party. party. party.

What are you doing on Friday, November 5?

ODW is marking our first anniversary and as such, I’m officially inviting you to join me for the Inaugural One Day’s Wages Gala.

First: I’m humbled…

There’s so much to share about the past year.

Second: I’m nervous…

We got a great deal on an amazing new venue in South Lake Union (Seattle). I’m nervous because the capacity is 350 and that’s how much food we’re going to cater.

If no one comes, that’s a lot of food for Minhee and me.

Third: I’m excited.

Very excited. We got some great bands playing the evening and numerous sponsors (including several that read this blog!) and because of the generosity of the sponsors, the cost of the event should be completely paid for.

This will allow all ticket sales and donations to go directly to projects to empower those living in extreme poverty.

I’m not giving you the specific details about venue, bands, and sponsors because I’d like to ask you to visit our ODW Gala page.

If you’re anywhere close to Seattle on November 5,

please come & celebrate with us.

Filed under:

1. Drew says:

Aaah, we need to freaking move to Seattle! I’d love to party ODW-style. Congrats on the first year, Eugene. I appreciate ODW’s work not just in fighting poverty, but in reminding me of the bigger picture and the small part I can play in it. Thank you for that, and I hope the gala is great!

2. Yama says:

If I lived near Seattle…for sure dude. Long trip from Wyoming.

3. why did I move to Los angeles?? sigh. hope all goes well.

4. Luke says:

If no one comes, just freeze da left overs and i’ll come back to eat ’em w’en i get back from Ayiti (x-mas time). Congrats, I can’t believe it’s been a year.

5. Sam kim says:

Yes!!! My family will be there to eat your food haha my son and daughter sure can eat lol. This is the first church, i love to participate. Thank you for good preaching and service pastor!!!!

6. g says:

Kings are playing? Niiiiice.

7. Cindy says:

Praying for you guys Eugene! It’s gonna rock, I’m sure!

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 18 hours ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 4 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 4 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 4 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 5 days ago
%d bloggers like this: