i’m off to fish and chop down trees

This blogpost is an official warning to fishes. I’m coming after you.

Eugene Cho – an aspiring professional fisherman – is going on vacation and is coming to catch you.

That’s right folks. I officially begin my vacation today and will be out and about for the next two weeks.

It’s been a long, hard, fruitful, emotional, and amazing year. And while I’ve had pockets of 1-2 day or several day periods of rest, this is the big “family vacation” for us. And as I’ve done for the past two years – once alone and with my family last year – we’re headed off to Nebraska to visit some relatives there.

I know. I know. People ask,

Why Nebraska?

Asides from having family there, it’s become a strange but good place of rest, retreat, and rejuvenation. We just camp out in a small town of about 300 people.

What do we do?

Absolutely nothing important except we eat, laugh, play, rest, fish every day, chop down trees, camp, etc.

Since I’m on vacation and have no access to the internet, the blog is on vacation, too.

If you’re on Twitter, you can follow me since I have a feeling I’ll be uploading a few pictures to boast the fish I hope to catch. If I’m not uploading any pics, it means I’m agitated and not catching any fish…

Thanks for your love, support, prayer, and encouragement.

Filed under:

1. alice says:

Enjoy your vacation. Hope to hear lots of stories of the one that got away and the others you managed to bring home. Btw, my brother-in-law who is a serious fisherman says to always hold your arms out straight while holding your catch during photos. The fish look 10x bigger!

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eugene Cho, Christian Ray Flores. Christian Ray Flores said: check this out This blogpost is an official warning to fishes. I’m coming after you. Eugene Cho – an … http://bit.ly/cksvEq by Eugene Cho […]

3. Tyler says:

No trip to Nebraska is complete without buying some Big Red gear, do it for me Eugene. They’re gonna stomp on the Dawgs in a month anyway, get ahead of the curve.

4. dritta says:

I’ve been going to Nebraska for years so I understand the appeal… but be careful of the ‘skeeters down by the crick. They’re deadly!

5. Hope you have a good vacation. We got a lot of funny looks when we went to Arkansas for our vacation last year. Sure, there’s not a lot to do down there – that’s the point!

6. Ben from TIC says:

Glad you can get your Sabbath on! Just got back from one myself. After an intentional Sabbath week, I feel more refreshed than ever. I pray the same for you. God bless

7. Tony Lin says:

Yo, that’s a Rambo knife isn’t it? The one with the compass in the end. It has matches and fish hooks and stuff in there right?

8. God bless! If you don’t catch any fish, throw the line on the other side of the boat! ha.

9. pastoralan says:

Model what you teach. Love it! Have a good one. See you when you’re back.

You can do it, sun. Break through the clouds. I love her. Saturday morning date at Pike Market with @minheejcho. Enjoying the final day of sun before 6 months of rain and gray. Not lol'ing. Some of my moat memorable travels have been to Myanmar (otherwise known as Burma). In fact, the vision of @onedayswages began on my first visit to this country in 2006. On a recent visit, I began learning about the Rohingya people. Sadly, it has escalated to horrendous, genocidal proportions.

Thus far, about 500,000 people have been driven out from Myanmar through violence...with most going to Bangledesh...regulated to a massive refugee camp. Stateless. Undocumented. Minority groups. Dehumanized. Homes and villages destroyed. And so much more unspeakable atrocities.

Yes, it's complex and messy. It always is. But the root of this injustice as the case for so much brokeness in the world is the sin of dehumanizing one anotber as..."the other." May we see each person, including the Rohingya people, as one who is created in the image of God. It's the truth and the remedy to the incessant dehumanization that goes on in our world.

Lord, in your mercy. The obedience of discipleship which includes the work of justice is a marathon. It's long, arduous, and emotional. Be tenacious. But also take care of yourself. Create healthy rhythms. Don't burn out. We need you for the marathon. Friends, don't give up. Press on. In the midst of so much chaos in the world, may we continue to cling to the hope of the whole Gospel. May we cling unto Jesus:

Way maker!
Miracle worker!
Promise keeper!
Light in the darkness!
That is who You are!

What an encounter with the Holy Spirit at @seattlequest today. Grateful for our worship team, the gospel choir, and the Audio/Visual team. Thank you Matt, Teresita, and Chris. Please thank all the volunteers for us. .
The world is broken.
But God is not yet done.
God's work of restoration