where do you want to travel to?

As we begin a new week, let’s host a simple community building question. Hopefully, we’ll be able to entice our quiet blog readers and lurkers to join in. In honor the Winter Olympics going on right now in Vancouver/Whistler, here are the questions:

If you could travel to any TWO places in the world, where would you go and why?

What are your favorite destinations you’ve already traveled to already?

One of my favorite places in the world happen to be a 2 1/2 hour drive up north to Vancouver, British Columbia. I’m really looking forward to taking couple days off next week to take a family trip up to Whistler. We don’t have tickets to the Olympics but at least we can say we were in the same location. And since we’ll swing by Vancouver on our way, we’ll do our all you can eat sushi bonanza.

• In response to two places I hope to travel in the world: I’ll share them in couple weeks as I’ll be going to both in the month of March.
  • Favorite destinations thus far for me: South Africa (Capetown) & Germany

Your turn.

Filed under: , ,

1. bethray says:

I am, of course, one of the quiet readers that feels so inclined to answer this question. I’d say questions like these entice my ambitions to travel the world.

I’d like to go to Australia and Germany. Do I really have to explain why I want to go to Australia? Hello! Kangaroos, zorbing, Great Barrier Reef, etc. Germany’s on the list because I have a cousin that lives there. And it’s just one of those places where I feel like history would come alive right before my eyes. Man, I hope so.

I went to Jinja, Uganda last summer. I sat right at the mouth of the Nile River. BEAUTIFUL! Clearwater, Florida is another favorite.

2. Dave Baldwin says:

I always tell people that if I could split my time between two cities in they would be Kiev, Ukraine and Beirut, Lebanon. Both are very beautiful cities and lots to do.
    We just got back yesterday from a 7 day cruise to the Bahamas. I wouldn’t mind spending another 7 days on the ship we traveled on. We had a wonderful time.
    Thank you Eugene for a great community-building question.
    Blessings,
    Dave

3. I’ve loved Chicago and Jamaica. I’d love to go back to either one. But I’ve never been to Europe, and I’d love to tour some of the old Bible cities, as well as ride a scooter around Rome.

4. Just two…..Germany (where my grandmother is from) and South Korea (where my husband is from). It is sad to me that I’ve done so little traveling. We’re working toward getting our debt issues cleared up so that we have the means to travel.

5. Kyle Reed says:

After watching the Olympics I definitely want to go to Vancouver. The city looks amazing.

Also, would like to go to Sydney and stay there for a little while as well.

Been to Hawaii for two weeks (awesome).
    Lived in Las Vegas for 8 months, loved it.
    Spent some time in Utah, up in the mountains in a cabin, that was one of my favorite times.

6. Daphne says:

Hi.

I would love to go to Indonesia and New Guinea because this is where my family is from and in most of the stories I grew up with, the landscape of these two countries are main characters. Luckily we are planning a trip to Bali in the 2011. I’m really looking forward to it.

My favorite destination I’ve already traveled to is Amsterdam. The city is so welcoming and comfortable. I love the tall skinny buildings, the Central Station, and the fact that there are Indonesian restaurants EVERYWHERE!! However, I also love South Holland where Belgium, Germany and Holland all touch. The villages are idyllic and beautiful. I feel like I’m in All Creatures Great and Small…which is a great thing.

7. Heath says:

I would have to say the Holy Land and Rome. Just to see the history and soak it all in. Best places I’ve visited so far would have to be Toronto and Portland. The retreat center we were at in Portland was the most peaceful place I’ve ever been to while I just love the hustle and bustle of Toronto.

8. Bryna says:

It’s so funny that you should mention this, as I’ve been craving some far off destination for weeks now. Maybe it’s the mid-winter gray that’s making me yearn for warmer climes. I’d love a month in Italy. But on a completely different note, I’ve always wanted to go to Chicago! (I think I’ll wait for warmer weather though.)

Best places I’ve been: safari in Kenya, and Italy (which is why I want to go back again so badly).

9. luke says:

the two places now at the top of my list are new zealand and st. petersburg. fairly different granted, but there they are. the former for natural beauty and the latter for several reasons but mostly literature (dostoyevsky).

top places i’ve been would have to be alaska (kenai peninsula & small villages out in the bush), and greece (specifically santorini but so many of the cities there were really great, and crete too).

10. ryan says:

my mom was born in indonesia and then lived in holland for part of her childhood, and I have family in both countries, so those are the two places I really would love to visit. my family in amsterdam owns a restaurant, so I know I would eat well.

besides those two places I would love to go back to Orvieto, Italy and Stuttgart, Germany. I have made some great friends there and have worshiped in some amazing churches there.

11. vianho says:

Want to go to:
    Maldives – it’s about to sink into the ocean, and I’d love to be there before it disappears.
    Cambodia – a country in my heart, been there once, will dream of it for ever.

Already traveled to:
    Vancouver – funny to see how many say this, but it’s a great city!
    Scotland – indescribable…
    North Cape – Amazing place! Beautiful view, and an everlasting sun!

12. Lately I’ve been thinking that perhaps my top priority for travel ought to be seeing more of the United States. Growing up, my family had no sense of connection with our European ethnic heritage and so thought of ourselves as culture-less. I would like to be more intentional about understanding the culture that I actually do embody as an American.

I would also like to visit England. My mother used to claim that her Grandfather Lamb was from Norway — a mistake that makes my Norwegian-American friends hoot with laughter — and I would like to explore the Anglo roots that his name actually implies.

My favorite places so far are the Florida panhandle (some of the best-kept-secret beaches in the world) and the Colorado Rockies. Beaches and mountains … and I live in Iowa. Go figure.

13. georgesong says:

2 places Vivien + I hope to travel in the world: Maldives + Egypt.
    Favorite destinations thus far for us: New Zealand (http://bit.ly/909dkZ) + Beijing (http://bit.ly/4SivV2)…

14. chrisbscott25 says:

I’d love to go to Machu Pichu!

15. Sheila says:

It saddens me that being Canadian I won’t be able to make the short drive to see the Olympics, and it is true Van is a great city.

One of my favourite places to travel to? Botswana in Southern Africa. It is the kind of place that gets under your skin (but in a good way, I swear.) Since moving here to volunteer, I have realized it is best to travel to places you would be okay to live, if God calls you to go back. You just never know…
    Next time – Florence, Italy might be nice.

16. dustinuga says:

favorite places that i’ve been to:
    -Lake Como, Italy
    -Lucerne, Switzerland
    -Amsterdam (on missions, but I’d go back simply for the frites w/ mayo)

want to go:
    -greece
    -yosemite nat’l park

17. Kacie says:

Coolest spots I’ve visited:
    -Lahore, Pakistan (AMAZING but of course not your usual traveling spot)
    – remote villages across Indonesia and New Guinea. That’s home to me, but it’s still incredible.

Places I’m dying to see:
    New Zealand
    The Alps

18. Jocelyn says:

Favorite Places I’ve Been To:

Rome: especially the Borghese Gallery and the Vatican; absolutely gorgeous art!
    Nanjing, China: it was really hot and rainy because it was the middle of summer, but some of my favorite memories were just tooling around the Fuzi Miao Market (a market near this beautiful Confucian temple) and visiting the old Ming palace.

Places I want to go to:

Everywhere else in China (though I already have plans to study in Kunming or Beijing for my junior year, so I’m not sure if that counts)
    New Zealand (especially if I can find the places where they filmed Lord of the Rings!)
    South Korea
    Israel
    India (especially Agra and Kerala)

19. Your photo is of Muizenberg beach in Cape Town – pretty much our ‘local’ 🙂

I would love to visit the Okavango Delta in Botswana, and go diving in the Mozambique Channel.

I’m pretty interested in your blog, will be following.

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working