how fast time flies…

The phrase:

How fast time flies….

has been on my lips, heart, and soul in this season of my life. Call it my mid-life “reflection” as I approach the big 40 in October.

How do I know I’m aging?

Well, I’m reminded every day as I see my kids and trust me if you don’t have children…they grow up so quickly.

My youngest child turned 7 years old yesterday. He’s now in 2nd grade, and my two daughters are turning 10 and 12 later this year. Not that long ago, Minhee and I were playing with our baby boy:

Happy Birthday to my son. He is such a treasure and delight and I am so proud to be his father. As I guide, love, and shepherd my son…I also can’t wait to see what awaits him over his life.

And if you want a great laugh, read this story about my son asking my wife to marry her. It still cracks me up.

Filed under: , , ,

1. Jason says:

My two daughters are 6.5 and 20 months but I do know already what you mean in this post. Got to just enjoy each moment with them and invest NOW.

2. jchenwa says:

Happy Birthday to your son!

3. georgesong says:

happy bday to that rascal… the force runs strong in that one!

4. David says:

It’s a beautiful day to be born. He made a good choice!

5. stacy says:

got a little teary-eyed seeing the pics and video…never thought I would be old enough to say I’ve watched someone grow up since birth before I met your kids. truly a blessing…love, love, love them!!

• Eugene Cho says:

stacy: i remember you and gordon visiting us at the hospital and praying for jedi. wow.

and now, you have a kid and another one coming…

thank gordon again for the basketball hoop from the video.

we love you guys.

Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.
Amazing grace. Hairstyles change. Sideburn fads come and go but may our commitment to love, honor, respect, and be on mission together for Christ never waver.

Thank you, Minhee. I love you so much even if you made fun of my hairstyle and sideburns. I missed you, Seattle. Grateful for a time to pray, rest, retreat, read, reflect, and sabbath. I've spent the last 12 days in the woods alone. Competely alone. It's been both haunting and refreshing. Haunting because of loneliness. Refreshing because through the silence, I am reminded - again - that I'm not alone. Emmanuel.

Also, bought myself a cheap kayak and loving the solitude time in nature. Also, the kayak is paying instant dividends in my bass fishing game. #sabbathrest #bassfishing #catchandrelease There's nothing selfish about rest and self-care. We can't give what we don't have. Experience life and we'll be life-giving to others. Amen.

#NoteToSelf