my alter ego: batman

There are days I dream about being a superhero. Some days, it’s Superman, or a Jedi Knight, but there’s something about Batman that resonates with me. Perhaps, it’s because he’s actually not a real “super” hero. Perhaps, it has something to do with his troubled past, his angst, the tension, and his desire to kick arse and “do justice.”

I don’t know. Maybe…I like masks.

How about you? If you could be a superhero, who would you be and why?

The temptation for me is to simply dream and forget that

as an ordinary person, I can do courageous and inspiring things. I can love mercy, do justice, and walk humbly.

But while I’m thinking of my alter ego, I’d like to be married to this lady and do justice together…

photos: Leo Chen Photography

Filed under: , ,

1. David says:

Eugene–did you catch the video of the guys in NYC who do dress up as superheroes at night (they’ve all got their own made-up identities) and help rid the streets of drugs and protect people from theft and other crimes? I wish I had had the inspiration/courage to do some of that back in my single days.

And I’d like a Green Lantern power ring for Christmas, please.

Actually, I like Batman as well. I like that he doesn’t need any super powers. Just his smarts (and his millions of dollars). And he’s human in his fight against injustice. He has struggles. He fails sometimes. But he gets back up and keeps going.

2. pc says:

Batman is the coolest, but Superman is the greatest. Choices choices choices. Still, they have an admirable goal in common; they don’t want to see anybody else’s families die. I can get behind that.

3. darrel says:

I’ve always preferred *the* Batman. The angst from his parents’ death, his intelligence, the difficulty he has in close personal relationships, his discipline and fierce determination, his refusal to use a gun, and his dedication to physical training are all things to which I can relate.

4. Ben Lee says:

Batman has a lot of $$$. He probably has no debt and willing to donate to 1 Day Wages 😉

5. Ben@TIC says:

No one beats the God-Man!

6. Eugene – those are some classic shots! Wow. I love the facial hair with the Batman mask. BURLY!

7. Jimmy says:

Bruce Wayne should use his vast resources to stop hunger, give money to schools, and develop jobs (he does own a multi-national corporation after all).

8. mo says:

Id like to be Gizmoduck 🙂 he could change anytime he wanted, just by using those magic words.

Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle. I'm sharing an obligatory, "I love and appreciate my wife, she's amazing" photo. Also...because I did something naughty...or brilliant. ;) Seattle is in the midst of a crazy heatwave. Near 100 degrees, hazy, and humid. An excessive heat advisory warning has also been issued.

So, Minhee and I needed to run some errands. It waa horrible but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's also known as adulting.

So, I'm driving and the air conditioning seems to have minimal effect. Minhee is in the passenger's seat and umm, when she's not paying attention, I turn on her seat heater to 5 - the highest level. All along, she's complaining about how hot she is...for nearly an hour...until she finally realizes what I did.

Bam. Boom. Gotcha.

Minhee, I love you!

• RT @mrmedina: When Bryan Stevenson speaks, we do well to listen. https://t.co/o5GJD0KWR2 || 12 hours ago
  • "Mourn with those who mourn." Lifting up the people of Sierra Leone in prayers. Hundreds dead and many more missing… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 14 hours ago
  • Dear Barcelona: We are so sorry. We mourn the violence and tragedy in your beautiful city. We pray for healing and yearn for peace. Amen. || 1 day ago
  • Love wins in the end but meanwhile, it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Seek God's Kingdom. || 2 days ago
  • In response to racism, folks often say, "It's a sin issue." Yes...but don't be naive. Sin creates sinful systems: youtube.com/watch?v=LEbUa0… || 3 days ago
  • Everyone loves the idea of reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. || 5 days ago