umm, maybe yoga is demonic. :)

There are more important discussions to be had than about whether or not Yoga is demonic. But apparently, folks got a rise out of my post last week entitled, “Is Yoga Demonic?”

Is it or is it not?

Well, you’re asking the wrong question but…

[As I shared before…] The problem is that we’re trying to exegete complex aspects of culture with very simplistic and black/white paradigms. To try to imply that there’s such a thing called a “pure” practice of Christianity is well…incorrect. The Gospel enters into a context and culture and will inevitably take various forms, nuances, and changes – particularly, over generations and generations. In one sense, I could make a case that we’re all syncretists in some way.

I’d like to think that God is a little bigger than our simplistic views. But I’m thinking of taking back my gracious interpretation of Yoga after seeing this video.

Have you heard of or seen this video below called Christoga?

Seriously, this looks scary and demonic especially the voices and the poofy jacket collar. 😉

And just in case you’re wondering, that is indeed Janine Turner from Northern Exposure.

Filed under:

1. Why oh why does it have to be cheesy? It almost seems like that is a requirement for “Christian” products.

2. cathysfiddle says:

I kinda like it, if it were an audio tape. But, collogen lips …. shudder.

3. Tony Lin says:

Hey, I have a Christian product I want to push: The Christian Ouija board!

4. Gina says:

Did I just hear “salvation rotation”?

5. I did a yoga post last week too. Wow, it nearly got out of hand. Way more reaction than I expected. Apparently, it’s at the top of everyone’s list to debate.

6. dura mater says:

Hi. I’m glad you came back with this post, because I didn’t have a chance to respond to the first one.

I used to practice yoga a lot, and I really enjoyed it. I loved the way it made my body feel, and I loved the blissful emotional state it put me in. Then I hurt my back, doing yoga. I know that’s not supposed to happen, but it did. I did physical therapy, eager to get back to yoga. I restarted, gently, but hurt my back again. Again, I rested, did PT, restarted gently, and again I hurt my back. After a while, I started to wonder “Am I not supposed to do yoga?”

I read about spiritual aspects of yoga, and talked to pastors & friends. I found it really hard to believe that Christians were”anti-yoga.” A pastoral councilor friend said she thought yoga was “not spiritually neutral.” I had a hard time accepting that, because I really wanted to do yoga, because it felt so good. Finally, recurrent, severe back pain stopped me, and I just gave up trying to find a rationalization for practicing yoga.

After a couple of years of no yoga, the reason not to do it hit me. Yoga is a Hindu spiritual discipline. Should I really be spending my time engaging in a Hindu spiritual discipline? Even if it feels really good?

• Andy M says:

Muslims pray, so should Christians not pray because it is a Islamic spiritual discipline? There are various Christian practices that are similar to the practices of other religions, so you cannot throw things out just because some other religion does it. The question is whether there is truth in it or not, and is it good? I believe that if something is true or good, then it is of God.

Like most things in our lives, Yoga I think will have true and good things as part of it, but it will also have it’s faults. Our job isn’t to throw it all out because it has some faults, but to embrace the good and true parts and reject what isn’t true or good.

The question that comes to mind at the moment is, when you practiced Yoga, were you praying to a different god? Were you making sacrifices or promises to a different god? Were you in any way denying or rejecting the Christian God, faith, or Church? If yes, then it was not spiritually neutral, but if your answer is no, then there is no theologically based reason for you to stop doing Yoga.

I’m sorry that you can’t do Yoga because of your back.

7. Esther says:

this is kinda creepy.

8. Chris Bryan says:

“In one sense, I could make a case that we’re all syncretists in some way.”

Funny you should mention! I really agree, and tried to make that same case a little while ago, with reference to the history of Christianity in China. Here’s the link:

9. g says:

Wassup with the all the funky crosses, candles, and cho-cho lips?! Scary indeed.

Been doing bikram (hot) yoga for almost 2 years and I’m probably in the best physical health of my life, not to mention the quiet moments I get to think. I did a lot of martial arts as a kid, and I haven’t grown a set of horns or a tail yet either. Ha!

10. Wayne Park says:

LOL – I always liked that Northern Exposure chick…

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• The meaning of Memorial Day - through the eyes of my 81-yr-old father who was 14 yrs old when the Korean war began:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 8 hours ago
  • Remember the fallen. Honor our soldiers. Pray for leaders. And remember that we serve the Kingdom of God rather than the Empire of Nations. || 13 hours ago
  • We sometimes forget that heroes are real & ordinary people who demonstrate kindness & love. Thank you, Ricky Best &… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • In a world with much noise & clutter, we must create space to hear God's voice. Embrace solitude & silence. Sabbath. Pray. Listen. Breathe. || 3 days ago
  • "Being partisan is different than being political; discipleship means speaking into politics for common good." -… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 days ago
  • "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 5 days ago