beauty and the beast – 13 years

anniversary2

On February 1, 1997, Minhee and I exchanged vows and committed ourselves to Christ, one another, our families and community –  the journey of loving, serving, and growing as husband and wife, father and mother, and mutual followers of Christ.  Today, we celebrate our 13th anniversary.  I know that it is customary [and wise] to speak well of your spouse on your anniversary but Minhee truly is an expression and embodiment of God’s grace and beauty to my life. Our marriage – while clearly not perfect – remains focused on the three pillars I often share with others:  Passion.  Vision.  Mission.

We met in Korea and dated for a week before I returned to the States. We engaged in many phone calls and probably exchanged over a thousand letters since we both weren’t using this technology called ‘electronic mail.’ Just in case some of you don’t know what letters are…it’s when you put a pen to paper and write.

And while people boast of their marriage proposal stories, I’m pretty sure mine is the most romantic and unique:

The summer before our wedding [while I was still a student in seminary in New Jersey], I put on my best suit, got on my knees, picked up the phone to call Minhee in Korea, and in my best Korean drama voice…asked her to marry me.🙂

Here’s our wedding photo that still continues to amaze people. Minhee looks her usual photogenic self and I’ve been told I look “very different” – so different that people ask if it’s her “first husband.”

wedding-003-copy.jpg

And here are couple reasons why some refer to us as “The Beauty and the Beast…”

Filed under: , ,

1. Justin Fung says:

Happy anniversary! Congrats, Eugene!

2. daphne says:

Congratulations and happy anniversary to both of you. Here’s to many more years of wedded bliss.

3. Charles Lee says:

Congrats!

Did you shower back then?🙂

Hope you have a wonderful time celebrating.

4. Anita Kim says:

(Awww… Swoon…)

Happy Anniversary to an amazingly beautiful couple!!!

5. blueberry cheesecake says:

Loving greetings from Germany!
    God bless you hundredfold!
    Thank you for your example of faith, love and passion.

Your inner beauty (Eugene) inspires me, and Minhee, You are just gorgeous!

6. Happy Anniversary.
    And while your wedding photo looks very different from the second photo you posted, for my aesthetics the beard and curly long hair are just as beautiful and handsome, you seem no less photogenic in that photo.
    I am a goth and artist so its okay for me to say that, and it not be creepy!😉 Or maybe its more creepy.

7. Pat says:

Happy anniversary, and congratulations!!

8. Bryan says:

Congrats on the anniversary.

On the bottom picture, Brooke thinks you look like Slash but I was thinking that maybe you did a stint in the black panthers in your east coast days/daze.

9. Kenny says:

Happy Anniversary Eugene! You and Minhee look exactly the same as your wedding day……okay, well at least she does. =)

10. Nourisha says:

hilarious! happy anniversary!

11. Happy anniversary Eugene. Hope it’s a memorable one for you and Minhee!

12. georgesong says:

congrats indeed, PE! viv + i have much to learn from you guys. here’s to another 13 years…🙂

13. Oliver Jen says:

congrats and great pictures!🙂

14. Josh Roberts says:

Congrats Eugene & Minhee! Love the photo.

15. Eugene Cho says:

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement.

16. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eugene Cho, Marriage Tweets. Marriage Tweets said: @EugeneCho http://bit.ly/9LDjPw // Happy Anniversary my friend!😉 […]

Father - daughters bonding (and freezing) time at the Seahawks game. Grateful to the Panthers organization for the tickets. Now, go Hawks. Pound the Panthers. The family that karaokes together stays together. #ChoFamilyKPopFamily Family time in one of my favorite cities in the world - especially when the exchange rate is so favorable. Thank you, Vancouver, for being such a great refuge for our souls for the past 20 years. #QuestVancouver It's the day after...that day.
Be grateful. Again.
We woke up. We're alive.
Breathing. Dreaming.
Pursuing. Embodying. Loving.

Yes. Be grateful.
That you, Jesus.

Pastor Coby, Pastor Katey, Pam, Jalle, and Jasmin: We see you. We appreciate you. We are grateful for your presence and leadership at Quest and beyond. Thank you and all of our amazing volunteers

• Father/daughters bonding time at the Seahawks game. Grateful to the Panthers organization for the tix. Now, go Hawk… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 22 hours ago
  • "Genuine hope is not blind optimism. It is hope with open eyes, which sees the suffering and yet believes in the future." ~ Jürgen Moltmann || 1 day ago
  • They play against my Seahawks tomorrow but who cares. What a privilege to preach the Gospel at the Carolina Panther… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 1 day ago
  • We wait for Christ to return to restore all things but while we wait, we join and partner with God to work towards that restoration. #advent || 2 days ago
  • Washington Huskies. 2016 PAC-12 Champs! #WOOF || 2 days ago
  • If the grass feels greener on the other side, it might be the Holy Spirit reminding you to water the grass you're standing on. || 3 days ago