beauty and the beast: 14th anniversary

On February 1, 1997, Minhee and I exchanged vows and committed ourselves to Christ, one another, our families and community –  the journey of loving, serving, and growing as husband and wife, father and mother, and mutual followers of Christ.

Today, we celebrate our 14th anniversary.

I know that it is customary [and wise] to speak well of your spouse on your anniversary but Minhee truly is an expression and embodiment of God’s grace and beauty to my life. Our marriage – while clearly not perfect – remains focused on the three pillars I often share with others:

Passion.  Vision.  Mission.

Here’s our wedding photo that still continues to amaze people. Minhee looks her usual photogenic self and I’ve been told I look “very different” – so different that people ask if it’s her “first husband.”

wedding-003-copy.jpg

And here are couple reasons why some refer to us as

“The Beauty and the Beast…”

Why they would refer to Minhee as “the beast” is beyond me. 😉

We’ve learned a great deal and have much more to learn. We’ve loved and have much to love. Last year, I wrote a post and taught a sermon (with Minhee) about some of our best & worst practices and decisions in marriage.

Marriage is important. And while I’ve had the great privilege of officiating numerous weddings, I’ve also experienced the devastation of destructive relationships, marriages and divorce.  There’s just too much at stake to worry about your self-preservation and projection.

And it’s not just merely for the sake of others. Marriage is important to Minhee and me. She was a counselor when I first met her nearly 16 years ago and she is pursuing another Masters degree – the current one in Marriage and Family Therapy. But this isn’t about being a pastor or a marriage counselor, marriage is important to us because we have a covenant with God and with one another as husband and wife.

You can watch the entire sermon below but here are the three biggest mistakes I’ve made in our marriage:

Solo Decisions & Convincing

This is pretty dumb and insulting. My wife and I are a team but there have been several occasions where I’ll basically make a decision on my own and then I’ll take it to Minhee and attempt to spin it as a group decision when what I’m doing is…trying to convince her to agree to my decision.

Who can resonate with this?

A Secret – aka Lying

During the 2nd year of our marriage, I made one of my worst decisions that to this day, I’m not quite sure why I made that decision. Bluntly, I lied. I made a financial decision alone (see above) but this time, I withheld it from my wife until that financial decision backfired and I had no choice but to tell her.

The incident set us back and devastated Minhee. It wasn’t the financial aspect that she was distraught over but the fact that in essence, I had lied to her. Needless to say, we had some very intense conversations and I needed to apologize, repent, and re-build trust.

Don’t lie. And don’t have secrets.

Not being fully present

As a long time recovering workaholic, it’s easy for my mind to wander about ministry, cafe, church, ODW, my ‘to-do’ lists, etc. On top of that, I’m equipped with my smartphone – both an ally and an enemy. While I’ve gotten much better, I’ve made the mistake in my marriage of not being fully present when we’re together and that’s not cool.

Not cool at all.

Here’s the sermon we taught together last year about some of our best and worst:

Filed under: , ,

1. Sandy Dobbins says:

Would love to see you and John to do something like this at church.

2. mo says:

those are great reminders. congrats man. Glad you cut your hair 🙂

3. Cliff says:

Very good pointers about the mistakes, one needs to remember those and whatever more comes our way.

4. dmbaldwin says:

What a GREAT team. Congratulations on this 14 year anniversary.
    Blessings,

Dave Baldwin

5. You do look pretty different. 90sriffic different vs. 2010sies different On a serious note, congratulations to you both!

6. Drew A. says:

Congrats! And thanks for posting – these are helpful pointers.

7. jackdanger says:

Wow, congratulations Eugene (and Minhee) on 14 years. That’s quite an accomplishment.

8. I really appreciate your candidness. Congrats and may the next 14 years be better than the last.

9. Jason says:

Happy Anniversary and may you be blessed with many more.

10. Ai Li says:

Thank you for sharing your life. Been so blessed by you. One question though, how do u fight constructively?

My Padawan. My son. My youngest. Encouraging him to not just hit the hoop courts but also the books. Minhee and I met these college boys when we first arrived in Seattle in 1997. They were part of our bible study that we led in our apartment for college students. They were also among the group of 7 people that helped start @seattlequest.

Much has changed in the world...but not their friendship and love. Thank you Jin and George. We love and honor you. These are crazy times in our country and larger world but nevertheless, we're going to keep pursuing the things that God has placed upon our hearts. We're pressing forward...doing our part to reflect mercy, compassion, and justice - locally and globally.

Wednesdays are my @onedayswages office day and I especially love the culmination of hard work for our interns, volunteers, 2 full-time staff, and board as we collaborate with our NGO partners. This week, we signed these checks as we granted out over $75,000 to provide better health care for mothers and their families in Mali and Nepal.

THANK YOU for making this possible Your classic play it cool because you're visiting your old stomping grounds at Princeton and pretend you're not cold but in actuality, you're freezing picture. 20 years, 2 weeks, and counting. What a journey with this woman. I love her...and I want to keep growing in love, honor, and respect. Great to catch up with @jlin7 in Brooklyn at the Nets game. Grateful for his partnership with @onedayswages to support our Girls' Empowerment Fund. The season hasn't been what he hoped for with major injuries...but we can't wait to see you back on the court soon and do what you do. Stay encouraged, brother. Thanks for your faithful witness for Christ.

• Shine a light on the evil of modern slavery. May it also challenge US with where we shop, what we eat, how we embod… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 hours ago
  • The best way to become a better storyteller...is to simply live a more honest, deeper, and faithful life. || 1 day ago
  • My Padawan. My son. My youngest. Encouraging him to not just hit the courts but also the books. instagram.com/p/BQ1MClRgHxK/ || 1 day ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 1 day ago
  • The statement,"Theology doesn't matter.I just want to love Jesus!" is in itself a theological statement & proof why theology really matters. || 2 days ago
  • Never forget. 75 years ago today (2/19/42), the USA govt issued Executive Order 9066 to send 120,000 Japanese Ameri… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 days ago