how fast time flies…

The phrase:

How fast time flies….

has been on my lips, heart, and soul in this season of my life. Call it my mid-life “reflection” as I approach the big 40 in October.

How do I know I’m aging?

Well, I’m reminded every day as I see my kids and trust me if you don’t have children…they grow up so quickly.

My youngest child turned 7 years old yesterday. He’s now in 2nd grade, and my two daughters are turning 10 and 12 later this year. Not that long ago, Minhee and I were playing with our baby boy:

Happy Birthday to my son. He is such a treasure and delight and I am so proud to be his father. As I guide, love, and shepherd my son…I also can’t wait to see what awaits him over his life.

And if you want a great laugh, read this story about my son asking my wife to marry her. It still cracks me up.

Filed under: , , ,

1. Jason says:

My two daughters are 6.5 and 20 months but I do know already what you mean in this post. Got to just enjoy each moment with them and invest NOW.

2. jchenwa says:

Happy Birthday to your son!

3. georgesong says:

happy bday to that rascal… the force runs strong in that one!

4. David says:

It’s a beautiful day to be born. He made a good choice!

5. stacy says:

got a little teary-eyed seeing the pics and video…never thought I would be old enough to say I’ve watched someone grow up since birth before I met your kids. truly a blessing…love, love, love them!!

• Eugene Cho says:

stacy: i remember you and gordon visiting us at the hospital and praying for jedi. wow.

and now, you have a kid and another one coming…

thank gordon again for the basketball hoop from the video.

we love you guys.

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.