my alter ego: batman

There are days I dream about being a superhero. Some days, it’s Superman, or a Jedi Knight, but there’s something about Batman that resonates with me. Perhaps, it’s because he’s actually not a real “super” hero. Perhaps, it has something to do with his troubled past, his angst, the tension, and his desire to kick arse and “do justice.”

I don’t know. Maybe…I like masks.

How about you? If you could be a superhero, who would you be and why?

The temptation for me is to simply dream and forget that

as an ordinary person, I can do courageous and inspiring things. I can love mercy, do justice, and walk humbly.

But while I’m thinking of my alter ego, I’d like to be married to this lady and do justice together…

photos: Leo Chen Photography

Filed under: , ,

1. David says:

Eugene–did you catch the video of the guys in NYC who do dress up as superheroes at night (they’ve all got their own made-up identities) and help rid the streets of drugs and protect people from theft and other crimes? I wish I had had the inspiration/courage to do some of that back in my single days.

And I’d like a Green Lantern power ring for Christmas, please.

Actually, I like Batman as well. I like that he doesn’t need any super powers. Just his smarts (and his millions of dollars). And he’s human in his fight against injustice. He has struggles. He fails sometimes. But he gets back up and keeps going.

2. pc says:

Batman is the coolest, but Superman is the greatest. Choices choices choices. Still, they have an admirable goal in common; they don’t want to see anybody else’s families die. I can get behind that.

3. darrel says:

I’ve always preferred *the* Batman. The angst from his parents’ death, his intelligence, the difficulty he has in close personal relationships, his discipline and fierce determination, his refusal to use a gun, and his dedication to physical training are all things to which I can relate.

4. Ben Lee says:

Batman has a lot of $$$. He probably has no debt and willing to donate to 1 Day Wages 😉

5. Ben@TIC says:

No one beats the God-Man!

6. Eugene – those are some classic shots! Wow. I love the facial hair with the Batman mask. BURLY!

7. Jimmy says:

Bruce Wayne should use his vast resources to stop hunger, give money to schools, and develop jobs (he does own a multi-national corporation after all).

8. mo says:

Id like to be Gizmoduck 🙂 he could change anytime he wanted, just by using those magic words.

My Padawan. My son. My youngest. Encouraging him to not just hit the hoop courts but also the books. Minhee and I met these college boys when we first arrived in Seattle in 1997. They were part of our bible study that we led in our apartment for college students. They were also among the group of 7 people that helped start @seattlequest.

Much has changed in the world...but not their friendship and love. Thank you Jin and George. We love and honor you. These are crazy times in our country and larger world but nevertheless, we're going to keep pursuing the things that God has placed upon our hearts. We're pressing forward...doing our part to reflect mercy, compassion, and justice - locally and globally.

Wednesdays are my @onedayswages office day and I especially love the culmination of hard work for our interns, volunteers, 2 full-time staff, and board as we collaborate with our NGO partners. This week, we signed these checks as we granted out over $75,000 to provide better health care for mothers and their families in Mali and Nepal.

THANK YOU for making this possible Your classic play it cool because you're visiting your old stomping grounds at Princeton and pretend you're not cold but in actuality, you're freezing picture. 20 years, 2 weeks, and counting. What a journey with this woman. I love her...and I want to keep growing in love, honor, and respect. Great to catch up with @jlin7 in Brooklyn at the Nets game. Grateful for his partnership with @onedayswages to support our Girls' Empowerment Fund. The season hasn't been what he hoped for with major injuries...but we can't wait to see you back on the court soon and do what you do. Stay encouraged, brother. Thanks for your faithful witness for Christ.

• Shine a light on the evil of modern slavery. May it also challenge US with where we shop, what we eat, how we embod… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 hours ago
  • The best way to become a better storyteller...is to simply live a more honest, deeper, and faithful life. || 1 day ago
  • My Padawan. My son. My youngest. Encouraging him to not just hit the courts but also the books. instagram.com/p/BQ1MClRgHxK/ || 1 day ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 1 day ago
  • The statement,"Theology doesn't matter.I just want to love Jesus!" is in itself a theological statement & proof why theology really matters. || 2 days ago
  • Never forget. 75 years ago today (2/19/42), the USA govt issued Executive Order 9066 to send 120,000 Japanese Ameri… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 days ago