beauty and the beast – 13 years

anniversary2

On February 1, 1997, Minhee and I exchanged vows and committed ourselves to Christ, one another, our families and community –  the journey of loving, serving, and growing as husband and wife, father and mother, and mutual followers of Christ.  Today, we celebrate our 13th anniversary.  I know that it is customary [and wise] to speak well of your spouse on your anniversary but Minhee truly is an expression and embodiment of God’s grace and beauty to my life. Our marriage – while clearly not perfect – remains focused on the three pillars I often share with others:  Passion.  Vision.  Mission.

We met in Korea and dated for a week before I returned to the States. We engaged in many phone calls and probably exchanged over a thousand letters since we both weren’t using this technology called ‘electronic mail.’ Just in case some of you don’t know what letters are…it’s when you put a pen to paper and write.

And while people boast of their marriage proposal stories, I’m pretty sure mine is the most romantic and unique:

The summer before our wedding [while I was still a student in seminary in New Jersey], I put on my best suit, got on my knees, picked up the phone to call Minhee in Korea, and in my best Korean drama voice…asked her to marry me. 🙂

Here’s our wedding photo that still continues to amaze people. Minhee looks her usual photogenic self and I’ve been told I look “very different” – so different that people ask if it’s her “first husband.”

wedding-003-copy.jpg

And here are couple reasons why some refer to us as “The Beauty and the Beast…”

Filed under: , ,

1. Justin Fung says:

Happy anniversary! Congrats, Eugene!

2. daphne says:

Congratulations and happy anniversary to both of you. Here’s to many more years of wedded bliss.

3. Charles Lee says:

Congrats!

Did you shower back then? 🙂

Hope you have a wonderful time celebrating.

4. Anita Kim says:

(Awww… Swoon…)

Happy Anniversary to an amazingly beautiful couple!!!

5. blueberry cheesecake says:

Loving greetings from Germany!
    God bless you hundredfold!
    Thank you for your example of faith, love and passion.

Your inner beauty (Eugene) inspires me, and Minhee, You are just gorgeous!

6. Happy Anniversary.
    And while your wedding photo looks very different from the second photo you posted, for my aesthetics the beard and curly long hair are just as beautiful and handsome, you seem no less photogenic in that photo.
    I am a goth and artist so its okay for me to say that, and it not be creepy! 😉 Or maybe its more creepy.

7. Pat says:

Happy anniversary, and congratulations!!

8. Bryan says:

Congrats on the anniversary.

On the bottom picture, Brooke thinks you look like Slash but I was thinking that maybe you did a stint in the black panthers in your east coast days/daze.

9. Kenny says:

Happy Anniversary Eugene! You and Minhee look exactly the same as your wedding day……okay, well at least she does. =)

10. Nourisha says:

hilarious! happy anniversary!

11. Happy anniversary Eugene. Hope it’s a memorable one for you and Minhee!

12. georgesong says:

congrats indeed, PE! viv + i have much to learn from you guys. here’s to another 13 years… 🙂

13. Oliver Jen says:

congrats and great pictures! 🙂

14. Josh Roberts says:

Congrats Eugene & Minhee! Love the photo.

15. Eugene Cho says:

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement.

16. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eugene Cho, Marriage Tweets. Marriage Tweets said: @EugeneCho http://bit.ly/9LDjPw // Happy Anniversary my friend! 😉 […]

Minhee and I met these college boys when we first arrived in Seattle in 1997. They were part of our bible study that we led in our apartment for college students. They were also among the group of 7 people that helped start @seattlequest.

Much has changed in the world...but not their friendship and love. Thank you Jin and George. We love and honor you. These are crazy times in our country and larger world but nevertheless, we're going to keep pursuing the things that God has placed upon our hearts. We're pressing forward...doing our part to reflect mercy, compassion, and justice - locally and globally.

Wednesdays are my @onedayswages office day and I especially love the culmination of hard work for our interns, volunteers, 2 full-time staff, and board as we collaborate with our NGO partners. This week, we signed these checks as we granted out over $75,000 to provide better health care for mothers and their families in Mali and Nepal.

THANK YOU for making this possible Your classic play it cool because you're visiting your old stomping grounds at Princeton and pretend you're not cold but in actuality, you're freezing picture. 20 years, 2 weeks, and counting. What a journey with this woman. I love her...and I want to keep growing in love, honor, and respect. Great to catch up with @jlin7 in Brooklyn at the Nets game. Grateful for his partnership with @onedayswages to support our Girls' Empowerment Fund. The season hasn't been what he hoped for with major injuries...but we can't wait to see you back on the court soon and do what you do. Stay encouraged, brother. Thanks for your faithful witness for Christ. Playoffs! Let's go #11. Point Guard. Living my hoop dreams through my girl.

pc: ed tanaka

• Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 10 hours ago
  • The statement,"Theology doesn't matter.I just want to love Jesus!" is in itself a theological statement & proof why theology really matters. || 21 hours ago
  • Never forget. 75 years ago today (2/19/42), the USA govt issued Executive Order 9066 to send 120,000 Japanese Ameri… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 2 days ago
  • Seeking justice is part of our discipleship. In other words, seek justice not just to change the world...but to be changed more like Christ. || 3 days ago
  • Honored to have @efremsmith at Quest Church tomorrow as we continue in our annual Faith and Race series. Join us. -… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 days ago
  • I rarely pray for the press but lately, praying 4 their honesty & courage. Whatever our political views, we need th… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 4 days ago