speaking at TEDx

Hey friends,

I’ll be posting up a schedule of my speaking events for the rest of the year in the next couple days but wanted to put a heads up for the Northwest community in case you were interested in attending the TEDx Seattle next Friday, April 16 (8.30am-5pm) at the Pacific Science Center (IMAX Theater). I have the honor of speaking about the impact of social media, action, and the story of One Day’s Wages. I’m thinking of titling my chat:  “We are the most over-rated generation in human history.”

For those that also enjoy the TED talks, share some of your FAVORITE videos?

For those that are not familiar with TED:

TED is a nonprofit that started in 1984 as a conference dedicated to bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design (TED). Devoted to “Ideas Worth Spreading,” TED created TEDx, a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. This event is called TEDxSeattle where x = independently organized TED event. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group.

And specifically about the TEDx Seattle:

“This regional TEDx event will bring together great minds in creativity, scholarship, and entrepreneurship to discuss the possibilities and prospects of social development enhanced through information technologies. Inspiring projects and innovative leaders from Seattle to Cape Town will be showcased in this day-long conference.”

There are only 300 seats available and supposedly a 1000+ requests for tickets have been made for the lottery selection. If you’re interested in going, register for a lottery ticket. It’ll be great to see a couple “known” faces in the crowd for support. Admission is $50 and $25/students. Gaging from the lineup, it should be a fascinating event:

CREATE 9:00-10:30

Scott Macklin – Convening Community through Stories
Elan Lee – The Evolution of Storytelling
Gaetano Borello – Personalizing Public Health
Martha Gonzalez – Fandango Without Borders

IMAGINE 11:00-12:00

Greg Bear – Too Much Information
Ignacio Mas – Everyone Needs a Safe Place to Save
Sapna Cheryan – Stereotypes as Gatekeepers

ACT 1:00-2:30

Fiona Lee and David Edelstein – Innovation in Information Access: Harnessing the Potential of the Mobile Phone
Ron Kabrill – Beyond the Bright Shiny New Thing
Amanda Koster – In Steve Biko’s Backyard
Eugene Cho – One Day’s Wages

DELIVER 3:00-4:00

Ben Huh – Convening Community & Company Direction Through Life Goals
Sarah Stuteville – America in 5
Debra Music and Joe Whinney – Doing Well While Doing Good; The Sweet Story of Theo Chocolate

Filed under: , , , ,

1. Johnny Laird says:

Glad to know you’re going to be speaking at a TEDx event, Eugene.

I’m sure you’ll give them something to think about

Good folks!

J

2. r2k says:

Wow, so many favorite talks:

Have to share Ken Robinson talking about education:

And Bill Strickland talking about bringing world class education to inner cities:

Oh, and Chimamanda Adichie’s The danger of a single story:

…and maybe soon (if the videos go up) Eugene Cho’s talk?

3. r2k says:

Oh wait, those links didn’t work…

Wow, so many favorite talks:

Have to share Ken Robinson talking about education

Oh, and Chimamanda Adichie’s The danger of a single story

…and maybe soon (if the videos go up) Eugene Cho’s talk?

4. Kyle Reed says:

By far one of my favorites:

He talks about how schools kill creativity

5. KJ says:

Malcom Gladwell explains spaghetti sauce – strangely captivating… Check it out: http://www.ted.com/talks/malcolm_gladwell_on_spaghetti_sauce.html

6. Jim Martin says:

Eugene, so glad to hear that you are doing a TED talk. I look forward to hearing you (via video). I enjoy your blog. I think this may be the first comment I’ve left.

7. The Chiz says:

Whatever you do, do NOT, under any circumstances, release the Pastor Cho Flow, from San Fran Cis-co. That will blow too many minds. Save that for round 2. Godspeed tomorrow!

8. Dong-Titus Kim says:

i second many of the lectures.

a.j. jacobs was great. the book was even better.

ken robinson – entertaining AND inspirational

i’ll rank mine in the following ways:

interesting:

entertaining:

inspirational:

looking forward to your talk!

Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle. I'm sharing an obligatory, "I love and appreciate my wife, she's amazing" photo. Also...because I did something naughty...or brilliant. ;) Seattle is in the midst of a crazy heatwave. Near 100 degrees, hazy, and humid. An excessive heat advisory warning has also been issued.

So, Minhee and I needed to run some errands. It waa horrible but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's also known as adulting.

So, I'm driving and the air conditioning seems to have minimal effect. Minhee is in the passenger's seat and umm, when she's not paying attention, I turn on her seat heater to 5 - the highest level. All along, she's complaining about how hot she is...for nearly an hour...until she finally realizes what I did.

Bam. Boom. Gotcha.

Minhee, I love you!

• RT @mrmedina: When Bryan Stevenson speaks, we do well to listen. https://t.co/o5GJD0KWR2 || 12 hours ago
  • "Mourn with those who mourn." Lifting up the people of Sierra Leone in prayers. Hundreds dead and many more missing… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 14 hours ago
  • Dear Barcelona: We are so sorry. We mourn the violence and tragedy in your beautiful city. We pray for healing and yearn for peace. Amen. || 1 day ago
  • Love wins in the end but meanwhile, it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Seek God's Kingdom. || 2 days ago
  • In response to racism, folks often say, "It's a sin issue." Yes...but don't be naive. Sin creates sinful systems: youtube.com/watch?v=LEbUa0… || 3 days ago
  • Everyone loves the idea of reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. || 5 days ago