vanity of vanities: my new hairstyle

What do you think?

Minhee and the kids want desperately for me to cut my hair. They can’t wait till One Day’s Wages is officially launched as I’m [trying] waiting till then as part of my quasi-Nazarite vow. But I’m thinking of growing out my fair forever.

Heck, I’m trying to be like Jesus…

Filed under:

1. your friend says:

You make me laugh!
    I will call you roughy from now on.

2. Sandy says:

Then you can start another Inc. One years haircuts for poverty. Develope a braclet or stick on tattoo that lets people know that your shaggy for poverty’s sake. I love it.

3. You’re my hero, PE! 😉

4. Rachael says:

Grow it out long enough to donate to http://www.locksoflove.org/. Then, do it again! 🙂

5. Jin says:

I believe Jesus had a mullet. U should cut the sides and front just a little.

6. Mark says:

If I could I would. But the Army requires me to keep my hair short so I envy ur freedom. Although long hair is just not becoming of me. Go for it!

7. Kwak says:

i hope ron doesn’t see this… he might become one of your first followers!

8. Nourisha says:

i personally think Jesus rocked a curly fro. hahaha. either way, good luck with that new do. my vote is with the fam for what it’s worth!

9. bob hyat says:

Jealous.
    A lot.

10. Darlene says:

You are one of the only pastors I am familiar with who is bold enough to do what you do with your hair

11. iy says:

showing off the natural curls for all the korean girls to envy? haha.

12. […] vanity of vanities: my new hairstyle What do you think? Minhee and the kids want desperately for me to cut my hair. They can’t wait till One […] […]

13. Eugene Cho says:

@iy: i still korean ahjimah’s that ask me if i got a perm.

14. jeff says:

having samson-like hair did nothing for the strength of your achilles… you should cut it so as to reduce some of the weight on your healing injury…

15. Barry says:

Shave your head bald and grow out the beard. Its epic, I promise.

16. hair schmair. Keep it long. You live outside the Bible belt.

17. Ben says:

Do what you want with it and just be thankful you have a nice full head of hair in the first place even in your advanced age. 😉

I see so many receding hairlines on young dudes it’s crazy. I don’t take it for granted.

18. Bryan says:

Hey! Isn’t that Mickey Rourke in his wrestler film??? ; )

"He must become greater; I must become less." - John 3:30 We have to remind ourselves of this truth every day lest we forget:

Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant.

Be faithful.

PS: Also, it helps to get some Vitamin D especially if you live in the rainy Northwest Thank you, Brooklyn, for the reminder. Umm, @jlin7 is a Christian but he wasn't very Christlike with me on the basketball court. He muscled me into the paint, dunked on me, mentioned my momma, and then said, "Stick with preaching." Just kidding. Kind of.

If you haven't heard, Jeremy Lin is donating his one games wages (approximately $140,000) and an additional $100 for every 3 pointer made to support Girls' Empowerment and Education through @onedayswages. That game is this Friday vs the Boston Celtics!

Join his campaign as he's inviting his fans to donate just $7. - http://onedayswages.org/jlin

Did you know that 32 million girls of lower secondary school age are not enrolled in school.

Did you know that every year of secondary school increases a girl’s future earning power by 20 percent.

Did you know that if all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, South and West Asia had a secondary education, child marriage would fall by 64 percent.

We can't change the entire world but we can impact the lives of one, few, and in some cases...many.

#jeremylin #jlin #linsanity #onedayswages Don't be held captive to either praise or criticism.

Know who you are.
Know what you're about.
Know WHO you serve.

The answer to who you serve makes all the difference... It's the day after International Women's Day - and it's still important to celebrate the contribution of women in our lives, society, and world. As we honor women all around the world, I'm also reminded of how women and children are those who are most deeply impacted by injustice - especially poverty.

Sadly, I have witnessed this reality in too many places. ​In 2012, I traveled to a remote area in Eastern Kenya as part of a @onedayswages response to a famine that struck the Horn of Africa region. This famine impacted nearly 13 million people and according to some sources, took the lives of about 250,000 people. During my trip there, I had the chance of meeting many people but the person that still remains in my memory was a Muslim woman named Sahara.

She was so hospitable in inviting us to her small and temporary home. During our conversation, I learned that ​Sahara traveled 300 kilometers (a little under 200 miles) – some by cart and some by foot – as they sought to escape the worst drought that has impacted East Africa (Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia) in the past 60 years.

This is not a misprint.
200.

She traveled about 200 miles on cart and foot. ​And all along, she was ill. If you look closely ​at the photo, you might notice the large lump in her throat - likely a large cancerous tumor.​ She did not travel alone. She traveled with her husband who I was not able to meet because he was staying with one of his five other wives in this polygamist community.  She did not travel alone. She also traveled with her six children – the youngest being about 1 and the oldest being around 8. She had just given birth to her sixth child when they began her journey. Her youngest was severely malnourished when they arrived to this new settlement in a town called Benane.
Sahara and her children all survived this journey. They survived because she persisted.
In honor of Sahara...and so many other women who keep...keeping on.