umm, maybe yoga is demonic. :)

There are more important discussions to be had than about whether or not Yoga is demonic. But apparently, folks got a rise out of my post last week entitled, “Is Yoga Demonic?”

Is it or is it not?

Well, you’re asking the wrong question but…

[As I shared before…] The problem is that we’re trying to exegete complex aspects of culture with very simplistic and black/white paradigms. To try to imply that there’s such a thing called a “pure” practice of Christianity is well…incorrect. The Gospel enters into a context and culture and will inevitably take various forms, nuances, and changes – particularly, over generations and generations. In one sense, I could make a case that we’re all syncretists in some way.

I’d like to think that God is a little bigger than our simplistic views. But I’m thinking of taking back my gracious interpretation of Yoga after seeing this video.

Have you heard of or seen this video below called Christoga?

Seriously, this looks scary and demonic especially the voices and the poofy jacket collar. 😉

And just in case you’re wondering, that is indeed Janine Turner from Northern Exposure.

Filed under:

1. Why oh why does it have to be cheesy? It almost seems like that is a requirement for “Christian” products.

2. cathysfiddle says:

I kinda like it, if it were an audio tape. But, collogen lips …. shudder.

3. Tony Lin says:

Hey, I have a Christian product I want to push: The Christian Ouija board!

4. Gina says:

Did I just hear “salvation rotation”?

5. I did a yoga post last week too. Wow, it nearly got out of hand. Way more reaction than I expected. Apparently, it’s at the top of everyone’s list to debate.

6. dura mater says:

Hi. I’m glad you came back with this post, because I didn’t have a chance to respond to the first one.

I used to practice yoga a lot, and I really enjoyed it. I loved the way it made my body feel, and I loved the blissful emotional state it put me in. Then I hurt my back, doing yoga. I know that’s not supposed to happen, but it did. I did physical therapy, eager to get back to yoga. I restarted, gently, but hurt my back again. Again, I rested, did PT, restarted gently, and again I hurt my back. After a while, I started to wonder “Am I not supposed to do yoga?”

I read about spiritual aspects of yoga, and talked to pastors & friends. I found it really hard to believe that Christians were”anti-yoga.” A pastoral councilor friend said she thought yoga was “not spiritually neutral.” I had a hard time accepting that, because I really wanted to do yoga, because it felt so good. Finally, recurrent, severe back pain stopped me, and I just gave up trying to find a rationalization for practicing yoga.

After a couple of years of no yoga, the reason not to do it hit me. Yoga is a Hindu spiritual discipline. Should I really be spending my time engaging in a Hindu spiritual discipline? Even if it feels really good?

• Andy M says:

Muslims pray, so should Christians not pray because it is a Islamic spiritual discipline? There are various Christian practices that are similar to the practices of other religions, so you cannot throw things out just because some other religion does it. The question is whether there is truth in it or not, and is it good? I believe that if something is true or good, then it is of God.

Like most things in our lives, Yoga I think will have true and good things as part of it, but it will also have it’s faults. Our job isn’t to throw it all out because it has some faults, but to embrace the good and true parts and reject what isn’t true or good.

The question that comes to mind at the moment is, when you practiced Yoga, were you praying to a different god? Were you making sacrifices or promises to a different god? Were you in any way denying or rejecting the Christian God, faith, or Church? If yes, then it was not spiritually neutral, but if your answer is no, then there is no theologically based reason for you to stop doing Yoga.

I’m sorry that you can’t do Yoga because of your back.

7. Esther says:

this is kinda creepy.

8. Chris Bryan says:

“In one sense, I could make a case that we’re all syncretists in some way.”

Funny you should mention! I really agree, and tried to make that same case a little while ago, with reference to the history of Christianity in China. Here’s the link:

9. g says:

Wassup with the all the funky crosses, candles, and cho-cho lips?! Scary indeed.

Been doing bikram (hot) yoga for almost 2 years and I’m probably in the best physical health of my life, not to mention the quiet moments I get to think. I did a lot of martial arts as a kid, and I haven’t grown a set of horns or a tail yet either. Ha!

10. Wayne Park says:

LOL – I always liked that Northern Exposure chick…

Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor. It's a sad reality but our society runs on the currency of fear. Don't feed into this frenzy.

Rather, invest in faith, hope, and love.