forgiveness

Forgiveness.

So hard and yet, the most liberating thing that we can do.

Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. [Colossians 3.13 NIV]

Watch this video below.

What are your thoughts?
What kind of advice would you give someone that is having difficulty forgiving someone?

From the video:

Forgiveness does not change the past; it does enlarge the future. We cannot heal until we forgive…

Share/Bookmark

Filed under:

1. Don Bryant says:

Just lettin’ it go!!! Forgiveness is the miracle no one sees.

2. Tony says:

A quote that I heard at an InterVarsity conference is “Unforgivingness is the poison we drink to get at someone else.”

3. Kenny Ahn says:

I have a big lump in my throat watching that. Powerful.

4. […] forgiveness « eugene cho eugenecho.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/forgiveness – view page – cached As you begin a new week, be reminded of the invitation to forgive. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. — From the page […]

5. chad m says:

wow. i’m reminded of the confessions/conversations i experienced at camp with Junior High students this summer. the pain and brokenness in our world met by forgiveness and grace is an incredible thing. it’s transformational. it’s inspirational. God’s grace CHANGES the world. that is the Gospel! thanks for sharing this Eugene!

6. Lori says:

Gulp! How powerful. I found myself putting myself in the young man’s place and my mother in place of the Father. My mom is gone now, and we never resolved the issues that came between us. But I can forgive and offer it to God. Perhaps He will pass it on to my mom. Unforgiveness of my mom has eaten me up from the inside out. Tony’s quote is dead on. Unforgiveness is a poison to us, not to the one who offended us. God forgive us for our unforgiveness.

7. Leah says:

Wow…pretty amazing.

8. Nicole says:

I am so glad you posted this, Eugene. For about a year, I have been struggling to forgive a certain person who deeply hurt someone I cared about. I watched the person feel no remorse and take no actions to make it right. In fact, the person wrote online about how they had received God’s forgiveness – simply because they asked God for it – not because they had truly confessed and repented. This person is still living in their deep sin and has no regrets.

What does it mean for me to forgive this person? What does forgiveness look like? It is so hard to forgive someone who shows no remorse or regret.

9. True Justice says:

[…] is one of the more powerful short stories I’ve seen in a long time.(ht)  I dare you to watch it. It’s on […]

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 2 days ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 5 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 5 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 5 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 1 week ago