apparently, god doesn’t answer my prayers about soccer matches..

Everyone has World Cup fever and why not, it’s a beautiful game so I was thrilled to have my two teams advanced to the round of 16. Like a brilliant theologian, I tweeted the above

But apparently, God doesn’t answer prayers about sporting events or about my request to God bless Korea and USA and no one else…ย Don’t get all riled up and call the Theology Police.

But, come on!

Korea loses. After the equalizer goal, they let up and play defensive and just like that, Uruguay goes up and wins 2-1. Lesson: Don’t let up.

USA loses – and again gives up a goal early in the match. I seriously think that if they didn’t have to play the first 20 minutes, they’d win the World Cup. Lesson: Start strong.

Questions:

• Is your team still in?
  • Who do you think will win?
  • Have you become a soccer fan as a result of the World Cup?
  • Will futbol ever truly catch on the United States?

I was all ready for the ultimate Korea – USA match in the quarterfinals. I even stayed up last night to color this beautiful piece of art:

Filed under: , , , , , , ,

1. Rafael Faria says:

hahaha, you can now cheer on Brazil!

2. do you really think if there were a god, he would care about petty things like this? and oh, yeah, how typically american: god bless us AND NO ONE ELSE.

3. hey :)) off topic: you look like john minus kate and the 8

4. La SuSea says:

My team (the socceroos) are out but i’m still enjoying the World Cup. Maybe you can cheer for Ghana ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. my team didn’t even qualify to the world cup ๐Ÿ™‚ there’s always someone to cheer for, or at least to boo against.

6. Linda says:

I was waiting for a flight at Midway this afternoon and got to bar hop as we walked and waited for our flight–not drinking but watching the game. I may have been the only one to jump and cheer for Ghana–but I loved that they did so well. Team USA represents a country that has had so many victories, while Team Ghana represents a country and a continent that hasn’t had near enough wins. I think it is really fun to think of people huddled around TVs in the homes of friends and family watching and cheering as their team brought them a very sweet victory today. They will cherish this win for a very long time. We on the other hand–wouldn’t have cared about a win as long as they will celebrate theirs. Go Ghana!And Go USA and S Korea for playing as long and as well as I, a non-soccer fan, thinks you did!

7. jchenwa says:

Not a futbol fan myself, but having played it in a league, I can respect that it’s a great sport. There will always be those who find expression and peace-oneness in this sport and excel in it, and love it. Whether it gets big is all in the hands of GOD, and someone with the bucks and connections to propel it to the limelight. My 3 cents! Cheers!

8. Ben says:

On the second match, you got outprayed by hundreds of millions of Africans.

9. neu says:

Well, I’ve always supported Ghana, and loved it when they made it. It was a good game.

10. โ€œThe greatest feeling in the world is when your on that soccer field, and you know that your team is going to succeed because you look around and see your 10 best friends playing beside you.โ€

11. […] a more humorous take… apparently, God does not answer my prayers for soccer… Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)U.S. soccer โ€” goal of the yearToo early to write […]

12. Steve says:

I have made the same discovery about prayers and my sporting teams as well. However, when my son was between the ages of five and ten, it seemed like his prayers for sporting teams were unstoppable.

13. Kacie says:

From here on out, I’ll root for the underdogs. Netherlands and Spain have never won before, and both have a good chance. If Japan, Ghana, or any of the REALLY unlikely underdogs continue to make it through, I’ll be thrilled. ๐Ÿ™‚

I do think the World Cup is catching on. In the cities, the sports bars and pubs are packed to the gills on big game days, and usually with people that don’t normally watch soccer. It’s fun to watch the enthusiasm spread!

14. Peter Jang says:

yeah that last part about “and no one else” made me laugh… but my final match prediction is Brazil vs. Argentina and Brazil winning by 1.

15. it seems i have a fan here ๐Ÿ™‚ i keep receving visits on my blog, referred by this page. now i don’t know if it’s you, ‘gene, or someone else here – but thank you, and you’re welcome back. i like to think that my blog is quite frequently updated, not daily, but there are days with more than one post. so be my guest(s) ๐Ÿ™‚ god bless my blog and no one else’s

16. y9manageo4 says:

Simarc ltd If you from real estate of the realm in a slues of countries then you should also glimpse if the software has the genius of queer languages and currency.Your software should also be skilled to observe to with payments you bequeath net from your clients. This is the indicate after a room as far as any annulment fees that you may command people.

Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. Thanks for your prayers.
I have numerous stories to share but for now, the following came up in every conversation with Iraqi/Syrian refugees:

1 Have tea with us. Or coffee. Or juice. Or something with lots of sugar in it. Or better yet, all of the above.
2 We want peace. We want security.
3 We hate ISIS.
4 We just want to go home.
5 Please don't forget us.

Please don't forget them... Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 2 days ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 2 days ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 4 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how tโ€ฆ twitter.com/i/web/status/9โ€ฆ || 6 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 6 days ago