beauty and the beast – 13 years

anniversary2

On February 1, 1997, Minhee and I exchanged vows and committed ourselves to Christ, one another, our families and community –  the journey of loving, serving, and growing as husband and wife, father and mother, and mutual followers of Christ.  Today, we celebrate our 13th anniversary.  I know that it is customary [and wise] to speak well of your spouse on your anniversary but Minhee truly is an expression and embodiment of God’s grace and beauty to my life. Our marriage – while clearly not perfect – remains focused on the three pillars I often share with others:  Passion.  Vision.  Mission.

We met in Korea and dated for a week before I returned to the States. We engaged in many phone calls and probably exchanged over a thousand letters since we both weren’t using this technology called ‘electronic mail.’ Just in case some of you don’t know what letters are…it’s when you put a pen to paper and write.

And while people boast of their marriage proposal stories, I’m pretty sure mine is the most romantic and unique:

The summer before our wedding [while I was still a student in seminary in New Jersey], I put on my best suit, got on my knees, picked up the phone to call Minhee in Korea, and in my best Korean drama voice…asked her to marry me. 🙂

Here’s our wedding photo that still continues to amaze people. Minhee looks her usual photogenic self and I’ve been told I look “very different” – so different that people ask if it’s her “first husband.”

wedding-003-copy.jpg

And here are couple reasons why some refer to us as “The Beauty and the Beast…”

Filed under: , ,

1. Justin Fung says:

Happy anniversary! Congrats, Eugene!

2. daphne says:

Congratulations and happy anniversary to both of you. Here’s to many more years of wedded bliss.

3. Charles Lee says:

Congrats!

Did you shower back then? 🙂

Hope you have a wonderful time celebrating.

4. Anita Kim says:

(Awww… Swoon…)

Happy Anniversary to an amazingly beautiful couple!!!

5. blueberry cheesecake says:

Loving greetings from Germany!
    God bless you hundredfold!
    Thank you for your example of faith, love and passion.

Your inner beauty (Eugene) inspires me, and Minhee, You are just gorgeous!

6. Happy Anniversary.
    And while your wedding photo looks very different from the second photo you posted, for my aesthetics the beard and curly long hair are just as beautiful and handsome, you seem no less photogenic in that photo.
    I am a goth and artist so its okay for me to say that, and it not be creepy! 😉 Or maybe its more creepy.

7. Pat says:

Happy anniversary, and congratulations!!

8. Bryan says:

Congrats on the anniversary.

On the bottom picture, Brooke thinks you look like Slash but I was thinking that maybe you did a stint in the black panthers in your east coast days/daze.

9. Kenny says:

Happy Anniversary Eugene! You and Minhee look exactly the same as your wedding day……okay, well at least she does. =)

10. Nourisha says:

hilarious! happy anniversary!

11. Happy anniversary Eugene. Hope it’s a memorable one for you and Minhee!

12. georgesong says:

congrats indeed, PE! viv + i have much to learn from you guys. here’s to another 13 years… 🙂

13. Oliver Jen says:

congrats and great pictures! 🙂

14. Josh Roberts says:

Congrats Eugene & Minhee! Love the photo.

15. Eugene Cho says:

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement.

16. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eugene Cho, Marriage Tweets. Marriage Tweets said: @EugeneCho http://bit.ly/9LDjPw // Happy Anniversary my friend! 😉 […]

These are crazy, turbulent times. Fight the good fight. Run the race set before us.

But we also need you for the long haul. Don't burn out. Discipleship and justice work is a marathon. Learn to take care of yourself. Don't play the victim. It's far too tempting to blame others. Be rooted in prayer, Scripture, and community. It's okay to pause, critical to rest and retreat, and godly to practice Sabbath.

#NoteToSelf Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle.