umm, maybe yoga is demonic. :)

There are more important discussions to be had than about whether or not Yoga is demonic. But apparently, folks got a rise out of my post last week entitled, “Is Yoga Demonic?”

Is it or is it not?

Well, you’re asking the wrong question but…

[As I shared before…] The problem is that we’re trying to exegete complex aspects of culture with very simplistic and black/white paradigms. To try to imply that there’s such a thing called a “pure” practice of Christianity is well…incorrect. The Gospel enters into a context and culture and will inevitably take various forms, nuances, and changes – particularly, over generations and generations. In one sense, I could make a case that we’re all syncretists in some way.

I’d like to think that God is a little bigger than our simplistic views. But I’m thinking of taking back my gracious interpretation of Yoga after seeing this video.

Have you heard of or seen this video below called Christoga?

Seriously, this looks scary and demonic especially the voices and the poofy jacket collar. 😉

And just in case you’re wondering, that is indeed Janine Turner from Northern Exposure.

Filed under:

1. Why oh why does it have to be cheesy? It almost seems like that is a requirement for “Christian” products.

2. cathysfiddle says:

I kinda like it, if it were an audio tape. But, collogen lips …. shudder.

3. Tony Lin says:

Hey, I have a Christian product I want to push: The Christian Ouija board!

4. Gina says:

Did I just hear “salvation rotation”?

5. I did a yoga post last week too. Wow, it nearly got out of hand. Way more reaction than I expected. Apparently, it’s at the top of everyone’s list to debate.

6. dura mater says:

Hi. I’m glad you came back with this post, because I didn’t have a chance to respond to the first one.

I used to practice yoga a lot, and I really enjoyed it. I loved the way it made my body feel, and I loved the blissful emotional state it put me in. Then I hurt my back, doing yoga. I know that’s not supposed to happen, but it did. I did physical therapy, eager to get back to yoga. I restarted, gently, but hurt my back again. Again, I rested, did PT, restarted gently, and again I hurt my back. After a while, I started to wonder “Am I not supposed to do yoga?”

I read about spiritual aspects of yoga, and talked to pastors & friends. I found it really hard to believe that Christians were”anti-yoga.” A pastoral councilor friend said she thought yoga was “not spiritually neutral.” I had a hard time accepting that, because I really wanted to do yoga, because it felt so good. Finally, recurrent, severe back pain stopped me, and I just gave up trying to find a rationalization for practicing yoga.

After a couple of years of no yoga, the reason not to do it hit me. Yoga is a Hindu spiritual discipline. Should I really be spending my time engaging in a Hindu spiritual discipline? Even if it feels really good?

• Andy M says:

Muslims pray, so should Christians not pray because it is a Islamic spiritual discipline? There are various Christian practices that are similar to the practices of other religions, so you cannot throw things out just because some other religion does it. The question is whether there is truth in it or not, and is it good? I believe that if something is true or good, then it is of God.

Like most things in our lives, Yoga I think will have true and good things as part of it, but it will also have it’s faults. Our job isn’t to throw it all out because it has some faults, but to embrace the good and true parts and reject what isn’t true or good.

The question that comes to mind at the moment is, when you practiced Yoga, were you praying to a different god? Were you making sacrifices or promises to a different god? Were you in any way denying or rejecting the Christian God, faith, or Church? If yes, then it was not spiritually neutral, but if your answer is no, then there is no theologically based reason for you to stop doing Yoga.

I’m sorry that you can’t do Yoga because of your back.

7. Esther says:

this is kinda creepy.

8. Chris Bryan says:

“In one sense, I could make a case that we’re all syncretists in some way.”

Funny you should mention! I really agree, and tried to make that same case a little while ago, with reference to the history of Christianity in China. Here’s the link:

9. g says:

Wassup with the all the funky crosses, candles, and cho-cho lips?! Scary indeed.

Been doing bikram (hot) yoga for almost 2 years and I’m probably in the best physical health of my life, not to mention the quiet moments I get to think. I did a lot of martial arts as a kid, and I haven’t grown a set of horns or a tail yet either. Ha!

10. Wayne Park says:

LOL – I always liked that Northern Exposure chick…

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working