forgiveness

Forgiveness.

So hard and yet, the most liberating thing that we can do.

Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. [Colossians 3.13 NIV]

Watch this video below.

What are your thoughts?
What kind of advice would you give someone that is having difficulty forgiving someone?

From the video:

Forgiveness does not change the past; it does enlarge the future. We cannot heal until we forgive…

Share/Bookmark

Filed under:

1. Don Bryant says:

Just lettin’ it go!!! Forgiveness is the miracle no one sees.

2. Tony says:

A quote that I heard at an InterVarsity conference is “Unforgivingness is the poison we drink to get at someone else.”

3. Kenny Ahn says:

I have a big lump in my throat watching that. Powerful.

4. […] forgiveness « eugene cho eugenecho.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/forgiveness – view page – cached As you begin a new week, be reminded of the invitation to forgive. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. — From the page […]

5. chad m says:

wow. i’m reminded of the confessions/conversations i experienced at camp with Junior High students this summer. the pain and brokenness in our world met by forgiveness and grace is an incredible thing. it’s transformational. it’s inspirational. God’s grace CHANGES the world. that is the Gospel! thanks for sharing this Eugene!

6. Lori says:

Gulp! How powerful. I found myself putting myself in the young man’s place and my mother in place of the Father. My mom is gone now, and we never resolved the issues that came between us. But I can forgive and offer it to God. Perhaps He will pass it on to my mom. Unforgiveness of my mom has eaten me up from the inside out. Tony’s quote is dead on. Unforgiveness is a poison to us, not to the one who offended us. God forgive us for our unforgiveness.

7. Leah says:

Wow…pretty amazing.

8. Nicole says:

I am so glad you posted this, Eugene. For about a year, I have been struggling to forgive a certain person who deeply hurt someone I cared about. I watched the person feel no remorse and take no actions to make it right. In fact, the person wrote online about how they had received God’s forgiveness – simply because they asked God for it – not because they had truly confessed and repented. This person is still living in their deep sin and has no regrets.

What does it mean for me to forgive this person? What does forgiveness look like? It is so hard to forgive someone who shows no remorse or regret.

9. True Justice says:

[…] is one of the more powerful short stories I’ve seen in a long time.(ht)  I dare you to watch it. It’s on […]

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.