in memory of shaima alawadi: human, daughter, wife, mother, neighbor, sister, friend

Take a long look.

Stare into her eyes.

Stare and Focus.  You’ll see that she’s not that different than you and I.

This is Shaima Alawadi.

• She is a human being.
  • She is Iraqi. She is American. She is Iraqi-American.
  • She is a neighbor.
  • She is a daughter.
  • She is a mother…of 5 children.
  • She is a wife.
  • She is a friend.
She is also dead. Murdered.
A brief glimpse of her story:

After living in Dearborn for a few years, she moved to the San Diego area in 1996, graduated from high school and became a housewife raising five children, Al-Zayadi said.

Al-Zayadi said Alawadi’s brothers worked for the U.S. Army, serving as cultural advisers to train soldiers who were going to be deployed to the Middle East. Another family friend told the San Diego Union-Tribune that Alawadi’s husband had a similar job.

Shaima Alwadai, 32, was recently beaten to death – bludgeoned by a tire iron – in her own home in El Cajon (suburb of San Diego). Her body was first discovered by her 17 year old daughter and three days later, was taken off life support.

There was a note next to her body with these words:

“go back to your country, you terrorist”

God have mercy…

• Take a moment to read her story.
  • Take a moment to stare at her face.
  • Take a moment to remember her name.
  • Take a moment to pray for her family.
And most importantly,

Let’s recommit ourselves:

to mercy, justice, and compassion. Recommit to loving our neighbors. Recommit to advocating, protecting, and building relationships.

As someone that’s heard that phrase countless times – especially as a youngster, “Go back to your country” – May we help build a country (and a world) where all are welcome and safe.

Here’s the news via CBS News:

EL CAJON, Calif. — A Muslim leader says that the body of an Iraqi-American woman who was found brutally beaten next to a note saying “go back to your country, you terrorist” will be flown to her home country for her funeral.

Shaima Alawadi, 32, was taken off life support on Saturday, three days after her 17-year-old daughter found her unconscious in the dining room of the family’s El Cajon home in suburban San Diego.

Investigators said they’re exploring all aspects of her slaying, including the possibility that the attack was a hate crime.

Alawadi’s father is a Shiite cleric in Iraq and the Iraqi government will pay for have her body sent back, a Muslim leader in Michigan told the Detroit Free-Press on Sunday.

“Everybody is outraged,” Imam Husham Al-Husainy of the Karbalaa Islamic Education Center in Dearborn said. “This is too evil, too criminal.”

The daughter, Fatima Al Himidi, told KUSI-TV her mother had been beaten on the head repeatedly with a tire iron, and that the note said “go back to your country, you terrorist.”

Police said the family had found a similar, threatening note earlier this month but did not report it to authorities.

Al Himidi told KGTV-TV her mother dismissed the first note, found outside the home, as a child’s prank.

Flowers were piled on the doorstep of the home Sunday. A neighbor said the family had moved in only a few weeks ago.

Friends said Alawadi wore a hijab, the Islamic head scarf.

Hayder Al-Zayadi, a family friend, told the Free-Press Alawadi moved to the United States in 1993 with her family and was part of a wave of Shiite Muslim refugees who fled to Michigan after Saddam Hussein cracked down on an uprising in 1991.

El Cajon, northeast of downtown San Diego, is home to one of the largest Iraqi communities in the United States.

Filed under: , , ,

1. Be careful how you assume an American did this to her. She could have been a sacrifice on behalf of raising disention. Brainshashing is a serious matter. Who ever did this is an evil perpetrator of life but just becareful who you blame it on . Such as Tray did anyone notice the media announced the shooter murder was white. Everyone got on the bandwagon of race till they found out the shooter was hispanic. then the media did not correct their error they just said he was white hispanic. What the heck does that mean. It means liberal media is always on the bandwagon to insight race desention. Who through the note. Was there really a note found on her body? You can assume the teller of the story is correct but they were not there. I know of women whos own parents and brothers of Islam religion have beaten and stabbed then and stoned them to death here in this country. Where is their movement. Yeah the 16 year old American girl who did not want to follow in her islamic root a few years back was recorded on her cell phone pleading for her life as her dad and mom were killing her stabbing her. So do NOT assume who this murder could be. Do not assume the note is a viable reliable piece of evidence. test all spirits

2. Joey McGee says:

This sucks. How freaking depressing.

3. kate says:

All hate crimes are equal!

4. Kate Green says:

All hate is equal… only weak people hate.

5. Darlene says:

Eugene, thanks for this post and for reminding me that injustice toward ANY ethnicity or culture is worthy of our attention, time and energy. I am not sure what God is doing within me, but I am grateful that he is opening my eyes and my heart to care…

• Eugene Cho says:

I hate sharing these kind of posts…

but they are a reality of our broken world.

While we may be discouraged by such a broken world, let’s keep faith in the trajectory of shalom and justice. Let’s work with passion, grace, and courage knowing that God will restore all things…

6. Debbie says:

I second Darlene’s comment. Thanks Eugene for the post.

7. ceweston says:

maybe the same person who got her pregnant at age 15 is somehow responsible. is there a life insurance policy? motive will help us find the killer. we cannot assume anything. leaving a note is like leaving a fingerprint. the note will have to be analyzed in the lab, as will the body. 😦

8. daniel so says:

Eugene — Thank you so much for speaking out on Shaima’s behalf and for sharing her story. I am heartbroken and sick over what has happened.

This hits close to home — El Cajon is just a couple of towns over from our church community here in SD. And I’m very familiar with Dearborn, MI — a suburb close to where I grew up.

We are all so broken. Christ, have mercy.

9. Jung-Hoon says:

What an abomination before the Maker! Lord have mercy on us.

“For who regards you as superior? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?” (1 Cor 4:7)

10. Helen Bishop says:

This is so sad and I am praying for truth and justice. This may or may not be a hate crime (some people are right it could be a set up) but either way it takes an evil person to do that and what about the 17 year old daughter who found her. What a horrible thing for a child to witness. I am praying that they will find the person/persons who did this. If it truly was a hate crime what stupidity to think such a thing.

11. Why is it always so easy to hate…

12. ApexNC says:

I don’t think this was a hate crime, I think this was an honor killing disguised to be a hate crime.
    First of all they moved to an area with lots of other Iraqi’s, the most in the state. 2nd they had been there only a few weeks. If someone wanted to commit a murder b/c they were against terriosim, do you think they would break in and use a tire iron? Everything about this is fishy to me. Whoever broke in, broke a window and beat this poor woman to death and her 17 year old daughter heard nothing? Come on. I know there are some whack jobs out there who believe anyone who is Muslim is a terrorist, but San Diego is a pretty liberal place, and seeing someone wear a shall is not a big shocker to most. Plus, why target her? She has 5 kids and a husband, they’d really have to know everyone’s schedule to make sure they were not home. Lastly, the note. Really? Who was the guy writing to? To the woman he already killed?? Or was it to her remaining family? It really doesn’t make sense. Even the police say they believe it was an isolated incident (ie don’t worry everyone, we’re pretty sure there’s not a murder on the loose running around killing Muslims). They also won’t call it a “hate crime” b/c they are leaving all options open at this point.

13. Tahsin Chowdhury says:

Check out my OP-ED on Shaima Alawadi everyone.

You’ll get a Muslim American’s Point of view on it!

14. Scott M says:

Hmm… so very sad and unfortunate that this happened. But what about the way Moslems treat Christians in the middle east, specifically in Egypt, Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan? So where is the Moslem outrage and the denunciation of hate crimes committed against Christians, their homes, and their churches?

Of course I’m not saying two wrongs make a right, I just wanted to point out that justice and tolerance is a two way street people.

15. As we observe this from the outside of the situation, I want to say just one thing: Remember Grace.

16. human says:

killing one innocent person is equivalent to killing all man kind
    On that account We ordained for the Children of Isra`il that if any one slew a person – unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land – it would be as if he slew the whole humanity: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the whole humanity. Then although there came to them Our messengers with clear (guidance), yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land. (5:32)

17. human says says:

i hope that person who killed that poor woman dies

18. human says says:

but i want him to die in pain for killing that poor incennot

19. JT says:

So Eugene, how’s this “hate crime” theory workin’ out for you?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Let's fully welcome refugees. Remember, refugees aren't terrorists...they're the ones fleeing away from violence, war, and terrorism.
Afraid? Me too. It's ok to acknowledge we're afraid since it confirms we're all...just...human. We're all afraid on some level especially when our culture seems to run on the currency of fear but as we live out our faith in Christ and more deeply embody compassion and love, fear begins to dissipate. It's also incredibly critical to know that agencies are implementing some of the most rigorous and thorough vetting ever.
My family hosted a Somalian Muslim family from a refugee camp years ago through @WorldRelief. It was eye opening, challenging (especially with language realities), and yet, encouraging...and we hope to host families again in the future as they resettle in a completely new and foreign city and country. It's a terrifying experience. And while not a refugee, I remember the first few months as an immigrant when I was six years old. To this day, I remember the kindness of folks that helped us through that transition. Lift a prayer for me as I'm privileged to collaborate in ministry here in Melbourne, Australia. Meeting with local pastors, teaching at the Justice Conference (10/21-22). Then, preaching at the Bridge Church on Sunday  Pray that in preaching the whole Gospel from the Scriptures, I may honor God, point people to Jesus, and be sensitive to the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Interesting. The holy bench. Wow. And in a blink of an eye, this happened. The nights might be long but the years go by fast. #ParentProverbs #WhatHappenedToMy13YearOldSon This past week, @seattlequest celebrated its 15th Anniversary. In many ways, it feels like forever and in other ways, it just seemed like we just started yesterday.

Around May 2000, Minhee and I found out we were expecting a 2nd child. Then, we got another surprise. We felt a calling and stirring to plant a church. We told God, "This is horrible timing!" We left a thriving ministry that we started in the Seattle surburbs and felt compelled to move into the city to plant a new multiethnic church called Quest. To be honest, we were so scared. Minhee was pregnant. Our insurance was about to run out. But we ventured forth. Once I resigned from this church, I had plans, goals, strategies...and none of them materialized. Only bills and payments. I quickly found out that a Masters of Divinity degree - as cool as it may sound - is actually useless in society. No one wanted to hire me. I was unemployed for months. We were eventually on food stamps and DSHS insurance.

In December 2000, we welcomed our 2nd child to the world. When "T" was born, we cried more than the baby. Couple days later, I finally landed a job as the janitor at a Barnes & Noble store. It wasn't quite what I was envisioning but God really worked through this "valley season." And we finally felt peace about starting Quest. Seven people gathered in our living room and several months later on October 2001, Quest Church was officially launched.
It has not been easy. We've been hurt and worse, we learned we hurt people. More accurately, I hurt people. We've heard our share of criticisms and sometimes, even worse. I've been called my share of names. Too many to list. I've been too liberal, too conservative, too edgy, too rigid, too blunt, too passive. We spent many nights crying out to the Lord...for direction, for peace, for answers. We usually never got the answers we were wanting...but we always felt His presence - even during our valleys. To be honest, we still have many restless nights. In fact, I think we have had more restless nights these past two years than we did in the first two years.
But through it all. God has been so faithful and gracious. Thank you, Lord. The good ol' days when I just wanted to make music. My kids have no idea how coooooooool I was. #OriginalMacPowell

• It's my birthday today. Grateful for family/friends. Above all, Jesus: Grateful for life, gift of salvation & the privilege of serving You. || 15 hours ago
  • Let's fully welcome refugees. Remember, refugees aren't terrorists...they're fleeing from violence, war, terrorism:…… || 17 hours ago
  • Lift a prayer for me as I preach in Melbourne, Australia. That I may honor God, point to Jesus, be sensitive to HS: || 1 day ago
  • Political inclinations aside, you discover much about a person in defeat. Finish well. This is leadership, too. || 1 day ago
  • Left. Right. Liberal. Conservative. Whatever your adjective, followers of Christ ought to be for the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. || 1 day ago
  • Politics and politicians frustrate me. However, we must engage politics b/c politics create policy & policy affects people & people matter. || 1 day ago