blog “open mic” – microphone check. one. two.

Hello readers. Thanks for reading and being a part of this blog community.

It’s time for the quarterly blog open mic and a chance to express yourself, advertise whatever, place a date ad, etc. The point is to encourage my  readers – especially the silent lurkers and stalkers – to share something.

What is a ‘blog open mic’?

It’s simply a digital version of an OPEN MIC. In the comments section on this post, you can share [almost] anything…

Yo Yo. Microphone Check. One Two.

What are some possibilities for the open mic?

• a news story
  • your cause or another cause you want to call attention to
  • your blog
  • random thoughts
  • scripture that has spoken to you recently
  • world changing ideas
  • your music or plug your bands
  • your confessions
  • rants against me or rage against the machine
  • inspiring stories
  • the answers to life
  • your hip hop flow
  • your art, your poetry, prose or haiku
  • interesting links
  • ads for a boyfriend or girlfriend
  • promote an event
  • share your faith, fears, insecurities, and hopes

You can share whatever as long as it’s not hateful, vitriolic, etc.

So, here is your chance to express yourself. Take a minute and “open mic.”

Filed under:

1. abbiewatters says:

Okay, I’ll advertise my blog. It’s basically a “stream of consciousness” with pictures when appropriate.

2. Ben from TIC says:

Thank you Eugene. I’m a Christian and a teacher in a public high school and city college in Chicago–doing my best to be present within. My site is a resource for teachers to integrate technology in their learning environment, not to mention a place to discuss pedagogical ideas and ideals.

3. mo says:

I’d like to put a plug in for my church. We’re a new church plant in Detroit, and our launch is this Sunday, august 8! Real Church Detroit: http://www.hope4detroit.com . we need prayer more that website hits tho.

also, my blog: http://www.mohan37.com

thanks for the opportunity 🙂

4. John says:

Flag this unbelievably racist video on Youtube: The Gooks of Hazzard

5. Maddie says:

I would consider myself a silent stalker of this blog. I don’t often have much to say, though I have currently thinking about “belonging.” I am in my last year of high school and live in Sydney, Australia. Half of our English course involves looking at the concept of belonging, what it means to belong and the effects of belonging or not belonging. This is very topical here, as an election looms and both of the major parties vow to “stop the boats” of asylum seekers and refugees coming to Australia, personally I don’t understand how we can refuse those who are lost and feel they belong nowhere whilst we accept the rich and wealthy. But maybe that’s just me.

Now I’ve done my rant, I would like to leave a plug for UnitingWorld:
    – great organisation working using the example of christ to achieve justice in the world.

Also, just want to say, I really enjoy reading your blog and fight your insight onto various issues really interesting. 🙂

6. Nathan says:

I would hope many of you know about this but this event gives me hope in a beautiful future for the church and our world.

Hope to see you there!
    Peace,
    Nathan

7. marissaburt says:

I’ve been following your blog ever since a friend of mine told me about the One Day’s Wages project. I also am intrigued by Quest’s story as my husband, an Anglican priest, and I are about to move back to the Pacific Northwest and engage in a church planting movement for the Anglican Mission in the Americas. So I suppose this is more of an introduction than anything else – as I randomly comment on some of your posts. I blog prayers I’ve written that pair with the Lectionary at: http://oratiocontemplativa.wordpress.com/
    and occasionally blog about writing middle grade fiction at:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

8. JimC says:

It’s interesting you allow people to put ads for boyfriends or girlfriends here. That’s so ‘dad’ of you, if you understand my meaning. Ha-ha. I would do the same thing, looking back and now older and having someone – have developed a more practical mindset. But, I remember it being a somewhat complicated and sensitive thing before when I was single. So,

*************************
    Be my girlfriend?
    *************************
    My name is — —-
    I’ve been a follower of Christ since 20–
    My story is —
    We can talk about Jesus,
    I like literature,
    I like art,
    I like animals,
    Let’s take it slow, can we start by talking
    on the phone?
    my email or facebook —
    Thanks, your name
    *************************

Pls, think about Jesus, a godly way to engage each other in friendly-romantic relationship.

9. Andrew Blair says:

I love this blog, and the internet in general. It is a great way the church can become united.

One thing my heart has been passionate about is youth ministry. I am a student in the field of security, like terrorism and such. And I found long ago, the only way the world can be healed is through Jesus Christ and the love of God. I think the best way is through loving and investing in youth, which is why I did that ministry. I made lots of bible studies for my boys and have decided to put it in blog form in the hopes of helping other mentors.

So if you are involved with student ministry feel free to use my blog, http://andrewforchrist.blogspot.com/

10. Danny says:

New Song Underground was/is about bringing a little piece of The Kingdom to Salt Lake City through providing a venue to local musicians – a venue that opposed the traditional norms of musicians being (essentially) exploited by venues and promoters.

But…

New Song Presbyterian had to move to a different facility (a much nicer one, really), and so Underground is halted.

On my good days, I keep writing proposals and thinking, hoping to find the right way to get back into action.

On my bad days, I think that with every passing month, it seems like getting it all going again (and going in a way that would be continuous for a lengthy timespan) is more and more impossible.

I try to put on a brave face, but I sometimes wonder if we’ve had our share of miracles out here in the desert already, with no more to come in my lifetime.

11. This is an amazing idea as usual. I was introduced to you at Catwest. I didn’t know who I was or what I was suppose to do outside of being a stay at home. In the few months since April I have been deeply inspired and moved to action. I’m in the very formative stages of opening a maternity home for homeless pregnant teens in my community. Your insight, encouragement, and prayers would be greatly appreciated.

12. Oops I forgot to advertise my blog where I occasionally rant, dream, and think out loud. http://therabidmime.wordpress.com

13. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eugene Cho, Christian Ray Flores. Christian Ray Flores said: check this out Hello readers. Thanks for reading and being a part of this blog community. It’s time f… http://bit.ly/c3I3gh by Eugene Cho […]

14. matt says:

Young Adults ministry in Orange County California. http://www.AccessFoundations.com REPRESENT!

15. chrisloach says:

My name is Chris Loach, I am 26, and from California. I love talking and speaking to students about Jesus. I like to blog my random thoughts here –> http://www.chrisloach.com
    High Five!

16. Chris Bryan says:

I just started reading this blog the other day, via a link from sojourners!

I blog about my Taoist-inflected Christian faith, and my feeble attempts to cultivate a God-honouring, spiritually-sustainable lifestyle here:

Thanks Eugene, staying tuned

17. Taylor says:

Here is a link to a shared photo blog that I am a part of. There are eleven of us and we are all SPU students, over the summer we have weekly assignments for our contributions alongside anything else we want to post. There is some pretty sweet stuff on here from some pretty sweet people. Check out the Bright Squad: http://brightsquad.wordpress.com/

18. yaakova says:

I would like to promote the ministry of Compassion International. Sponsoring a child today will not only radically change their life but also yours.

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 13 hours ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 13 hours ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 13 hours ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 2 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 4 days ago