Get outside. Be creative. Dream. Create something. The story of 9-year-old Caine Monroy and Caine’s Arcade.

Dear friends, readers, strangers, and blog stalkers: I try to be careful with overly extreme outrageous over-the-top superlatives but the story of Caine’s Arcade and its 9-year-old founder, Caine, might be one of the greatest things I’ve ever read or seen.

This story of not judging a book by its cover was cool, too, but wow…this is amazing. No joke.

First, do yourself a HUGE favor and watch the video. I guarantee it’ll be worth your 11 minutes or I will pay you $2 for your very own “Fun Pass” (this will make sense later). Money back guarantee.

Who is Caine and what is Caine’s Arcade?

Caine Monroy is a 9-year old boy who spent his summer vacation building an elaborate DIY cardboard arcade in his dad’s used auto parts store.

Caine dreamed of the day he would have lots of customers visit his arcade, and he spent months preparing everything, perfecting the game design, making displays for the prizes, designing elaborate security systems, and hand labeling paper-lunch-gift-bags. However, his dad’s autoparts store (located in an industrial part of East LA) gets almost zero foot traffic, so Caine’s chances of getting a customer were very small, and the few walk in customers that came through were always in too much of a hurry to get their auto part to play Caine’s Arcade. But Caine never gave up.

One day, by chance, I walked into Smart Parts Auto looking for a used door handle for my ’96 Corolla. What I found was an elaborate handmade cardboard arcade manned by a young boy who asked if I would like to play. I asked Caine how it worked and he told me that for $1 I could get two turns, or for $2 I could get a Fun Pass with 500 turns. I got the Fun Pass. (via Caine’s Arcade)

Here are my 10 random thoughts:

1. This is awesome. This is awesome. This is awesome.
  2. I love Caine’s smile.
  3. I love his father. Our kids need fathers and mothers. Parents and parent figures that encourage, edify, empower, and build up.
  4. The arcade truly is ingenious. Brilliant. Incredible. So smart. So detailed.
  5. I would totally go and play at his arcade. And of course, I’d get the “Fun Pass.”
  6. Forget Instagram. This guy is going to do some something crazy someday.
  7. I love the storytelling. Props. And I love that there’s a college fund started for Caine. On the 1st day that this video was released and a college fund set up, they raised $25,000
  8. Regarding #7, I gave a few bucks towards his college fund. I feel like it’ll one of the best investments I make.
  9. I want to show this to every single child and teenager (and for that matter: even grown ups) who are spending way too many hours on the internet, watching  youtube, LOL catz, watching television, and glued to their gadgets.
  10. Get out people. Be creative. Be entrepreneurial! The world is our playground…and it comes with cardboard boxes

Pursue your dreams and passions! Do it and I’ll invest $2 towards your idea!

I’m serious. I’ll send you $2 to be your first investor.

Your thoughts?

Filed under: , , , ,

1. Austin Gilly says:

This is incredible. I love the creativity, and I think that what makes Cain so special is that his dad encourages him. To me that shows the importance of fatherhood.

2. Thanks for sharing this, Eugene.

It’s inspirational that Caine believed so much in this arcade that he put so much work, detail, and belief into it. Secondly it’s incredible to me that Nirvan took the time to notice, encourage, and ‘see’ the kid – then he took the time to come back use his ‘fun pass’, then he took the time to expose Caine to the goodness that is so often hard to find in this world. This event, this simple event, has quite possibly changed the trajectory of Caine’s life. Incredibly inspiring.

3. jbledsoejr says:

Wow! Great story! We are a homeschool family and we continually look forward to our kids doing creative, crazy things similar to Caine and his arcade. We encourage them to use their imagination and skills to create solutions to problems…no matter the obstacle.

• Eugene Cho says:

Share some of your ideas with us! Always looking for ways to engage our kids beyond technology…

• jbledsoejr says:

I will…one thing we’ve done the past couple years is our kids have run a Lemonade Stand in conjunction with the annual Lemonade Day program, and they selected a nonprofit org to share their Lemonade sale profits with. We’ll be doing that again this year, but we plan to help our kids come up with a way(s) to extend the support for their selected cause throughout the year past the Lemonade Day event.

Once we come up with a plan we’ll be sharing.

4. Bobby Minor says:

Dude I love it! I’m actually in the middle of writing a blog post titled “Ignorance is Bliss” and I’m talking about how sometimes it’s better not to know all of the reasons something won’t work, and then I stumble across this post and am blown away by Caine’s story. I thank God his father didn’t give him all of the reasons not to do it and not only allowed him to, but actually encouraged him. I am inspired!

5. […] Get outside. Be creative. Dream. Create something. The story of 9-year-old Caine Monroy and Caine&#8… (eugenecho.com) […]

6. jendodgson says:

Reblogged this on Young Writers @ The Loft and commented:
    Yes! Do it, create something of your own: A novel, an amusement park, a go-cart, a dog house, a water park…………and since this is a literary blog, not number 7 especially. Story telling somes from experiencing life, creating things, meeting people, living OUT LOUD! If you want to be a writer, DO. Your life is the starting point for imaginative work!

7. Tanya says:

This is great. I’m impressed not just with the boy but his dad. I don’t know many parents who would let their child set up card board boxes in front of their business and not discourage them.

8. Oliver says:

U-Jeen,

+1 on his smile. Infectious!
    +1 on the storytelling. Well-crafted in so many respects. 🙂
    +1 on kicking in a few bucks; I just couldn’t help myself.

I believe this little video was God’s gift to me on so many levels.

I sometimes rathole on all the ways people show me how they suck. But when all the people at his arcade are lined up and cheering and holding signs, I feel like I catch the tiniest glimpse how we’re made in His image.

I genuinely feel inspired! It goes without saying inspired by Caine and amazing outlook and perseverance and creativity. But also by the filmmaker. How rad that he’s using his talent in this way!

9. Deb says:

I saw the video this morning and have been thinking about it and sharing it with friends all day! I’m actually going to LA in a couple weeks, and yes, I plan to buy a fun pass!

10. […] also inspired Pastor Eugene Cho to offer $2 to anyone ready to pursue their […]

11. Diane says:

This is sooo awesome. What a creative young man!!!

12. JB says:

Fantastic! Almost brought on some tears.

13. Boon says:

Thanks for sharing this. This is an awesome video showing that people can make things happen. If they put the effort, things will get noticed. God notices everything.

14. […] Get outside. Be creative. Dream. Create something. The story of 9-year-old Caine Monroy and Caine&#8… (eugenecho.com) Share this:ShareEmailFacebookRedditStumbleUponTwitterLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. ▶ No Responses /* 0) { jQuery('#comments').show('', change_location()); jQuery('#showcomments a .closed').css('display', 'none'); jQuery('#showcomments a .open').css('display', 'inline'); return true; } else { jQuery('#comments').hide(''); jQuery('#showcomments a .closed').css('display', 'inline'); jQuery('#showcomments a .open').css('display', 'none'); return false; } } jQuery('#showcomments a').click(function(){ if(jQuery('#comments').css('display') == 'none') { self.location.href = '#comments'; check_location(); } else { check_location('hide'); } }); function change_location() { self.location.href = '#comments'; } }); /* ]]> */ […]

15. Cindy says:

his smile is too much!!

16. Phyllis Vermilyea says:

I fell in love with this little boy and how much he is like my grandson. I just hope and pray he never lets any of this go to his head and crowd out all the wonderful ideas planted there by a loving God. He is on my prayer list for my life. I wish I could really know him and his family.

17. Sam says:

I shouldn’t have watched this during my conference period at work. Now I have to think of excuses for why it looks like I have been crying. I am not sure why but this story moved me to tears. Gotta wash my face before my 5th graders come back from the gym. Can’t wait to show it to them. Thanks for sharing Caine’s story.

18. Anita says:

Wow…definitely tears…
    1. The love of the father for the son
    2. The optimism of Caine (not going to close early…ever)
    3. The child likeness of Nirvan
    And so much more that words cannot fully express!

19. Ph says:

In a world filled with greed, distrust and murder a little boy brings generosity of spirit, faith in his fellow man to come and joy beyond all telling. How is this possible……….a lesson for us all. Love to Caine and his family.

20. […] weeks ago, I shared the story of 9-year-old Caine Monroy of Caine’s Arcade. If you haven’t seen his story, please do yourself a favor and watch […]

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• The meaning of Memorial Day - through the eyes of my 81-yr-old father who was 14 yrs old when the Korean war began:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 8 hours ago
  • Remember the fallen. Honor our soldiers. Pray for leaders. And remember that we serve the Kingdom of God rather than the Empire of Nations. || 13 hours ago
  • We sometimes forget that heroes are real & ordinary people who demonstrate kindness & love. Thank you, Ricky Best &… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • In a world with much noise & clutter, we must create space to hear God's voice. Embrace solitude & silence. Sabbath. Pray. Listen. Breathe. || 3 days ago
  • "Being partisan is different than being political; discipleship means speaking into politics for common good." -… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 days ago
  • "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 5 days ago