apparently, god doesn’t answer my prayers about soccer matches..

Everyone has World Cup fever and why not, it’s a beautiful game so I was thrilled to have my two teams advanced to the round of 16. Like a brilliant theologian, I tweeted the above

But apparently, God doesn’t answer prayers about sporting events or about my request to God bless Korea and USA and no one else… Don’t get all riled up and call the Theology Police.

But, come on!

Korea loses. After the equalizer goal, they let up and play defensive and just like that, Uruguay goes up and wins 2-1. Lesson: Don’t let up.

USA loses – and again gives up a goal early in the match. I seriously think that if they didn’t have to play the first 20 minutes, they’d win the World Cup. Lesson: Start strong.

Questions:

• Is your team still in?
  • Who do you think will win?
  • Have you become a soccer fan as a result of the World Cup?
  • Will futbol ever truly catch on the United States?

I was all ready for the ultimate Korea – USA match in the quarterfinals. I even stayed up last night to color this beautiful piece of art:

Filed under: , , , , , , ,

1. Rafael Faria says:

hahaha, you can now cheer on Brazil!

2. do you really think if there were a god, he would care about petty things like this? and oh, yeah, how typically american: god bless us AND NO ONE ELSE.

3. hey :)) off topic: you look like john minus kate and the 8

4. La SuSea says:

My team (the socceroos) are out but i’m still enjoying the World Cup. Maybe you can cheer for Ghana 😉

5. my team didn’t even qualify to the world cup 🙂 there’s always someone to cheer for, or at least to boo against.

6. Linda says:

I was waiting for a flight at Midway this afternoon and got to bar hop as we walked and waited for our flight–not drinking but watching the game. I may have been the only one to jump and cheer for Ghana–but I loved that they did so well. Team USA represents a country that has had so many victories, while Team Ghana represents a country and a continent that hasn’t had near enough wins. I think it is really fun to think of people huddled around TVs in the homes of friends and family watching and cheering as their team brought them a very sweet victory today. They will cherish this win for a very long time. We on the other hand–wouldn’t have cared about a win as long as they will celebrate theirs. Go Ghana!And Go USA and S Korea for playing as long and as well as I, a non-soccer fan, thinks you did!

7. jchenwa says:

Not a futbol fan myself, but having played it in a league, I can respect that it’s a great sport. There will always be those who find expression and peace-oneness in this sport and excel in it, and love it. Whether it gets big is all in the hands of GOD, and someone with the bucks and connections to propel it to the limelight. My 3 cents! Cheers!

8. Ben says:

On the second match, you got outprayed by hundreds of millions of Africans.

9. neu says:

Well, I’ve always supported Ghana, and loved it when they made it. It was a good game.

10. “The greatest feeling in the world is when your on that soccer field, and you know that your team is going to succeed because you look around and see your 10 best friends playing beside you.”

11. […] a more humorous take… apparently, God does not answer my prayers for soccer… Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)U.S. soccer — goal of the yearToo early to write […]

12. Steve says:

I have made the same discovery about prayers and my sporting teams as well. However, when my son was between the ages of five and ten, it seemed like his prayers for sporting teams were unstoppable.

13. Kacie says:

From here on out, I’ll root for the underdogs. Netherlands and Spain have never won before, and both have a good chance. If Japan, Ghana, or any of the REALLY unlikely underdogs continue to make it through, I’ll be thrilled. 🙂

I do think the World Cup is catching on. In the cities, the sports bars and pubs are packed to the gills on big game days, and usually with people that don’t normally watch soccer. It’s fun to watch the enthusiasm spread!

14. Peter Jang says:

yeah that last part about “and no one else” made me laugh… but my final match prediction is Brazil vs. Argentina and Brazil winning by 1.

15. it seems i have a fan here 🙂 i keep receving visits on my blog, referred by this page. now i don’t know if it’s you, ‘gene, or someone else here – but thank you, and you’re welcome back. i like to think that my blog is quite frequently updated, not daily, but there are days with more than one post. so be my guest(s) 🙂 god bless my blog and no one else’s

16. y9manageo4 says:

Simarc ltd If you from real estate of the realm in a slues of countries then you should also glimpse if the software has the genius of queer languages and currency.Your software should also be skilled to observe to with payments you bequeath net from your clients. This is the indicate after a room as far as any annulment fees that you may command people.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• The meaning of Memorial Day - through the eyes of my 81-yr-old father who was 14 yrs old when the Korean war began:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 8 hours ago
  • Remember the fallen. Honor our soldiers. Pray for leaders. And remember that we serve the Kingdom of God rather than the Empire of Nations. || 13 hours ago
  • We sometimes forget that heroes are real & ordinary people who demonstrate kindness & love. Thank you, Ricky Best &… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • In a world with much noise & clutter, we must create space to hear God's voice. Embrace solitude & silence. Sabbath. Pray. Listen. Breathe. || 3 days ago
  • "Being partisan is different than being political; discipleship means speaking into politics for common good." -… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 days ago
  • "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 5 days ago