president obama opposes family, faith, freedom, white dogs, asians, and human beings.

It’s amazing what makes headline news nowadays.

President Barack and Michelle Obama’s Christmas card selection.

Yup. Headline news.

Because former Alaska governor, Sarah Palin, has come to officially criticize its selection as “odd” since it emphasizes Obama’s family dog, Bo, and as such, we can assess that the first family and specifically, President Obama, elevates canines over “family, faith, and freedom.”

Huh? Really?

I hope this doesn’t sound awkward, elite, or boastful:

Minhee and I also received the official White House Christmas card couple weeks.

When I first opened the card, I was secretly hoping it included a gift card from Target but I digress. When I first opened the card, I analyzed the card as I do every single Christmas card I receive since it’s very helpful for me to make judgments and analysis about that person.

So, I thought I’d join in the party and share with you 8 things I learned about President Obama from my observations and analysis of the official White House Card:

1. The 1st family must oppose human beings because there’s no sign of human beings in that picture. I knew it: He’s an alien!
  2. Wow. Even their dog is black! I knew it: He hates white people!
  3. Lots of red colors and red tint in the card. I knew it: He’s a communists or at least, a socialist!
  4. Occupy that room.
  5. Where’s the Bible? If there’s one on the shelf, why isn’t it prominently placed on the table? I knew it: He hates our religious heritage.
  6. Where’s the picture of the White Jesus above the fireplace? I knew it: He’s a Muslim and hates Jesus!
  7. Is that an Oriental rug? I knew it: He hates Asians!
  8. Where’s the American flag? I knew it: He’s not American!

You have any analysis? Did I miss anything?

As a staunch independent voter, I have no deep affection for any political affiliations but I’ve committed personally to pray for our civic leaders.

Obviously, Minhee and I don’t know the first family personally. Barack and I aren’t texting friends. Our kids don’t play together. But I’ve had the privilege (and burden) to be at the White House twice over the past couple years because while I have my occasional bouts of cynicism over politics, I know that politics are important because it informs policies which ultimately, impact people – and I fear, people that are often under-represented.

I don’t have anything against Sarah Palin and honestly, if I could pick a handful of people to spend the day with, she’d definitely be on that list. I’d love to spend a weekend in Alaska fishing and hunting with her. And as I’ve shared before, I really like Sarah Palin – but not for President.

But the point that I’m trying to make here is that it’s amazing how our views, judgments, and biases inform us in such a way that it has the dark capacity to nearly influence how we see a person, circumstance, and situation.

When you dislike someone, it doesn’t matter what “good” they do or intend…we’ll find a way to be critical. We’ll find the ugly.

How do I know this?

I look in the mirror and I see my personal depravity.

My hope for this upcoming year is “Hate Less. Love More.”

Let’s keep working towards love; listening; eating together; working together. Lets’ remember: We are bound to one another.

Filed under: , , , , ,

1. pastoralan says:

I’m glad you got the card brother. LOL — everyone has a “name dropping” card or soap box issue.

I get your points. You are always good to make unique points on real issues. And I’m not really one of the fanatical types that sees the bad in everything. Yet I’m not the kind that just sits back and takes it either.

The President has presented a mixed bag on faith. He’s like Bush, a pluralist.

Absence of doctrinal images may or may not be bad. I’m much more confident with people and leaders who are bold about basic Christianity and its exclusiveness. But hey, I’m might be classified as one of those hopeful, gospel driven Christ followers.

I get your point, but the other side also makes out country balanced.

• Eugene Cho says:

“…but the other side also makes out country balanced.”

Love that.

This is what I meant in “We are bound to one another.”

We really need one another.

• Tonya Wollschleger says:

I don’t think I’ve ever met a Christian that daily practiced, expanded, questioned and challenged their faith that didn’t have a “mixed bag”. And I don’t see how that is a bad thing. The fact that we do use our ability to get righteously angry when we are predispositioned to disagree with that person, is something that many Christians have yet to identify in their own laundry list of weaknesses. I think that with Christmas just a few strokes of the clock away and New Year’s and Resolutions just around the corner, that it is the perfect time for self reflection and this particular flaw is one that I know I will take the time to reflect on. On the flip side, for me, I find I defend, with the same amount of passion, a person I like – the other side of the coin of anger to those we disagree with. So perhaps I should work towards balance.

2. Sejin says:

Awesome post which helps clarify why our judgmental nature is dangerous. I constantly need to pray against this stronghold.

3. Jamie P Moon says:

President Obama doesn’t oppose family, dogs, nor asians but he does oppose human rights and civil liberties.

He is the first president to assassinate American citizens and is about to sign the NDAA that would allow the infinite detention of American citizens.

We don’t have to hate, but we can oppose policies that do not promote shalom.

30 US open secrets that may be of interest to you. Come to your own conclusions but here are some facts:

God bless and peace.

4. MA says:

Love the final sentance: “We are bound to one another” that is some serious responsiblity but so beautiful.

Hey there are worse Political Christmas cards in circulation…

• jp says:

Responsibility, yes, and I doubt most are willing to live up to it, as I know that most do not care about their fellow human being, unless it is of importance to themselves. As the optimist that I try to be, unfortunately, I have to continually live being the realist.

The president is politics, nothing more…He is not a symbol of America, never will be, nor should be. If he were Jesus, then I would have expectations of him, but since he is no different than you or me, I see him as a pawn, just as we all are. The only difference that will ever be made is in our own hearts and how we live to reflect The Truth!

• jp says:

Oh, and if I were president, I would send a card to every one of my fellow citizens, not only those I felt privileged enough to receive. The fact that any man on this planet can believe himself or herself more privileged than another flies in the face of true humanity. Such people do not understand the true nature of serving, whether is be God or mankind.

We continually live in an elitest society, rather than one that has continually been defined by God as being mutually beneficial to all. Though I must wait for the ideal, I will continually pursue such ideals in our physical world to extent that I can prevail.

5. Jamie P Moon says:

Sorry, I made a few edits.

He is the first president to assassinate American citizens and is about to sign the NDAA that would allow the infinite detention of American citizens without due process. “President Obama cannot even justify this serious threat to basic rights on the basis of security…President Obama will go down in history as the president who enshrined indefinite detention without trial in US law.” —Human Rights Watch

We don’t have to hate, but we can oppose policies that do not promote shalom, while still praying for positive change.

God bless and peace.

6. Kyle says:

Great perspective and true to the point that hate and biasses can be the ultimate blinder to reality!

PS> Not a fan of Obama, but I would agree on the lack of relevence the holiday card has in determining his views. Instead, I prefer to base my perspective on the actual policies and direction of his presidency.

7. Carrie says:

I agree with you on this…there is nothing more biased than one’s view on politics. Our perception, life experiences, etc. can’t help but be a pervasive filter. May humility always be our motivator.

• jp says:

Well, then, might you think about being nonpartisan in order to control your own bias? It is only when we allow one’s ego to have major influence on decisions, when politics are relative and bias…Otherwise, it is as our founding fathers and our true Father desires. A government, by the people and for the people. There is no place for partisanship in truth! There is absolute truth, whether we understand or attain it.

If our government was truly intended for the betterment of our society, it would not be based on two parties who would decide the ultimate fate of 100’s of millions of people.

8. Stephen says:

You lost me at ‘I actually like Sarah Palin’😉 jk … Kinda. Anyways, off to lunch in Russia.

9. JBen says:

It gets even more fun when you try to analyze Fox News’ christmas card. Particularly given their focus on the “war on christmas.”

10. Mark Wiley says:

Evidently the white house is going to the dogs🙂.

11. SJ says:

I see both you and the President has been captive by the ethos of the time. I wish both of you realize to escape from it so than real issue can be present to the lives of people.

12. Ben L says:

“I know that politics are important because it informs policies which ultimately, impact people – and I fear, people that are often under-represented.” one of my fav quotes…..good post concise, peppered with humor. makes the “medicine” taste a little better of sorts…….more love indeed.

13. Kathryn Sciba says:

I love a good peacemaker! Merry Christmas, PE!!!

14. Jamie P Moon says:

Blessed are the peacemakers, but don’t forget to pray for the thousands of innocent lives killed under the name of the U.S. whom many in the world associate with Christianity. E.g. Obama’s war in Libya without congressional approval and his funding of children soldiers in Yemen and Congo to chase after Al Quada.

15. Rob says:

I’m just jealous I didn’t get one.

dang, that sinful human nature! 🙂

16. Jamie P Moon says:

Critical thinking skills of recognizing mass deception tactics 101. Recognize them:

1) In order to deceive and distract attention away from your self or something else for whatever reason, direct attention to fools to make yourself more credible. This way, you can also suppress any truth revealed by those found guilty by association. Hypothetical Eg) Kim Jong-Un points out a South Korea clown who is anti-juche and then all North Koreans laugh happy they’re not like them. Or how Pharisees tried to discredit the message of John the Baptist b/c he didn’t drink or discredit Jesus b/c he hung around ‘sinners.’

2) To come across as loving and morally superior and more popular, but still want to take a jab at someone, reveal the bad or foolish remarks made of that person and say how we should love them. Eg. Let’s have a prayer meeting… well this person did this and that, but b/c we’re such loving people, let us love her. Then you get applauded for being morally superior and you get to spread ad rehash the news that you want to really propagate.

3) Propagate a false dichotomy sub-plot so that people will always have to support you b/c you’ve made it seem the seemingly alternative is worse. However, the reality may be that the issue is multi-layered and the solution may be comprehensive in strategy or deeper than one thinks. Right/Left wing sham in the U.S. when really talk to anyone who lived since WW2, that it’s all a sham.

As soon as the division between church and state become blurred as the state with their enormous resources put pressures on community representatives, now CNN’s and Fox’s sub-plots now exist in the world. Pastors and the church have been hijacked.

Don’t fall victim to it.. keep an open mind that the lens the state tries to see is a false lens.

17. Rolf Hammersborg says:

Mitch Daniels didn’t say “God bless.” He doesn’t believe in God.

18. […] C’mon. Just because you don’t like Romney doesn’t mean he hates 47% of Americans. Just because you don’t like President Obama doesn’t mean that he opposes family, faith, freedom, white dogs, Asians, and human beings. […]

19. […] C’mon. Just because you don’t like Romney doesn’t mean he hates 47 percent of Americans. Just because you don’t like Pres. Obama doesn’t mean he opposes family, faith, freedom, white dogs, Asians and human beings. […]

20. […] C’mon. Just because you don’t like Romney doesn’t mean he hates 47 percent of Americans. Just because you don’t like Pres. Obama doesn’t mean he opposes family, faith, freedom, white dogs, Asians and human beings. […]

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Let's fully welcome refugees. Remember, refugees aren't terrorists...they're the ones fleeing away from violence, war, and terrorism.
Afraid? Me too. It's ok to acknowledge we're afraid since it confirms we're all...just...human. We're all afraid on some level especially when our culture seems to run on the currency of fear but as we live out our faith in Christ and more deeply embody compassion and love, fear begins to dissipate. It's also incredibly critical to know that agencies are implementing some of the most rigorous and thorough vetting ever.
My family hosted a Somalian Muslim family from a refugee camp years ago through @WorldRelief. It was eye opening, challenging (especially with language realities), and yet, encouraging...and we hope to host families again in the future as they resettle in a completely new and foreign city and country. It's a terrifying experience. And while not a refugee, I remember the first few months as an immigrant when I was six years old. To this day, I remember the kindness of folks that helped us through that transition. Lift a prayer for me as I'm privileged to collaborate in ministry here in Melbourne, Australia. Meeting with local pastors, teaching at the Justice Conference (10/21-22). Then, preaching at the Bridge Church on Sunday  Pray that in preaching the whole Gospel from the Scriptures, I may honor God, point people to Jesus, and be sensitive to the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Interesting. The holy bench. Wow. And in a blink of an eye, this happened. The nights might be long but the years go by fast. #ParentProverbs #WhatHappenedToMy13YearOldSon This past week, @seattlequest celebrated its 15th Anniversary. In many ways, it feels like forever and in other ways, it just seemed like we just started yesterday.

Around May 2000, Minhee and I found out we were expecting a 2nd child. Then, we got another surprise. We felt a calling and stirring to plant a church. We told God, "This is horrible timing!" We left a thriving ministry that we started in the Seattle surburbs and felt compelled to move into the city to plant a new multiethnic church called Quest. To be honest, we were so scared. Minhee was pregnant. Our insurance was about to run out. But we ventured forth. Once I resigned from this church, I had plans, goals, strategies...and none of them materialized. Only bills and payments. I quickly found out that a Masters of Divinity degree - as cool as it may sound - is actually useless in society. No one wanted to hire me. I was unemployed for months. We were eventually on food stamps and DSHS insurance.

In December 2000, we welcomed our 2nd child to the world. When "T" was born, we cried more than the baby. Couple days later, I finally landed a job as the janitor at a Barnes & Noble store. It wasn't quite what I was envisioning but God really worked through this "valley season." And we finally felt peace about starting Quest. Seven people gathered in our living room and several months later on October 2001, Quest Church was officially launched.
It has not been easy. We've been hurt and worse, we learned we hurt people. More accurately, I hurt people. We've heard our share of criticisms and sometimes, even worse. I've been called my share of names. Too many to list. I've been too liberal, too conservative, too edgy, too rigid, too blunt, too passive. We spent many nights crying out to the Lord...for direction, for peace, for answers. We usually never got the answers we were wanting...but we always felt His presence - even during our valleys. To be honest, we still have many restless nights. In fact, I think we have had more restless nights these past two years than we did in the first two years.
But through it all. God has been so faithful and gracious. Thank you, Lord. The good ol' days when I just wanted to make music. My kids have no idea how coooooooool I was. #OriginalMacPowell

• It's my birthday today. Grateful for family/friends. Above all, Jesus: Grateful for life, gift of salvation & the privilege of serving You. || 1 day ago
  • Let's fully welcome refugees. Remember, refugees aren't terrorists...they're fleeing from violence, war, terrorism:…… || 1 day ago
  • Lift a prayer for me as I preach in Melbourne, Australia. That I may honor God, point to Jesus, be sensitive to HS: || 1 day ago
  • Political inclinations aside, you discover much about a person in defeat. Finish well. This is leadership, too. || 2 days ago
  • Left. Right. Liberal. Conservative. Whatever your adjective, followers of Christ ought to be for the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. || 2 days ago
  • Politics and politicians frustrate me. However, we must engage politics b/c politics create policy & policy affects people & people matter. || 2 days ago