my alter ego: batman

There are days I dream about being a superhero. Some days, it’s Superman, or a Jedi Knight, but there’s something about Batman that resonates with me. Perhaps, it’s because he’s actually not a real “super” hero. Perhaps, it has something to do with his troubled past, his angst, the tension, and his desire to kick arse and “do justice.”

I don’t know. Maybe…I like masks.

How about you? If you could be a superhero, who would you be and why?

The temptation for me is to simply dream and forget that

as an ordinary person, I can do courageous and inspiring things. I can love mercy, do justice, and walk humbly.

But while I’m thinking of my alter ego, I’d like to be married to this lady and do justice together…

photos: Leo Chen Photography

Filed under: , ,

1. David says:

Eugene–did you catch the video of the guys in NYC who do dress up as superheroes at night (they’ve all got their own made-up identities) and help rid the streets of drugs and protect people from theft and other crimes? I wish I had had the inspiration/courage to do some of that back in my single days.

And I’d like a Green Lantern power ring for Christmas, please.

Actually, I like Batman as well. I like that he doesn’t need any super powers. Just his smarts (and his millions of dollars). And he’s human in his fight against injustice. He has struggles. He fails sometimes. But he gets back up and keeps going.

2. pc says:

Batman is the coolest, but Superman is the greatest. Choices choices choices. Still, they have an admirable goal in common; they don’t want to see anybody else’s families die. I can get behind that.

3. darrel says:

I’ve always preferred *the* Batman. The angst from his parents’ death, his intelligence, the difficulty he has in close personal relationships, his discipline and fierce determination, his refusal to use a gun, and his dedication to physical training are all things to which I can relate.

4. Ben Lee says:

Batman has a lot of $$$. He probably has no debt and willing to donate to 1 Day Wages😉

5. Ben@TIC says:

No one beats the God-Man!

6. Eugene – those are some classic shots! Wow. I love the facial hair with the Batman mask. BURLY!

7. Jimmy says:

Bruce Wayne should use his vast resources to stop hunger, give money to schools, and develop jobs (he does own a multi-national corporation after all).

8. mo says:

Id like to be Gizmoduck🙂 he could change anytime he wanted, just by using those magic words.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

• The Gospel, not social justice, is our identity as believers but the Gospel compels us to love God/love people incl. work 4 the common good. || 1 day ago
  • Folks often ask me, "What is social justice?" "Social justice" are fancier words for "Give a Damn". || 1 day ago
  • RT @EugeneCho: Just met Edna, a sister-in-Christ. She's 90 years old. She met Jesus when she was 85. You're never too young or too old to f… || 1 day ago
  • Thank you @fullerfyi @KPowellFYI for this important resource about listening, engaging, and discipling young people: churchesgrowingyoung.com || 1 day ago
  • Just met Edna, a sister-in-Christ. She's 90 years old. She met Jesus when she was 85. You're never too young or too old to follow Christ. || 1 day ago
  • RT @jennysimmons: Hard to convey the profound impact @EugeneCho has had on me. His endorsement of #MadeWellBook means a great deal. https:/… || 1 day ago