where do you go to sabbath?

God knew what He was doing by creating and giving humanity the gift of Sabbath. It is an integral part of shalom…

And yet, it’s amazing how difficult it is for us to either ignore it or completely misunderstand it.  I admit that I’m still learning how to relish, rest, and rejoice in this gift.

With that in mind, my family and I took two days to retreat this past weekend. We realized we couldn’t wait till the end of October for our two-week vacation.

If you’re around the Northwest and you’re looking for a great place just for you, your group, your family reunion, a church retreat, or some sort of conference, I really believe that THIS PLACE is one of the most beautiful retreat centers. It’s one of the most beautiful and best run places I’ve been to – and I have been to many places.

So, here’s my question:

Where do you go to rest, retreat, and Sabbath?

I ask this question because for me, I have a hard time to really “sabbath” when I’m in my normal surroundings because it’s easier to focus on the “my” stuff rather than resting in God’s provision and goodness.

Well, I even managed to convince my second daughter to try this thing called “The Blob” and as a result, she learned how to fly…

Filed under:

1. Rich Griese says:

I have za bath right in my house with hot and cold running water. My cat likes to sleep under it in the warm weather. Yeah, it’s one of those old fashioned claw foot types that sits above the floor.

Cheers! RichGriese@gmail.com

2. mo says:

Looks beautiful. So true about not being able to have Sabbath at home. I shouldn’t be like that though, I think. If my life was truly surrounded by God, it wouldn’t be hard to fulfil one of his commandments.

That being said, my folks live in fairbanks Alaska, which makes a great and gorgeous retreat 🙂

3. pastoralan says:

Sabbath is the most ignored, or it’s at least in the top 10, disciplines in the Christian walk. I’m burdened for it for myself and my church.

I live in Ruidoso, New Mexico. It’s a year round play ground. But it’s also a place where God’s glory is evident in the mountains. So, I’m retreating in place. But my challenge is actually experiencing sabbath.

Thanks for blogging about it.

4. Carlos says:

Our Lady of Guadalupe Trappist Abbey. Lafayette, OR. In silence broken during meals. 3 days over every New Year.

just started talking about taking a “break” from technology on Sundays. Yesterday, that meant our 8 year old son isn’t on his DSi, no one is on facebook or surfing, and I’m not on Hulu watching a whole season of . . . (whatever). We sang and laughed on the way to church. Our son read Chronicles 2 and shared his intrigue about kings who did BOTH good and bad. My wife and I talked about how to Sabbath and remembered God and named the good in our lives.

5. TIC says:

Chicago is a tough place to Sabbath. The urban sprawl here is horrendous. I usually take a long bike ride without music or anything on the green bay trail, which heads north from Chicago through Evanston and far beyond. A little fresh air, exercise, sunshine, prairie flowers, and meditation on the sermon doeth the soul like good medicine.

6. Jennifer says:

Your comment about not being able to sabbath at home made me curious. How are you defining sabbath? In the original context, sabbath was done right at home, among a persons stuff, and that was part of the point – learning to be content without striving about stuff. So, I’m curious if you really mean “vacation”? Nothing wrong with vacation, but slightly different than sabbath.

• Eugene Cho says:

Jennifer – You’re right about what it was intended for. It’s tough to take a “day” to do those very things in the midst of my stuff because it’s easy to have the day become a day about me – my wants, my work, my emails, my chores, my stuff…

So, even if it’s not a vacation, I have found taking a few hours away to be rest and rejoice in the Lord to be helpful when I return to be amidst my stuff.

7. chad m says:

cascades camp. yes! love the pics and love that you can get away there. we’re trying to build something like that into our family schedule this year as well man. hopefully i’ll have something positive to share after our getaway next week!

8. .elise.anne. says:

from my home in MN, i went to seattle & vancouver for my sabbath vacation rest this year (last week), and worshipped with this awesome community called quest church … 🙂

To support both the equality of women and the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but I know we're not alone. May we press on. And may we lead with hope.

I'm at the Women's March in Seattle to show my solidarity with my wife, my mothers, my daughters, and the female congregants of my church. I'm also here to model for my son what we believe in our home. Many people have already expressed their disappointment, dismay, and disgust with my decision. Such is life. We will always disappoint someone. And that's also a lot of words that begin with "d." I'm here not because I agree or disagree with every single statement or sign at this march (although I really liked this one) but because as a Christian, I believe in the fundamental truth that women are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. They are to be valued, heard, and respected.

And because I believe we can't be a flourishing society without the flourishing of women. And because the Church cannot be the Church without the gifts and voices of women. All the gifts of women.

And in doing so, may we together honor the sanctity of life - from womb to tomb. Collaboration.

col·lab·o·ra·tion
kəˌlabəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the action of working with someone or a group of others  to produce or create something.

May we hold our logos, egos, and tribalism have their place. May we hold them loosely for they too shall pass. May we collaborate for the sake of the greater Kingdom of God ... which endures forever. As we honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., don't forget the God behind the man. The one true God who deposited this dream into MLK is still speaking to us today. Are we listening?

Be courageous. Be brave.

Being invited by the King Family to speak at the MLK worship service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in 2016 remains one of the most unexpected honors of my life. On the right is his daughter, Dr. Bernice King and his sister, Dr. Christine King Farris. Walking throughstreet markets in different parts of the world is the best. Soaking in the culture. Listening to the local language and music. Enjoying the amazing cuisine. Meeting new friends. Praying for the Gospel to penetrate. #ChiangRai Blessed be the local, indigenous leaders for it is they who live in the very communities they seek to love. For it is they who understand their context and culture...better than a Westerner ever will. For it is they who will continue to tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love when visitors like me leave.

Yes, blessed be the local, indigenous leaders. What an honor and privilege to celebrate with the on-the-ground local @thefreedomstory team to celebrate the recent opening of their Education and Resource Center for the local youth in Chiang Rai, Thailanf. This was made possible through a partnership and matching grant by @onedayswages and The Freedom Story.

While it was an honor to be there to cut the cord and say a few words, this is an example of collaboration. Much love to the Freedom Story team including their co-founders Tawee Donchai and @Rachel Goble, to their staff who live in the community, who understand their context and culture, and who tenaciously pursue a better world with hope, justice and love. And of course, much love to the students themselves for they each matter. Finally, to each person that donated to @onedayswages to make this grant possible.

May hundreds and even thousands of youth be impacted, encouraged, and mentored. May they capture a glimpse of God's love for them.

Photo: @benjaminedwards

• Really loved this sign from the women's march from one of our church congregants. Counter cultural. Subversive. L… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn can be lonely but we're not alone. Lead with hope: instagram.com/p/BPjMGTOhMjL/ || 5 hours ago
  • To support both the equality of women & the dignity of the unborn feels like a very lonely place to be but we're not alone. May we press on. || 8 hours ago
  • Going to the Women's March in Seattle bc as a Christian, I believe women are fearfully and wonderfully made and are to be heard & respected. || 11 hours ago
  • Christians: May we be guided by the Scriptures that remind us, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" and not, "Seek first the kingdom of America." || 12 hours ago
  • God bless America...so that we may be a blessing to the hurting, poor, vulnerable, immigrants, oppressed, marginalized. God bless America. || 1 day ago