model leaves victoria’s secret to honor God, her husband…and be a better role model

Have you heard this story? Yes, its’ true: I’m talking about Victoria’s Secret models on my blog. [gulp]

In light of some recent posts I’ve written, “Media and Commercials: Women are Objects to be Objectified and Exploited for Consumption” and “The Dangers of Being a Woman”, this is a relevant and compelling read and discussion.

Truth be told, I don’t quite know what to make of modeling to begin with which is why I personally left modeling years ago. 😉

For one Victoria Secret’s model, Kylie Bisutti, she’s decided – in response to her convictions as a follower of Christ – to no longer model lingerie and leave Victoria’s Secret altogether:

“For all of you that were looking for me in the Victorias Secret runway show this year, I wasn’t in it. I have decided not to model lingerie because I personally feel that I am not honoring God or my husband by doing it. My marriage is very important & with divorce rates rising I want to do everything I can to protect my marriage and be respectful to my husband. God graciously gave me this marriage and this life and my desire is to live a Godly faithful life, I don’t however judge others for what they do. Everyone is convicted on different levels.”

Compelling stuff but the part of the story that got me was about her 8-year-old cousin:

“I was doing my makeup in the mirror one day and she was watching me,” Bisutti said.  “She looked at me and was like, ‘You know, I think I want to stop eating so I can look like you.’”

Hits very close to home. Couple years ago, one of my daughters was celebrating her 8-year-old birthday and had about 9 of her friends from school at a sleepover party. While they watched movies, talked, laughed, and played games, I tried my best not to interfere but on one occasion, I slowly walked down the stairs to the basement where they were playing and was absolutely heartbroken over their conversation.

These 8 and 9-year-old girls were going around and sharing with each other…how much weight they wanted to lose.

Let’s be honest:

• Most Christians will praise  this model and wholesome Christian woman.
  • Some Christians will cringe that this elevates the wholesome Christian woman.
  • Haters will hate this righteous and judgmental Christian woman.
  • Cynics will point  out that she hasn’t left modeling altogether and call out the hypocrisy of this still-model woman.
  • And lastly, some of us will google her name to umm…read other stories (and find some images). Research.

We can all be critics and cynics. Marriage is hard enough and I applaud Kylie for her mutual commitment to her husband, marriage, and covenant.

Convictions & Courage

And I’m grateful that the Holy Spirit still speaks through convictions and I applaud Kylie for the courage to honor these convictions. Courage is what we need to live out our faith.

Look inside:

While we ponder and express our opinions and views, it would be stupid for us not to look inside and consider the convictions the Holy Spirit has and is placing upon our hearts. I completely agree with Kylie on this: “It’s a heart issue.”

Here’s the article from ABC News:

Model Kylie Bisutti, 21, has decided to leave Victoria’s Secret because it clashes with her Christian beliefs.

“I just became so convicted of honoring the Lord and my body and wanting to be a role model for other women out there who look up to me,” Bisutti said today on “Good Morning America.”

The California native beat out 10,000 hopefuls in 2009 to win the Victoria’s Secret Model Search. She was 19 and recently married at the time.

But wearing the coveted angel wings and walking the runway with Adriana Lima and Miranda Kerr wasn’t quite what Bisutti had hoped for.

“I was growing in my relationship with the Lord and my faith.  I’m a strong believing Christian,” Bisutti told “GMA” of how her thoughts on the job she has described as her “absolutely biggest goal in life” began to change.

“It was more of just a heart issue for me,” she said.

Though Bisutti has cited her husband and her desire to keep their marriage special as factors in her decision to leave her lingerie modeling days behind, she said the decision was hers alone.

“He was so, so supportive of me and I’m so thankful that he let me grow and let me come to this decision on my own,” she said of her husband.

Bisutti’s decision to leave the lingerie company was also spurred on by an encounter with her 8-year-old cousin.

“It just broke my heart because she looks up to me and I didn’t want to be that type of person that she thought she had to do that to be beautiful,” she said.  “Thousands of girls that think that being beautiful is an outer issue and really it’s a heart issue.”

On Dec. 1, one day after the nationally televised Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, in which Bisutti didn’t appear, aired, the model posted to her Twitter page, “For all of you that were looking for me in the Victorias Secret runway show this year, I wasn’t in it. I have decided not to model lingerie Because I personally feel that I am not honoring God or my husband by doing it. My marriage is very important & with divorce rates rising I want to do everything I can to protect my marriage and be respectful to my husband. God graciously gave me this marriage and this life and my desire is to live a Godly faithful life, I don’t however judge others for what they do. Everyone is convicted on different levels.”

Bisutti says her headline-making decision does not mean she is giving up her modeling career altogether.

“I’m definitely going to pursue modeling,” she said on “GMA.”  “I just want to be more wholesome about it and the jobs that I am going to choose are always going to be honoring the Lord.” (original link)

Filed under: , ,

1. Ken Wagner says:

I heard about this earlier, and I think it’s great to see someone growing in their faith. As followers of Jesus, we are all in process–“human becomings” if you will. I hope that I can be as consistent and congruent in my own faith journey. It’s nice to hear about someone who wants to “walk the talk.”

2. RC says:

I commend her. May the Lord give her humble courage as she’ll be mocked for it. And that she’ll take advantage of every opportunity when asked about it (Matt. 5:16; 1 Pet.3:15).

3. tabatha says:

i find her husband pretty amazing, too. a man that is secure enough in himself and his own relationship with God to allow his “Victoria’s Secret model” wife come to this decision on her own is an incredible gift to her.

4. Jeanne Sales says:

God leaves no fingerprints!

5. sonia says:

I saw this on yahoo and was surprised. Its a hard thing to do now a days especially if your in the spot light. Its pretty Cool.

6. Joanna says:

I love this!!!!!

When I heard about this story I was so touched & inspired ♥ Living in a world where one of the mottos is “If you got it, flaunt it”, it’s nice to know that there are people to remind us that beauty isn’t something that was made to be sold, and make us ask ourselves the question, “Who are we honoring with our lives?” I’m so excited & happy that more people are standing up for God and choosing to be better role models!

7. James says:

Great post Eugene. Thank you for sharing. Keep doing your great work. It is inspiring.

8. sejin says:

Hey Pastor Eugene,

If Kylie’s conviction came before her success with Victoria Secret then she might not able to have reached the mass about her love for Christ. So in a sense is it a compromise to play the cards as she did or should she have not entered Victoria Secret to begin with?

• Eugene Cho says:

tough to say…or to judge.

i think more often than not, we don’t quite understand a situation until we get into that situation.

supposedly, she was giving up 7 digits in compensation for relinquishing this job.

9. I read about this a few days ago, and was incredibly proud of her decision (if it’s not condescending to be proud of a person you’ve never met–I’m just sure that decision was hard-won!). However, the comments beneath the article made me wince, and many of the secular commenters seemed outraged at her for making a moral decision. My personal favorite? “Stay cute and shut up.” Yeah, that pretty much sums up one of the predominant views of women. 😦

10. maggie says:

Kylie did what in her heart she needed to do to fulfill her convictions and her role model, wife, woman and as a christian. She, like any other human being deserves the God giving right to make her own choices about her life. Regradless of when or why? It doesn’t matter, God has great plans for her and her whole life. Go Kylie!! May God keep blessing you in your life journey’s and keep you close to his loving and merciful love!

11. Wes Gardner says:

Reblogged this on Clavin's lore and commented:
    There was a lot of hype given to the SI Swimsuit Issue last week. Somehow this went under the radar.

12. Tim Fong says:

Hey Eugene,

I think this must not have been an “easy” decision to make in the sense that there were plenty of competing desires — acceptance, money, attention.

She could have just as easily justified it — it’s not much more different than the way non-models justify long-hours away from the family working in the business.

What’s exceptional about this is that it attracted mainstream attention, and surely someone was intrigued to ask, “Why is she doing this, and is there something to it that I want for my own?”

She should be on “I am second”

13. Good on her for following her convictions. It is hard enough to without having a spotlight on you because you are a public figure.

This was 10 years ago. I dominated my son in wrestling and I know what you're thinking, "How could you employ a rear chokehold armbar kimura on your own son?" Hey, a competition is a competition.

I love you, son. The world is broken. This ia a sad truth. But the story of redemption is not yet finished. God is not yet done. This is the ultimate Truth. Have hope. Press on. Ten years ago, I witnessed one of those "God things" when a church called Interbay Covenant Church gave itself, its legacy, and a building property worth $7 million dollars to @seattlequest. We were then only 5 years old.

Quest is an urban, multiethnic churchplant that started in 2001. We rented the facilities at Interbay Covenant Church - a predominantly older, mostly Anglo congregation with a rich 65 years history. After some time, Pastor Ray Bartel (senior pastor, Interbay) approached me with a "crazy idea" of Interbay "dying to itself and giving itself to Quest" for the sake of the greater Kingdom and the coming generations.

This eventually led to three years of many conversations and prayers. On June 3, 2007, the two churches officially came together to become one church. In giving itself, Interbay also shared their leadership, legacy, and stories. They also gave all of their assets without any strings and without any debt.

Their radical generosity and courage is what enabled Quest to grow - not just numerically - but deeper in discipleship, and deeper in missions - to the city of Seattle and beyond. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of this merger, we created a short film (check my FB page to see the video) to tell the story - so that our church and the next generations may never forget and that the larger Church may be stirred and encouraged by a greater Kingdom vision.

Thank you, Interbay! The NBA season is over but the hustle and grind continues for my daughter. We argue sometimes but I love training my daughter. She's working hard for her senior year next year. Starting point guard. She's improved a lot. She's one of the quickest players on the floor and has a great midrange jumper. But trying to get her to keep working on her handles, using her off hand and shoulder to protect the ball,  staying and dribbling the ball lower to the ground, and playing aggressive and downhill while remaining in control. That's what we're working on this week. #hoopdreams #ChovarBall Reunited with my favorite elephant, Buh'loom. We bonded earlier this year and I'd like to think that she recognized my voice. Also, appreciate learning about ethical and sustainable eco-tourism. Anywhere. Everywhere. Night markets are the best.