i’m off to fish and chop down trees

This blogpost is an official warning to fishes. I’m coming after you.

Eugene Cho – an aspiring professional fisherman – is going on vacation and is coming to catch you.

That’s right folks. I officially begin my vacation today and will be out and about for the next two weeks.

It’s been a long, hard, fruitful, emotional, and amazing year. And while I’ve had pockets of 1-2 day or several day periods of rest, this is the big “family vacation” for us. And as I’ve done for the past two years – once alone and with my family last year – we’re headed off to Nebraska to visit some relatives there.

I know. I know. People ask,

Why Nebraska?

Asides from having family there, it’s become a strange but good place of rest, retreat, and rejuvenation. We just camp out in a small town of about 300 people.

What do we do?

Absolutely nothing important except we eat, laugh, play, rest, fish every day, chop down trees, camp, etc.

Since I’m on vacation and have no access to the internet, the blog is on vacation, too.

If you’re on Twitter, you can follow me since I have a feeling I’ll be uploading a few pictures to boast the fish I hope to catch. If I’m not uploading any pics, it means I’m agitated and not catching any fish…

Thanks for your love, support, prayer, and encouragement.

Filed under:

1. alice says:

Enjoy your vacation. Hope to hear lots of stories of the one that got away and the others you managed to bring home. Btw, my brother-in-law who is a serious fisherman says to always hold your arms out straight while holding your catch during photos. The fish look 10x bigger!

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eugene Cho, Christian Ray Flores. Christian Ray Flores said: check this out This blogpost is an official warning to fishes. I’m coming after you. Eugene Cho – an … http://bit.ly/cksvEq by Eugene Cho […]

3. Tyler says:

No trip to Nebraska is complete without buying some Big Red gear, do it for me Eugene. They’re gonna stomp on the Dawgs in a month anyway, get ahead of the curve.

4. dritta says:

I’ve been going to Nebraska for years so I understand the appeal… but be careful of the ‘skeeters down by the crick. They’re deadly!

5. Hope you have a good vacation. We got a lot of funny looks when we went to Arkansas for our vacation last year. Sure, there’s not a lot to do down there – that’s the point!

6. Ben from TIC says:

Glad you can get your Sabbath on! Just got back from one myself. After an intentional Sabbath week, I feel more refreshed than ever. I pray the same for you. God bless

7. Tony Lin says:

Yo, that’s a Rambo knife isn’t it? The one with the compass in the end. It has matches and fish hooks and stuff in there right?

8. God bless! If you don’t catch any fish, throw the line on the other side of the boat! ha.

9. pastoralan says:

Model what you teach. Love it! Have a good one. See you when you’re back.

Junior high - Check
14th birthday - Check
Tallest in family - Check
Selfie Master - Check

Still my baby son! This was 10 years ago. I dominated my son in wrestling and I know what you're thinking, "How could you employ a rear chokehold armbar kimura on your own son?" Hey, a competition is a competition.

I love you, son. The world is broken. This ia a sad truth. But the story of redemption is not yet finished. God is not yet done. This is the ultimate Truth. Have hope. Press on. Ten years ago, I witnessed one of those "God things" when a church called Interbay Covenant Church gave itself, its legacy, and a building property worth $7 million dollars to @seattlequest. We were then only 5 years old.

Quest is an urban, multiethnic churchplant that started in 2001. We rented the facilities at Interbay Covenant Church - a predominantly older, mostly Anglo congregation with a rich 65 years history. After some time, Pastor Ray Bartel (senior pastor, Interbay) approached me with a "crazy idea" of Interbay "dying to itself and giving itself to Quest" for the sake of the greater Kingdom and the coming generations.

This eventually led to three years of many conversations and prayers. On June 3, 2007, the two churches officially came together to become one church. In giving itself, Interbay also shared their leadership, legacy, and stories. They also gave all of their assets without any strings and without any debt.

Their radical generosity and courage is what enabled Quest to grow - not just numerically - but deeper in discipleship, and deeper in missions - to the city of Seattle and beyond. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of this merger, we created a short film (check my FB page to see the video) to tell the story - so that our church and the next generations may never forget and that the larger Church may be stirred and encouraged by a greater Kingdom vision.

Thank you, Interbay! The NBA season is over but the hustle and grind continues for my daughter. We argue sometimes but I love training my daughter. She's working hard for her senior year next year. Starting point guard. She's improved a lot. She's one of the quickest players on the floor and has a great midrange jumper. But trying to get her to keep working on her handles, using her off hand and shoulder to protect the ball,  staying and dribbling the ball lower to the ground, and playing aggressive and downhill while remaining in control. That's what we're working on this week. #hoopdreams #ChovarBall Reunited with my favorite elephant, Buh'loom. We bonded earlier this year and I'd like to think that she recognized my voice. Also, appreciate learning about ethical and sustainable eco-tourism.