vanity of vanities: my new hairstyle

What do you think?

Minhee and the kids want desperately for me to cut my hair. They can’t wait till One Day’s Wages is officially launched as I’m [trying] waiting till then as part of my quasi-Nazarite vow. But I’m thinking of growing out my fair forever.

Heck, I’m trying to be like Jesus…

Filed under:

1. your friend says:

You make me laugh!
    I will call you roughy from now on.

2. Sandy says:

Then you can start another Inc. One years haircuts for poverty. Develope a braclet or stick on tattoo that lets people know that your shaggy for poverty’s sake. I love it.

3. You’re my hero, PE! 😉

4. Rachael says:

Grow it out long enough to donate to http://www.locksoflove.org/. Then, do it again! 🙂

5. Jin says:

I believe Jesus had a mullet. U should cut the sides and front just a little.

6. Mark says:

If I could I would. But the Army requires me to keep my hair short so I envy ur freedom. Although long hair is just not becoming of me. Go for it!

7. Kwak says:

i hope ron doesn’t see this… he might become one of your first followers!

8. Nourisha says:

i personally think Jesus rocked a curly fro. hahaha. either way, good luck with that new do. my vote is with the fam for what it’s worth!

9. bob hyat says:

Jealous.
    A lot.

10. Darlene says:

You are one of the only pastors I am familiar with who is bold enough to do what you do with your hair

11. iy says:

showing off the natural curls for all the korean girls to envy? haha.

12. […] vanity of vanities: my new hairstyle What do you think? Minhee and the kids want desperately for me to cut my hair. They can’t wait till One […] […]

13. Eugene Cho says:

@iy: i still korean ahjimah’s that ask me if i got a perm.

14. jeff says:

having samson-like hair did nothing for the strength of your achilles… you should cut it so as to reduce some of the weight on your healing injury…

15. Barry says:

Shave your head bald and grow out the beard. Its epic, I promise.

16. hair schmair. Keep it long. You live outside the Bible belt.

17. Ben says:

Do what you want with it and just be thankful you have a nice full head of hair in the first place even in your advanced age. 😉

I see so many receding hairlines on young dudes it’s crazy. I don’t take it for granted.

18. Bryan says:

Hey! Isn’t that Mickey Rourke in his wrestler film??? ; )

In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.
Pray and choose wisely.
Then invest deeply. May our compassion not just be limited to the West or to those that look like us. Lifting up the people of Iraq, Iran, and Kurdistan in prayer after the 7.3 earthquake - including the many new friends I met on a recent trip to Iraq.

The death toll rises to over 400 and over 7,000 injured in multiple cities and hundreds of villages along the Western border with Iraq.

Lord, in your mercy... We are reminded again and again...that we are Resurrection People living in a Dark Friday world.

It's been a tough, emotional, and painful week - especially as we lament the horrible tragedy of the church shootings at Sutherland Springs. In the midst of this lament, I've been carried by the hope, beauty, and promise of our baptisms last Sunday and the raw and honest testimonies of God's mercy, love, and grace.

Indeed, God is not yet done. May we take heart for Christ has overcome the world. "Without genuine relationships with the poor, we rob them of their dignity and they become mere projects. And God did not intend for anyone to become our projects." Grateful this quote from my book, Overrated, is resonating with so many folks - individuals and  NGOs. / design by @preemptivelove .
May we keep working