i’m off to fish and chop down trees

This blogpost is an official warning to fishes. I’m coming after you.

Eugene Cho – an aspiring professional fisherman – is going on vacation and is coming to catch you.

That’s right folks. I officially begin my vacation today and will be out and about for the next two weeks.

It’s been a long, hard, fruitful, emotional, and amazing year. And while I’ve had pockets of 1-2 day or several day periods of rest, this is the big “family vacation” for us. And as I’ve done for the past two years – once alone and with my family last year – we’re headed off to Nebraska to visit some relatives there.

I know. I know. People ask,

Why Nebraska?

Asides from having family there, it’s become a strange but good place of rest, retreat, and rejuvenation. We just camp out in a small town of about 300 people.

What do we do?

Absolutely nothing important except we eat, laugh, play, rest, fish every day, chop down trees, camp, etc.

Since I’m on vacation and have no access to the internet, the blog is on vacation, too.

If you’re on Twitter, you can follow me since I have a feeling I’ll be uploading a few pictures to boast the fish I hope to catch. If I’m not uploading any pics, it means I’m agitated and not catching any fish…

Thanks for your love, support, prayer, and encouragement.

Filed under:

1. alice says:

Enjoy your vacation. Hope to hear lots of stories of the one that got away and the others you managed to bring home. Btw, my brother-in-law who is a serious fisherman says to always hold your arms out straight while holding your catch during photos. The fish look 10x bigger!

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eugene Cho, Christian Ray Flores. Christian Ray Flores said: check this out This blogpost is an official warning to fishes. I’m coming after you. Eugene Cho – an … http://bit.ly/cksvEq by Eugene Cho […]

3. Tyler says:

No trip to Nebraska is complete without buying some Big Red gear, do it for me Eugene. They’re gonna stomp on the Dawgs in a month anyway, get ahead of the curve.

4. dritta says:

I’ve been going to Nebraska for years so I understand the appeal… but be careful of the ‘skeeters down by the crick. They’re deadly!

5. Hope you have a good vacation. We got a lot of funny looks when we went to Arkansas for our vacation last year. Sure, there’s not a lot to do down there – that’s the point!

6. Ben from TIC says:

Glad you can get your Sabbath on! Just got back from one myself. After an intentional Sabbath week, I feel more refreshed than ever. I pray the same for you. God bless

7. Tony Lin says:

Yo, that’s a Rambo knife isn’t it? The one with the compass in the end. It has matches and fish hooks and stuff in there right?

8. God bless! If you don’t catch any fish, throw the line on the other side of the boat! ha.

9. pastoralan says:

Model what you teach. Love it! Have a good one. See you when you’re back.

Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle. I'm sharing an obligatory, "I love and appreciate my wife, she's amazing" photo. Also...because I did something naughty...or brilliant. ;) Seattle is in the midst of a crazy heatwave. Near 100 degrees, hazy, and humid. An excessive heat advisory warning has also been issued.

So, Minhee and I needed to run some errands. It waa horrible but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's also known as adulting.

So, I'm driving and the air conditioning seems to have minimal effect. Minhee is in the passenger's seat and umm, when she's not paying attention, I turn on her seat heater to 5 - the highest level. All along, she's complaining about how hot she is...for nearly an hour...until she finally realizes what I did.

Bam. Boom. Gotcha.

Minhee, I love you!

• RT @mrmedina: When Bryan Stevenson speaks, we do well to listen. https://t.co/o5GJD0KWR2 || 12 hours ago
  • "Mourn with those who mourn." Lifting up the people of Sierra Leone in prayers. Hundreds dead and many more missing… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 14 hours ago
  • Dear Barcelona: We are so sorry. We mourn the violence and tragedy in your beautiful city. We pray for healing and yearn for peace. Amen. || 1 day ago
  • Love wins in the end but meanwhile, it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Seek God's Kingdom. || 2 days ago
  • In response to racism, folks often say, "It's a sin issue." Yes...but don't be naive. Sin creates sinful systems: youtube.com/watch?v=LEbUa0… || 3 days ago
  • Everyone loves the idea of reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. || 5 days ago