i’m going to ground my son for life

My son is 6 years old. He’s the youngest of three kids.  This week, he had the following conversation with my wife (while I wasn’t there):

Son: Mom, can I marry you?
Minhee:  No, son. I’m already married. I’m married to Daddy.
Son: But…he’s injured.
Minhee: (Laughing hard…) Doesn’t matter. We’re married for life – in sickness and in health.

Dude!

My own son…my Padawan…while I’m down and injured with my ruptured Achilles and cast.  Should I ground him for life?

Kids say the darnest things. Got any funny stories?

Here’s my son at 2 years old:

august 28 pics 060

Filed under: , , , ,

1. Esther says:

Love your kid story – super funny!
    My son Zach (4yrs) and I were sitting out on the front porch a few weeks ago and he was mumbling alot so I kept saying “pardon?” Eventually he turns and looks at me and says, “Mom, why do you keep calling me pardon?”

2. Absolutely says:

One day my 3 and a half year old son and I were telling a story of how Jesus died on the cross for us. Then I said to him when we die we’ll go to heaven and meet Jesus. He quickly said NO and instead saying “When I die I go to see a Doctor and he will sting me on my legs”.
    _______________________________________________

3. your friend says:

I was sharing with children how wonderful it is to have Jesus, to be able to talk to Him any time about everything, and that He really hears our prayers and answers them for our BEST.

Then I shared about other kids, who pray to Buddha, and how Jesus loves them just the SAME.

Christof was very quiet during the evening meal. When his mom asked Christof to pass the butter, he said:

Mom, tell me, we don’t pray to butter, do we?

4. your friend says:

Here is another one:

When my friend’s son Joshua was three-and-half years old, he had his unique phase: When his parents said one thing, Joshua did the opposite. My friend explained to Joshua that when he is obedient to his parents, it gives joy to them. Joshua promised to be obedient. But a short time afterwards, Joshua was disobedient and as a result, his health was in danger. My friend exclaimed strongly: Joshua, you PROMISED to do it! Joshua responded: Oh, I am just like Pharaoh, I have changed my mind!

5. conniejoh2o says:

My youngest was about that age when she informed me she would be marrying her Daddy when she grew up. I asked “What about me?” she responded without hesitation, “Mr. Scott (our neighbor) is very nice”

6. Jim Gray says:

hilarious…one son talking to my wife when he was little that he and his sister could be married…Sharon had to explain that this wasn’t ok and why…

7. Calisonfire says:

Brilliantly smart kid, Eugene!

8. Ian says:

is that grounding for life idea a “keep your enemies closer” sort of deal?

9. Liz says:

He’s a cutie.

10. He is wayyyyyy to cute to punish for loving his mommy!

11. Becky says:

I love that kid!

So here’s a conversation we overheard the last time the Sneaths visited.

My oldest Boy: I’m going to be a scientist when I grow up.
    Sneath Oldest Girl: I’m going to be a nurse.
    Sneath Middle Girl: I’m going to be a pilot.
    My Youngest Boy: I’m going to be a penguin!

12. […] i’m going to ground my son for life My son is 6 years old. He’s the youngest of three kids.  This week, he had the following conversation with my […] […]

13. lheybella says:

aaaaaaaaw so cute 🙂

14. gar says:

You should have a follow-up convo and ask him what he thinks marriage is. He probably will have some funny quotes like these kids:

(was sent this forward during school by a co-worker)

15. dayazdani says:

Hmm, you’ve got some pretty tough competition there. You may want to, as a precaution.

16. Sure, those moves might get him grounded now, but they’re going to be very helpful later in life!

17. Will says:

I wouldn’t ground him, but that’s just me.

18. Ursula Ures says:

lovely situation, eugene! it’s delighting how little kids can deal with life and face it with really simple and clever attitudes..
    came across with your blog, and it’s been a great discovery 🙂
    regards!

19. darkcherrymocha says:

hilarious!

20. Nene says:

I know how he feels–smart kid. Don’t ground him get that kid a job–in politics or entertainment.

21. Jim says:

If your son is that sharp at six years of age, wait till he’s 16!

22. tami says:

Yes, Henri at age 7 still says he wants to live with me forever and never leave… we’ll see how and when that changes! 😉

It’s an age old comment and one that most moms do hear… well, maybe except for the injured part. But don’t forget your greek lit and Freud…

23. Lori says:

One time when my son was about 6 years old, he saw a poitical newspaper sitting on the dining room table. He was looking at a picture of Hilary Clinton (then the first lady) sitting at a banquet table and conversing with someone with a cup of coffee in her hand. I came up behind my son and leaned over to see what he was looking at. He pointed down to Hilary and said “Look mom, the government’s mother is having coffee!”

24. Girl™ says:

That is so cute. It really put a smile on my face.

25. Gahh! hes the cutest
    little kid :3

26. Eugene Cho says:

@jim: that was a scary comment.

“If your son is that sharp at six years of age, wait till he’s 16!”

27. thefuriousmindofaserialmom says:

very funny!

28. chad m says:

after church in Chicago a kid around 6-7 came up to the senior pastor and said, “is God lonely?” the pastor responded, “no, i don’t think God is lonely. why would you ask?” then we got to the good stuff. the kid responded, “i think God is lonely because he doesn’t have a wife. i think God needs a wife.” that was classic! i’ll never forget that moment!

29. jayaycee says:

When we were potty training my granddaughter, I picked her up from day care. As we came in the house, she shrieked, “I have to go potty, Nana,” and raced to the bathroom on her chubby little legs. Once she got settled on her potty chair, it got real quiet for a moment, then she let this loud, long drawn-out fart. Her eyes got big and she said, “Did you see that?” I laughed so hard!

30. agent58 says:

Kid are cool, I love being a father to my two daughter’s. They come up with such weird and innocent comments hourly.

31. everpest says:

Small children will not only SAY the darndest things, they will DO the darndest things…as did my nephew at a wedding.

He was supposed to be the ringbearer and walk down the aisle with his cousin (the flower girl). Halfway down the aisle, my nephew decided he’d had enough of the whole thing and simply went to sit down!

Then he became rather weary of his little white tuxedo at the reception…..

32. Rosalind Sciammas says:

It sounds like he’s trying to fill your shoes, since they’re…a bit too tight for you to wear right now. What a dear heart to want to give you a break as head of household and do his part to take care of Minhee.

33. […] Posted by yesnoshutupgo in LOL. Tagged: cute, mildly epic. Leave a Comment Link to the hilarious post here. […]

34. Laura says:

It’s difficult to explain cancer to little kids. I tried to tell a seven year old girl I babysit about my dad when he was sick, about losing his hair and throwing up sometimes. And in a time when it was very difficult for me to see the positive, she said, “at least if you have no hair the throw up doesn’t get stuck in it!”

35. Carrie says:

My sister babysits my 2 preschoolers (and her three) while I work. My 3 year old son came home one day and told me, “Auntie Jenn is the boss.” I smiled, imagining the situation that might have led to that proclamation. I asked him if I could be the boss when Auntie Jenn was not around. He said yes.

Later, he went up to my husband and said, “Dad, you’re not the boss. Auntie Jenn is the boss, and Mommy is the boss, but all the bosses are girls, and you’re just a boy.”

36. […] if you want a great laugh, read this story about my son asking my wife to marry her. It still cracks me […]

Window seat. For the win. As leaders, we must not see ministry and family as competing commitments.  We must not sacrifice our marriage and kids for the sake of "ministry." How can we? Loving our families IS ministry & good leadership.

And on a side note, we took this goofy photo for Mother's Day last Sunday at @seattlequest. I was shocked! What in the world happened to our kids? Our 13 year old son blocked four of my shots on the basketball court yesterday. He's since been grounded... I fear that we ask God to move mountains, forgetting that God also wants to move us.

In fact, it's possible that we are that mountain. Time flies. The eldest is wrapping up her 1st year in college and the college tours have begun for the 2nd child. The youngest enters high school in the Fall. Can't say enough about how proud Minhee and I are of the kids - not just of their accomplishments but the people they are and are becoming.

But...man...we can't wait to party it up when we're emptynesters. Party at our house. It's going to be epic. Humbled. Grateful. Mindful of God's grace and faithfulness in my life. It's all grace... It's an unexpected honor to be invited back - even with some mini-drama - to @princetonseminary to receive the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award - exactly 25 years after starting my journey there as a student in 1992. Wow.

Princeton isn't necessarily for everyone. And to say that I loved everything about my experience would be misleading but it was very formative. Ir challenged me to examine why I believed in what I believed. It reminded me that God could handle my questions. It prepared me for a post-Christian context where I am not entitled to be heard but I had to earn the right to be heard, and of course, it taught me that all is good with a Philly cheese steak at Hoagie Haven.

No one is an island to themselves and I am certainly an example of that. Many people - women and men, young and old, and of many backgrounds - prayed, encouraged, mentored, and loved me along the way. Grateful for my professors at seminary, my many classmates, and the numerous fellow staff and co-laborers I've had the privilege of serving Christ with past and present. And of course, I'm forever inspired by my parents, my children, and my wife, Minhee. Thank you for your faith, hope, and love...and oh, for your patience. Only your family will know and see both the best and worst of you. They've seen my worst...and keep on believing in me.

Thank you again, PTS and President Barnes, for this honor. Then, today, and tomorrow...by God's grace, just striving to be faithful to my Lord and Savior...to preach and live out the convictions of the whole Gospel. Amen. So humbled and grateful to be with @catalystleader in Cincinnati to encourage leaders from all around the country about the invitation to Uncommon Fellowship.

Preached from John 4. We can talk, preach, sing, philsophize, liturgize, and spit rhymes about Samaria...but we still have to talk through Samaria.

• "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor." ~ Tupac #trumpbudget || 2 days ago
  • Heartbroken. Praying for Manchester & the UK. For those mourning loved ones. For those injured and fighting for life. Lord, in your mercy. || 3 days ago
  • Window seat. For the win. https://t.co/yG66Sm2bvu || 5 days ago
  • As leaders, we must not sacrifice our family for the sake of ministry because loving our family IS good leadership: instagram.com/p/BUVAGVwg-5z/ || 5 days ago
  • We long for a Gospel that comforts but resist the Gospel that disrupts. Having the former without the latter seduces us into complacency. || 5 days ago
  • Love wins in the end but in the meanwhile,it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Love endures. || 1 week ago