my alter ego: batman

There are days I dream about being a superhero. Some days, it’s Superman, or a Jedi Knight, but there’s something about Batman that resonates with me. Perhaps, it’s because he’s actually not a real “super” hero. Perhaps, it has something to do with his troubled past, his angst, the tension, and his desire to kick arse and “do justice.”

I don’t know. Maybe…I like masks.

How about you? If you could be a superhero, who would you be and why?

The temptation for me is to simply dream and forget that

as an ordinary person, I can do courageous and inspiring things. I can love mercy, do justice, and walk humbly.

But while I’m thinking of my alter ego, I’d like to be married to this lady and do justice together…

photos: Leo Chen Photography

Filed under: , ,

1. David says:

Eugene–did you catch the video of the guys in NYC who do dress up as superheroes at night (they’ve all got their own made-up identities) and help rid the streets of drugs and protect people from theft and other crimes? I wish I had had the inspiration/courage to do some of that back in my single days.

And I’d like a Green Lantern power ring for Christmas, please.

Actually, I like Batman as well. I like that he doesn’t need any super powers. Just his smarts (and his millions of dollars). And he’s human in his fight against injustice. He has struggles. He fails sometimes. But he gets back up and keeps going.

2. pc says:

Batman is the coolest, but Superman is the greatest. Choices choices choices. Still, they have an admirable goal in common; they don’t want to see anybody else’s families die. I can get behind that.

3. darrel says:

I’ve always preferred *the* Batman. The angst from his parents’ death, his intelligence, the difficulty he has in close personal relationships, his discipline and fierce determination, his refusal to use a gun, and his dedication to physical training are all things to which I can relate.

4. Ben Lee says:

Batman has a lot of $$$. He probably has no debt and willing to donate to 1 Day Wages 😉

5. Ben@TIC says:

No one beats the God-Man!

6. Eugene – those are some classic shots! Wow. I love the facial hair with the Batman mask. BURLY!

7. Jimmy says:

Bruce Wayne should use his vast resources to stop hunger, give money to schools, and develop jobs (he does own a multi-national corporation after all).

8. mo says:

Id like to be Gizmoduck 🙂 he could change anytime he wanted, just by using those magic words.

Junior high - Check
14th birthday - Check
Tallest in family - Check
Selfie Master - Check

Still my baby son! This was 10 years ago. I dominated my son in wrestling and I know what you're thinking, "How could you employ a rear chokehold armbar kimura on your own son?" Hey, a competition is a competition.

I love you, son. The world is broken. This ia a sad truth. But the story of redemption is not yet finished. God is not yet done. This is the ultimate Truth. Have hope. Press on. Ten years ago, I witnessed one of those "God things" when a church called Interbay Covenant Church gave itself, its legacy, and a building property worth $7 million dollars to @seattlequest. We were then only 5 years old.

Quest is an urban, multiethnic churchplant that started in 2001. We rented the facilities at Interbay Covenant Church - a predominantly older, mostly Anglo congregation with a rich 65 years history. After some time, Pastor Ray Bartel (senior pastor, Interbay) approached me with a "crazy idea" of Interbay "dying to itself and giving itself to Quest" for the sake of the greater Kingdom and the coming generations.

This eventually led to three years of many conversations and prayers. On June 3, 2007, the two churches officially came together to become one church. In giving itself, Interbay also shared their leadership, legacy, and stories. They also gave all of their assets without any strings and without any debt.

Their radical generosity and courage is what enabled Quest to grow - not just numerically - but deeper in discipleship, and deeper in missions - to the city of Seattle and beyond. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of this merger, we created a short film (check my FB page to see the video) to tell the story - so that our church and the next generations may never forget and that the larger Church may be stirred and encouraged by a greater Kingdom vision.

Thank you, Interbay! The NBA season is over but the hustle and grind continues for my daughter. We argue sometimes but I love training my daughter. She's working hard for her senior year next year. Starting point guard. She's improved a lot. She's one of the quickest players on the floor and has a great midrange jumper. But trying to get her to keep working on her handles, using her off hand and shoulder to protect the ball,  staying and dribbling the ball lower to the ground, and playing aggressive and downhill while remaining in control. That's what we're working on this week. #hoopdreams #ChovarBall Reunited with my favorite elephant, Buh'loom. We bonded earlier this year and I'd like to think that she recognized my voice. Also, appreciate learning about ethical and sustainable eco-tourism.