party. party. party.

What are you doing on Friday, November 5?

ODW is marking our first anniversary and as such, I’m officially inviting you to join me for the Inaugural One Day’s Wages Gala.

First: I’m humbled…

There’s so much to share about the past year.

Second: I’m nervous…

We got a great deal on an amazing new venue in South Lake Union (Seattle). I’m nervous because the capacity is 350 and that’s how much food we’re going to cater.

If no one comes, that’s a lot of food for Minhee and me.

Third: I’m excited.

Very excited. We got some great bands playing the evening and numerous sponsors (including several that read this blog!) and because of the generosity of the sponsors, the cost of the event should be completely paid for.

This will allow all ticket sales and donations to go directly to projects to empower those living in extreme poverty.

I’m not giving you the specific details about venue, bands, and sponsors because I’d like to ask you to visit our ODW Gala page.

If you’re anywhere close to Seattle on November 5,

please come & celebrate with us.

Filed under:

1. Drew says:

Aaah, we need to freaking move to Seattle! I’d love to party ODW-style. Congrats on the first year, Eugene. I appreciate ODW’s work not just in fighting poverty, but in reminding me of the bigger picture and the small part I can play in it. Thank you for that, and I hope the gala is great!

2. Yama says:

If I lived near Seattle…for sure dude. Long trip from Wyoming.

3. why did I move to Los angeles?? sigh. hope all goes well.

4. Luke says:

If no one comes, just freeze da left overs and i’ll come back to eat ’em w’en i get back from Ayiti (x-mas time). Congrats, I can’t believe it’s been a year.

5. Sam kim says:

Yes!!! My family will be there to eat your food haha my son and daughter sure can eat lol. This is the first church, i love to participate. Thank you for good preaching and service pastor!!!!

6. g says:

Kings are playing? Niiiiice.

7. Cindy says:

Praying for you guys Eugene! It’s gonna rock, I’m sure!

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working