3,231 miles and my left foot

IMG_7746

We returned yesterday from a great two week family vacation & decompression. With some help from my wife and the car’s cruise control, we drove 3,231 miles through the Northwest and Midwest using my left foot since I ruptured my right Achilles.

Over the years, I’ve learned what I need to do to really rest and decompress well:

• Leave the state.
  • Turn off my cellphone (didn’t use my phone at all since it had no reception).
  • Limit internet access (was on for about 60 minutes throughout 2 weeks).
  • Eat and Play as a Family.

I hate coming back from a “vacation” and feeling like “I need a vacation from my vacation” so it feels good to feel really rested and rejuvenated. And excited about the work and challenges ahead…

Here are some pics from our drive and camping excursions:

The kids want a pet so we suggested bringing a buffalo from Yellowstone Park.

IMG_7642

A nice large mouth bass catch.

IMG_7671

Enjoyed the beautiful scenery. Just nice to soak God’s creation.

IMG_7732

Visited some friends who’ve become farmers in their 2nd seasons of life. Dug up some great veggies including these potatoes. Minhee looks the part as a farmer.

IMG_7649

Our 6 year old son’s first fish ever caught. He kept casting in an area I told him NOT to cast and bam, he hooks a beast.  (Sorry for the blurry eyes. Still don’t feel comfy w/ kids on the internet…)

IMG_7672

Nature’s beauties at Yellowstone Park. Next year: Glacier National Park.

IMG_7634

By far, the biggest fish we caught but can’t take total credit. My eldest daughter hooked it and instantly asked for help as she was being dragged into the water. Took me about 10 mins to haul this catfish in. We released the majority of the fish =Mae Eun Tang. 🙂

IMG_7729

Filed under: , , ,

1. Dave says:

Welcome back. Glad you got some R & R.

2. Shawn Yoder says:

Wow! that is a nice catfish! Could not more highly recommend Glacier National. Last year we went to both Yellowstone and Glacier and while Yellowstone was great Glacier blew me away

3. your friend says:

Congrats, fisherman in a double sense!

4. Welcome back, Eugene!

That’s exactly the kind of vacation that I love too! Many blessings to your ministry as you start another (school) year of ministry and life.

My wife and I are at the hospital right now, waiting for our baby to come into this world. Leanna is being induced, so this will probably be a long day for us. Thanks for prayers!

5. Daphne says:

Looks like an awesome vacation was had by all. Welcome home.

6. Lori says:

So glad you got the rest, refreshment you needed. Judging by the smiles you all have on your faces, it looks like a good time was had by all. Welcome back.

7. pjchris says:

Glad your safely home and enjoyed Yellowstone (and love Minhee’s bonnet!) Impressive fish, too. Quite the fishers you are raising! Can’t say enough about Glacier. Make sure you take in Going to the Sun Road. Absolutely breathtaking. If you have a chance, add a detour to the First Peoples Buffalo Jump in Ulm. Spectacular views and amazing cultural history.

8. Ric Wild says:

Yellowstone is definitely on the list…

P.S. It’s been great having a Quester here at NPTS

9. ben says:

wow…you are the bassmaster pro. nice work!

yeah, I hate that post-vacation “I need a vacation” feeling. what’s the secret?

welcome back!

10. looks like an incredible trip. welcome home.

11. Eugene Cho says:

@pjchris: thanks for those DVDs. they were very very very very nice to have over those 3,231 miles.

12. […] my family took a 3231 mile drive around the Northwest and Midwest and meeting up with my folks for some great quality time including […]

Country living.
I like. The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. If you forget, start again. Back to fishing...I mean, umm...back to writing a book. There's no such thing as a self-made person. Someone believed, encouraged, and invested in you. Be grateful and be that someone for others.

Taking a break from the sabbatical...to partner in ministry in Denver at Cherry Hills Church and at the CRU staff conference. It was such a gift to be able to encourage a handful of folks one-to-one, a small group of Asian-American leaders from EPIC, and the larger group of 5000 staff during one of the sessions.

I've been personally blessed, challenged, encouraged, exhorted, and convicted by so many who have poured into my life - friends, acquaintances, and even strangers - and I hope to do that for others as I seek to be faithful to Christ.

Thank you, Lord.
#cru17 Nothing grows by itself. If something matters to us, may we be intentional about growing it.

Invest. Pray. Plant. Water. Nurture. Repeat. God sees and knows us. In fact, God knows everything about us.

Not just the good we try so hard to project but even the mess we often seek to hide.

Let this soak in: Not only are we fully known but in Christ, we are fully pursued and loved.

This is grace.