Get outside. Be creative. Dream. Create something. The story of 9-year-old Caine Monroy and Caine’s Arcade.

Dear friends, readers, strangers, and blog stalkers: I try to be careful with overly extreme outrageous over-the-top superlatives but the story of Caine’s Arcade and its 9-year-old founder, Caine, might be one of the greatest things I’ve ever read or seen.

This story of not judging a book by its cover was cool, too, but wow…this is amazing. No joke.

First, do yourself a HUGE favor and watch the video. I guarantee it’ll be worth your 11 minutes or I will pay you $2 for your very own “Fun Pass” (this will make sense later). Money back guarantee.

Who is Caine and what is Caine’s Arcade?

Caine Monroy is a 9-year old boy who spent his summer vacation building an elaborate DIY cardboard arcade in his dad’s used auto parts store.

Caine dreamed of the day he would have lots of customers visit his arcade, and he spent months preparing everything, perfecting the game design, making displays for the prizes, designing elaborate security systems, and hand labeling paper-lunch-gift-bags. However, his dad’s autoparts store (located in an industrial part of East LA) gets almost zero foot traffic, so Caine’s chances of getting a customer were very small, and the few walk in customers that came through were always in too much of a hurry to get their auto part to play Caine’s Arcade. But Caine never gave up.

One day, by chance, I walked into Smart Parts Auto looking for a used door handle for my ’96 Corolla. What I found was an elaborate handmade cardboard arcade manned by a young boy who asked if I would like to play. I asked Caine how it worked and he told me that for $1 I could get two turns, or for $2 I could get a Fun Pass with 500 turns. I got the Fun Pass. (via Caine’s Arcade)

Here are my 10 random thoughts:

1. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome.
  2. I love Caine’s smile.
  3. I love his father. Our kids need fathers and mothers. Parents and parent figures that encourage, edify, empower, and build up.
  4. The arcade truly is ingenious. Brilliant. Incredible. So smart. So detailed.
  5. I would totally go and play at his arcade. And of course, I’d get the “Fun Pass.”
  6. Forget Instagram. This guy is going to do some something crazy someday.
  7. I love the storytelling. Props. And I love that there’s a college fund started for Caine. On the 1st day that this video was released and a college fund set up, they raised $25,000
  8. Regarding #7, I gave a few bucks towards his college fund. I feel like it’ll one of the best investments I make.
  9. I want to show this to every single child and teenager (and for that matter: even grown ups) who are spending way too many hours on the internet, watching  youtube, LOL catz, watching television, and glued to their gadgets.
  10. Get out people. Be creative. Be entrepreneurial! The world is our playground…and it comes with cardboard boxes

Pursue your dreams and passions! Do it and I’ll invest $2 towards your idea!

I’m serious. I’ll send you $2 to be your first investor.

Your thoughts?

Filed under: , , , ,

1. Austin Gilly says:

This is incredible. I love the creativity, and I think that what makes Cain so special is that his dad encourages him. To me that shows the importance of fatherhood.

2. Thanks for sharing this, Eugene.

It’s inspirational that Caine believed so much in this arcade that he put so much work, detail, and belief into it. Secondly it’s incredible to me that Nirvan took the time to notice, encourage, and ‘see’ the kid – then he took the time to come back use his ‘fun pass’, then he took the time to expose Caine to the goodness that is so often hard to find in this world. This event, this simple event, has quite possibly changed the trajectory of Caine’s life. Incredibly inspiring.

3. jbledsoejr says:

Wow! Great story! We are a homeschool family and we continually look forward to our kids doing creative, crazy things similar to Caine and his arcade. We encourage them to use their imagination and skills to create solutions to problems…no matter the obstacle.

• Eugene Cho says:

Share some of your ideas with us! Always looking for ways to engage our kids beyond technology…

• jbledsoejr says:

I will…one thing we’ve done the past couple years is our kids have run a Lemonade Stand in conjunction with the annual Lemonade Day program, and they selected a nonprofit org to share their Lemonade sale profits with. We’ll be doing that again this year, but we plan to help our kids come up with a way(s) to extend the support for their selected cause throughout the year past the Lemonade Day event.

Once we come up with a plan we’ll be sharing.

4. Bobby Minor says:

Dude I love it! I’m actually in the middle of writing a blog post titled “Ignorance is Bliss” and I’m talking about how sometimes it’s better not to know all of the reasons something won’t work, and then I stumble across this post and am blown away by Caine’s story. I thank God his father didn’t give him all of the reasons not to do it and not only allowed him to, but actually encouraged him. I am inspired!

5. […] Get outside. Be creative. Dream. Create something. The story of 9-year-old Caine Monroy and Caine&#8… (eugenecho.com) […]

6. jendodgson says:

Reblogged this on Young Writers @ The Loft and commented:
    Yes! Do it, create something of your own: A novel, an amusement park, a go-cart, a dog house, a water park…………and since this is a literary blog, not number 7 especially. Story telling somes from experiencing life, creating things, meeting people, living OUT LOUD! If you want to be a writer, DO. Your life is the starting point for imaginative work!

7. Tanya says:

This is great. I’m impressed not just with the boy but his dad. I don’t know many parents who would let their child set up card board boxes in front of their business and not discourage them.

8. Oliver says:

U-Jeen,

+1 on his smile. Infectious!
    +1 on the storytelling. Well-crafted in so many respects. 🙂
    +1 on kicking in a few bucks; I just couldn’t help myself.

I believe this little video was God’s gift to me on so many levels.

I sometimes rathole on all the ways people show me how they suck. But when all the people at his arcade are lined up and cheering and holding signs, I feel like I catch the tiniest glimpse how we’re made in His image.

I genuinely feel inspired! It goes without saying inspired by Caine and amazing outlook and perseverance and creativity. But also by the filmmaker. How rad that he’s using his talent in this way!

9. Deb says:

I saw the video this morning and have been thinking about it and sharing it with friends all day! I’m actually going to LA in a couple weeks, and yes, I plan to buy a fun pass!

10. […] also inspired Pastor Eugene Cho to offer $2 to anyone ready to pursue their […]

11. Diane says:

This is sooo awesome. What a creative young man!!!

12. JB says:

Fantastic! Almost brought on some tears.

13. Boon says:

Thanks for sharing this. This is an awesome video showing that people can make things happen. If they put the effort, things will get noticed. God notices everything.

14. […] Get outside. Be creative. Dream. Create something. The story of 9-year-old Caine Monroy and Caine&#8… (eugenecho.com) Share this:ShareEmailFacebookRedditStumbleUponTwitterLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. ▶ No Responses /* 0) { jQuery('#comments').show('', change_location()); jQuery('#showcomments a .closed').css('display', 'none'); jQuery('#showcomments a .open').css('display', 'inline'); return true; } else { jQuery('#comments').hide(''); jQuery('#showcomments a .closed').css('display', 'inline'); jQuery('#showcomments a .open').css('display', 'none'); return false; } } jQuery('#showcomments a').click(function(){ if(jQuery('#comments').css('display') == 'none') { self.location.href = '#comments'; check_location(); } else { check_location('hide'); } }); function change_location() { self.location.href = '#comments'; } }); /* ]]> */ […]

15. Cindy says:

his smile is too much!!

16. Phyllis Vermilyea says:

I fell in love with this little boy and how much he is like my grandson. I just hope and pray he never lets any of this go to his head and crowd out all the wonderful ideas planted there by a loving God. He is on my prayer list for my life. I wish I could really know him and his family.

17. Sam says:

I shouldn’t have watched this during my conference period at work. Now I have to think of excuses for why it looks like I have been crying. I am not sure why but this story moved me to tears. Gotta wash my face before my 5th graders come back from the gym. Can’t wait to show it to them. Thanks for sharing Caine’s story.

18. Anita says:

Wow…definitely tears…
    1. The love of the father for the son
    2. The optimism of Caine (not going to close early…ever)
    3. The child likeness of Nirvan
    And so much more that words cannot fully express!

19. Ph says:

In a world filled with greed, distrust and murder a little boy brings generosity of spirit, faith in his fellow man to come and joy beyond all telling. How is this possible……….a lesson for us all. Love to Caine and his family.

20. […] weeks ago, I shared the story of 9-year-old Caine Monroy of Caine’s Arcade. If you haven’t seen his story, please do yourself a favor and watch […]

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 2 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 5 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 6 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 6 days ago