president obama opposes family, faith, freedom, white dogs, asians, and human beings.

It’s amazing what makes headline news nowadays.

Example:

President Barack and Michelle Obama’s Christmas card selection.

Yup. Headline news.

Why?

Because former Alaska governor, Sarah Palin, has come to officially criticize its selection as “odd” since it emphasizes Obama’s family dog, Bo, and as such, we can assess that the first family and specifically, President Obama, elevates canines over “family, faith, and freedom.”

Huh? Really?

I hope this doesn’t sound awkward, elite, or boastful:

Minhee and I also received the official White House Christmas card couple weeks.

When I first opened the card, I was secretly hoping it included a gift card from Target but I digress. When I first opened the card, I analyzed the card as I do every single Christmas card I receive since it’s very helpful for me to make judgments and analysis about that person.

So, I thought I’d join in the party and share with you 8 things I learned about President Obama from my observations and analysis of the official White House Card:

1. The 1st family must oppose human beings because there’s no sign of human beings in that picture. I knew it: He’s an alien!
  2. Wow. Even their dog is black! I knew it: He hates white people!
  3. Lots of red colors and red tint in the card. I knew it: He’s a communists or at least, a socialist!
  4. Occupy that room.
  5. Where’s the Bible? If there’s one on the shelf, why isn’t it prominently placed on the table? I knew it: He hates our religious heritage.
  6. Where’s the picture of the White Jesus above the fireplace? I knew it: He’s a Muslim and hates Jesus!
  7. Is that an Oriental rug? I knew it: He hates Asians!
  8. Where’s the American flag? I knew it: He’s not American!

You have any analysis? Did I miss anything?

As a staunch independent voter, I have no deep affection for any political affiliations but I’ve committed personally to pray for our civic leaders.

Obviously, Minhee and I don’t know the first family personally. Barack and I aren’t texting friends. Our kids don’t play together. But I’ve had the privilege (and burden) to be at the White House twice over the past couple years because while I have my occasional bouts of cynicism over politics, I know that politics are important because it informs policies which ultimately, impact people – and I fear, people that are often under-represented.

I don’t have anything against Sarah Palin and honestly, if I could pick a handful of people to spend the day with, she’d definitely be on that list. I’d love to spend a weekend in Alaska fishing and hunting with her. And as I’ve shared before, I really like Sarah Palin – but not for President.

But the point that I’m trying to make here is that it’s amazing how our views, judgments, and biases inform us in such a way that it has the dark capacity to nearly influence how we see a person, circumstance, and situation.

When you dislike someone, it doesn’t matter what “good” they do or intend…we’ll find a way to be critical. We’ll find the ugly.

How do I know this?

I look in the mirror and I see my personal depravity.

My hope for this upcoming year is “Hate Less. Love More.”

Let’s keep working towards love; listening; eating together; working together. Lets’ remember: We are bound to one another.

Filed under: , , , , ,

1. pastoralan says:

I’m glad you got the card brother. LOL — everyone has a “name dropping” card or soap box issue.

I get your points. You are always good to make unique points on real issues. And I’m not really one of the fanatical types that sees the bad in everything. Yet I’m not the kind that just sits back and takes it either.

The President has presented a mixed bag on faith. He’s like Bush, a pluralist.

Absence of doctrinal images may or may not be bad. I’m much more confident with people and leaders who are bold about basic Christianity and its exclusiveness. But hey, I’m might be classified as one of those hopeful, gospel driven Christ followers.

I get your point, but the other side also makes out country balanced.

• Eugene Cho says:

“…but the other side also makes out country balanced.”

Love that.

This is what I meant in “We are bound to one another.”

We really need one another.

• Tonya Wollschleger says:

I don’t think I’ve ever met a Christian that daily practiced, expanded, questioned and challenged their faith that didn’t have a “mixed bag”. And I don’t see how that is a bad thing. The fact that we do use our ability to get righteously angry when we are predispositioned to disagree with that person, is something that many Christians have yet to identify in their own laundry list of weaknesses. I think that with Christmas just a few strokes of the clock away and New Year’s and Resolutions just around the corner, that it is the perfect time for self reflection and this particular flaw is one that I know I will take the time to reflect on. On the flip side, for me, I find I defend, with the same amount of passion, a person I like – the other side of the coin of anger to those we disagree with. So perhaps I should work towards balance.

2. Sejin says:

Awesome post which helps clarify why our judgmental nature is dangerous. I constantly need to pray against this stronghold.

3. Jamie P Moon says:

President Obama doesn’t oppose family, dogs, nor asians but he does oppose human rights and civil liberties.

He is the first president to assassinate American citizens and is about to sign the NDAA that would allow the infinite detention of American citizens.

We don’t have to hate, but we can oppose policies that do not promote shalom.

30 US open secrets that may be of interest to you. Come to your own conclusions but here are some facts: http://bit.ly/rOvTuO

God bless and peace.

4. MA says:

Love the final sentance: “We are bound to one another” that is some serious responsiblity but so beautiful.

Hey there are worse Political Christmas cards in circulation… http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com/notitas-de-noticias/details/puerto-rico-gov-jorge-santini-christmas-card-wrong-picture-video/12610/

• jp says:

Responsibility, yes, and I doubt most are willing to live up to it, as I know that most do not care about their fellow human being, unless it is of importance to themselves. As the optimist that I try to be, unfortunately, I have to continually live being the realist.

The president is politics, nothing more…He is not a symbol of America, never will be, nor should be. If he were Jesus, then I would have expectations of him, but since he is no different than you or me, I see him as a pawn, just as we all are. The only difference that will ever be made is in our own hearts and how we live to reflect The Truth!

• jp says:

Oh, and if I were president, I would send a card to every one of my fellow citizens, not only those I felt privileged enough to receive. The fact that any man on this planet can believe himself or herself more privileged than another flies in the face of true humanity. Such people do not understand the true nature of serving, whether is be God or mankind.

We continually live in an elitest society, rather than one that has continually been defined by God as being mutually beneficial to all. Though I must wait for the ideal, I will continually pursue such ideals in our physical world to extent that I can prevail.

5. Jamie P Moon says:

Sorry, I made a few edits.

He is the first president to assassinate American citizens and is about to sign the NDAA that would allow the infinite detention of American citizens without due process. “President Obama cannot even justify this serious threat to basic rights on the basis of security…President Obama will go down in history as the president who enshrined indefinite detention without trial in US law.” —Human Rights Watch

We don’t have to hate, but we can oppose policies that do not promote shalom, while still praying for positive change.

God bless and peace.

6. Kyle says:

Great perspective and true to the point that hate and biasses can be the ultimate blinder to reality!

PS> Not a fan of Obama, but I would agree on the lack of relevence the holiday card has in determining his views. Instead, I prefer to base my perspective on the actual policies and direction of his presidency.

7. Carrie says:

I agree with you on this…there is nothing more biased than one’s view on politics. Our perception, life experiences, etc. can’t help but be a pervasive filter. May humility always be our motivator.

• jp says:

Well, then, might you think about being nonpartisan in order to control your own bias? It is only when we allow one’s ego to have major influence on decisions, when politics are relative and bias…Otherwise, it is as our founding fathers and our true Father desires. A government, by the people and for the people. There is no place for partisanship in truth! There is absolute truth, whether we understand or attain it.

If our government was truly intended for the betterment of our society, it would not be based on two parties who would decide the ultimate fate of 100’s of millions of people.

8. Stephen says:

You lost me at ‘I actually like Sarah Palin’ 😉 jk … Kinda. Anyways, off to lunch in Russia.

9. JBen says:

It gets even more fun when you try to analyze Fox News’ christmas card. Particularly given their focus on the “war on christmas.”

10. Mark Wiley says:

Evidently the white house is going to the dogs :-).

11. SJ says:

I see both you and the President has been captive by the ethos of the time. I wish both of you realize to escape from it so than real issue can be present to the lives of people.

12. Ben L says:

“I know that politics are important because it informs policies which ultimately, impact people – and I fear, people that are often under-represented.” one of my fav quotes…..good post concise, peppered with humor. makes the “medicine” taste a little better of sorts…….more love indeed.

13. Kathryn Sciba says:

I love a good peacemaker! Merry Christmas, PE!!!

14. Jamie P Moon says:

Blessed are the peacemakers, but don’t forget to pray for the thousands of innocent lives killed under the name of the U.S. whom many in the world associate with Christianity. E.g. Obama’s war in Libya without congressional approval and his funding of children soldiers in Yemen and Congo to chase after Al Quada.

15. Rob says:

I’m just jealous I didn’t get one.

dang, that sinful human nature! 🙂

16. Jamie P Moon says:

Critical thinking skills of recognizing mass deception tactics 101. Recognize them:

1) In order to deceive and distract attention away from your self or something else for whatever reason, direct attention to fools to make yourself more credible. This way, you can also suppress any truth revealed by those found guilty by association. Hypothetical Eg) Kim Jong-Un points out a South Korea clown who is anti-juche and then all North Koreans laugh happy they’re not like them. Or how Pharisees tried to discredit the message of John the Baptist b/c he didn’t drink or discredit Jesus b/c he hung around ‘sinners.’

2) To come across as loving and morally superior and more popular, but still want to take a jab at someone, reveal the bad or foolish remarks made of that person and say how we should love them. Eg. Let’s have a prayer meeting… well this person did this and that, but b/c we’re such loving people, let us love her. Then you get applauded for being morally superior and you get to spread ad rehash the news that you want to really propagate.

3) Propagate a false dichotomy sub-plot so that people will always have to support you b/c you’ve made it seem the seemingly alternative is worse. However, the reality may be that the issue is multi-layered and the solution may be comprehensive in strategy or deeper than one thinks. Right/Left wing sham in the U.S. when really talk to anyone who lived since WW2, that it’s all a sham.

As soon as the division between church and state become blurred as the state with their enormous resources put pressures on community representatives, now CNN’s and Fox’s sub-plots now exist in the world. Pastors and the church have been hijacked.

Don’t fall victim to it.. keep an open mind that the lens the state tries to see is a false lens.

17. Rolf Hammersborg says:

Mitch Daniels didn’t say “God bless.” He doesn’t believe in God.

18. […] C’mon. Just because you don’t like Romney doesn’t mean he hates 47% of Americans. Just because you don’t like President Obama doesn’t mean that he opposes family, faith, freedom, white dogs, Asians, and human beings. […]

19. […] C’mon. Just because you don’t like Romney doesn’t mean he hates 47 percent of Americans. Just because you don’t like Pres. Obama doesn’t mean he opposes family, faith, freedom, white dogs, Asians and human beings. […]

20. […] C’mon. Just because you don’t like Romney doesn’t mean he hates 47 percent of Americans. Just because you don’t like Pres. Obama doesn’t mean he opposes family, faith, freedom, white dogs, Asians and human beings. […]

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working