where do you want to travel to?

As we begin a new week, let’s host a simple community building question. Hopefully, we’ll be able to entice our quiet blog readers and lurkers to join in. In honor the Winter Olympics going on right now in Vancouver/Whistler, here are the questions:

If you could travel to any TWO places in the world, where would you go and why?

What are your favorite destinations you’ve already traveled to already?

One of my favorite places in the world happen to be a 2 1/2 hour drive up north to Vancouver, British Columbia. I’m really looking forward to taking couple days off next week to take a family trip up to Whistler. We don’t have tickets to the Olympics but at least we can say we were in the same location. And since we’ll swing by Vancouver on our way, we’ll do our all you can eat sushi bonanza.

• In response to two places I hope to travel in the world: I’ll share them in couple weeks as I’ll be going to both in the month of March.
  • Favorite destinations thus far for me: South Africa (Capetown) & Germany

Your turn.

Filed under: , ,

1. bethray says:

I am, of course, one of the quiet readers that feels so inclined to answer this question. I’d say questions like these entice my ambitions to travel the world.

I’d like to go to Australia and Germany. Do I really have to explain why I want to go to Australia? Hello! Kangaroos, zorbing, Great Barrier Reef, etc. Germany’s on the list because I have a cousin that lives there. And it’s just one of those places where I feel like history would come alive right before my eyes. Man, I hope so.

I went to Jinja, Uganda last summer. I sat right at the mouth of the Nile River. BEAUTIFUL! Clearwater, Florida is another favorite.

2. Dave Baldwin says:

I always tell people that if I could split my time between two cities in they would be Kiev, Ukraine and Beirut, Lebanon. Both are very beautiful cities and lots to do.
    We just got back yesterday from a 7 day cruise to the Bahamas. I wouldn’t mind spending another 7 days on the ship we traveled on. We had a wonderful time.
    Thank you Eugene for a great community-building question.
    Blessings,
    Dave

3. I’ve loved Chicago and Jamaica. I’d love to go back to either one. But I’ve never been to Europe, and I’d love to tour some of the old Bible cities, as well as ride a scooter around Rome.

4. Just two…..Germany (where my grandmother is from) and South Korea (where my husband is from). It is sad to me that I’ve done so little traveling. We’re working toward getting our debt issues cleared up so that we have the means to travel.

5. Kyle Reed says:

After watching the Olympics I definitely want to go to Vancouver. The city looks amazing.

Also, would like to go to Sydney and stay there for a little while as well.

Been to Hawaii for two weeks (awesome).
    Lived in Las Vegas for 8 months, loved it.
    Spent some time in Utah, up in the mountains in a cabin, that was one of my favorite times.

6. Daphne says:

Hi.

I would love to go to Indonesia and New Guinea because this is where my family is from and in most of the stories I grew up with, the landscape of these two countries are main characters. Luckily we are planning a trip to Bali in the 2011. I’m really looking forward to it.

My favorite destination I’ve already traveled to is Amsterdam. The city is so welcoming and comfortable. I love the tall skinny buildings, the Central Station, and the fact that there are Indonesian restaurants EVERYWHERE!! However, I also love South Holland where Belgium, Germany and Holland all touch. The villages are idyllic and beautiful. I feel like I’m in All Creatures Great and Small…which is a great thing.

7. Heath says:

I would have to say the Holy Land and Rome. Just to see the history and soak it all in. Best places I’ve visited so far would have to be Toronto and Portland. The retreat center we were at in Portland was the most peaceful place I’ve ever been to while I just love the hustle and bustle of Toronto.

8. Bryna says:

It’s so funny that you should mention this, as I’ve been craving some far off destination for weeks now. Maybe it’s the mid-winter gray that’s making me yearn for warmer climes. I’d love a month in Italy. But on a completely different note, I’ve always wanted to go to Chicago! (I think I’ll wait for warmer weather though.)

Best places I’ve been: safari in Kenya, and Italy (which is why I want to go back again so badly).

9. luke says:

the two places now at the top of my list are new zealand and st. petersburg. fairly different granted, but there they are. the former for natural beauty and the latter for several reasons but mostly literature (dostoyevsky).

top places i’ve been would have to be alaska (kenai peninsula & small villages out in the bush), and greece (specifically santorini but so many of the cities there were really great, and crete too).

10. ryan says:

my mom was born in indonesia and then lived in holland for part of her childhood, and I have family in both countries, so those are the two places I really would love to visit. my family in amsterdam owns a restaurant, so I know I would eat well.

besides those two places I would love to go back to Orvieto, Italy and Stuttgart, Germany. I have made some great friends there and have worshiped in some amazing churches there.

11. vianho says:

Want to go to:
    Maldives – it’s about to sink into the ocean, and I’d love to be there before it disappears.
    Cambodia – a country in my heart, been there once, will dream of it for ever.

Already traveled to:
    Vancouver – funny to see how many say this, but it’s a great city!
    Scotland – indescribable…
    North Cape – Amazing place! Beautiful view, and an everlasting sun!

12. Lately I’ve been thinking that perhaps my top priority for travel ought to be seeing more of the United States. Growing up, my family had no sense of connection with our European ethnic heritage and so thought of ourselves as culture-less. I would like to be more intentional about understanding the culture that I actually do embody as an American.

I would also like to visit England. My mother used to claim that her Grandfather Lamb was from Norway — a mistake that makes my Norwegian-American friends hoot with laughter — and I would like to explore the Anglo roots that his name actually implies.

My favorite places so far are the Florida panhandle (some of the best-kept-secret beaches in the world) and the Colorado Rockies. Beaches and mountains … and I live in Iowa. Go figure.

13. georgesong says:

2 places Vivien + I hope to travel in the world: Maldives + Egypt.
    Favorite destinations thus far for us: New Zealand (http://bit.ly/909dkZ) + Beijing (http://bit.ly/4SivV2)…

14. chrisbscott25 says:

I’d love to go to Machu Pichu!

15. Sheila says:

It saddens me that being Canadian I won’t be able to make the short drive to see the Olympics, and it is true Van is a great city.

One of my favourite places to travel to? Botswana in Southern Africa. It is the kind of place that gets under your skin (but in a good way, I swear.) Since moving here to volunteer, I have realized it is best to travel to places you would be okay to live, if God calls you to go back. You just never know…
    Next time – Florence, Italy might be nice.

16. dustinuga says:

favorite places that i’ve been to:
    -Lake Como, Italy
    -Lucerne, Switzerland
    -Amsterdam (on missions, but I’d go back simply for the frites w/ mayo)

want to go:
    -greece
    -yosemite nat’l park

17. Kacie says:

Coolest spots I’ve visited:
    -Lahore, Pakistan (AMAZING but of course not your usual traveling spot)
    – remote villages across Indonesia and New Guinea. That’s home to me, but it’s still incredible.

Places I’m dying to see:
    New Zealand
    The Alps

18. Jocelyn says:

Favorite Places I’ve Been To:

Rome: especially the Borghese Gallery and the Vatican; absolutely gorgeous art!
    Nanjing, China: it was really hot and rainy because it was the middle of summer, but some of my favorite memories were just tooling around the Fuzi Miao Market (a market near this beautiful Confucian temple) and visiting the old Ming palace.

Places I want to go to:

Everywhere else in China (though I already have plans to study in Kunming or Beijing for my junior year, so I’m not sure if that counts)
    New Zealand (especially if I can find the places where they filmed Lord of the Rings!)
    South Korea
    Israel
    India (especially Agra and Kerala)

19. Your photo is of Muizenberg beach in Cape Town – pretty much our ‘local’ 🙂

I would love to visit the Okavango Delta in Botswana, and go diving in the Mozambique Channel.

I’m pretty interested in your blog, will be following.

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.