umm, maybe yoga is demonic. :)

There are more important discussions to be had than about whether or not Yoga is demonic. But apparently, folks got a rise out of my post last week entitled, “Is Yoga Demonic?”

Is it or is it not?

Well, you’re asking the wrong question but…

[As I shared before…] The problem is that we’re trying to exegete complex aspects of culture with very simplistic and black/white paradigms. To try to imply that there’s such a thing called a “pure” practice of Christianity is well…incorrect. The Gospel enters into a context and culture and will inevitably take various forms, nuances, and changes – particularly, over generations and generations. In one sense, I could make a case that we’re all syncretists in some way.

I’d like to think that God is a little bigger than our simplistic views. But I’m thinking of taking back my gracious interpretation of Yoga after seeing this video.

Have you heard of or seen this video below called Christoga?

Seriously, this looks scary and demonic especially the voices and the poofy jacket collar. 😉

And just in case you’re wondering, that is indeed Janine Turner from Northern Exposure.

Filed under:

1. Why oh why does it have to be cheesy? It almost seems like that is a requirement for “Christian” products.

2. cathysfiddle says:

I kinda like it, if it were an audio tape. But, collogen lips …. shudder.

3. Tony Lin says:

Hey, I have a Christian product I want to push: The Christian Ouija board!

4. Gina says:

Did I just hear “salvation rotation”?

5. I did a yoga post last week too. Wow, it nearly got out of hand. Way more reaction than I expected. Apparently, it’s at the top of everyone’s list to debate.

6. dura mater says:

Hi. I’m glad you came back with this post, because I didn’t have a chance to respond to the first one.

I used to practice yoga a lot, and I really enjoyed it. I loved the way it made my body feel, and I loved the blissful emotional state it put me in. Then I hurt my back, doing yoga. I know that’s not supposed to happen, but it did. I did physical therapy, eager to get back to yoga. I restarted, gently, but hurt my back again. Again, I rested, did PT, restarted gently, and again I hurt my back. After a while, I started to wonder “Am I not supposed to do yoga?”

I read about spiritual aspects of yoga, and talked to pastors & friends. I found it really hard to believe that Christians were”anti-yoga.” A pastoral councilor friend said she thought yoga was “not spiritually neutral.” I had a hard time accepting that, because I really wanted to do yoga, because it felt so good. Finally, recurrent, severe back pain stopped me, and I just gave up trying to find a rationalization for practicing yoga.

After a couple of years of no yoga, the reason not to do it hit me. Yoga is a Hindu spiritual discipline. Should I really be spending my time engaging in a Hindu spiritual discipline? Even if it feels really good?

• Andy M says:

Muslims pray, so should Christians not pray because it is a Islamic spiritual discipline? There are various Christian practices that are similar to the practices of other religions, so you cannot throw things out just because some other religion does it. The question is whether there is truth in it or not, and is it good? I believe that if something is true or good, then it is of God.

Like most things in our lives, Yoga I think will have true and good things as part of it, but it will also have it’s faults. Our job isn’t to throw it all out because it has some faults, but to embrace the good and true parts and reject what isn’t true or good.

The question that comes to mind at the moment is, when you practiced Yoga, were you praying to a different god? Were you making sacrifices or promises to a different god? Were you in any way denying or rejecting the Christian God, faith, or Church? If yes, then it was not spiritually neutral, but if your answer is no, then there is no theologically based reason for you to stop doing Yoga.

I’m sorry that you can’t do Yoga because of your back.

7. Esther says:

this is kinda creepy.

8. Chris Bryan says:

“In one sense, I could make a case that we’re all syncretists in some way.”

Funny you should mention! I really agree, and tried to make that same case a little while ago, with reference to the history of Christianity in China. Here’s the link:

9. g says:

Wassup with the all the funky crosses, candles, and cho-cho lips?! Scary indeed.

Been doing bikram (hot) yoga for almost 2 years and I’m probably in the best physical health of my life, not to mention the quiet moments I get to think. I did a lot of martial arts as a kid, and I haven’t grown a set of horns or a tail yet either. Ha!

10. Wayne Park says:

LOL – I always liked that Northern Exposure chick…

The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.

Taking a break from the sabbatical...to partner in ministry in Denver at Cherry Hills Church and at the CRU staff conference. It was such a gift to be able to encourage a handful of folks one-to-one, a small group of Asian-American leaders from EPIC, and the larger group of 5000 staff during one of the sessions.

I've been personally blessed, challenged, encouraged, exhorted, and convicted by so many who have poured into my life - friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - and I hope to do that for others as I seek to be faithful to Christ.

Thank you, Lord.
#cru17 Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns.

• The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. || 19 hours ago
  • Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. instagram.com/p/BW-64QmA3ji/ || 20 hours ago
  • RT @bj116: Love without Truth leads to liberalism. Truth without love leads to legalism. But Truth working with Love leads to a Gospel tran… || 2 days ago
  • There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others. || 3 days ago
  • Nature is one of my love languages. - instagram.com/p/BW0uNlng0If/ || 4 days ago
  • Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it. Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. || 6 days ago