the greatest drummer in the world

Need inspiration?

Because if you do, this might be one of the greatest things that you’ll ever witness. Such great skill, passion, and joy…

This is the beauty of art.

Whenever I get in a funk, this is one of those videos I turn to in order to be inspired. I give you the “Greatest Drummer in the World.” Make sure you watch the whole thing!

Quest is blessed with some gifted drummers. But no offense to any of these or other drummers who read this blog, check out the Korean drumming dude in the video.

He is the greatest drummer in the world.

For those who want to cover this song for your aspiring bands or your American Idol tryout…It’s called “You’re Too Much [or Unkind]” first sung by Kim Suhee in 1976 and written by Yang Cheon-gang.

Your last word was that you love me
You won’t come back
But tell me the truth
When you leave, leave without a word
Don’t make me cry

Too much [or ‘unkind’]
Too much [or ‘unkind’]
You’re too much [or ‘unkind’]

I quietly close my eyes
And picture you
I can’t forget all our memories
You, who’s gone, are cold-hearted
But I don’t regret it

Too much [or ‘unkind’]
Too much [or ‘unkind’]
You’re too much [or ‘unkind’]

now here are those lyrics in Korean

너무합니다 – 김수희

너무 합니다
당신은 너무 합니다

Filed under: entertainment, , ,

1. Patrick says:

Too funny. LOL.

2. Randall says:

ouch…I got a hernia just watching the guy!

3. Melanie says:

ooh he looks like he looooves his job! LOL

4. Su says:

That was AWESOME….I just wish the singer would have moved over. Do you think we could request that George only perform on the drums if he can promise to play like this?

5. young c-m says:

LOL. Thanks for providing a good laugh for today, Eugene!!! Great video. =)

6. Dan Hauge says:

many have rhythm, but only few have . . . . STYLE. Funny. He’s also really really good, actually.

7. Blake says:

I’m with Dan and Radall… dude’s got chops. Staying in control and moving around like that isn’t easy.

8. Brian says:

Loved that video! Here’s another drumming video that will put a smile on your face (Buddy Rich and Animal do a drum solo on The Muppet Show) http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/buddyrichmuppet.html

9. matt says:

I don’t know… I still kinda like this drumer:

10. Ricky says:

Haha. Wow. The last part was hilarious. Korean drummer headbangin’ like a rockstar. Greatness.

11. me says:

i don’t know if i can get george to play drums like this but i do know a drummer that plays for a band called harrison band in seattle.

12. Linda says:

All that, AND has great hair

13. Randall says:

aw, shucks…thanks PE & Linda

(and he has a blog…http://www.lonetomato.com)

14. Rebecca says:

I love the facial expressions he is making throughout the entire song. Good thing the singer never looked behind her-she would not have been able to keep singing her deep, emotional song-she would have been laughing too hard!

15. That was RUH–diculous. The facial expressions, oh my, the facial expressions. This guy gives whole new meaning to the phrase “move to the music.”

16. shirley says:

He was actually a very entertaining drummer lol.

17. jason says:

cool video…i think he should do a solo…very entertaining

18. jHong says:

all i know is, that chick TOTALLY stole the outfit i was gonna wear on sunday.

19. mellocello says:

oh man… is that what you’re going for when you tell me that i need to head bang more while i’m playing cello?

20. Terri says:

I wonder if he was like this in rehearsals! If so, that could be the reason why the singer didn’t turn around even once! I remember not being able to look at my drummer in one of my previous bands (all b/c of his facial expressions). 🙂

21. georgesong says:

many don’t know but that was me on drums and jin on the electric guitar. 😉

22. Jennifer says:

My son says that when he grows up, he wants to be like Mike, who drums for Quest, so that he can lead people in worship 🙂 🙂

23. penny says:

wow. This is…honestly…um…like nothing I have ever seen before.

24. Jimmy says:

hahaha that’s how the elder at my church plays drums. It looks just like him too.

But I’m partial to this guy. He’s intense.

Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove