my alter ego: batman

There are days I dream about being a superhero. Some days, it’s Superman, or a Jedi Knight, but there’s something about Batman that resonates with me. Perhaps, it’s because he’s actually not a real “super” hero. Perhaps, it has something to do with his troubled past, his angst, the tension, and his desire to kick arse and “do justice.”

I don’t know. Maybe…I like masks.

How about you? If you could be a superhero, who would you be and why?

The temptation for me is to simply dream and forget that

as an ordinary person, I can do courageous and inspiring things. I can love mercy, do justice, and walk humbly.

But while I’m thinking of my alter ego, I’d like to be married to this lady and do justice together…

photos: Leo Chen Photography

Filed under: , ,

1. David says:

Eugene–did you catch the video of the guys in NYC who do dress up as superheroes at night (they’ve all got their own made-up identities) and help rid the streets of drugs and protect people from theft and other crimes? I wish I had had the inspiration/courage to do some of that back in my single days.

And I’d like a Green Lantern power ring for Christmas, please.

Actually, I like Batman as well. I like that he doesn’t need any super powers. Just his smarts (and his millions of dollars). And he’s human in his fight against injustice. He has struggles. He fails sometimes. But he gets back up and keeps going.

2. pc says:

Batman is the coolest, but Superman is the greatest. Choices choices choices. Still, they have an admirable goal in common; they don’t want to see anybody else’s families die. I can get behind that.

3. darrel says:

I’ve always preferred *the* Batman. The angst from his parents’ death, his intelligence, the difficulty he has in close personal relationships, his discipline and fierce determination, his refusal to use a gun, and his dedication to physical training are all things to which I can relate.

4. Ben Lee says:

Batman has a lot of $$$. He probably has no debt and willing to donate to 1 Day Wages 😉

5. Ben@TIC says:

No one beats the God-Man!

6. Eugene – those are some classic shots! Wow. I love the facial hair with the Batman mask. BURLY!

7. Jimmy says:

Bruce Wayne should use his vast resources to stop hunger, give money to schools, and develop jobs (he does own a multi-national corporation after all).

8. mo says:

Id like to be Gizmoduck 🙂 he could change anytime he wanted, just by using those magic words.

"He Makes All Things New." In other words, Christ is our eternal hope. I'm sitting in my swinging bench on the comforts of my front porch after an exhilarating and exhausting day at church. It never gets tiring, stale, or old to preach and proclaim the good news of the Gospel - not just on Resurrection Sunday but every week as we gather as the body of Christ.

But it was this picture of Coptic Christians in Egypt pouring into churches on Easter Sunday that deeply moved my heart...just a week after two churches were bombed by ISIS terrorists taking 45 lives and injuring hundreds.

Even in the face of persecution and suffering, I'm so grateful for the witness of these sisters and brothers in Christ. May they be comforted and strengthened...and wherever you are reading this post, stay encouraged. Be faithful and steadfast. Don't give up. May we keep running the race set before us as we fix our eyes on Christ.

It's not just there. It's all over the world...God is still at work. The Holy Spirit is still moving. God is not yet done. There's only one explanation:
Christ has risen! He has risen, indeed! Jesus is alive! Hallelujah! #OneChurch Remember, there is no Resurrection without the Crucifixion; No Easter Sunday without Passion Friday; No empty tomb without the Cross.

So, before we move too swiftly to the celebration of the risen Christ, may we sit at the foot of the Cross...and consider the depths of His sacrifice and love. "Oh, what love is this..." Just when we think we get what it means to follow Him, Jesus washes the feet of His disciples including...the one He knew would betray Him,

and the one that would deny him,

and the others that would abandon Him in His greatest need.

What amazing love.
What amazing grace. Oh. What. Amazing. Grace. M(inhee) + E(ugene). Not taking anything for granted. 20 years = 7300 days = 175,200 hours. A flourishing  marriage doesn't just happen. The idea that two Christians who choose to get married will produce a Christ honoring marriage is a gigantic myth. Its also extremely dangerous. The truth is that it takes so much intentionality and work. Intimacy definitely includes physical touch but is not only about physical touch. We have to pray, read, listen, learn, mutually submit, confess, forgive, repent, laugh, dream, rest, play, and the list goes on.

In other words, we have to keep Christ at the center because it's inevitable, there's a lot of messing up. So much messing up. It's both beautiful and painful and without grace, it's impossible.

Grateful. Thank you, Jesus, for your grace. And thank you, Minhee...

• Take heart. Press on. Be encouraged. Christ is still risen. || 1 day ago
  • It's not Easter. Crowds may be smaller. But may we preach the Gospel w/ deep conviction; That we truly believe that the tomb is still empty. || 1 day ago
  • Looking for a church in Seattle? Join us tomorrow to hear a word from this woman of God. The tomb is still empty! twitter.com/LizVerHage/sta… || 1 day ago
  • The degradation of our environment impacts all but the reality is that poor communities suffer most...perpetuating the injustice of poverty. || 1 day ago
  • Caring for God's creation should always be part of our stewardship. In other words, it's not optional but an essential part of discipleship. || 1 day ago
  • Fantastic @CTmagazine piece about @gailsongbantum, Executive Pastor @SeattleQuest. Inspired by her story/leadership: christianitytoday.com/women-leaders/… || 3 days ago