speaking at TEDx

Hey friends,

I’ll be posting up a schedule of my speaking events for the rest of the year in the next couple days but wanted to put a heads up for the Northwest community in case you were interested in attending the TEDx Seattle next Friday, April 16 (8.30am-5pm) at the Pacific Science Center (IMAX Theater). I have the honor of speaking about the impact of social media, action, and the story of One Day’s Wages. I’m thinking of titling my chat:  “We are the most over-rated generation in human history.”

For those that also enjoy the TED talks, share some of your FAVORITE videos?

For those that are not familiar with TED:

TED is a nonprofit that started in 1984 as a conference dedicated to bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design (TED). Devoted to “Ideas Worth Spreading,” TED created TEDx, a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. This event is called TEDxSeattle where x = independently organized TED event. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group.

And specifically about the TEDx Seattle:

“This regional TEDx event will bring together great minds in creativity, scholarship, and entrepreneurship to discuss the possibilities and prospects of social development enhanced through information technologies. Inspiring projects and innovative leaders from Seattle to Cape Town will be showcased in this day-long conference.”

There are only 300 seats available and supposedly a 1000+ requests for tickets have been made for the lottery selection. If you’re interested in going, register for a lottery ticket. It’ll be great to see a couple “known” faces in the crowd for support. Admission is $50 and $25/students. Gaging from the lineup, it should be a fascinating event:

CREATE 9:00-10:30

Scott Macklin – Convening Community through Stories
Elan Lee – The Evolution of Storytelling
Gaetano Borello – Personalizing Public Health
Martha Gonzalez – Fandango Without Borders

IMAGINE 11:00-12:00

Greg Bear – Too Much Information
Ignacio Mas – Everyone Needs a Safe Place to Save
Sapna Cheryan – Stereotypes as Gatekeepers

ACT 1:00-2:30

Fiona Lee and David Edelstein – Innovation in Information Access: Harnessing the Potential of the Mobile Phone
Ron Kabrill – Beyond the Bright Shiny New Thing
Amanda Koster – In Steve Biko’s Backyard
Eugene Cho – One Day’s Wages

DELIVER 3:00-4:00

Ben Huh – Convening Community & Company Direction Through Life Goals
Sarah Stuteville – America in 5
Debra Music and Joe Whinney – Doing Well While Doing Good; The Sweet Story of Theo Chocolate

Filed under: , , , ,

1. Johnny Laird says:

Glad to know you’re going to be speaking at a TEDx event, Eugene.

I’m sure you’ll give them something to think about

Good folks!

J

2. r2k says:

Wow, so many favorite talks:

Have to share Ken Robinson talking about education:

And Bill Strickland talking about bringing world class education to inner cities:

Oh, and Chimamanda Adichie’s The danger of a single story:

…and maybe soon (if the videos go up) Eugene Cho’s talk?

3. r2k says:

Oh wait, those links didn’t work…

Wow, so many favorite talks:

Have to share Ken Robinson talking about education

Oh, and Chimamanda Adichie’s The danger of a single story

…and maybe soon (if the videos go up) Eugene Cho’s talk?

4. Kyle Reed says:

By far one of my favorites:

He talks about how schools kill creativity

5. KJ says:

Malcom Gladwell explains spaghetti sauce – strangely captivating… Check it out: http://www.ted.com/talks/malcolm_gladwell_on_spaghetti_sauce.html

6. Jim Martin says:

Eugene, so glad to hear that you are doing a TED talk. I look forward to hearing you (via video). I enjoy your blog. I think this may be the first comment I’ve left.

7. The Chiz says:

Whatever you do, do NOT, under any circumstances, release the Pastor Cho Flow, from San Fran Cis-co. That will blow too many minds. Save that for round 2. Godspeed tomorrow!

8. Dong-Titus Kim says:

i second many of the lectures.

a.j. jacobs was great. the book was even better.

ken robinson – entertaining AND inspirational

i’ll rank mine in the following ways:

interesting:

entertaining:

inspirational:

looking forward to your talk!

My Padawan. My son. My youngest. Encouraging him to not just hit the hoop courts but also the books. Minhee and I met these college boys when we first arrived in Seattle in 1997. They were part of our bible study that we led in our apartment for college students. They were also among the group of 7 people that helped start @seattlequest.

Much has changed in the world...but not their friendship and love. Thank you Jin and George. We love and honor you. These are crazy times in our country and larger world but nevertheless, we're going to keep pursuing the things that God has placed upon our hearts. We're pressing forward...doing our part to reflect mercy, compassion, and justice - locally and globally.

Wednesdays are my @onedayswages office day and I especially love the culmination of hard work for our interns, volunteers, 2 full-time staff, and board as we collaborate with our NGO partners. This week, we signed these checks as we granted out over $75,000 to provide better health care for mothers and their families in Mali and Nepal.

THANK YOU for making this possible Your classic play it cool because you're visiting your old stomping grounds at Princeton and pretend you're not cold but in actuality, you're freezing picture. 20 years, 2 weeks, and counting. What a journey with this woman. I love her...and I want to keep growing in love, honor, and respect. Great to catch up with @jlin7 in Brooklyn at the Nets game. Grateful for his partnership with @onedayswages to support our Girls' Empowerment Fund. The season hasn't been what he hoped for with major injuries...but we can't wait to see you back on the court soon and do what you do. Stay encouraged, brother. Thanks for your faithful witness for Christ.