apparently, god doesn’t answer my prayers about soccer matches..

Everyone has World Cup fever and why not, it’s a beautiful game so I was thrilled to have my two teams advanced to the round of 16. Like a brilliant theologian, I tweeted the above

But apparently, God doesn’t answer prayers about sporting events or about my request to God bless Korea and USA and no one else… Don’t get all riled up and call the Theology Police.

But, come on!

Korea loses. After the equalizer goal, they let up and play defensive and just like that, Uruguay goes up and wins 2-1. Lesson: Don’t let up.

USA loses – and again gives up a goal early in the match. I seriously think that if they didn’t have to play the first 20 minutes, they’d win the World Cup. Lesson: Start strong.

Questions:

• Is your team still in?
  • Who do you think will win?
  • Have you become a soccer fan as a result of the World Cup?
  • Will futbol ever truly catch on the United States?

I was all ready for the ultimate Korea – USA match in the quarterfinals. I even stayed up last night to color this beautiful piece of art:

Filed under: , , , , , , ,

1. Rafael Faria says:

hahaha, you can now cheer on Brazil!

2. do you really think if there were a god, he would care about petty things like this? and oh, yeah, how typically american: god bless us AND NO ONE ELSE.

3. hey :)) off topic: you look like john minus kate and the 8

4. La SuSea says:

My team (the socceroos) are out but i’m still enjoying the World Cup. Maybe you can cheer for Ghana 😉

5. my team didn’t even qualify to the world cup 🙂 there’s always someone to cheer for, or at least to boo against.

6. Linda says:

I was waiting for a flight at Midway this afternoon and got to bar hop as we walked and waited for our flight–not drinking but watching the game. I may have been the only one to jump and cheer for Ghana–but I loved that they did so well. Team USA represents a country that has had so many victories, while Team Ghana represents a country and a continent that hasn’t had near enough wins. I think it is really fun to think of people huddled around TVs in the homes of friends and family watching and cheering as their team brought them a very sweet victory today. They will cherish this win for a very long time. We on the other hand–wouldn’t have cared about a win as long as they will celebrate theirs. Go Ghana!And Go USA and S Korea for playing as long and as well as I, a non-soccer fan, thinks you did!

7. jchenwa says:

Not a futbol fan myself, but having played it in a league, I can respect that it’s a great sport. There will always be those who find expression and peace-oneness in this sport and excel in it, and love it. Whether it gets big is all in the hands of GOD, and someone with the bucks and connections to propel it to the limelight. My 3 cents! Cheers!

8. Ben says:

On the second match, you got outprayed by hundreds of millions of Africans.

9. neu says:

Well, I’ve always supported Ghana, and loved it when they made it. It was a good game.

10. “The greatest feeling in the world is when your on that soccer field, and you know that your team is going to succeed because you look around and see your 10 best friends playing beside you.”

11. […] a more humorous take… apparently, God does not answer my prayers for soccer… Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)U.S. soccer — goal of the yearToo early to write […]

12. Steve says:

I have made the same discovery about prayers and my sporting teams as well. However, when my son was between the ages of five and ten, it seemed like his prayers for sporting teams were unstoppable.

13. Kacie says:

From here on out, I’ll root for the underdogs. Netherlands and Spain have never won before, and both have a good chance. If Japan, Ghana, or any of the REALLY unlikely underdogs continue to make it through, I’ll be thrilled. 🙂

I do think the World Cup is catching on. In the cities, the sports bars and pubs are packed to the gills on big game days, and usually with people that don’t normally watch soccer. It’s fun to watch the enthusiasm spread!

14. Peter Jang says:

yeah that last part about “and no one else” made me laugh… but my final match prediction is Brazil vs. Argentina and Brazil winning by 1.

15. it seems i have a fan here 🙂 i keep receving visits on my blog, referred by this page. now i don’t know if it’s you, ‘gene, or someone else here – but thank you, and you’re welcome back. i like to think that my blog is quite frequently updated, not daily, but there are days with more than one post. so be my guest(s) 🙂 god bless my blog and no one else’s

16. y9manageo4 says:

Simarc ltd If you from real estate of the realm in a slues of countries then you should also glimpse if the software has the genius of queer languages and currency.Your software should also be skilled to observe to with payments you bequeath net from your clients. This is the indicate after a room as far as any annulment fees that you may command people.

Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on. I have to remind myself of this every day...because I can forget every day:

Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a good neighbor. It's a sad reality but our society runs on the currency of fear. Don't feed into this frenzy.

Rather, invest in faith, hope, and love.