party. party. party.

What are you doing on Friday, November 5?

ODW is marking our first anniversary and as such, I’m officially inviting you to join me for the Inaugural One Day’s Wages Gala.

First: I’m humbled…

There’s so much to share about the past year.

Second: I’m nervous…

We got a great deal on an amazing new venue in South Lake Union (Seattle). I’m nervous because the capacity is 350 and that’s how much food we’re going to cater.

If no one comes, that’s a lot of food for Minhee and me.

Third: I’m excited.

Very excited. We got some great bands playing the evening and numerous sponsors (including several that read this blog!) and because of the generosity of the sponsors, the cost of the event should be completely paid for.

This will allow all ticket sales and donations to go directly to projects to empower those living in extreme poverty.

I’m not giving you the specific details about venue, bands, and sponsors because I’d like to ask you to visit our ODW Gala page.

If you’re anywhere close to Seattle on November 5,

please come & celebrate with us.

Filed under:

1. Drew says:

Aaah, we need to freaking move to Seattle! I’d love to party ODW-style. Congrats on the first year, Eugene. I appreciate ODW’s work not just in fighting poverty, but in reminding me of the bigger picture and the small part I can play in it. Thank you for that, and I hope the gala is great!

2. Yama says:

If I lived near Seattle…for sure dude. Long trip from Wyoming.

3. why did I move to Los angeles?? sigh. hope all goes well.

4. Luke says:

If no one comes, just freeze da left overs and i’ll come back to eat ’em w’en i get back from Ayiti (x-mas time). Congrats, I can’t believe it’s been a year.

5. Sam kim says:

Yes!!! My family will be there to eat your food haha my son and daughter sure can eat lol. This is the first church, i love to participate. Thank you for good preaching and service pastor!!!!

6. g says:

Kings are playing? Niiiiice.

7. Cindy says:

Praying for you guys Eugene! It’s gonna rock, I’m sure!

To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders. What an honor and privilege to celebrate with the on-the-ground local @thefreedomstory team to celebrate the recent opening of their Education and Resource Center for the local youth in Chiang Rai, Thailanf. This was made possible through a partnership and matching grant by @onedayswages and The Freedom Story.

While it was an honor to be there to cut the cord and say a few words, this is an example of collaboration. Much love to the Freedom Story team including their co-founders Tawee Donchai and @Rachel Goble, to their staff who live in the community, who understand their context and culture, and who tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love. And of course, much love to the students themselves for they each matter. Finally, to each person that donated to @onedayswages to make this grant possible.

May hundreds and even thousands of youth be impacted, encouraged, and mentored. May they capture a glimpse of God's love for them.

Photo: @benjaminedwards

• Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 5 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 8 hours ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 11 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 12 hours ago
  • God bless America...so that we may be a blessing to the hurting, poor, vulnerable, immigrants, oppressed, marginalized. God bless America. || 1 day ago

%d bloggers like this: