redefining success

There’s so much more I can say but I tried to make my point in six minutes.

Couple weeks ago, I self-filmed this video for an online conference called The Nines. Unfortunately, my video didn’t actually make the cut that day but got archived as an “exclusive web content.”

Aren’t you special? Here’s access to the exclusive web content:

In this video, I was attempting to explain what I have been wrestling for a very long time:

How do I define success as a pastor?

It’s very honest.

If there’s anything I’d like for you to take away from this video, it’s this:

“Be faithful.”

Perhaps it’s appropriate that I’m sharing this video during the week when lists of the 100 most influential churches (and pastors?) are being distributed through some publications.

These lists have their places. We can be mature enough to acknowledge that. But besides 100 pastors (and 100 churches), the rest of us didn’t make this list. But don’t worry. Don’t fret about making this list:

By God’s grace, just be the most influential and loving pastor of your own church.

Let me know what you think…

Filed under:

1. Ben from TIC says:

Yeah, along the same lines as being faithful I’d add being present. I serve youth ministry, and being faithful and present is 90% of what I do. If you’re there and can listen, they’ll listen to you and listen to the Word of God you share. Faithfulness, one of the fruits of the Spirit.

2. Dave says:

Eugene,

Thanks for this. It was very timely and convicting.

3. I’m the most influential and loving mommy of my own family…gotta start somewhere!

4. Jesse Sudirgo says:

Good word bro.

5. yaakova says:

Absolutely wonderful and inspiring video!

6. anonymous says:

amen brotha! Yes, we must define success through God’s eyes and not through the eyes of man. Our greatest calling is to grow in love and obedience to Jesus. This is the first and greatest and commandment. If we understand this to be true, success is available for every believer no matter what our ministries look like. As we seek His heart for others, we find that the second commandment comes from a natural overflow of our obedience to the first and greatest commandment. We know that ministry is born out of His heart and desire, not ours.

There are only a handful in the earth who will have huge ministries in terms of size and impact and it’s only through His grace that they exist anyway. In the end when we stand before the Judgement seat of Christ, we’ll be evaluated and rewarded primarily for our heart’s response in this life and not on what we accomplished for the Kingdom.

Bless you brotha… may God continue to reveal His heart for you, your family, your church, and to all those that need the Messiah!

7. David says:

This was a really great reminder Eugene. Thanks for that. I hope you get some rest and quality time with your fam and return to Quest refreshed.

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working