beauty and the beast – 13 years

anniversary2

On February 1, 1997, Minhee and I exchanged vows and committed ourselves to Christ, one another, our families and community –  the journey of loving, serving, and growing as husband and wife, father and mother, and mutual followers of Christ.  Today, we celebrate our 13th anniversary.  I know that it is customary [and wise] to speak well of your spouse on your anniversary but Minhee truly is an expression and embodiment of God’s grace and beauty to my life. Our marriage – while clearly not perfect – remains focused on the three pillars I often share with others:  Passion.  Vision.  Mission.

We met in Korea and dated for a week before I returned to the States. We engaged in many phone calls and probably exchanged over a thousand letters since we both weren’t using this technology called ‘electronic mail.’ Just in case some of you don’t know what letters are…it’s when you put a pen to paper and write.

And while people boast of their marriage proposal stories, I’m pretty sure mine is the most romantic and unique:

The summer before our wedding [while I was still a student in seminary in New Jersey], I put on my best suit, got on my knees, picked up the phone to call Minhee in Korea, and in my best Korean drama voice…asked her to marry me.🙂

Here’s our wedding photo that still continues to amaze people. Minhee looks her usual photogenic self and I’ve been told I look “very different” – so different that people ask if it’s her “first husband.”

wedding-003-copy.jpg

And here are couple reasons why some refer to us as “The Beauty and the Beast…”

Filed under: , ,

1. Justin Fung says:

Happy anniversary! Congrats, Eugene!

2. daphne says:

Congratulations and happy anniversary to both of you. Here’s to many more years of wedded bliss.

3. Charles Lee says:

Congrats!

Did you shower back then?🙂

Hope you have a wonderful time celebrating.

4. Anita Kim says:

(Awww… Swoon…)

Happy Anniversary to an amazingly beautiful couple!!!

5. blueberry cheesecake says:

Loving greetings from Germany!
    God bless you hundredfold!
    Thank you for your example of faith, love and passion.

Your inner beauty (Eugene) inspires me, and Minhee, You are just gorgeous!

6. Happy Anniversary.
    And while your wedding photo looks very different from the second photo you posted, for my aesthetics the beard and curly long hair are just as beautiful and handsome, you seem no less photogenic in that photo.
    I am a goth and artist so its okay for me to say that, and it not be creepy!😉 Or maybe its more creepy.

7. Pat says:

Happy anniversary, and congratulations!!

8. Bryan says:

Congrats on the anniversary.

On the bottom picture, Brooke thinks you look like Slash but I was thinking that maybe you did a stint in the black panthers in your east coast days/daze.

9. Kenny says:

Happy Anniversary Eugene! You and Minhee look exactly the same as your wedding day……okay, well at least she does. =)

10. Nourisha says:

hilarious! happy anniversary!

11. Happy anniversary Eugene. Hope it’s a memorable one for you and Minhee!

12. georgesong says:

congrats indeed, PE! viv + i have much to learn from you guys. here’s to another 13 years…🙂

13. Oliver Jen says:

congrats and great pictures!🙂

14. Josh Roberts says:

Congrats Eugene & Minhee! Love the photo.

15. Eugene Cho says:

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement.

16. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eugene Cho, Marriage Tweets. Marriage Tweets said: @EugeneCho http://bit.ly/9LDjPw // Happy Anniversary my friend!😉 […]

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

• The Gospel, not social justice, is our identity as believers but the Gospel compels us to love God/love people incl. work 4 the common good. || 1 day ago
  • Folks often ask me, "What is social justice?" "Social justice" are fancier words for "Give a Damn". || 1 day ago
  • RT @EugeneCho: Just met Edna, a sister-in-Christ. She's 90 years old. She met Jesus when she was 85. You're never too young or too old to f… || 1 day ago
  • Thank you @fullerfyi @KPowellFYI for this important resource about listening, engaging, and discipling young people: churchesgrowingyoung.com || 1 day ago
  • Just met Edna, a sister-in-Christ. She's 90 years old. She met Jesus when she was 85. You're never too young or too old to follow Christ. || 2 days ago
  • RT @jennysimmons: Hard to convey the profound impact @EugeneCho has had on me. His endorsement of #MadeWellBook means a great deal. https:/… || 2 days ago