what are your goals for 2010?

New Flash! We’re on the brink of 2010. The older I get, the faster time seems to fly. I’m (again) sharing 7 personal goals for the upcoming year. Why seven? Just sounds more spiritual…

But I also would love to hear from you. Note to lurkers, stalkers, and quiet blog readers: No one will bite…

What are some of your goals for 2010?

Here are my 7 personal goals for the upcoming year – all in hopes of honoring Christ through my life, family, & gifts:

1. Minhee. Exact same entry from last year. Weekly date night with my wife, Minhee. I don’t care how busy I get with church, cafe, and NGO and I don’t care how busy she gets with her studies, we go on a weekly date night. Evening walks count. // This past year, we grew closer together but didn’t do too well on this goal and need to recommit to this.  This is always my priority because our healthy marriages feeds and blessed everything else.

2. Kids. More time with my children. The kids are now 11, 9, and 6.5 and they’re not slowing down. I want to enjoy them, love them, raise them, nurture them, and enjoy them. Enjoy them. Enjoy them. // Did well this past year despite our family trials this past year and look forward to even a better year.

3. Books. I’m going to read 24 12 books this upcoming year. One book each month. // Tried two/month in ’09 and miserably failed. Managed to get through about one/month and it felt about right.

4. Weight and No more Ruptured Achilles. I want to lose 15 pounds. I’m at 159 165 now and I’m going to get down to 145 150.  // Need to exercise not just to lose weight but honestly, to just be healthy. I’m realizing that weight isn’t a primary goal anymore. I just want to be healthy and not rupture any more tendons in my body.

5. Book Proposal. I feel humbled that publishers have expressed interest in my thoughts and words. I feel pregnant. I think I can give birth to something substantive. This was one of my goals this past year but just didn’t have bandwidth and have no regrets trying to force anything. Still not really motivated.

5. Prayer. So simple. Want to pray more. More prayer walks.

6. One Day’s Wages. Well, we did it. It’s now off the ground and now that it is, here are the goals I shared with our board and team: 10,000 sign-ups and 1 million+ in donations (and most of it distributed in projects & grants we support).

7. Hobby. Need to find some more hobbies. I dabbled in photography and would like to eventually get a DSLR someday because I continue it. But I also want to go fishing again. And start running again.

Filed under:

1. Sue says:

I love your goals – especially #5 about Prayer. It’s my goal every year.

One of my goals this year is to move physically and emotionally closer to my parents.

2. Jason says:

Figure out how to be the best father I can possibly be…we’re expecting our first in February!

3. Andie says:

Hey, Eugene, that number one goal remains important year after year…good for you for staying true to watering the marriage.

….added goal for this year: let my mind DWELL on that which is good.

4. Anna says:

Eugene,

What do you mean by “prayer walks”?

5. Congratulations on getting One Day’s Wages off the ground, Eugene. I know it has been a challenging year for you. Please know that many of us have been praying.

In the spirit of Henry David Thoreau, I resolve every year to try and live more deliberately. So my goals for 2010 include:

– Reassessing my perceived needs to see if they really are needs after all.
    – Taking Jesus more seriously.
    – Partnering with a friend to launch a new church in my small town.
    – Realizing my lifelong dream of publishing a book. (Comes out in July!)

6. chad says:

1. work less
    2. make friends
    3. climb more

7. Bryan says:

I am kind of a geek when it comes to goals and getting things done. I have found that for me, I set and review on a quarterly basis because a year is too long for me to keep at it and too much stuff changes. I have been using the acrostic F.O.C.U.S for the last few years to keep it balanced.

Jan-March 09

F. Family
    • Weekly Date Kerri
    • Weekly B-ball with Jonathan
    • Weekly Draw with Kailie and Caleb
    • Weekly Music with Brooke
    • Family: 3 new NW activities

O. Objectives
    • Wrestle with “least of these” questions
    • Create track for DMin

C. Connection with God and Others
    • Spiritual Discipline: Study- Mark
    • Start a Blog (3x a week)

U. Underneath the Surface
    • Look at issues and impact around deferred hope

S. Staying in Shape

• Daily Walk
    • Daily Stretch
    • Body Weight Workout (3x

8. lori says:

1. Make prayer a daily habit.
    2. Make exercise a daily habit.
    3. Spend more time with my dog Nellie.

9. lukedaniel says:

Be able to Translate Spanish (Got fluency), Nail the MCAT’s, Learn French, Get into Med School, Wake up the same time every day regardless of the time I go to bed, and dance more…

10. Bill B says:

2010 goals:

1–Spend more time with my kids.
    2–Freedom from addiction
    3–Read through the Bible.
    4–Get my own place.
    5–Get a car.
    6–Write my book.
    7–Serve more.

11. Jake says:

should i start making your lattes with non-fat milk?

12. ruthie says:

Given up making these goal lists. They never work – read through the bible – ha – how many times has that been on my list! I think I’ll go with the flow and see where God takes me.

13. Steve says:

My resolution last year was to really obey Matt 6:27ff, culminating in the command to “don’t worry, and … seek first the Kingdom…”

I then realized I had no idea what that meant. Then I realized that I have been reading the words of Jesus for about 50 years, and really do not consider His words as the words to live by. Like Love you enemies. Much less love your neighbor as yourself. If I obey just those two commands, my life will be ruined!

So, this year, I will revert to the words of John the Baptist, and try to learn to “Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand”

First, … gotta figure out what He meant for the people to repent of!

Pastor E: Make one of those books “A Praying Life” by Paul Miller. That will help two resolutions in one, sort of.

14. klstrovas says:

Couldn’t bring myself to make any this year. I didn’t do too spectacularly last year…so I suppose maybe the same list is in order? I’m a long time lurker/reader, enjoy your blog a lot. Your honesty and perspective are a blessing.

15. Linda says:

Our life feels suspended in many ways–lots of wait going on. So, I’m trying to live each day as the main act–a one act play, putting all I have into this one day, not worrying or focusing on the unknown tomorrows. This works some of the time, but I would like to be more engaged in today and more confident in God about tomorrow.

I worship each day with prayer, and time in quiet with God and His Word–only He can teach me how to live fully this day. Some days this is done on a prayer rug, or on a walk, or while darting between demanding tasks. My heart’s desire is to stay connected to God, focused on Him, confident in Him. I am falling deeper and deeper in love with him as he continues the stripping process in our lives.

I also need to eat well and exercise. Since we live in the mountains with grocery stores and restaurants at least 20 minutes away, both goals are attainable if I am disciplined. It is so beautiful here–that makes it easy to stay motivated to walk the hills even when it is cold, snowy, icy, rainy. The sky is always different.

Build community–I don’t know how to do this here. People know we’re not here to stay and we’ve actually had our invitations turned down. This hasn’t ever happened to us before. It is hard to know what to start that I might not be able to finish, what commitments to make that might end up broken. I feel paralyzed in this area–not doing so good. Yesterday I ate with the folks who come to our church on Thursdays for a warm lunch. It was good to be with them.

Our work has often taken us to the least of these, to those different from us, who face challenges we know nothing about. I want to learn more, identify closer, become friends and come alongside the hidden people where I am–I just have to find them. Some of them come to lunch on Thursdays, some of them work on near-by farms. I’m asking God to show me the doors He wants me to go through.

I have family in WA who are really hurting. A huge question for us–are they the hidden people we’re to care for?

16. Imerson says:

Stay in shape and eat healthy.

17. ruthie says:

You know what? After reading all of these I feel inspired to try again. I’m going to try and read the bible through after all.

18. Lyn says:

I’ve never been one for resolutions. I never really accomplish things without that unearthly “drive” that randomly seizes you!

But this year, my husband and I are making a few.

First, I will finish reading through the whole Bible. I’m in Joshua and loving the OT way more than expected.

Hubby and I will start running again. We did a marathon last fall and since have slipped into pudgey apathy.

19. Bryan says:

Here’s an interesting alternative to goals/resolutions from Donald Miller http://donmilleris.com/2010/01/01/living-a-good-story-an-alternative-to-new-years-resolutions/

20. Jay says:

1) Epic mountaineering

21. Jay says:

Oops…

In 2010, what I did was:

1) Epic mountaineering
    2) Epic work in my passion
    3) Epic revelation – Holy Spirit revealed meaning in scriptures where I did not find meaning before
    4) Ran marathon
    5) Epic Hope
    6) Epic everything else, everything was epic to the point of surreal and life affirming.
    7) My problems became dramatically smaller as my concern for others and for the afflictions of man became greater. Filled with the energy of the Spirit, I became filled with desire and drive to help others and to spread the good news rather than worry about my problems.
    8) Told satan to get behind me and out of my sight and he obeyed
    9) Number 9 was between me and God. I talked to Jesus about it.