3,231 miles and my left foot

IMG_7746

We returned yesterday from a great two week family vacation & decompression. With some help from my wife and the car’s cruise control, we drove 3,231 miles through the Northwest and Midwest using my left foot since I ruptured my right Achilles.

Over the years, I’ve learned what I need to do to really rest and decompress well:

• Leave the state.
  • Turn off my cellphone (didn’t use my phone at all since it had no reception).
  • Limit internet access (was on for about 60 minutes throughout 2 weeks).
  • Eat and Play as a Family.

I hate coming back from a “vacation” and feeling like “I need a vacation from my vacation” so it feels good to feel really rested and rejuvenated. And excited about the work and challenges ahead…

Here are some pics from our drive and camping excursions:

The kids want a pet so we suggested bringing a buffalo from Yellowstone Park.

IMG_7642

A nice large mouth bass catch.

IMG_7671

Enjoyed the beautiful scenery. Just nice to soak God’s creation.

IMG_7732

Visited some friends who’ve become farmers in their 2nd seasons of life. Dug up some great veggies including these potatoes. Minhee looks the part as a farmer.

IMG_7649

Our 6 year old son’s first fish ever caught. He kept casting in an area I told him NOT to cast and bam, he hooks a beast.  (Sorry for the blurry eyes. Still don’t feel comfy w/ kids on the internet…)

IMG_7672

Nature’s beauties at Yellowstone Park. Next year: Glacier National Park.

IMG_7634

By far, the biggest fish we caught but can’t take total credit. My eldest daughter hooked it and instantly asked for help as she was being dragged into the water. Took me about 10 mins to haul this catfish in. We released the majority of the fish =Mae Eun Tang. 🙂

IMG_7729

Filed under: , , ,

1. Dave says:

Welcome back. Glad you got some R & R.

2. Shawn Yoder says:

Wow! that is a nice catfish! Could not more highly recommend Glacier National. Last year we went to both Yellowstone and Glacier and while Yellowstone was great Glacier blew me away

3. your friend says:

Congrats, fisherman in a double sense!

4. Welcome back, Eugene!

That’s exactly the kind of vacation that I love too! Many blessings to your ministry as you start another (school) year of ministry and life.

My wife and I are at the hospital right now, waiting for our baby to come into this world. Leanna is being induced, so this will probably be a long day for us. Thanks for prayers!

5. Daphne says:

Looks like an awesome vacation was had by all. Welcome home.

6. Lori says:

So glad you got the rest, refreshment you needed. Judging by the smiles you all have on your faces, it looks like a good time was had by all. Welcome back.

7. pjchris says:

Glad your safely home and enjoyed Yellowstone (and love Minhee’s bonnet!) Impressive fish, too. Quite the fishers you are raising! Can’t say enough about Glacier. Make sure you take in Going to the Sun Road. Absolutely breathtaking. If you have a chance, add a detour to the First Peoples Buffalo Jump in Ulm. Spectacular views and amazing cultural history.

8. Ric Wild says:

Yellowstone is definitely on the list…

P.S. It’s been great having a Quester here at NPTS

9. ben says:

wow…you are the bassmaster pro. nice work!

yeah, I hate that post-vacation “I need a vacation” feeling. what’s the secret?

welcome back!

10. looks like an incredible trip. welcome home.

11. Eugene Cho says:

@pjchris: thanks for those DVDs. they were very very very very nice to have over those 3,231 miles.

12. […] my family took a 3231 mile drive around the Northwest and Midwest and meeting up with my folks for some great quality time including […]

Father, please bless and protect these Iraqi and Syrian "refugee" children that have already endured so much. Protect their hearts and mind from unfathomable trauma. Plant seeds of hope and vision in their lives. And as we pray for them, teach us how to advocate for them. Amen. "We don't call them refugees. We call them relatives. We don't call them camps but centers. Dignity is so important." -  local Iraqi priest whose church has welcomed many "relatives" to their church's property

It's always a privilege to be invited into peoples' home for tea - even if it's a temporary tent. This is an extended Yezidi family that fled the Mosul, Iraq area because of ISIS. It's indeed true that Christians were targeted by ISIS and thatbstory muat be shared but other minority groups like the Yezidis were also targeted. Some of their heartbreaking stories included the kidnapping of their sister. They shared that their father passed away shortly of a "broken heart." The conversation was emotional but afterwards, we asked each other for permission to take photos. Once the selfies came out, the real smiles came out.

So friends: Pray for Iraq. Pray for the persecuted Church. Pray for Christians, minority groups like the Yezidis who fear they will e completely wiped out in the Middle East,, and Muslims alike who are all suffering under ISIS. Friends: I'm traveling in the Middle East this week - Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. (Make sure you follow my pics/stories on IG stories). Specifically, I'm here representing @onedayswages to meet, learn, and listen to pastors, local leaders, NGOs, and of course directly from refugees from within these countries - including many from Syria.

For security purposes, I haven't been able to share at all but I'm now able to start sharing some photos and stories. For now, I'll be sharing numerous photos through my IG stories and will be sharing some longer written pieces in couple months when ODW launches another wave of partnerships to come alongside refugees in these areas. Four of us are traveling together also for the purpose of creating a short documentary that we hope to release early next year.

While I'm on my church sabbatical, it's truly a privilege to be able to come to these countries and to meet local pastors and indigenous leaders that tirelessly pursue peace and justice, and to hear directly from refugees. I've read so many various articles and pieces over the years and I thought I was prepared but it has been jarring, heartbreaking,  and gut wrenching. In the midst of such chaos, there's hope but there's also a lot of questions, too.

I hope you follow along as I share photos, stories, and help release this mini-documentary. Please tag friends that might be interested.

Please pray for safety, for empathy, for humility and integrity, for divine meetings. Pray that we listen well; To be present and not just be a consumer of these vulnerable stories. That's my biggest prayer.

Special thanks to @worldvisionusa and @worldrelief for hosting us on this journey. 9/11
Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.

Today, I had some gut wrenching and heart breaking conversations about war, violence, and peacemaking. Mostly, I listened. Never in my wildest imagination did I envision having these conversations on 9/11 of all days. I wish I could share more now but I hope to later after I process them for a few days.

But indeed: Never forget.
And never stop working for peace.
May it be so. Amen. Mount Rainier is simply epic. There's nothing like flying in and out of Seattle.

#mountrainier
#seattle
#northwestisbest Took a train to Busan. Did not encounter any zombies but I was ready just in case.

Busan. First visit to this city (couple weeks ago) and was blown away by its beauty. Also, shocked that it has become the fifth largest containment port city in the world. That's a lot of import and export.

#MyAttemptToBeTheBestSmartphonePhotographer
#Pusan #SouthKorea

• Every convo with Iraqi/Syrian refugees included: 1 Have tea with us 2 We want peace 3 We hate ISIS 4 We want to go home 5 Don't forget us || 6 hours ago
  • Back safely from Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan to assess @OneDaysWages' partnerships & to film mini-documentary on refugee crisis. So many emotions. || 6 hours ago
  • Pray for Mexico. For those mourning loved ones. For those fighting for life - even under rubbles. For rescue workers. Lord, in your mercy. || 6 hours ago
  • Don't underestimate what God can do through you. God has a very long history of using foolish and broken people for His purposes and glory. || 2 days ago
  • Father, bless these Iraqi and Syrian refugee children that have already endured so much. As we pray, teach us how t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… || 4 days ago
  • Pray for Iraq. Pray for persecuted Church, minority groups (Yezidis) and Muslims alike who are suffering under ISIS: instagram.com/p/BZF2j6Ngrna/ || 4 days ago