the concert you want to go to in 2010?

In light of a few intense days in Haiti (I’ll share another post tomorrow), I’m sort of emotionally exhausted so let’s do a community post today. Chime in and join the blog community. This is the post you can rip on each other’s answers and no one will be offended – I think! I’ve asked a similar question but I’m in the mood for music and I want to share one of my new favorite musical “groups.”

If you could go to one concert in 2010, who would it be and why?

I asked a similar question last year and my answer was U2 and guess what, I got a chance to go hear them twice (free tix)- once in Soldier Field (nosebleed section) and once in Vancouver, BC (basically the front row from the side). The show in Vancouver was amazing as the sound was unlike anything I’ve heard before especially this video where they go from singing Amazing Grace into Where the Streets Have No Name. We were so close that Bono did the unforgivable: he blew a kiss at my wife. No joke:

So since I’ve seen U2, they’re officially off my list. This might sound bizarre but over the past year, I’ve been enamored by the story and music of PS22 (as in the 5th grade choir of Public School 22 of Staten Island) and if I could see one concert, they’d probably be on my short list. I enjoy them because:

• I just value the public school systems and wished we would collectively invest more in them.
  • Love the commitment of “Mr. B” and the students in the choir.
  • The kids just appear to sing for the sheer love of music. No labels. No contracts. No entourages. No divas or divos.
  • So refreshing to see the diversity of the students.
  • They sound beautiful.

And recently, they were visited by the singers of the “Celtic Woman” and together they sang, You Lift Me Up. Love this song.

And for those that are new to PS22, you can visit their website/blog and here’s a glimpse of their story:

In a school where more than three quarters of the students are eligible for free lunch, the lyrics of the song have resonance, and the performance is haunting, emotive, and delivered with far more soul than one might expect from a bunch of fifth-graders. As Breinberg plays, he makes eye contact with the kids, coaxing performances from them and letting them enjoy themselves. Later, Davoya, one of the chorus members, explains how he does it. “At first, when I sang, I had no emotion,” she says. “I didn’t move. But Mr. B taught me to sing with feeling. With feeling and heart.”

Filed under: , , , , ,

1. abramjanson says:

copeland’s farewell tour.

2. lars says:

Dave Matthews Band i Copenhagen on Sunday (I will be there😀

3. alaina says:

i live in st. louis and have said for ages that i want to see chuck berry before he passes. since he’s in his 80s, this is the year.
    i don’t necessarily sit around and listen to CB all day long, but he’s such a legend and a part of STL DNA. Only seem right.
    (I’m going to stand in a line on Friday to try for tickets!)

4. thyquill says:

Judy Jacobs and that glorious backup choir… but then this is gospel at it’s best. I must be in the wrong crowd. 😉

5. tom fullmer says:

I would like to see R.E.M. since my wife really wants to see them. Other than that Tom Waits.

6. Criss says:

TOM WAITS- definitely. Nick Cave wouldn’t be bad either.

7. MikeS says:

If not U2, then Eric Clapton.

8. Bill B says:

I would like to see Switchfoot.

9. Matt says:

I’m really excited about the Derek Webb/Jennifer Knapp tour. I get to see them here in Tulsa on 4/15.

10. Pam Christensen says:

Straight No Chaser-would love to see them in person

11. Leah says:

U2 again! Although they are probably not touring again this year, but still. Seriously, I would love to see Coldplay if they tour this year. Never seen them live but I love their music and I hear they put on an awesome live show.

12. Bill B says:

Kevin Max and Derek Webb are performing at The Viper Room on March 17. Wish I could be there!!!

13. My kids bought me a ticket to see Yo-Yo Ma next weekend, so my dream concert is already coming true.

Next I’m aiming to see Bela Fleck with Edgar Meyer & Zakir Hussain in the Twin Cities the day after the Covenant annual meeting in June.