3,231 miles and my left foot

IMG_7746

We returned yesterday from a great two week family vacation & decompression. With some help from my wife and the car’s cruise control, we drove 3,231 miles through the Northwest and Midwest using my left foot since I ruptured my right Achilles.

Over the years, I’ve learned what I need to do to really rest and decompress well:

• Leave the state.
  • Turn off my cellphone (didn’t use my phone at all since it had no reception).
  • Limit internet access (was on for about 60 minutes throughout 2 weeks).
  • Eat and Play as a Family.

I hate coming back from a “vacation” and feeling like “I need a vacation from my vacation” so it feels good to feel really rested and rejuvenated. And excited about the work and challenges ahead…

Here are some pics from our drive and camping excursions:

The kids want a pet so we suggested bringing a buffalo from Yellowstone Park.

IMG_7642

A nice large mouth bass catch.

IMG_7671

Enjoyed the beautiful scenery. Just nice to soak God’s creation.

IMG_7732

Visited some friends who’ve become farmers in their 2nd seasons of life. Dug up some great veggies including these potatoes. Minhee looks the part as a farmer.

IMG_7649

Our 6 year old son’s first fish ever caught. He kept casting in an area I told him NOT to cast and bam, he hooks a beast.  (Sorry for the blurry eyes. Still don’t feel comfy w/ kids on the internet…)

IMG_7672

Nature’s beauties at Yellowstone Park. Next year: Glacier National Park.

IMG_7634

By far, the biggest fish we caught but can’t take total credit. My eldest daughter hooked it and instantly asked for help as she was being dragged into the water. Took me about 10 mins to haul this catfish in. We released the majority of the fish =Mae Eun Tang. 🙂

IMG_7729

Filed under: , , ,

1. Dave says:

Welcome back. Glad you got some R & R.

2. Shawn Yoder says:

Wow! that is a nice catfish! Could not more highly recommend Glacier National. Last year we went to both Yellowstone and Glacier and while Yellowstone was great Glacier blew me away

3. your friend says:

Congrats, fisherman in a double sense!

4. Welcome back, Eugene!

That’s exactly the kind of vacation that I love too! Many blessings to your ministry as you start another (school) year of ministry and life.

My wife and I are at the hospital right now, waiting for our baby to come into this world. Leanna is being induced, so this will probably be a long day for us. Thanks for prayers!

5. Daphne says:

Looks like an awesome vacation was had by all. Welcome home.

6. Lori says:

So glad you got the rest, refreshment you needed. Judging by the smiles you all have on your faces, it looks like a good time was had by all. Welcome back.

7. pjchris says:

Glad your safely home and enjoyed Yellowstone (and love Minhee’s bonnet!) Impressive fish, too. Quite the fishers you are raising! Can’t say enough about Glacier. Make sure you take in Going to the Sun Road. Absolutely breathtaking. If you have a chance, add a detour to the First Peoples Buffalo Jump in Ulm. Spectacular views and amazing cultural history.

8. Ric Wild says:

Yellowstone is definitely on the list…

P.S. It’s been great having a Quester here at NPTS

9. ben says:

wow…you are the bassmaster pro. nice work!

yeah, I hate that post-vacation “I need a vacation” feeling. what’s the secret?

welcome back!

10. looks like an incredible trip. welcome home.

11. Eugene Cho says:

@pjchris: thanks for those DVDs. they were very very very very nice to have over those 3,231 miles.

12. […] my family took a 3231 mile drive around the Northwest and Midwest and meeting up with my folks for some great quality time including […]

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working