speaking at TEDx

Hey friends,

I’ll be posting up a schedule of my speaking events for the rest of the year in the next couple days but wanted to put a heads up for the Northwest community in case you were interested in attending the TEDx Seattle next Friday, April 16 (8.30am-5pm) at the Pacific Science Center (IMAX Theater). I have the honor of speaking about the impact of social media, action, and the story of One Day’s Wages. I’m thinking of titling my chat:  “We are the most over-rated generation in human history.”

For those that also enjoy the TED talks, share some of your FAVORITE videos?

For those that are not familiar with TED:

TED is a nonprofit that started in 1984 as a conference dedicated to bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design (TED). Devoted to “Ideas Worth Spreading,” TED created TEDx, a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. This event is called TEDxSeattle where x = independently organized TED event. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group.

And specifically about the TEDx Seattle:

“This regional TEDx event will bring together great minds in creativity, scholarship, and entrepreneurship to discuss the possibilities and prospects of social development enhanced through information technologies. Inspiring projects and innovative leaders from Seattle to Cape Town will be showcased in this day-long conference.”

There are only 300 seats available and supposedly a 1000+ requests for tickets have been made for the lottery selection. If you’re interested in going, register for a lottery ticket. It’ll be great to see a couple “known” faces in the crowd for support. Admission is $50 and $25/students. Gaging from the lineup, it should be a fascinating event:

CREATE 9:00-10:30

Scott Macklin – Convening Community through Stories
Elan Lee – The Evolution of Storytelling
Gaetano Borello – Personalizing Public Health
Martha Gonzalez – Fandango Without Borders

IMAGINE 11:00-12:00

Greg Bear – Too Much Information
Ignacio Mas – Everyone Needs a Safe Place to Save
Sapna Cheryan – Stereotypes as Gatekeepers

ACT 1:00-2:30

Fiona Lee and David Edelstein – Innovation in Information Access: Harnessing the Potential of the Mobile Phone
Ron Kabrill – Beyond the Bright Shiny New Thing
Amanda Koster – In Steve Biko’s Backyard
Eugene Cho – One Day’s Wages

DELIVER 3:00-4:00

Ben Huh – Convening Community & Company Direction Through Life Goals
Sarah Stuteville – America in 5
Debra Music and Joe Whinney – Doing Well While Doing Good; The Sweet Story of Theo Chocolate

Filed under: , , , ,

1. Johnny Laird says:

Glad to know you’re going to be speaking at a TEDx event, Eugene.

I’m sure you’ll give them something to think about

Good folks!

J

2. r2k says:

Wow, so many favorite talks:

Have to share Ken Robinson talking about education:

And Bill Strickland talking about bringing world class education to inner cities:

Oh, and Chimamanda Adichie’s The danger of a single story:

…and maybe soon (if the videos go up) Eugene Cho’s talk?

3. r2k says:

Oh wait, those links didn’t work…

Wow, so many favorite talks:

Have to share Ken Robinson talking about education

Oh, and Chimamanda Adichie’s The danger of a single story

…and maybe soon (if the videos go up) Eugene Cho’s talk?

4. Kyle Reed says:

By far one of my favorites:

He talks about how schools kill creativity

5. KJ says:

Malcom Gladwell explains spaghetti sauce – strangely captivating… Check it out: http://www.ted.com/talks/malcolm_gladwell_on_spaghetti_sauce.html

6. Jim Martin says:

Eugene, so glad to hear that you are doing a TED talk. I look forward to hearing you (via video). I enjoy your blog. I think this may be the first comment I’ve left.

7. The Chiz says:

Whatever you do, do NOT, under any circumstances, release the Pastor Cho Flow, from San Fran Cis-co. That will blow too many minds. Save that for round 2. Godspeed tomorrow!

8. Dong-Titus Kim says:

i second many of the lectures.

a.j. jacobs was great. the book was even better.

ken robinson – entertaining AND inspirational

i’ll rank mine in the following ways:

interesting:

entertaining:

inspirational:

looking forward to your talk!

It appears I brought a little Seattle to the NYC. Drizzle fest. 24 hour gathering with a small group of leaders from around the country. Learning. Listening. Asking hard questions. Head exploding. Heart trying to have hope. As I soaked in this breathtaking sunrise this morning above the clouds, I felt compelled to pray for so my places in America and around the world that are experiencing such pain, heartache, injustice, and violence. At times, it feels so overwhelming but in prayer, I was reminded of these words from John 16:33. As we keep striving, working, hoping, preaching, loving, truthtelling, reconciling, repenting, forgiving, dismantling, peacemaking, Kingdom building...may we fix our eyes on Christ: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33 Grateful for a very full weekend of ministry and preaching in Toronto, Canada (GTA). Such a privilege to partner with @worldvisioncan @wvcollective to advocate for the most vulnerable around the world. God is so gracious. A true honor to meet and encourage local pastors, lecture at Tyndale University & Seminary (photo), and preach at Richmond Hills Community Church, Compass Point Bible Church, and New City Church. Thank you, Lord, that you use broken and imperfect people like me to speak of Your love. Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it.

• It appears I brought a little Seattle to the NYC. Drizzle fest. 24 hour gathering with a small… instagram.com/p/BK_409Ohzr1/ || 5 hours ago
  • Life has its share of pain but don't get down and cynical. Stay engaged. Self-care. Keep learning and growing. Remain hopeful. Be steadfast. || 11 hours ago
  • The Gospel, not social justice, is our identity as believers but the Gospel compels us to love God/love people incl. work 4 the common good. || 2 days ago
  • Folks often ask me, "What is social justice?" "Social justice" are fancier words for "Give a Damn". || 2 days ago
  • RT @EugeneCho: Just met Edna, a sister-in-Christ. She's 90 years old. She met Jesus when she was 85. You're never too young or too old to f… || 2 days ago
  • Thank you @fullerfyi @KPowellFYI for this important resource about listening, engaging, and discipling young people: churchesgrowingyoung.com || 2 days ago