speaking at TEDx

Hey friends,

I’ll be posting up a schedule of my speaking events for the rest of the year in the next couple days but wanted to put a heads up for the Northwest community in case you were interested in attending the TEDx Seattle next Friday, April 16 (8.30am-5pm) at the Pacific Science Center (IMAX Theater). I have the honor of speaking about the impact of social media, action, and the story of One Day’s Wages. I’m thinking of titling my chat:  “We are the most over-rated generation in human history.”

For those that also enjoy the TED talks, share some of your FAVORITE videos?

For those that are not familiar with TED:

TED is a nonprofit that started in 1984 as a conference dedicated to bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design (TED). Devoted to “Ideas Worth Spreading,” TED created TEDx, a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. This event is called TEDxSeattle where x = independently organized TED event. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group.

And specifically about the TEDx Seattle:

“This regional TEDx event will bring together great minds in creativity, scholarship, and entrepreneurship to discuss the possibilities and prospects of social development enhanced through information technologies. Inspiring projects and innovative leaders from Seattle to Cape Town will be showcased in this day-long conference.”

There are only 300 seats available and supposedly a 1000+ requests for tickets have been made for the lottery selection. If you’re interested in going, register for a lottery ticket. It’ll be great to see a couple “known” faces in the crowd for support. Admission is $50 and $25/students. Gaging from the lineup, it should be a fascinating event:

CREATE 9:00-10:30

Scott Macklin – Convening Community through Stories
Elan Lee – The Evolution of Storytelling
Gaetano Borello – Personalizing Public Health
Martha Gonzalez – Fandango Without Borders

IMAGINE 11:00-12:00

Greg Bear – Too Much Information
Ignacio Mas – Everyone Needs a Safe Place to Save
Sapna Cheryan – Stereotypes as Gatekeepers

ACT 1:00-2:30

Fiona Lee and David Edelstein – Innovation in Information Access: Harnessing the Potential of the Mobile Phone
Ron Kabrill – Beyond the Bright Shiny New Thing
Amanda Koster – In Steve Biko’s Backyard
Eugene Cho – One Day’s Wages

DELIVER 3:00-4:00

Ben Huh – Convening Community & Company Direction Through Life Goals
Sarah Stuteville – America in 5
Debra Music and Joe Whinney – Doing Well While Doing Good; The Sweet Story of Theo Chocolate

Filed under: , , , ,

1. Johnny Laird says:

Glad to know you’re going to be speaking at a TEDx event, Eugene.

I’m sure you’ll give them something to think about

Good folks!

J

2. r2k says:

Wow, so many favorite talks:

Have to share Ken Robinson talking about education:

And Bill Strickland talking about bringing world class education to inner cities:

Oh, and Chimamanda Adichie’s The danger of a single story:

…and maybe soon (if the videos go up) Eugene Cho’s talk?

3. r2k says:

Oh wait, those links didn’t work…

Wow, so many favorite talks:

Have to share Ken Robinson talking about education

Oh, and Chimamanda Adichie’s The danger of a single story

…and maybe soon (if the videos go up) Eugene Cho’s talk?

4. Kyle Reed says:

By far one of my favorites:

He talks about how schools kill creativity

5. KJ says:

Malcom Gladwell explains spaghetti sauce – strangely captivating… Check it out: http://www.ted.com/talks/malcolm_gladwell_on_spaghetti_sauce.html

6. Jim Martin says:

Eugene, so glad to hear that you are doing a TED talk. I look forward to hearing you (via video). I enjoy your blog. I think this may be the first comment I’ve left.

7. The Chiz says:

Whatever you do, do NOT, under any circumstances, release the Pastor Cho Flow, from San Fran Cis-co. That will blow too many minds. Save that for round 2. Godspeed tomorrow!

8. Dong-Titus Kim says:

i second many of the lectures.

a.j. jacobs was great. the book was even better.

ken robinson – entertaining AND inspirational

i’ll rank mine in the following ways:

interesting:

entertaining:

inspirational:

looking forward to your talk!

Junior high - Check
14th birthday - Check
Tallest in family - Check
Selfie Master - Check

Still my baby son! This was 10 years ago. I dominated my son in wrestling and I know what you're thinking, "How could you employ a rear chokehold armbar kimura on your own son?" Hey, a competition is a competition.

I love you, son. The world is broken. This ia a sad truth. But the story of redemption is not yet finished. God is not yet done. This is the ultimate Truth. Have hope. Press on. Ten years ago, I witnessed one of those "God things" when a church called Interbay Covenant Church gave itself, its legacy, and a building property worth $7 million dollars to @seattlequest. We were then only 5 years old.

Quest is an urban, multiethnic churchplant that started in 2001. We rented the facilities at Interbay Covenant Church - a predominantly older, mostly Anglo congregation with a rich 65 years history. After some time, Pastor Ray Bartel (senior pastor, Interbay) approached me with a "crazy idea" of Interbay "dying to itself and giving itself to Quest" for the sake of the greater Kingdom and the coming generations.

This eventually led to three years of many conversations and prayers. On June 3, 2007, the two churches officially came together to become one church. In giving itself, Interbay also shared their leadership, legacy, and stories. They also gave all of their assets without any strings and without any debt.

Their radical generosity and courage is what enabled Quest to grow - not just numerically - but deeper in discipleship, and deeper in missions - to the city of Seattle and beyond. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of this merger, we created a short film (check my FB page to see the video) to tell the story - so that our church and the next generations may never forget and that the larger Church may be stirred and encouraged by a greater Kingdom vision.

Thank you, Interbay! The NBA season is over but the hustle and grind continues for my daughter. We argue sometimes but I love training my daughter. She's working hard for her senior year next year. Starting point guard. She's improved a lot. She's one of the quickest players on the floor and has a great midrange jumper. But trying to get her to keep working on her handles, using her off hand and shoulder to protect the ball,  staying and dribbling the ball lower to the ground, and playing aggressive and downhill while remaining in control. That's what we're working on this week. #hoopdreams #ChovarBall Reunited with my favorite elephant, Buh'loom. We bonded earlier this year and I'd like to think that she recognized my voice. Also, appreciate learning about ethical and sustainable eco-tourism.