where do you want to travel to?

As we begin a new week, let’s host a simple community building question. Hopefully, we’ll be able to entice our quiet blog readers and lurkers to join in. In honor the Winter Olympics going on right now in Vancouver/Whistler, here are the questions:

If you could travel to any TWO places in the world, where would you go and why?

What are your favorite destinations you’ve already traveled to already?

One of my favorite places in the world happen to be a 2 1/2 hour drive up north to Vancouver, British Columbia. I’m really looking forward to taking couple days off next week to take a family trip up to Whistler. We don’t have tickets to the Olympics but at least we can say we were in the same location. And since we’ll swing by Vancouver on our way, we’ll do our all you can eat sushi bonanza.

• In response to two places I hope to travel in the world: I’ll share them in couple weeks as I’ll be going to both in the month of March.
  • Favorite destinations thus far for me: South Africa (Capetown) & Germany

Your turn.

Filed under: , ,

1. bethray says:

I am, of course, one of the quiet readers that feels so inclined to answer this question. I’d say questions like these entice my ambitions to travel the world.

I’d like to go to Australia and Germany. Do I really have to explain why I want to go to Australia? Hello! Kangaroos, zorbing, Great Barrier Reef, etc. Germany’s on the list because I have a cousin that lives there. And it’s just one of those places where I feel like history would come alive right before my eyes. Man, I hope so.

I went to Jinja, Uganda last summer. I sat right at the mouth of the Nile River. BEAUTIFUL! Clearwater, Florida is another favorite.

2. Dave Baldwin says:

I always tell people that if I could split my time between two cities in they would be Kiev, Ukraine and Beirut, Lebanon. Both are very beautiful cities and lots to do.
    We just got back yesterday from a 7 day cruise to the Bahamas. I wouldn’t mind spending another 7 days on the ship we traveled on. We had a wonderful time.
    Thank you Eugene for a great community-building question.
    Blessings,
    Dave

3. I’ve loved Chicago and Jamaica. I’d love to go back to either one. But I’ve never been to Europe, and I’d love to tour some of the old Bible cities, as well as ride a scooter around Rome.

4. Just two…..Germany (where my grandmother is from) and South Korea (where my husband is from). It is sad to me that I’ve done so little traveling. We’re working toward getting our debt issues cleared up so that we have the means to travel.

5. Kyle Reed says:

After watching the Olympics I definitely want to go to Vancouver. The city looks amazing.

Also, would like to go to Sydney and stay there for a little while as well.

Been to Hawaii for two weeks (awesome).
    Lived in Las Vegas for 8 months, loved it.
    Spent some time in Utah, up in the mountains in a cabin, that was one of my favorite times.

6. Daphne says:

Hi.

I would love to go to Indonesia and New Guinea because this is where my family is from and in most of the stories I grew up with, the landscape of these two countries are main characters. Luckily we are planning a trip to Bali in the 2011. I’m really looking forward to it.

My favorite destination I’ve already traveled to is Amsterdam. The city is so welcoming and comfortable. I love the tall skinny buildings, the Central Station, and the fact that there are Indonesian restaurants EVERYWHERE!! However, I also love South Holland where Belgium, Germany and Holland all touch. The villages are idyllic and beautiful. I feel like I’m in All Creatures Great and Small…which is a great thing.

7. Heath says:

I would have to say the Holy Land and Rome. Just to see the history and soak it all in. Best places I’ve visited so far would have to be Toronto and Portland. The retreat center we were at in Portland was the most peaceful place I’ve ever been to while I just love the hustle and bustle of Toronto.

8. Bryna says:

It’s so funny that you should mention this, as I’ve been craving some far off destination for weeks now. Maybe it’s the mid-winter gray that’s making me yearn for warmer climes. I’d love a month in Italy. But on a completely different note, I’ve always wanted to go to Chicago! (I think I’ll wait for warmer weather though.)

Best places I’ve been: safari in Kenya, and Italy (which is why I want to go back again so badly).

9. luke says:

the two places now at the top of my list are new zealand and st. petersburg. fairly different granted, but there they are. the former for natural beauty and the latter for several reasons but mostly literature (dostoyevsky).

top places i’ve been would have to be alaska (kenai peninsula & small villages out in the bush), and greece (specifically santorini but so many of the cities there were really great, and crete too).

10. ryan says:

my mom was born in indonesia and then lived in holland for part of her childhood, and I have family in both countries, so those are the two places I really would love to visit. my family in amsterdam owns a restaurant, so I know I would eat well.

besides those two places I would love to go back to Orvieto, Italy and Stuttgart, Germany. I have made some great friends there and have worshiped in some amazing churches there.

11. vianho says:

Want to go to:
    Maldives – it’s about to sink into the ocean, and I’d love to be there before it disappears.
    Cambodia – a country in my heart, been there once, will dream of it for ever.

Already traveled to:
    Vancouver – funny to see how many say this, but it’s a great city!
    Scotland – indescribable…
    North Cape – Amazing place! Beautiful view, and an everlasting sun!

12. Lately I’ve been thinking that perhaps my top priority for travel ought to be seeing more of the United States. Growing up, my family had no sense of connection with our European ethnic heritage and so thought of ourselves as culture-less. I would like to be more intentional about understanding the culture that I actually do embody as an American.

I would also like to visit England. My mother used to claim that her Grandfather Lamb was from Norway — a mistake that makes my Norwegian-American friends hoot with laughter — and I would like to explore the Anglo roots that his name actually implies.

My favorite places so far are the Florida panhandle (some of the best-kept-secret beaches in the world) and the Colorado Rockies. Beaches and mountains … and I live in Iowa. Go figure.

13. georgesong says:

2 places Vivien + I hope to travel in the world: Maldives + Egypt.
    Favorite destinations thus far for us: New Zealand (http://bit.ly/909dkZ) + Beijing (http://bit.ly/4SivV2)…

14. chrisbscott25 says:

I’d love to go to Machu Pichu!

15. Sheila says:

It saddens me that being Canadian I won’t be able to make the short drive to see the Olympics, and it is true Van is a great city.

One of my favourite places to travel to? Botswana in Southern Africa. It is the kind of place that gets under your skin (but in a good way, I swear.) Since moving here to volunteer, I have realized it is best to travel to places you would be okay to live, if God calls you to go back. You just never know…
    Next time – Florence, Italy might be nice.

16. dustinuga says:

favorite places that i’ve been to:
    -Lake Como, Italy
    -Lucerne, Switzerland
    -Amsterdam (on missions, but I’d go back simply for the frites w/ mayo)

want to go:
    -greece
    -yosemite nat’l park

17. Kacie says:

Coolest spots I’ve visited:
    -Lahore, Pakistan (AMAZING but of course not your usual traveling spot)
    – remote villages across Indonesia and New Guinea. That’s home to me, but it’s still incredible.

Places I’m dying to see:
    New Zealand
    The Alps

18. Jocelyn says:

Favorite Places I’ve Been To:

Rome: especially the Borghese Gallery and the Vatican; absolutely gorgeous art!
    Nanjing, China: it was really hot and rainy because it was the middle of summer, but some of my favorite memories were just tooling around the Fuzi Miao Market (a market near this beautiful Confucian temple) and visiting the old Ming palace.

Places I want to go to:

Everywhere else in China (though I already have plans to study in Kunming or Beijing for my junior year, so I’m not sure if that counts)
    New Zealand (especially if I can find the places where they filmed Lord of the Rings!)
    South Korea
    Israel
    India (especially Agra and Kerala)

19. Your photo is of Muizenberg beach in Cape Town – pretty much our ‘local’ 🙂

I would love to visit the Okavango Delta in Botswana, and go diving in the Mozambique Channel.

I’m pretty interested in your blog, will be following.

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 22 hours ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 2 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 2 days ago
  • "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." - a local Iraqi priest || 3 days ago
  • I've been traveling through Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan. Meeting local pastors/leaders, NGOs, and refugees. Join us on IG… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 3 days ago
  • Seeking justice is part of our discipleship. In other words, seek justice not just to change the world...but to be changed more like Christ. || 6 days ago