jack bauer is a very naughty man

I admit it. I was glued to the TV show, 24, and its central character, Jack Bauer for the first two seasons.  I didn’t watch it on TV but rented them on DVD and voraciously devoured them over couple weeks. But after two seasons of episodes, it seemed like the same thing – again and again. And here’s another question that kept me awake for nights:

Why doesn’t Jack Bauer ever go to the bathroom?

But I digress.

Another reason why I stopped watching is that despite how heroic Jack Bauer may be, he was becoming a naughty man. How naughty? Check out this video of him interrogating Santa Claus…just in time for Christmas. Enjoy.

Share/Bookmark

Filed under: , , , , , ,

1. […] a follow-up to my recent post on Santa, I came across this in my “research”. Thanks to Eugene Cho for finding […]

2. Jack Bauer does not go to the bathroom, because his ethics and tortured soul prevent him from being able to.

Once again, Jack putting himself on the line for the sake of the world. He’s lost his family, been in hiding, been tortured, and now he’s on the naughty list.

3. Henry Zonio says:

Ha! Saw this via AllTop. I laughed so hard. I keep watching 24 simply because of the ridiculous-ness of what they pack in to 24 hours. Jack can go from clinically dead and being shocked back to life to fighting a terrorist in a matter of a couple of hours. It is also interesting to watch through the ethical grayness… some of it is though-provoking.

4. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Paul Steinbrueck, Jaystevenson. Jaystevenson said: Jack Bauer. Alone. In a room with Santa http://bit.ly/4XJc7o (via @ShaunKing) […]

5. Alex Oh says:

That was pretty funny. Clever editing.

Most people connect Kiefer Sutherland with Jack Bauer but I remember the first time I saw him was in the memorable role of Dr. Schreber in Dark City. I always remember Sutherland as that nervous, stuttering Doctor.

6. Jim says:

i’m kinda crushed…it’s like my childhood vs. my manhood…and all this on the when I’m going to watch Polar Express with my kids…why don’t they make it where Jack has to take over the polar express train…what is this?the holiday patriot act?

7. Erik H says:

Eugene, it’s quite easy to understand. He goes pee when they switch to a scene that he isn’t in.

8. John Barcanic says:

It’s actually simple biology: Jack Bauer never goes to the bathroom because he never eats.

I was also a big 24 fan at the beginning. Sometime in the middle of season 2 we started counting the number of times he used the words “protocol” or “set up a perimeter” in every episode. Not worth our time any more.

9. Fraser says:

Jack goes to the bathroom during the 20 minutes of commercials in every “hour-long” episode. They should call it “16”.

10. Cam Schneider says:

Jack Bauer totally drops the deuce during the commercial breaks, then gets back into things when they’re back from the break. That’s tons of opportunities.

11. Andy M says:

Though I’ve never paid enough attention to know for sure, I don’t think anybody on TV shows or movies go to the bathroom, unless its a comedy.

12. Peter says:

I acknowledge that after first few seasons, “24” has started to feel… familiar… but Jack Bauer’s style is what keeps me interested… and the writers are doing a good job… but it is nearing time to let go and say ‘goodbye’ before it becomes like “Alias”.

13. Contrast “24” with “The Sopranos.” One becomes (nauseatingly) intimate with many of the bodily functions of Tony, Pauli, Chrisy, and Big Pussy. But Soprano characters are not ‘real’ Americans (notice how many names end in vowels). Jack represents Real America as the heroic (usually white) individualized male (over the ineffectual, ‘feminized’ impotent, and dithering intellectuals and all there inability to solve real-world problems because of the constraints imposed by other tofu-liberals more concerned with building criminals self-esteem than ‘kicking ass”–that may be a quote from Dick Cheney). Unlike Jesus (in several ways) Jack is self-resurrecting, he gives his life over and again to an ungrateful world full of weaklings and traitors. Thus his body attains a kind of holiness as a site of pain and scarification, and his beatified flesh is only allowed the humanity we can project ourselves upon. He is at once a wounded-healer and a wounding-killer; Jack is the Jesus we would invent for ourselves–he is America’s Calvinist Golem. We can forgive him any transgression (torture, lying, stealing, murder) everything except making us confront the truth of our own broken humanity. It is difficult to imagine Jesus/Jack sitting on a toilet and wiping his Butt. If he is that human, then maybe he is not god enough to save us from the next terrible apocalypse threatened by evil-doers who despise us for our virtue and goodness. Obliged.

14. Rick in Texas says:

I love 24. And I loved the clip.

Last season (or was it the 2 hour summer special they made to invite us back after the previous season collapsed due to the strike and Kiefer’s own legal troubles)opened with jack doing missions work in Africa.

Incidentally if you like Kiefer’s work, he is a featured player in what may be my favorite movie of all time or at least in the top 5 – “To End All Wars”, a splendid WW2 film. You should check it out Eugene (and readers)

15. […] Jack Bauer Interrotages Santa Claus The editing in this clip is so funny and it’s probably the funniest thing I’ve seen in a while. It’s more funny if you know the character of Jack Bauer. […]