the TNIV bible translation gets the ax

TNIV Study Bible_0Let me begin by asking a simple question:

What Bible translation do you use and why?

As a pastor and wanna be theologian, I have, read, and use countless bibles and various translations in my bookshelves. Couple years ago, I made the switch to the TNIV as my primary devotional bible reading. Prior to that, I was using mostly the NIV and NRSV. Our pastoral staff (and even our denominational tribe, the ECC) also began teaching from the TNIV as part of our ongoing  commitment to exegetical preaching.

I know that the TNIV is not a perfect translation. Regardless what folks may think, there is no perfect translation but like other translations I read and respect, the TNIV is a scholarly and faithful translation of the Holy Scriptures. And while no translation of the Scriptures should be held hostage to any particular agendas, I very much appreciated its willingness to take gender inclusivity as one of numerous important considerations.

Listen to what I’m saying carefully: The TNIV is not about gender inclusivity but sadly, it was pegged and even advertised as such. The TNIV is about the Holy Scriptures foremost. And while others will strongly disagree, I find it difficult for translations NOT to take into account for appropriate gender neutrality and inclusivity…which is why I was very disappointed to read yesterday that the TNIV will be abandoned and cited as a “mistake” by its publishers.

The cultural landscape of evangelicalism and mainstream Christianity can sometimes be schizophrenic. And as of late, with the increasing rise of the macho, masculine, and ultimate fighting Jesus presentation, the TNIV was immensely refreshing and encouraging – all while being scholarly faithful.

While I understand that there’s always more going on behind the scenes that contribute to the pulling of the plug, I see the following as some mistakes: Zondervan’s initial presentation of the TNIV to the public; the abysmal support from the publishers since its release and in the face of criticisms, and now, their “exit strategy” which sends some awful and mixed messages.  Having said that and despite being disappointed with the unplugging of the TNIV, I am eager to check out the 2011 NIV…

In announcing a major revision of the New International Version (NIV) of the Bible, Biblica (formerly the International Bible Society and Send The Light, or IBS-STL) CEO Keith Danby said decisions surrounding the release of the NIV inclusive language edition and the 2002 revision, Today’s New International Version (TNIV), were mistakes.

“In 1997, IBS announced that it was forgoing all plans to publish an updated NIV following criticism of the NIV inclusive language edition (NIVi) published in the United Kingdom. Quite frankly, some of the criticism was justified and we need to be brutally honest about the mistakes that were made,” Danby said. “We fell short of the trust that was placed in us. We failed to make the case for revisions and we made some important errors in the way we brought the translation to publication. We also underestimated the scale of the public affection for the NIV and failed to communicate the rationale for change in a manner that reflected that affection.”

Danby said it was also a mistake to stop revisions on the NIV. “We shackled the NIV to the language and scholarship of a quarter century ago, thus limiting its value as a tool for ongoing outreach throughout the world,” he said.

“Whatever its strengths were, the TNIV divided the evangelical Christian community,” said Zondervan president Moe Girkins. “So as we launch this new NIV, we will discontinue putting out new products with the TNIV.”

Girkins expects the TNIV and the existing edition of the NIV to phase out over two years or so as products are replaced. “It will be several years before you won’t be able to buy the TNIV off a bookshelf,” she said.

“We are correcting the mistakes in the past,” Girkins said. “Being as transparent as possible is part of that. This decision was made by the board in the last 10 days.” She said the transparency is part of an effort to overhaul the NIV “in a way that unifies Christian evangelicalism.”

“The first mistake was the NIVi,” Danby said. “The second was freezing the NIV. The third was the process of handling the TNIV.”

More from Christianity Today // Article from USA Today

Filed under: , , ,

1. Samuel says:

As you cited, the TNIV is not a perfect translation but what Zondervan is doing by killing the TNIV is sad.

2. I agree. There is no perfect translation. There just isn’t. Even the oldest manuscripts we have aren’t perfect. I usually default to the NRSV as my main translation, mainly because it’s the translation that is used most often in my tradition. I never got a TNIV myself but I have several friends who love it. I like the idea of updating the NIV, but citing that the TNIV was a mistake because of gender inclusivity sends the wrong message, I think. It makes me think the committee caved to pressure from the neo-fundamentalists.

3. Shawn Yoder says:

I’ve just started reading the ESV and really like it! I don’t have a TNIV myself but some of my friends do and they were really disappointed when they heard the news about them cutting it. But I am anxious to see what the NIV is like.

4. Ben Sternke says:

I love the TNIV. I think it was really only another revision of the NIV, but the whole inclusive language thing made everyone freak out and blow it way out of proportion to its importance.

I heard they are coming out with some kind of new NIV Bible, and I’m hoping they keep the inclusive language. Actually Scot McKnight has some stuff about it here:

5. Jason says:

I had always used the NIV as my preferred translation and was fairly resistant to the TNIV when it first came out. But over the past 2 years as I began working more with the Hebrew and Greek, I started to come across what I would deem as being the occasional glaring translational error in the NIV that was corrected in the TNIV. Also, with the audience I was usually teaching, I found that the TNIV did a better job communicating the concepts than the NIV did. While the TNIV did a good thing with the inclusiveness, I sometimes get the feeling that they went a little too far in certain texts without giving due thought to the nuances of each instance of “man” or “mankind.” So far, I tend to gravitate toward the ESV for something fairly literal yet easy to read; but the TNIV is by far the easiest to preach with.

6. Adrienne says:

I found the TNIV and loved it.
    What amuses me is that my large, college-age church has pastors that preach out of the NIV (and they pass out cheap NIVs in the service), but when they read passages out loud, they “inclusivise” them manually by saying:
    “Therefore brothers (and sisters, of course),”

After reading _How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth_ I am 100% on board with gender-neutrality. I guess Zondervan should just package a hermeneutics book with each Bible.

7. Julie says:

I suppose I’ll just stick with the NRSV (professors tend to prefer it, anyway), but it was nice to have the TNIV as a good second translation.

Here’s my slightly-odd frustration (in addition to the frustrations mentioned by Eugene and others above): We often use the TNIV in services because (in addition to its excellent translation) it is online at Bible Gateway and we can easily copy-and-paste long passages into slides, printouts, etc. Perhaps Bible Gateway will keep it up? Otherwise, I forsee many hours of typing out passages (the NRSV is not online)…

I’m frustrated by Zondervan’s apparent priorities: more concerned for “evangelical unity” (and profit?) as they said in one article I read than for solid scholarship.

8. Jake says:

Thanks for flashing the light on the TNIV.

I wonder what cave I have been living in.

Too bad they are discontinuing the edition.
    Too much politics in the religious publishing business.

I’ll try to run down a copy.

9. Shane Bertou says:

It sure is a good thing God made the Bible an open source document. We’ll get one we all like eventually.

I’m being sarcastic.

But seriously, does this make the TNIV the Windows Vista of Bible translations?

10. Daniel Azuma says:

Studying at Regent College over the past few years, I had the privilege of rubbing shoulders with some of the people who worked on the TNIV, top scholars for whom the translation was a labor of love and a major step forward in Biblical scholarship on a great many fronts. I find this news almost unbelievable, but if it is true, it is shocking, disturbing, and greatly disrespectful to the people who worked hard to make it one of the most accurate and linguistically up to date translations ever produced.

11. Dan says:

Eugene, You are being way too gracious with your post. The publishers couldn’t handle the criticism and saw sales of the ESV bible skyrocket and the rest you can figure out.

12. The TNIV is a weak translation and was agenda driven, at least in part. The ESV is THE translation for today’s biblical communicator. It’s literal, yet readable. It spans the NIV and NASB.

And the ESV study Bible? If you don’t have that, you might be Guttenberg.

All good. Glad the TNIV is finally out. We have plenty other good translations.

13. Joe Louthan says:

To you, Eugene and those from the gender neutrality/inclusive camp, may I ask this:

You want the Bible to address both brothers and sisters equally. Yet, the vast majority of the weight of responsibility falls on the men. For our wives, our children and the people we lead. Their lack of spiritual growth falls a little bit on them but most of it is on us. We men have to give account of all the people we were responsible for.

Now, I have not read the TNIV. The NIV, to me, doesn’t read very well. It is a bear for me to read through it. That and the mistranslations are glaring. (I know there is no perfect translation.)

I know or assume that the TNIV did not go through blindly and replace ‘brothers’ with ‘brothers and sisters’, etc..

You say that we there is this push for machismo, Ultimate Fighter Christians and I completely acknowledge that without the Spirit of Christ, that could go wrong in a hurry.

But answer me this, is not the American Church overmothered and underfathered? Futhermore, doesn’t the Bible clearly place the majority of the weight of glory and responsibility on the men?

14. Eugene Cho says:

@Joe,

Thanks for your comment. I love the manner and tone you ask those important questions.

Would you be cool if I simply posted that entire comments as a post tomorrow on my blog? You ask some important questions that I’d love others to consider addressing.

15. Christa says:

To Julie above: http://www.crosswalk.com does actually include the NRSV in its online Bible search options. The website itself is not my style, but I used the search feature a lot during my time in seminary!

16. wayne park says:

2 on the committee, Fee and Waltke, I’ve had the privilege to learn from. exegetical excellence is something they stand for and I don’t think they brought disingenuous motives, esp re; gender issues. they were foremost, just being faithful to the text

17. ryan says:

ironic that the translation is being axed for what may well be a response to a cultural uptick in sales of the ESV – I enjoy my TNIV and will continue to lean heavily on the NRSV.

18. David says:

Like Daniel, during my time at Regent, we were able to hear personal accounts of the translation process from several CBT members, and there was good ecumenical support from the beginning. Unfortunately, bad press focused on gender issues and it became way overblown- even in spite of the fact that some 70%+ of the changes had nothing to do with gender.

@Alan: I’m not sure what “agenda” you speak of, but to call a scholarly translation like the TNIV “weak” and to laud the ESV as “THE” translation reeks of the ideological elitism that has, in my experience, tarnished my perspective of those who promote the ESV. I actually do think the ESV is a decent translation, but I’m tired of being told by the neoconservative reformed hardliners that I’m somehow less “biblically accurate” if I’m not on the ESV train. If the TNIV had an “agenda”, then it’s no less so than the ESV’s reactionary alternative to the NRSV. And as for the ESV study bible, I’d hardly consider Grudem the impartial biblical theologian many make him out to be. Packer is another story, but I think he’s at least in part being used by some neocalvinists to up their theological street cred. Let’s just call the ESV what it is: a solid, conservative evangelical update of the RSV.

19. daniel so says:

@David – Thanks for your thoughtful response to calling the TNIV a “weak” translation and upholding the ESV as *THE* translation for biblical communicators. I have had similar experiences with those whose enthusiasm for the ESV almost dwarfs their commitment to the Bible itself.

I would not hold up any single translation as the only “true” translation. Personal preferences for different translations are fine but, truth is, all translations have bias & “agenda” built into the equation (whether we’re talking about the TNIV, ESV, or whatever).

@Eugene – Thanks for this great post. I share your disappointment (both with the discontinuation of the TNIV and the way in which Zondervan is handing it). It’s sadly ironic that Zondervan states that one of their mistakes with the launch of the TNIV was dropping it on people unannounced; isn’t that exactly what they’re doing now in discontinuing it?

20. Tyler says:

I use the NIV and the ESV and am looking forward to the coming update.

21. raymundmitchell says:

Eugene,

Thanks for this post and apologies for the length of my comment. From reading the comments before mine, I can see that you have many faithful students, pastors, teachers and others that not only read your blog but think about the messages you bring to light.

This one strikes home for me in many ways. At various times in my life I have tried (unsuccessfully) to read the Bible. I remember the first time I did it with any level of seriousness. I was probably about 10, I read for an hour or two from the chapter of Genesis on my grandmothers KJV. As a reward she gave me a few pieces of candy. It is one of my fondest memories of my grandmother, it happened over thirty years ago and it stays with me. I can’t say the same of the KJV, I remember that being a tough slog.

I have gone back and forth attempting to read the Bible, attending churches that only referenced the Bible in passing or relied upon the “Ye’s” and “Yea’s” of the KJV. It wasn’t until I got my hands on hands on an NIV translation that I began reading more, and understanding the lessons inside. When I began attending a church where the NIV is used on the lectern I grew closer to the Lord because I could understand his message.

I am currently working through “The Bible in 90 Days” at biblegateway.com. What is helping me greatly is the ability to quickly move through many different translations, experiencing the nuances in the various translations. In this way, I’m learning more and I am engaged in what I am reading.

Now to the point of the blog post: Backing away from a translation because it’s unpopular with some (who obviously have already read their own Bibles) is shortsighted and thoughtless. If through “being inclusive” someone is encouraged in a time of need, is brought to Christ or can read it long enough to get through Genesis, it should be made available. The TNIV may not be a perfect translation, but translating “used to” mean putting things into words someone else can understand. I guess we’ll see whether it’s so much of a mistake that they won’t allow it to be distributed open-source.

Now let’s talk about how much new parallel Bibles cost…it’s not like the author is demanding residuals.

22. Alex Oh says:

Sorry about hijacking this post, but since we’re talking about the Bible, there’s a question that I’ve always asked myself that I don’t know the answer to.

I’m pretty sure the Bible wasn’t written by humans, dictated by God. It was written by humans inspired by God.

My question then is, “What does it mean to be inspired by God?”

23. DF says:

We would normally encourage our students to use the NRSV – it has the closest, and most ‘readable’, English translation from Greek & Hebrew.

However, even reading in source languages can be tricky (depending on the codex, Septuagint, or Greek / Hebrew Bible you use) some aspirated differently, some dispute certain diacriticals… At the end of the day an NRSV Bible and a good commentary are best!

24. […] controversy, culture, preaching | Leave a Comment I was deeply disappointed to learn (via Eugene Cho’s blog) that Zondervan will no longer continue to publish the TNIV translation of the Bible. I have been […]

25. […] TNIV translation is being stopped and Zondervan released a statement slamming it and regretting they produced it. […]

26. jeffkramerak says:

No matter what the translation, we must be careful that the true MEANING is not tainted, or changed…we cannot add or take away words, lets not forget what it says in the last book of Revelations.

27. Gary Zimmerli says:

Also to Julie above, the Oremus Bible Browser at http://bible.oremus.org/ is pretty much the default NRSV online. It’s also available online at http://biblos.com/, and http://www.studylight.org/ among others.

28. Joe Louthan says:

Eugene,

You never need my permission to do so. Go for it.

I will be here tomorrow.

29. Julie says:

Christa and Gary – thanks so much! (Saving me from typing and the congregation from my typos…)

30. Jennifer says:

Scot McKnight is saying that the new NIV (2011) will be 95% similar to the TNIV. The new translation is in the “hands of the CBT, now led by Doug Moo, who was leading it with the TNIV (right?)….Moo has clearly said 95% of NIV 2011 will be TNIV, so I’m not sure it is right to say it is tanked or dead or history. The TNIV will be alive and well in the NIV 2011.”

If that is true, the question becomes: which 5% will be changed.

31. ME says:

Ha, you all beat me to the electronic version of the NRSV. The NRSV has been the text of choice for my home church, theology classes, and my current church family. So it’s my native Bible dialect, so to speak. I also have an NIV study Bible that I got as a confirmation gift. As I learned more about exegesis and theology, some of the footnotes and translations started to bug me, so now I use the NRSV for my devotional reading.

As a poet, though, I like to have both of them (as well as the KJV, the Message, whatever comes to hand). I’m working on some song lyrics based on the Psalms right now, and sometimes I’ll find a word in the NIV that just sings better than the NRSV version. Or vice versa. I think that can be one of the benefits of new/unfamiliar translations. If we take scripture’s words for granted because we’ve heard then in church every Sunday for decades, a new translation or paraphrase can wake us up to what the text (and the Spirit?) might have been trying to say all along.

32. elderj says:

I never liked the NIV and disliked the TNIV even more. Each time I’ve read either of them, it feels as if intelligence is steadily leaking from my brain. They are “readable” to some, and I’ve used them (of necessity) from time to time since so many folks seem enamoured of them, especially the NIV, and have no difficulty using them to lead Bible study or preach, but I definitely don’t like it.

I grew up on the KJV of course, and am “fluent” in KJV, but prefer the NKJV usually. Elizabethan English is actually quite a bit more precise than contemporary English hence the enduring beauty of Shakepeare. “Screw your courage to a sticking place and we shall not fail” or perhaps “Whithersoever thou goest, I shall go”… Can’t beat that for beauty and the clever employment of the continuous present tense.

Lately I have preferred the ESV. However I’m not going to burn down the village over my preference for any particular version.

The TNIV got axed for the simple reason that it wasn’t selling. So yeah, it was a mistake and the “gender neutral” marketing (not the scholarship that went into it) was a obvious attempt to dethrone the NRSV for that title that backfired.

As a general principle I prefer word for word rather than thought for thought translations, even though the end result is not as “smooth.”

33. Brian says:

I use the esv because a friend mentioned it to me that it was a cross between an NIV and a NASB. But when it comes down to it I think I just bought it out of hype. I also have a TNIV. I think TNIV’s are cool.

34. J. P. says:

I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out that you can have all of these translations in your PDA or fuller-size computer of choice.

Accordance has a nifty compare text feature that lets you see exactly how Bibles vary from one another, e.g., you can compare two Hebrew/Aramaic, two Greek, or two Latin alphabet translations and see the pluses, minuses, and differences. So it would be very easy to run the TNIV and the NIV 2011 through this feature and generate a report showing you exactly where the changes are. I do this myself occasionally with the RSV and NRSV/ESV, for example.

35. J. P. says:

p.s. Of course, you can currently compare the NIV and the TNIV in Accordance.

36. […] God bless him.  Eugene Cho also is lamenting its demise. I personally have used the TNIV on occasion (usually because there was no other option available) […]

37. chad m says:

i use the kjv because if it was good enough for Jesus it’s good enough for me…

seriously though, i have used the TNIV since receiving one for free at midwinter in 2005. i have also relied on the NRSV quite a bit and for a bit found the New Living Translation readable. isn’t this a weird dialogue in which we’re engaged? which translation is better? they are ALL translations! pick the one that meets your study needs and get in the Word!

very interested in your post for tomorrow…

38. calvin c says:

I split my time between the TNIV and the NRSV — TNIV when reading broader, longer passages with part of me really wishing it had become the standard pew Bible for most evangelical churches — and the NRSV for more in-depth study and meditation.

I actually like the ESV but, like many other commenters, thoroughly detest what it has come to represent: the “orthodox” hyper-partisan evangelical conservative reformed complementarian and faux “impartial scholarship” translation of choice.

One factor no one has really mentioned so far is reading level — the fact that the NIV/TNIV writing style is much more accessible to the general public and much more understandable when reading paragraphs or pages at a time in one sitting.

I commented on Scot’s blog on this, as well, but I think regardless of how this pans out the ESV is going to come out of this gaining a lot of ground in market share though it’ll still be a decade or so before the dust settles. I really hope the new NIV is able to regain some of the evangelical prominence the translation once had while maintaining and improving upon the changes of the TNIV.

My (reformed evangelical) church caters to a brainier crowd and is fairly set on sticking with the NRSV as a pew Bible.

We currently use a hodgepodge of surplus missions conference NRSV and TNIV “pew” Bibles in the college fellowship I advise. I’d been considering purchasing a few cases of hardcover TNIV’s this semester for long-term use but with the translation being phased out and the NRSV not being the best translation for that setting I guess I’ll have to wait this out.

39. Joe Chavez says:

Little late to the the discussion here.

I’ve used the NASB since the mid-90’s. I actually bought my Ryrie NASB Study Bible during a time I was not walking with the Lord and before being saved. I was “searching” (after having grown up Roman Catholic).

I bought the NASB at the time after doing comparisons of all the major translations. NASB was frequently described as being the most literal and accurate translation. And at the time, it was the most recent version (1995).

If I were to replace my main study Bible, I’ll have to make a decision to stick with the NASB or switch to the new ESV.

I also have a copy of the KJV. I would love to have a study version of it.

40. randplaty says:

Wow. I don’t use the TNIV regularly but my wife does. I didn’t need a new bible but when I did, I would have bought a TNIV.

41. BL78 says:

There are many who are gender sensitive because some were possibly impacted negatively in different ways. For listeners/readers who struggle with gender issues when reading Scripture, the TNIV will not be very a good option. With God’s grace, the speaker/writer will have to help bring the listener/reader up to understand the heart of the author, the context of the passage, historical background, etc… which will help the individual understand from author’s perspective. This will heal the struggling individual to remove the “tainted glasses” and understand/read Scripture with the proper “glasses”.

To go to the extreme example, lets say a large group of Gentiles had a traumatizing experience because they were mistreated badly by some Jewish people. Or some may have been brainwashed to believe Jewish people are terrible people. Because of the negative impact, they now have a hard time reading the Bible because they read the name “Jew” or “Jewish”. The answer to this is not to translate the Bible as “race neutral” by removing “Jew” and “Jewish” and replacing it with “God’s people”. It’s the speaker/writer’s job to bring up the listener/reader to the author’s perspective.

42. John says:

I have used many English translations, from extremely literal (NASB) to pretty dynamic (NLT) as well as several paraphrases. Over the years, I have found that those translations that try to split the difference between the 2 extremes are the best choices for a general all-around Bible for devotional reading and study. If you get too literal, you could miss the point of the passage. Too dynamic and you may be reading the commentary of the translator. Since I know zero original languages, I must rely on those people who do know the languages. I use the TNIV and hope the 2011 NIV does an even better job of translating God’s Wword.

43. […] I’m going to go out on a limb and speculate that he doesn’t use the TNIV translation for his preaching. […]

44. Arukiyomi says:

with over 2200 languages representing 200 million people still without the word of God in their own languages, the fact that we’re still misdirecting precious resources in Bible translation is a travesty of stewardship

For more head to Wycliffe Bible Translators’ Last Languages Campaign.