my new professional look?

Do you ever feel like it’s time for a change?

I was hoping to lose about 20 pounds during my sabbatical. Easier said than done so I chopped off my hair and shaved – most of it. So, at least…I look 20 pounds lighter.

I shaved everything but my mustache (& soul patch) and walked out of the bathroom and literally, my girls screamed in horror, Jedi was just confused, and my wife was speechless.

Speechless as in not, “Wow, you take my breath away” but rather,

“Really? Really?”

She did later say that I looked like Nacho Libre.

What? Nacho Libre?

Dang. After 15 years of marriage, I guess anything goes.😉

As I get ready to return to Quest at the end of September and for 2012, I’ve received blessings from my church board and community to increase my speaking engagements from 6-8x/year to 15x/year, I’m considering this new professional look.

I told Minhee that I’d just keep the Nacho Libre Tom Selleck look only for the duration of the sabbatical (1 more month). Her opinion is all that matters but I think she’s warming up to the mustache. Or at least, that’s what I keep telling myself.

Perhaps, if she reads how hundreds after hundreds of people love the look, she’ll be keen to it. Maybe someone can start a petition on Change.Org. Someone needs to tell her I’m a trailblazer and trendsetter.

Or I could do my smooth strategizing and give her the option of my Keith Green tribute look (below).

I know. I know. It’s narcissism at it’s best or…is it the worst. Regardless,

what do you think of my new professional mustache look?

Filed under: , ,

1. Karen says:

Sorry, Nacho, I have to agree with your wise wife. This look may cause a church divide.😉

2. Linda says:

Nacho it is! They are good at the ball park only!

3. catesongbird says:

Go for it! Nacho is one of my favorite fictional characters.🙂 Be you. Do you!

4. chad says:

the other Nacho didn’t have no Raybans. you are the Pac NW’s own dude. (and certainly 20 lbs lighter to start with than the than the other Nacho).

and yes, I refer to “the other nacho”
    go on with what’s working for ya

5. Joe says:

I say bring back the Keith Green look!!!

6. sam myung says:

naCHO??? i say E-Chooooooooooooooooo!!!!

7. Eric says:

At least your wife didn’t use the word “creepy” to describe your mustache.

8. Jennifer says:

It’s only for a month. Keep it!

9. levittmike says:

Go buy a Detroit Tigers cap, to fully roll with the Selleck look.

Blessings on your weekend!

10. Josh says:

Go for it. I love that it was Nacho Libre your wife identified you with. I just hope you don’t baptize like him:

11. annshi says:

how about just the stache, no soul patch? and make the stache upturned?🙂 .. just sayin, since you’re already experimenting…

12. Garrett says:

At least Nacho saved the orphans. LOL.

13. Peter Chou says:

Less Nacho more Village People.

14. Miguel says:

eugene, i think it’s the glasses that save the day. without them, that ‘stache and ‘patch gets you in trouble!

15. Leo says:

can you make the stache go up-side-down and wear it to the wedding? Erika loves surprises.

16. It’s definitely a look! One you could probably pull off. For my aesthetics of facial hair its the soul patch that makes it work. I advise against going with just the ‘stache – no good can come from that.😉

17. annshi says:

yes, but if you’re going to look ridiculous, you might as well go all out. also, http://www.infographicsshowcase.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/beards-infographic.jpg

18. Jenny@NCNY says:

You look creepie…

19. Jay says:

Nah – it actually suits u. WIth the glasses it looks v. hipster and not everyone can pull it off. I say since ur on sabattical, maybe there’s time to experiment – go for the Robert Downey Junior ironman goatee!

20. Lori says:

You look very handsome. Three votes of Nacho Libre, whoever that is.

21. Hilarious! Nacho Libre is one of my favorites…

22. daniel so says:

is it too late to vote? because nothing says, “serious preacher” than a hulk hogan-style handlebar moustache😀

23. dmbaldwin says:

I think you look great. In 1993 I wanted to do the same thing. I needed to lose 75 pounds and did by the following year. I knew I wanted to shave off my beard that fall, but wanted to do it on a day I would remember. So I chose Christmas Day 1993. After opening up stocking gifts while my wife was getting breakfast ready I went into the bathroom and shaved it all off. When I came out my kids were screaming and my wife was so disappointed because it made me look like my brother (that’s another story). However over the years they’ve gotten used to it!
    You look great Eugene. I am proud of you.
    Blessings,
    Dave

24. Michael says:

Eugene, your wife is always always always right.

25. Even if you are right, you are wrong because the wife is always right. If this point is disputed we are sent to our 2nd home. The dog house.

Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it. I don't care if it sounds mushy but sunsets are one of my love languages. Seoul, Korea was amazing but WOW...what a breathtaking welcome back sunset by Seattle. Not ready to let go of summer. Seattle. 7:00pm. Desperately holding on to summer. #goldengardenpark #nofilter Happy Birthday, Minhee! I'm so grateful for you. You radiate faith, hope, and love.  No...you don't complete me. That would be silly and simply humanly impossible but you keep pointing me and our family to Christ who informs and transforms our lives, marriage, family, and ministry. Thanks for being so faithful. I love you so much. (* And what a gift to be in Korea together.)