the next book i’m reading…

I’ve got a simple post today with a simple question. No need to argue, debate, or go into any dramatic existential thought process about “Who am I?” or about Faith & Politics.

Anyway, it’s a simple question and everyone that reads this post needs to share an answer. There is no exception today since today is 100% Community Participation Day. [I just made that up…]

This (picture above) is the next book I’m reading. It’s been sitting in my office in a pile of about another 50 books. I’m not writing a review. It’s not an advertisement. I’ve never met the author (yet). I just thought it be a good read – particularly in my quest to read a “non-obligatory book for myself kind of book” per month this year.

How about you?

What’s the next book for you?

Filed under:

1. Eric says:

I’m a seminary student, so reading a book that isn’t related to a class is a bit of a luxury right now. But one book that has been recommended to me a by a faculty member from a former professor of the seminary is “The God who cares: A Christian looks at Judaism” by Fred Holmgren. It is not a how to in converting Jews but rather an intro for Christians about who the Jews are as a religious people group that is void of historical stereotypes.

2. dmbaldwin says:

Hey Eugene,

Just bought the book on Kindle. Can’t wait to read it. This is what LifePoint is becoming all about! Thanks so much for the tip.
    Hope all is well with you and your family.
    Blessings,
    Dave

3. Haha, that is actually the next book I am ordering! The next book I am reading is The Leadership Ellipse.

4. Jared Yaple says:

I read through “The Dangerous Act of Loving Your Neighbor” a couple of months ago. It is written to be slowly digested, bit by bit. I hope you enjoy it!

I’m currently reading “Who Is My Neighbor?” by Wayne Gordon, “The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt’s Darkest Journey” by Candice Millard, and “Soulful Spirituality: Becoming Fully Alive and Deeply Human” by David G. Benner.

Have a great weekend!

Jared

5. Pat says:

Next up for me is Anam Cara, by John O’Donohue. I have to finish the four I’m currently reading first🙂

(You should get onto Goodreads.com – social and books! winner!)

6. mellocello says:

I didn’t know he had a new book! Dr. Labberton was our pastor at First Pres Berkeley for many years before we moved to Seattle. I enjoyed his first book quite a bit. He passed those out as party favors for coming to church one Sunday!

7. Jason says:

“For Whom The Bell Tolls” By Hemingway

8. Tyler says:

The next book for me is “The Gospel in a Pluralist Society” by Newbigin.

9. I’m currently reading Warrior Princess by Princess Kasune Zulu, in preparation for my global partnership trip to Zambia! It’s so refreshing to read a book at my leisure, and at the same time learn about something I’m excited about. I love it.

10. daniel so says:

Currently reading “The Missional Mom” by Helen Lee. Even though I’m not a mom, I’m really enjoying it!

11. BenKendrew says:

Almost Christian by Kenda Creasy Dean…incredible book that the Church should read.

12. Deb says:

“Fannie’s Last Supper” after I finish “River of Lost Footsteps” which I just started…

13. pc says:

If you have the time to plow through the hundreds of pages, Mark Twain’s Autoiography (vol. 1) is highly entertaining. Short passages you can pick up and put down for ease of reading.😉

14. jchenwa says:

Either Prophet by Frank Perretti or Landscaping for Dummies.

15. dongtituskim says:

Recently finished “A Faith of Our Own: Second-Generation Spirituality in Korean American Churches” by Sharon Kim.

Thinking of starting “The Drama of Doctrine” by Kevin Vanhoozer

16. Its always to hear about a good book. I just finished Henri Nouwen’s “The Return of the Prodigal Son,” and would recommend it to anyone.

17. Steve says:

I’m reading Proust was a Neuroscientist by Jonah Lehrer. It’s a very approachable thesis on the role of authors in creating leeway for science to test accepted boundaries. Too often, science is an arrogant pursuit – proving to oneself what is, or what is not – of the knowable. In this book, Lehrer demonstrates how imaginative writers can give the scientific minds room to consider challenging their hard and fast ‘laws.’ Fascinating.

18. After I finish The Kingdom of God is Within You, by Leo Tolstoy, I’m looking forward to Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal, by Christopher Moore. Also, check out openlibrary.org to sign out ebooks!

19. […] Eugene Cho posts simply that he wanted his readers to know that he’s currently reading The Dangerous Act of Loving Your Neighbor: Seeing Others Through the Eyes of Jesus by Mark Labberton. […]

20. Abby says:

As a staff at my work we’ve started reading Switch by Dan and Chip Heath which has been good so far and interesting to discuss as a staff! Personally I’m about to start reading Who Is My Neighbor?: Lessons Learned From a Man Left for Dead by Wayne Gordon.

First day of our daughter's college years at this great school. We love you. We're so proud of you.We believe in you. Go Huskies. Go Dawgs. And also, beat Stanford this Friday. As I soaked in this breathtaking sunrise this morning above the clouds, I felt compelled to pray for so my places in America and around the world that are experiencing such pain, heartache, injustice, and violence. At times, it feels so overwhelming but in prayer, I was reminded of these words from John 16:33. As we keep striving, working, hoping, preaching, loving, truthtelling, reconciling, repenting, forgiving, dismantling, peacemaking, Kingdom building...may we fix our eyes on Christ: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33 Grateful for a very full weekend of ministry and preaching in Toronto, Canada (GTA). Such a privilege to partner with @worldvisioncan @wvcollective to advocate for the most vulnerable around the world. God is so gracious. A true honor to meet and encourage local pastors, lecture at Tyndale University & Seminary (photo), and preach at Richmond Hills Community Church, Compass Point Bible Church, and New City Church. Thank you, Lord, that you use broken and imperfect people like me to speak of Your love. Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it.