president obama opposes family, faith, freedom, white dogs, asians, and human beings.

It’s amazing what makes headline news nowadays.

Example:

President Barack and Michelle Obama’s Christmas card selection.

Yup. Headline news.

Why?

Because former Alaska governor, Sarah Palin, has come to officially criticize its selection as “odd” since it emphasizes Obama’s family dog, Bo, and as such, we can assess that the first family and specifically, President Obama, elevates canines over “family, faith, and freedom.”

Huh? Really?

I hope this doesn’t sound awkward, elite, or boastful:

Minhee and I also received the official White House Christmas card couple weeks.

When I first opened the card, I was secretly hoping it included a gift card from Target but I digress. When I first opened the card, I analyzed the card as I do every single Christmas card I receive since it’s very helpful for me to make judgments and analysis about that person.

So, I thought I’d join in the party and share with you 8 things I learned about President Obama from my observations and analysis of the official White House Card:

1. The 1st family must oppose human beings because there’s no sign of human beings in that picture. I knew it: He’s an alien!
  2. Wow. Even their dog is black! I knew it: He hates white people!
  3. Lots of red colors and red tint in the card. I knew it: He’s a communists or at least, a socialist!
  4. Occupy that room.
  5. Where’s the Bible? If there’s one on the shelf, why isn’t it prominently placed on the table? I knew it: He hates our religious heritage.
  6. Where’s the picture of the White Jesus above the fireplace? I knew it: He’s a Muslim and hates Jesus!
  7. Is that an Oriental rug? I knew it: He hates Asians!
  8. Where’s the American flag? I knew it: He’s not American!

You have any analysis? Did I miss anything?

As a staunch independent voter, I have no deep affection for any political affiliations but I’ve committed personally to pray for our civic leaders.

Obviously, Minhee and I don’t know the first family personally. Barack and I aren’t texting friends. Our kids don’t play together. But I’ve had the privilege (and burden) to be at the White House twice over the past couple years because while I have my occasional bouts of cynicism over politics, I know that politics are important because it informs policies which ultimately, impact people – and I fear, people that are often under-represented.

I don’t have anything against Sarah Palin and honestly, if I could pick a handful of people to spend the day with, she’d definitely be on that list. I’d love to spend a weekend in Alaska fishing and hunting with her. And as I’ve shared before, I really like Sarah Palin – but not for President.

But the point that I’m trying to make here is that it’s amazing how our views, judgments, and biases inform us in such a way that it has the dark capacity to nearly influence how we see a person, circumstance, and situation.

When you dislike someone, it doesn’t matter what “good” they do or intend…we’ll find a way to be critical. We’ll find the ugly.

How do I know this?

I look in the mirror and I see my personal depravity.

My hope for this upcoming year is “Hate Less. Love More.”

Let’s keep working towards love; listening; eating together; working together. Lets’ remember: We are bound to one another.

Filed under: , , , , ,

1. pastoralan says:

I’m glad you got the card brother. LOL — everyone has a “name dropping” card or soap box issue.

I get your points. You are always good to make unique points on real issues. And I’m not really one of the fanatical types that sees the bad in everything. Yet I’m not the kind that just sits back and takes it either.

The President has presented a mixed bag on faith. He’s like Bush, a pluralist.

Absence of doctrinal images may or may not be bad. I’m much more confident with people and leaders who are bold about basic Christianity and its exclusiveness. But hey, I’m might be classified as one of those hopeful, gospel driven Christ followers.

I get your point, but the other side also makes out country balanced.

• Eugene Cho says:

“…but the other side also makes out country balanced.”

Love that.

This is what I meant in “We are bound to one another.”

We really need one another.

• Tonya Wollschleger says:

I don’t think I’ve ever met a Christian that daily practiced, expanded, questioned and challenged their faith that didn’t have a “mixed bag”. And I don’t see how that is a bad thing. The fact that we do use our ability to get righteously angry when we are predispositioned to disagree with that person, is something that many Christians have yet to identify in their own laundry list of weaknesses. I think that with Christmas just a few strokes of the clock away and New Year’s and Resolutions just around the corner, that it is the perfect time for self reflection and this particular flaw is one that I know I will take the time to reflect on. On the flip side, for me, I find I defend, with the same amount of passion, a person I like – the other side of the coin of anger to those we disagree with. So perhaps I should work towards balance.

2. Sejin says:

Awesome post which helps clarify why our judgmental nature is dangerous. I constantly need to pray against this stronghold.

3. Jamie P Moon says:

President Obama doesn’t oppose family, dogs, nor asians but he does oppose human rights and civil liberties.

He is the first president to assassinate American citizens and is about to sign the NDAA that would allow the infinite detention of American citizens.

We don’t have to hate, but we can oppose policies that do not promote shalom.

30 US open secrets that may be of interest to you. Come to your own conclusions but here are some facts: http://bit.ly/rOvTuO

God bless and peace.

4. MA says:

Love the final sentance: “We are bound to one another” that is some serious responsiblity but so beautiful.

Hey there are worse Political Christmas cards in circulation… http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com/notitas-de-noticias/details/puerto-rico-gov-jorge-santini-christmas-card-wrong-picture-video/12610/

• jp says:

Responsibility, yes, and I doubt most are willing to live up to it, as I know that most do not care about their fellow human being, unless it is of importance to themselves. As the optimist that I try to be, unfortunately, I have to continually live being the realist.

The president is politics, nothing more…He is not a symbol of America, never will be, nor should be. If he were Jesus, then I would have expectations of him, but since he is no different than you or me, I see him as a pawn, just as we all are. The only difference that will ever be made is in our own hearts and how we live to reflect The Truth!

• jp says:

Oh, and if I were president, I would send a card to every one of my fellow citizens, not only those I felt privileged enough to receive. The fact that any man on this planet can believe himself or herself more privileged than another flies in the face of true humanity. Such people do not understand the true nature of serving, whether is be God or mankind.

We continually live in an elitest society, rather than one that has continually been defined by God as being mutually beneficial to all. Though I must wait for the ideal, I will continually pursue such ideals in our physical world to extent that I can prevail.

5. Jamie P Moon says:

Sorry, I made a few edits.

He is the first president to assassinate American citizens and is about to sign the NDAA that would allow the infinite detention of American citizens without due process. “President Obama cannot even justify this serious threat to basic rights on the basis of security…President Obama will go down in history as the president who enshrined indefinite detention without trial in US law.” —Human Rights Watch

We don’t have to hate, but we can oppose policies that do not promote shalom, while still praying for positive change.

God bless and peace.

6. Kyle says:

Great perspective and true to the point that hate and biasses can be the ultimate blinder to reality!

PS> Not a fan of Obama, but I would agree on the lack of relevence the holiday card has in determining his views. Instead, I prefer to base my perspective on the actual policies and direction of his presidency.

7. Carrie says:

I agree with you on this…there is nothing more biased than one’s view on politics. Our perception, life experiences, etc. can’t help but be a pervasive filter. May humility always be our motivator.

• jp says:

Well, then, might you think about being nonpartisan in order to control your own bias? It is only when we allow one’s ego to have major influence on decisions, when politics are relative and bias…Otherwise, it is as our founding fathers and our true Father desires. A government, by the people and for the people. There is no place for partisanship in truth! There is absolute truth, whether we understand or attain it.

If our government was truly intended for the betterment of our society, it would not be based on two parties who would decide the ultimate fate of 100’s of millions of people.

8. Stephen says:

You lost me at ‘I actually like Sarah Palin’ 😉 jk … Kinda. Anyways, off to lunch in Russia.

9. JBen says:

It gets even more fun when you try to analyze Fox News’ christmas card. Particularly given their focus on the “war on christmas.”

10. Mark Wiley says:

Evidently the white house is going to the dogs :-).

11. SJ says:

I see both you and the President has been captive by the ethos of the time. I wish both of you realize to escape from it so than real issue can be present to the lives of people.

12. Ben L says:

“I know that politics are important because it informs policies which ultimately, impact people – and I fear, people that are often under-represented.” one of my fav quotes…..good post concise, peppered with humor. makes the “medicine” taste a little better of sorts…….more love indeed.

13. Kathryn Sciba says:

I love a good peacemaker! Merry Christmas, PE!!!

14. Jamie P Moon says:

Blessed are the peacemakers, but don’t forget to pray for the thousands of innocent lives killed under the name of the U.S. whom many in the world associate with Christianity. E.g. Obama’s war in Libya without congressional approval and his funding of children soldiers in Yemen and Congo to chase after Al Quada.

15. Rob says:

I’m just jealous I didn’t get one.

dang, that sinful human nature! 🙂

16. Jamie P Moon says:

Critical thinking skills of recognizing mass deception tactics 101. Recognize them:

1) In order to deceive and distract attention away from your self or something else for whatever reason, direct attention to fools to make yourself more credible. This way, you can also suppress any truth revealed by those found guilty by association. Hypothetical Eg) Kim Jong-Un points out a South Korea clown who is anti-juche and then all North Koreans laugh happy they’re not like them. Or how Pharisees tried to discredit the message of John the Baptist b/c he didn’t drink or discredit Jesus b/c he hung around ‘sinners.’

2) To come across as loving and morally superior and more popular, but still want to take a jab at someone, reveal the bad or foolish remarks made of that person and say how we should love them. Eg. Let’s have a prayer meeting… well this person did this and that, but b/c we’re such loving people, let us love her. Then you get applauded for being morally superior and you get to spread ad rehash the news that you want to really propagate.

3) Propagate a false dichotomy sub-plot so that people will always have to support you b/c you’ve made it seem the seemingly alternative is worse. However, the reality may be that the issue is multi-layered and the solution may be comprehensive in strategy or deeper than one thinks. Right/Left wing sham in the U.S. when really talk to anyone who lived since WW2, that it’s all a sham.

As soon as the division between church and state become blurred as the state with their enormous resources put pressures on community representatives, now CNN’s and Fox’s sub-plots now exist in the world. Pastors and the church have been hijacked.

Don’t fall victim to it.. keep an open mind that the lens the state tries to see is a false lens.

17. Rolf Hammersborg says:

Mitch Daniels didn’t say “God bless.” He doesn’t believe in God.

18. […] C’mon. Just because you don’t like Romney doesn’t mean he hates 47% of Americans. Just because you don’t like President Obama doesn’t mean that he opposes family, faith, freedom, white dogs, Asians, and human beings. […]

19. […] C’mon. Just because you don’t like Romney doesn’t mean he hates 47 percent of Americans. Just because you don’t like Pres. Obama doesn’t mean he opposes family, faith, freedom, white dogs, Asians and human beings. […]

20. […] C’mon. Just because you don’t like Romney doesn’t mean he hates 47 percent of Americans. Just because you don’t like Pres. Obama doesn’t mean he opposes family, faith, freedom, white dogs, Asians and human beings. […]

Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor. It's a sad reality but our society runs on the currency of fear. Don't feed into this frenzy.

Rather, invest in faith, hope, and love.