forgiveness

Forgiveness.

So hard and yet, the most liberating thing that we can do.

Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. [Colossians 3.13 NIV]

Watch this video below.

What are your thoughts?
What kind of advice would you give someone that is having difficulty forgiving someone?

From the video:

Forgiveness does not change the past; it does enlarge the future. We cannot heal until we forgive…

Share/Bookmark

Filed under:

1. Don Bryant says:

Just lettin’ it go!!! Forgiveness is the miracle no one sees.

2. Tony says:

A quote that I heard at an InterVarsity conference is “Unforgivingness is the poison we drink to get at someone else.”

3. Kenny Ahn says:

I have a big lump in my throat watching that. Powerful.

4. […] forgiveness « eugene cho eugenecho.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/forgiveness – view page – cached As you begin a new week, be reminded of the invitation to forgive. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. — From the page […]

5. chad m says:

wow. i’m reminded of the confessions/conversations i experienced at camp with Junior High students this summer. the pain and brokenness in our world met by forgiveness and grace is an incredible thing. it’s transformational. it’s inspirational. God’s grace CHANGES the world. that is the Gospel! thanks for sharing this Eugene!

6. Lori says:

Gulp! How powerful. I found myself putting myself in the young man’s place and my mother in place of the Father. My mom is gone now, and we never resolved the issues that came between us. But I can forgive and offer it to God. Perhaps He will pass it on to my mom. Unforgiveness of my mom has eaten me up from the inside out. Tony’s quote is dead on. Unforgiveness is a poison to us, not to the one who offended us. God forgive us for our unforgiveness.

7. Leah says:

Wow…pretty amazing.

8. Nicole says:

I am so glad you posted this, Eugene. For about a year, I have been struggling to forgive a certain person who deeply hurt someone I cared about. I watched the person feel no remorse and take no actions to make it right. In fact, the person wrote online about how they had received God’s forgiveness – simply because they asked God for it – not because they had truly confessed and repented. This person is still living in their deep sin and has no regrets.

What does it mean for me to forgive this person? What does forgiveness look like? It is so hard to forgive someone who shows no remorse or regret.

9. True Justice says:

[…] is one of the more powerful short stories I’ve seen in a long time.(ht)  I dare you to watch it. It’s on […]

First day of our daughter's college years at this great school. We love you. We're so proud of you.We believe in you. Go Huskies. Go Dawgs. And also, beat Stanford this Friday. As I soaked in this breathtaking sunrise this morning above the clouds, I felt compelled to pray for so my places in America and around the world that are experiencing such pain, heartache, injustice, and violence. At times, it feels so overwhelming but in prayer, I was reminded of these words from John 16:33. As we keep striving, working, hoping, preaching, loving, truthtelling, reconciling, repenting, forgiving, dismantling, peacemaking, Kingdom building...may we fix our eyes on Christ: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33 Grateful for a very full weekend of ministry and preaching in Toronto, Canada (GTA). Such a privilege to partner with @worldvisioncan @wvcollective to advocate for the most vulnerable around the world. God is so gracious. A true honor to meet and encourage local pastors, lecture at Tyndale University & Seminary (photo), and preach at Richmond Hills Community Church, Compass Point Bible Church, and New City Church. Thank you, Lord, that you use broken and imperfect people like me to speak of Your love. Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it.