3,231 miles and my left foot

IMG_7746

We returned yesterday from a great two week family vacation & decompression. With some help from my wife and the car’s cruise control, we drove 3,231 miles through the Northwest and Midwest using my left foot since I ruptured my right Achilles.

Over the years, I’ve learned what I need to do to really rest and decompress well:

• Leave the state.
  • Turn off my cellphone (didn’t use my phone at all since it had no reception).
  • Limit internet access (was on for about 60 minutes throughout 2 weeks).
  • Eat and Play as a Family.

I hate coming back from a “vacation” and feeling like “I need a vacation from my vacation” so it feels good to feel really rested and rejuvenated. And excited about the work and challenges ahead…

Here are some pics from our drive and camping excursions:

The kids want a pet so we suggested bringing a buffalo from Yellowstone Park.

IMG_7642

A nice large mouth bass catch.

IMG_7671

Enjoyed the beautiful scenery. Just nice to soak God’s creation.

IMG_7732

Visited some friends who’ve become farmers in their 2nd seasons of life. Dug up some great veggies including these potatoes. Minhee looks the part as a farmer.

IMG_7649

Our 6 year old son’s first fish ever caught. He kept casting in an area I told him NOT to cast and bam, he hooks a beast.  (Sorry for the blurry eyes. Still don’t feel comfy w/ kids on the internet…)

IMG_7672

Nature’s beauties at Yellowstone Park. Next year: Glacier National Park.

IMG_7634

By far, the biggest fish we caught but can’t take total credit. My eldest daughter hooked it and instantly asked for help as she was being dragged into the water. Took me about 10 mins to haul this catfish in. We released the majority of the fish =Mae Eun Tang.🙂

IMG_7729

Filed under: , , ,

1. Dave says:

Welcome back. Glad you got some R & R.

2. Shawn Yoder says:

Wow! that is a nice catfish! Could not more highly recommend Glacier National. Last year we went to both Yellowstone and Glacier and while Yellowstone was great Glacier blew me away

3. your friend says:

Congrats, fisherman in a double sense!

4. Welcome back, Eugene!

That’s exactly the kind of vacation that I love too! Many blessings to your ministry as you start another (school) year of ministry and life.

My wife and I are at the hospital right now, waiting for our baby to come into this world. Leanna is being induced, so this will probably be a long day for us. Thanks for prayers!

5. Daphne says:

Looks like an awesome vacation was had by all. Welcome home.

6. Lori says:

So glad you got the rest, refreshment you needed. Judging by the smiles you all have on your faces, it looks like a good time was had by all. Welcome back.

7. pjchris says:

Glad your safely home and enjoyed Yellowstone (and love Minhee’s bonnet!) Impressive fish, too. Quite the fishers you are raising! Can’t say enough about Glacier. Make sure you take in Going to the Sun Road. Absolutely breathtaking. If you have a chance, add a detour to the First Peoples Buffalo Jump in Ulm. Spectacular views and amazing cultural history.

8. Ric Wild says:

Yellowstone is definitely on the list…

P.S. It’s been great having a Quester here at NPTS

9. ben says:

wow…you are the bassmaster pro. nice work!

yeah, I hate that post-vacation “I need a vacation” feeling. what’s the secret?

welcome back!

10. looks like an incredible trip. welcome home.

11. Eugene Cho says:

@pjchris: thanks for those DVDs. they were very very very very nice to have over those 3,231 miles.

12. […] my family took a 3231 mile drive around the Northwest and Midwest and meeting up with my folks for some great quality time including […]

Today, Minhee and I dropped off our eldest child at her college. We have been thinking and praying about this day for many years. On some days, we hoped it would never come. On other days, we couldn't wait for it to come. On some days, we prayed for time to stop and other days, we prayed with anticipation.

A flood of thoughts rushed my mind.

Is she ready?
Have we done enough?
Have we taught her enough?
What if this? What if that?

And I came home.
And I wept.
Forget my street cred.
I miss her. I love her.
She will always be my little baby.

Happy life. - Eugenius 3:16

I still remember that time, many years ago, when Minhee was pregnant with our first child. She had left her family and friends in Korea just two years before. Her morning sickness was horrible and when she finally had an appetite, she craved her favorite Korean food from certain restaurants in her neighborhood in Seoul, Korea. I had no way of getting that food from those restaurants so I actually said, "How about a Whopper? Big Mac?" Sorry honey. Eat away. You deserve it. I don't care if it sounds mushy but sunsets are one of my love languages. Seoul, Korea was amazing but WOW...what a breathtaking welcome back sunset by Seattle. Not ready to let go of summer. Seattle. 7:00pm. Desperately holding on to summer. #goldengardenpark #nofilter Happy Birthday, Minhee! I'm so grateful for you. You radiate faith, hope, and love.  No...you don't complete me. That would be silly and simply humanly impossible but you keep pointing me and our family to Christ who informs and transforms our lives, marriage, family, and ministry. Thanks for being so faithful. I love you so much. (* And what a gift to be in Korea together.)