beauty and the beast – 13 years

anniversary2

On February 1, 1997, Minhee and I exchanged vows and committed ourselves to Christ, one another, our families and community –  the journey of loving, serving, and growing as husband and wife, father and mother, and mutual followers of Christ.  Today, we celebrate our 13th anniversary.  I know that it is customary [and wise] to speak well of your spouse on your anniversary but Minhee truly is an expression and embodiment of God’s grace and beauty to my life. Our marriage – while clearly not perfect – remains focused on the three pillars I often share with others:  Passion.  Vision.  Mission.

We met in Korea and dated for a week before I returned to the States. We engaged in many phone calls and probably exchanged over a thousand letters since we both weren’t using this technology called ‘electronic mail.’ Just in case some of you don’t know what letters are…it’s when you put a pen to paper and write.

And while people boast of their marriage proposal stories, I’m pretty sure mine is the most romantic and unique:

The summer before our wedding [while I was still a student in seminary in New Jersey], I put on my best suit, got on my knees, picked up the phone to call Minhee in Korea, and in my best Korean drama voice…asked her to marry me. 🙂

Here’s our wedding photo that still continues to amaze people. Minhee looks her usual photogenic self and I’ve been told I look “very different” – so different that people ask if it’s her “first husband.”

wedding-003-copy.jpg

And here are couple reasons why some refer to us as “The Beauty and the Beast…”

Filed under: , ,

1. Justin Fung says:

Happy anniversary! Congrats, Eugene!

2. daphne says:

Congratulations and happy anniversary to both of you. Here’s to many more years of wedded bliss.

3. Charles Lee says:

Congrats!

Did you shower back then? 🙂

Hope you have a wonderful time celebrating.

4. Anita Kim says:

(Awww… Swoon…)

Happy Anniversary to an amazingly beautiful couple!!!

5. blueberry cheesecake says:

Loving greetings from Germany!
    God bless you hundredfold!
    Thank you for your example of faith, love and passion.

Your inner beauty (Eugene) inspires me, and Minhee, You are just gorgeous!

6. Happy Anniversary.
    And while your wedding photo looks very different from the second photo you posted, for my aesthetics the beard and curly long hair are just as beautiful and handsome, you seem no less photogenic in that photo.
    I am a goth and artist so its okay for me to say that, and it not be creepy! 😉 Or maybe its more creepy.

7. Pat says:

Happy anniversary, and congratulations!!

8. Bryan says:

Congrats on the anniversary.

On the bottom picture, Brooke thinks you look like Slash but I was thinking that maybe you did a stint in the black panthers in your east coast days/daze.

9. Kenny says:

Happy Anniversary Eugene! You and Minhee look exactly the same as your wedding day……okay, well at least she does. =)

10. Nourisha says:

hilarious! happy anniversary!

11. Happy anniversary Eugene. Hope it’s a memorable one for you and Minhee!

12. georgesong says:

congrats indeed, PE! viv + i have much to learn from you guys. here’s to another 13 years… 🙂

13. Oliver Jen says:

congrats and great pictures! 🙂

14. Josh Roberts says:

Congrats Eugene & Minhee! Love the photo.

15. Eugene Cho says:

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement.

16. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eugene Cho, Marriage Tweets. Marriage Tweets said: @EugeneCho http://bit.ly/9LDjPw // Happy Anniversary my friend! 😉 […]

This was 10 years ago. I dominated my son in wrestling and I know what you're thinking, "How could you employ a rear chokehold armbar kimura on your own son?" Hey, a competition is a competition.

I love you, son. The world is broken. This ia a sad truth. But the story of redemption is not yet finished. God is not yet done. This is the ultimate Truth. Have hope. Press on. Ten years ago, I witnessed one of those "God things" when a church called Interbay Covenant Church gave itself, its legacy, and a building property worth $7 million dollars to @seattlequest. We were then only 5 years old.

Quest is an urban, multiethnic churchplant that started in 2001. We rented the facilities at Interbay Covenant Church - a predominantly older, mostly Anglo congregation with a rich 65 years history. After some time, Pastor Ray Bartel (senior pastor, Interbay) approached me with a "crazy idea" of Interbay "dying to itself and giving itself to Quest" for the sake of the greater Kingdom and the coming generations.

This eventually led to three years of many conversations and prayers. On June 3, 2007, the two churches officially came together to become one church. In giving itself, Interbay also shared their leadership, legacy, and stories. They also gave all of their assets without any strings and without any debt.

Their radical generosity and courage is what enabled Quest to grow - not just numerically - but deeper in discipleship, and deeper in missions - to the city of Seattle and beyond. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of this merger, we created a short film (check my FB page to see the video) to tell the story - so that our church and the next generations may never forget and that the larger Church may be stirred and encouraged by a greater Kingdom vision.

Thank you, Interbay! The NBA season is over but the hustle and grind continues for my daughter. We argue sometimes but I love training my daughter. She's working hard for her senior year next year. Starting point guard. She's improved a lot. She's one of the quickest players on the floor and has a great midrange jumper. But trying to get her to keep working on her handles, using her off hand and shoulder to protect the ball,  staying and dribbling the ball lower to the ground, and playing aggressive and downhill while remaining in control. That's what we're working on this week. #hoopdreams #ChovarBall Reunited with my favorite elephant, Buh'loom. We bonded earlier this year and I'd like to think that she recognized my voice. Also, appreciate learning about ethical and sustainable eco-tourism. Anywhere. Everywhere. Night markets are the best.