apparently, god doesn’t answer my prayers about soccer matches..

Everyone has World Cup fever and why not, it’s a beautiful game so I was thrilled to have my two teams advanced to the round of 16. Like a brilliant theologian, I tweeted the above

But apparently, God doesn’t answer prayers about sporting events or about my request to God bless Korea and USA and no one else… Don’t get all riled up and call the Theology Police.

But, come on!

Korea loses. After the equalizer goal, they let up and play defensive and just like that, Uruguay goes up and wins 2-1. Lesson: Don’t let up.

USA loses – and again gives up a goal early in the match. I seriously think that if they didn’t have to play the first 20 minutes, they’d win the World Cup. Lesson: Start strong.

Questions:

• Is your team still in?
  • Who do you think will win?
  • Have you become a soccer fan as a result of the World Cup?
  • Will futbol ever truly catch on the United States?

I was all ready for the ultimate Korea – USA match in the quarterfinals. I even stayed up last night to color this beautiful piece of art:

Filed under: , , , , , , ,

1. Rafael Faria says:

hahaha, you can now cheer on Brazil!

2. do you really think if there were a god, he would care about petty things like this? and oh, yeah, how typically american: god bless us AND NO ONE ELSE.

3. hey :)) off topic: you look like john minus kate and the 8

4. La SuSea says:

My team (the socceroos) are out but i’m still enjoying the World Cup. Maybe you can cheer for Ghana 😉

5. my team didn’t even qualify to the world cup 🙂 there’s always someone to cheer for, or at least to boo against.

6. Linda says:

I was waiting for a flight at Midway this afternoon and got to bar hop as we walked and waited for our flight–not drinking but watching the game. I may have been the only one to jump and cheer for Ghana–but I loved that they did so well. Team USA represents a country that has had so many victories, while Team Ghana represents a country and a continent that hasn’t had near enough wins. I think it is really fun to think of people huddled around TVs in the homes of friends and family watching and cheering as their team brought them a very sweet victory today. They will cherish this win for a very long time. We on the other hand–wouldn’t have cared about a win as long as they will celebrate theirs. Go Ghana!And Go USA and S Korea for playing as long and as well as I, a non-soccer fan, thinks you did!

7. jchenwa says:

Not a futbol fan myself, but having played it in a league, I can respect that it’s a great sport. There will always be those who find expression and peace-oneness in this sport and excel in it, and love it. Whether it gets big is all in the hands of GOD, and someone with the bucks and connections to propel it to the limelight. My 3 cents! Cheers!

8. Ben says:

On the second match, you got outprayed by hundreds of millions of Africans.

9. neu says:

Well, I’ve always supported Ghana, and loved it when they made it. It was a good game.

10. “The greatest feeling in the world is when your on that soccer field, and you know that your team is going to succeed because you look around and see your 10 best friends playing beside you.”

11. […] a more humorous take… apparently, God does not answer my prayers for soccer… Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)U.S. soccer — goal of the yearToo early to write […]

12. Steve says:

I have made the same discovery about prayers and my sporting teams as well. However, when my son was between the ages of five and ten, it seemed like his prayers for sporting teams were unstoppable.

13. Kacie says:

From here on out, I’ll root for the underdogs. Netherlands and Spain have never won before, and both have a good chance. If Japan, Ghana, or any of the REALLY unlikely underdogs continue to make it through, I’ll be thrilled. 🙂

I do think the World Cup is catching on. In the cities, the sports bars and pubs are packed to the gills on big game days, and usually with people that don’t normally watch soccer. It’s fun to watch the enthusiasm spread!

14. Peter Jang says:

yeah that last part about “and no one else” made me laugh… but my final match prediction is Brazil vs. Argentina and Brazil winning by 1.

15. it seems i have a fan here 🙂 i keep receving visits on my blog, referred by this page. now i don’t know if it’s you, ‘gene, or someone else here – but thank you, and you’re welcome back. i like to think that my blog is quite frequently updated, not daily, but there are days with more than one post. so be my guest(s) 🙂 god bless my blog and no one else’s

16. y9manageo4 says:

Simarc ltd If you from real estate of the realm in a slues of countries then you should also glimpse if the software has the genius of queer languages and currency.Your software should also be skilled to observe to with payments you bequeath net from your clients. This is the indicate after a room as far as any annulment fees that you may command people.

The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.

Taking a break from the sabbatical...to partner in ministry in Denver at Cherry Hills Church and at the CRU staff conference. It was such a gift to be able to encourage a handful of folks one-to-one, a small group of Asian-American leaders from EPIC, and the larger group of 5000 staff during one of the sessions.

I've been personally blessed, challenged, encouraged, exhorted, and convicted by so many who have poured into my life - friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - and I hope to do that for others as I seek to be faithful to Christ.

Thank you, Lord.
#cru17 Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns.

• The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. || 19 hours ago
  • Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. instagram.com/p/BW-64QmA3ji/ || 20 hours ago
  • RT @bj116: Love without Truth leads to liberalism. Truth without love leads to legalism. But Truth working with Love leads to a Gospel tran… || 2 days ago
  • There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others. || 3 days ago
  • Nature is one of my love languages. - instagram.com/p/BW0uNlng0If/ || 4 days ago
  • Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it. Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. || 6 days ago