vanity of vanities: my new hairstyle

What do you think?

Minhee and the kids want desperately for me to cut my hair. They can’t wait till One Day’s Wages is officially launched as I’m [trying] waiting till then as part of my quasi-Nazarite vow. But I’m thinking of growing out my fair forever.

Heck, I’m trying to be like Jesus…

Filed under:

1. your friend says:

You make me laugh!
    I will call you roughy from now on.

2. Sandy says:

Then you can start another Inc. One years haircuts for poverty. Develope a braclet or stick on tattoo that lets people know that your shaggy for poverty’s sake. I love it.

3. You’re my hero, PE! πŸ˜‰

4. Rachael says:

Grow it out long enough to donate to http://www.locksoflove.org/. Then, do it again! πŸ™‚

5. Jin says:

I believe Jesus had a mullet. U should cut the sides and front just a little.

6. Mark says:

If I could I would. But the Army requires me to keep my hair short so I envy ur freedom. Although long hair is just not becoming of me. Go for it!

7. Kwak says:

i hope ron doesn’t see this… he might become one of your first followers!

8. Nourisha says:

i personally think Jesus rocked a curly fro. hahaha. either way, good luck with that new do. my vote is with the fam for what it’s worth!

9. bob hyat says:

Jealous.
    A lot.

10. Darlene says:

You are one of the only pastors I am familiar with who is bold enough to do what you do with your hair

11. iy says:

showing off the natural curls for all the korean girls to envy? haha.

12. […] vanity of vanities: my new hairstyle What do you think? Minhee and the kids want desperately for me to cut my hair. They can’t wait till One […] […]

13. Eugene Cho says:

@iy: i still korean ahjimah’s that ask me if i got a perm.

14. jeff says:

having samson-like hair did nothing for the strength of your achilles… you should cut it so as to reduce some of the weight on your healing injury…

15. Barry says:

Shave your head bald and grow out the beard. Its epic, I promise.

16. hair schmair. Keep it long. You live outside the Bible belt.

17. Ben says:

Do what you want with it and just be thankful you have a nice full head of hair in the first place even in your advanced age. πŸ˜‰

I see so many receding hairlines on young dudes it’s crazy. I don’t take it for granted.

18. Bryan says:

Hey! Isn’t that Mickey Rourke in his wrestler film??? ; )

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 10 hours ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 2 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 2 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 2 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 3 days ago
  • This is what we love to do. Empowering local, indigenous leaders to serve their own communities. Thanks for your su… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 3 days ago