how fast time flies…

The phrase:

How fast time flies….

has been on my lips, heart, and soul in this season of my life. Call it my mid-life “reflection” as I approach the big 40 in October.

How do I know I’m aging?

Well, I’m reminded every day as I see my kids and trust me if you don’t have children…they grow up so quickly.

My youngest child turned 7 years old yesterday. He’s now in 2nd grade, and my two daughters are turning 10 and 12 later this year. Not that long ago, Minhee and I were playing with our baby boy:

Happy Birthday to my son. He is such a treasure and delight and I am so proud to be his father. As I guide, love, and shepherd my son…I also can’t wait to see what awaits him over his life.

And if you want a great laugh, read this story about my son asking my wife to marry her. It still cracks me up.

Filed under: , , ,

1. Jason says:

My two daughters are 6.5 and 20 months but I do know already what you mean in this post. Got to just enjoy each moment with them and invest NOW.

2. jchenwa says:

Happy Birthday to your son!

3. georgesong says:

happy bday to that rascal… the force runs strong in that one!

4. David says:

It’s a beautiful day to be born. He made a good choice!

5. stacy says:

got a little teary-eyed seeing the pics and video…never thought I would be old enough to say I’ve watched someone grow up since birth before I met your kids. truly a blessing…love, love, love them!!

• Eugene Cho says:

stacy: i remember you and gordon visiting us at the hospital and praying for jedi. wow.

and now, you have a kid and another one coming…

thank gordon again for the basketball hoop from the video.

we love you guys.

#notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working
on ourselves
even as we seek
to change the world.
To be about the latter
without the former
is the great temptation
of our times. Minhee and I are filled with gratitude as we reflect on the @onedayswages gala last night. So many friends and guests came to support our work...and of course, our scrappy staff, interns, and board. In 8 years, we've impacted 561,000 people around the world that are living in extreme poverty and vulnerable situations. This year, we are expecting to have our largest investment of grants at $1.3 million! Over the next couple weeks, I'm going to share some of those stories of impact.

But we need your help to keep growing this work. Because our pledge is for 100% of all donations to go directly to our partnerships, we're asking folks from around the world to consider becoming one of core supporters by simply pledging $25/month to support our operations. Go to give.onedayswages.org for more info.

photo: @vinylee