain in my opinion: Jesus and John the Baptizer.

Jesus was perfect so that’s just not a fair example so John the Baptizer gets the winner for most humble and least vain. The dude practically wore nothing and ate bugs. Ding Ding: We have a winner.

2. We’re not always called to be trendy or trendsetters.

Sometimes, we can try so hard to be so relevant that we become completely irrelevant.

Makes sense?

3. Lastly, I think I need intervention. I need fashion help. Maybe I can get PastorFashion to fly me out to Texas and do me a makeover.

Here’s proof:

My attempt for Asian Jesus or Asian John the Baptizer. Seriously, this is what my natural hair looks like in humidity when I don’t control it with gel.

This was Wednesday. Of this week. Holey am I.

I like this look personally. Darth Vadar for a cause.

My worst fashion faux pas. At an incredibly important and high-profile speaking engagement, the TEDxSeattle, I came out and did most of my 18 minute chat with my jacket buttoned up the wrong way. I had no idea. I thought folks were laughing because I was so compelling. And my wife was in the audience and she was the most embarrassed. Sorry honey!

Yup, I really embarrass my kid someday but doing superhero work is not easy.

I could include another picture of me preaching at a conference with my zipper down but I do have some pride and dignity.😉

Filed under: , ,

1. Terry Lu says:

At the end of the day, I think EACH of us need to be on our knees and ask truly how Jesus would handle EACH and EVERY situation we encounter daily. It’s so easy for us to veer off and do “our thing” rather than truly follow and learn from Christ daily. You gotta ask, would Jesus do a silly Pastor Fashion show/ sermon or whatever you want to call this… I would guess not. He would be much more concerned with the people outside of the church building doors, than how to tie a silly tie.

2. @pennyhunter says:

I’m sorry, I am laughing so hard at the moment. It is hard to take this seriously — and honestly, Eugene, thanks for letting me laugh at your pics. Especially the last one at Ted – you look so sincere! I’m grateful your fashion statement is not even on your top ten priority list. Nothing wrong with wanting to clean up nicely – but so glad you haven’t spent your morning worrying about what you’ll wear and how you’ll wear it. I also don’t have a problem with people who like fashion – any more than I have a problem with people who like art, film, food, etc.

But, it becomes a matter of focus – thanks for keeping it where it should be. And, a note …for the college kids I have coming through my house, John the Baptizer would be viewed as a Chipster ( a Christian Hipster) deliberately going for the “who cares” look and eating from the earth.

And, let me know if we should get you a gift card to buy some new clothes — just for your wife’s sake.

Peace and love to one of my favorite pastors.

3. Jennifer says:

So glad you treated this with the laugh it deserves… So many are taking this entirely too seriously and accusing him of all sorts of things. We need to quit attacking each other over every dang thing.

4. Julia says:

poor Minhee :p

5. Hilarious! If it makes you feel any better, I think you are fashionable. You’re fashionable because you’re relevance is real, not manufactured.

6. Lori says:

Funny stuff. I had a pastor once who told the story of the time he awoke on a Sunday morning before dawn (as he always did) and dressed in the dark so as not to wake his wife. He went down to the church for some quiet prayer time. When the service started, he got up boldly and preached up a storm on a very important topic. He was so serious and emphatic. The congregation all seemed so preoccupied and just not taking his message seriously. After the service his wife rushed up to him and whispered in his ear “Honey, you’re wearing my blouse.” No kidding.

• Eugene Cho says:

Lori,

Wow. I can’t stop laughing.

You get the prize for the funniest comment ever on my blog. I just wish I had a prize to give away.

Thanks for the great laugh.

7. Stephen says:

Ok, I do have some serious thoughts on this thought and I did read what Jennifer Wells said – I don’t want to attack the guy but this really does upset me. The church I left (at which Young was a frequent guest speaker) was very vain and the pastors had to ‘look’ a certain way. Even the worship team. Now, there’s nothing wrong with being fashionable, or having an interest in fashion to the point where you blog about it but when it becomes a part of your gospel and you begin to put a moral value on it, that’s where I draw the line. This is nothing more than prosperity gospel.

I really don’t think pastors should be wearing custom-made clothes that cost thousands of dollars. How much of that excess money could have gone to help someone in need? I’m all for being trendy but not when you begin to lose relatability (yes I made that up) to the every day man or woman. I’m not sure if I put this as eloquently as I’d like but this really DOES irk me!

8. Fantastic. Especially the swim goggles. But pastor fashion is a piss-take. Got to be. So funny.

9. Debbie says:

Yikes. I really hoped this was satirical but coming from Texas….Sigh. Thanks for the laugh but I have to agree with Stephen’s points. Thinking of Matthew 6 here. Thanks Eugene for your authenticity. One of things I appreciate about you.

10. Tato says:

I wonder what pastorfashion says about flip flops…

11. carlaxelfranzon says:

There are no words …

12. George says:

“Fashion blasphemy”… classic.

13. Jim S. says:

Aloha Bro…WOW!!! Didn’t know whether to laugh with you or cry for Minhee and our wives whose work will never be done. Maybe you should go from buttons to a zipper sports jacket. Pomaika’i.

14. Don J. says:

I thought you were spoofing, until I went to the web site…yikes!

15. Yena says:

Thanks for a good laugh~ I haven’t seen the show, but hey, I’m all for looking good while doing good…as long as you are being true to yourself, not to “look good” and even “do good” for the sake of looking good to others (figuratively)…

16. Nathan says:

That is at a WOL (whole other level)(or is it HNL hole [a]’nother level).

17. Rodney says:

“Hey everyone I’m Eugene Cho, look how much better of a pastor I am than this guy… Seriously, I know this doesn’t help anyone in anyway but I thought everyone should know how pathetic Ed Young is. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest, so I can feel better about myself…”

18. Dave Harrold says:

First we have the guy who claims to speak for Christ and wants to kill all gay people.

Then we have the guy who claims to speak for Christ and is very concerned about how we tie a tie.

Wow, no wonder non believers think we are messed up. Pretty discouraging.

19. Gerald Coleman says:

hmmm right about now I’m thinking “oohhhh maybe that’s the logic behind vestments”.

20. matt says:

“Honestly, I’m not trying to be a hater. The creator of Pastor Fashion, Pastor Ed Young, seems to be a great guy and a fabulous leader but I’m just not feeling it.”

Hip churches and their even-hipper pastors call everyone who doesn’t agree with them, “haters”. It’s a bogus term and Ed Young has used this ad hominem of calling those who disagree with him, haters. He’s a dreadfully-bad leader. But since you like him maybe you can ask him to take you for a ride in his $10 million plane. Or maybe he can loan you a little of his botox.

He’s a seeker-driven pastor (much like you). We’re called to go and make disciples, teaching them the full counsel of God
    not to turn the service into entertainment time for pagans and giving them relevant life tips to help them meet their felt needs.

21. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article.
    I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of
    your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.

Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it. I don't care if it sounds mushy but sunsets are one of my love languages. Seoul, Korea was amazing but WOW...what a breathtaking welcome back sunset by Seattle. Not ready to let go of summer. Seattle. 7:00pm. Desperately holding on to summer. #goldengardenpark #nofilter Happy Birthday, Minhee! I'm so grateful for you. You radiate faith, hope, and love.  No...you don't complete me. That would be silly and simply humanly impossible but you keep pointing me and our family to Christ who informs and transforms our lives, marriage, family, and ministry. Thanks for being so faithful. I love you so much. (* And what a gift to be in Korea together.)