where do you go to sabbath?

God knew what He was doing by creating and giving humanity the gift of Sabbath. It is an integral part of shalom…

And yet, it’s amazing how difficult it is for us to either ignore it or completely misunderstand it.  I admit that I’m still learning how to relish, rest, and rejoice in this gift.

With that in mind, my family and I took two days to retreat this past weekend. We realized we couldn’t wait till the end of October for our two-week vacation.

If you’re around the Northwest and you’re looking for a great place just for you, your group, your family reunion, a church retreat, or some sort of conference, I really believe that THIS PLACE is one of the most beautiful retreat centers. It’s one of the most beautiful and best run places I’ve been to – and I have been to many places.

So, here’s my question:

Where do you go to rest, retreat, and Sabbath?

I ask this question because for me, I have a hard time to really “sabbath” when I’m in my normal surroundings because it’s easier to focus on the “my” stuff rather than resting in God’s provision and goodness.

Well, I even managed to convince my second daughter to try this thing called “The Blob” and as a result, she learned how to fly…

Filed under:

1. Rich Griese says:

I have za bath right in my house with hot and cold running water. My cat likes to sleep under it in the warm weather. Yeah, it’s one of those old fashioned claw foot types that sits above the floor.

Cheers! RichGriese@gmail.com

2. mo says:

Looks beautiful. So true about not being able to have Sabbath at home. I shouldn’t be like that though, I think. If my life was truly surrounded by God, it wouldn’t be hard to fulfil one of his commandments.

That being said, my folks live in fairbanks Alaska, which makes a great and gorgeous retreat🙂

3. pastoralan says:

Sabbath is the most ignored, or it’s at least in the top 10, disciplines in the Christian walk. I’m burdened for it for myself and my church.

I live in Ruidoso, New Mexico. It’s a year round play ground. But it’s also a place where God’s glory is evident in the mountains. So, I’m retreating in place. But my challenge is actually experiencing sabbath.

Thanks for blogging about it.

4. Carlos says:

Our Lady of Guadalupe Trappist Abbey. Lafayette, OR. In silence broken during meals. 3 days over every New Year.

just started talking about taking a “break” from technology on Sundays. Yesterday, that meant our 8 year old son isn’t on his DSi, no one is on facebook or surfing, and I’m not on Hulu watching a whole season of . . . (whatever). We sang and laughed on the way to church. Our son read Chronicles 2 and shared his intrigue about kings who did BOTH good and bad. My wife and I talked about how to Sabbath and remembered God and named the good in our lives.

5. TIC says:

Chicago is a tough place to Sabbath. The urban sprawl here is horrendous. I usually take a long bike ride without music or anything on the green bay trail, which heads north from Chicago through Evanston and far beyond. A little fresh air, exercise, sunshine, prairie flowers, and meditation on the sermon doeth the soul like good medicine.

6. Jennifer says:

Your comment about not being able to sabbath at home made me curious. How are you defining sabbath? In the original context, sabbath was done right at home, among a persons stuff, and that was part of the point – learning to be content without striving about stuff. So, I’m curious if you really mean “vacation”? Nothing wrong with vacation, but slightly different than sabbath.

• Eugene Cho says:

Jennifer – You’re right about what it was intended for. It’s tough to take a “day” to do those very things in the midst of my stuff because it’s easy to have the day become a day about me – my wants, my work, my emails, my chores, my stuff…

So, even if it’s not a vacation, I have found taking a few hours away to be rest and rejoice in the Lord to be helpful when I return to be amidst my stuff.

7. chad m says:

cascades camp. yes! love the pics and love that you can get away there. we’re trying to build something like that into our family schedule this year as well man. hopefully i’ll have something positive to share after our getaway next week!

8. .elise.anne. says:

from my home in MN, i went to seattle & vancouver for my sabbath vacation rest this year (last week), and worshipped with this awesome community called quest church …🙂