i’m going to ground my son for life

My son is 6 years old. He’s the youngest of three kids.  This week, he had the following conversation with my wife (while I wasn’t there):

Son: Mom, can I marry you?
Minhee:  No, son. I’m already married. I’m married to Daddy.
Son: But…he’s injured.
Minhee: (Laughing hard…) Doesn’t matter. We’re married for life – in sickness and in health.

Dude!

My own son…my Padawan…while I’m down and injured with my ruptured Achilles and cast.  Should I ground him for life?

Kids say the darnest things. Got any funny stories?

Here’s my son at 2 years old:

august 28 pics 060

Filed under: , , , ,

1. Esther says:

Love your kid story – super funny!
    My son Zach (4yrs) and I were sitting out on the front porch a few weeks ago and he was mumbling alot so I kept saying “pardon?” Eventually he turns and looks at me and says, “Mom, why do you keep calling me pardon?”

2. Absolutely says:

One day my 3 and a half year old son and I were telling a story of how Jesus died on the cross for us. Then I said to him when we die we’ll go to heaven and meet Jesus. He quickly said NO and instead saying “When I die I go to see a Doctor and he will sting me on my legs”.
    _______________________________________________

3. your friend says:

I was sharing with children how wonderful it is to have Jesus, to be able to talk to Him any time about everything, and that He really hears our prayers and answers them for our BEST.

Then I shared about other kids, who pray to Buddha, and how Jesus loves them just the SAME.

Christof was very quiet during the evening meal. When his mom asked Christof to pass the butter, he said:

Mom, tell me, we don’t pray to butter, do we?

4. your friend says:

Here is another one:

When my friend’s son Joshua was three-and-half years old, he had his unique phase: When his parents said one thing, Joshua did the opposite. My friend explained to Joshua that when he is obedient to his parents, it gives joy to them. Joshua promised to be obedient. But a short time afterwards, Joshua was disobedient and as a result, his health was in danger. My friend exclaimed strongly: Joshua, you PROMISED to do it! Joshua responded: Oh, I am just like Pharaoh, I have changed my mind!

5. conniejoh2o says:

My youngest was about that age when she informed me she would be marrying her Daddy when she grew up. I asked “What about me?” she responded without hesitation, “Mr. Scott (our neighbor) is very nice”

6. Jim Gray says:

hilarious…one son talking to my wife when he was little that he and his sister could be married…Sharon had to explain that this wasn’t ok and why…

7. Calisonfire says:

Brilliantly smart kid, Eugene!

8. Ian says:

is that grounding for life idea a “keep your enemies closer” sort of deal?

9. Liz says:

He’s a cutie.

10. He is wayyyyyy to cute to punish for loving his mommy!

11. Becky says:

I love that kid!

So here’s a conversation we overheard the last time the Sneaths visited.

My oldest Boy: I’m going to be a scientist when I grow up.
    Sneath Oldest Girl: I’m going to be a nurse.
    Sneath Middle Girl: I’m going to be a pilot.
    My Youngest Boy: I’m going to be a penguin!

12. […] i’m going to ground my son for life My son is 6 years old. He’s the youngest of three kids.  This week, he had the following conversation with my […] […]

13. lheybella says:

aaaaaaaaw so cute 🙂

14. gar says:

You should have a follow-up convo and ask him what he thinks marriage is. He probably will have some funny quotes like these kids:

(was sent this forward during school by a co-worker)

15. dayazdani says:

Hmm, you’ve got some pretty tough competition there. You may want to, as a precaution.

16. Sure, those moves might get him grounded now, but they’re going to be very helpful later in life!

17. Will says:

I wouldn’t ground him, but that’s just me.

18. Ursula Ures says:

lovely situation, eugene! it’s delighting how little kids can deal with life and face it with really simple and clever attitudes..
    came across with your blog, and it’s been a great discovery 🙂
    regards!

19. darkcherrymocha says:

hilarious!

20. Nene says:

I know how he feels–smart kid. Don’t ground him get that kid a job–in politics or entertainment.

21. Jim says:

If your son is that sharp at six years of age, wait till he’s 16!

22. tami says:

Yes, Henri at age 7 still says he wants to live with me forever and never leave… we’ll see how and when that changes! 😉

It’s an age old comment and one that most moms do hear… well, maybe except for the injured part. But don’t forget your greek lit and Freud…

23. Lori says:

One time when my son was about 6 years old, he saw a poitical newspaper sitting on the dining room table. He was looking at a picture of Hilary Clinton (then the first lady) sitting at a banquet table and conversing with someone with a cup of coffee in her hand. I came up behind my son and leaned over to see what he was looking at. He pointed down to Hilary and said “Look mom, the government’s mother is having coffee!”

24. Girl™ says:

That is so cute. It really put a smile on my face.

25. Gahh! hes the cutest
    little kid :3

26. Eugene Cho says:

@jim: that was a scary comment.

“If your son is that sharp at six years of age, wait till he’s 16!”

27. thefuriousmindofaserialmom says:

very funny!

28. chad m says:

after church in Chicago a kid around 6-7 came up to the senior pastor and said, “is God lonely?” the pastor responded, “no, i don’t think God is lonely. why would you ask?” then we got to the good stuff. the kid responded, “i think God is lonely because he doesn’t have a wife. i think God needs a wife.” that was classic! i’ll never forget that moment!

29. jayaycee says:

When we were potty training my granddaughter, I picked her up from day care. As we came in the house, she shrieked, “I have to go potty, Nana,” and raced to the bathroom on her chubby little legs. Once she got settled on her potty chair, it got real quiet for a moment, then she let this loud, long drawn-out fart. Her eyes got big and she said, “Did you see that?” I laughed so hard!

30. agent58 says:

Kid are cool, I love being a father to my two daughter’s. They come up with such weird and innocent comments hourly.

31. everpest says:

Small children will not only SAY the darndest things, they will DO the darndest things…as did my nephew at a wedding.

He was supposed to be the ringbearer and walk down the aisle with his cousin (the flower girl). Halfway down the aisle, my nephew decided he’d had enough of the whole thing and simply went to sit down!

Then he became rather weary of his little white tuxedo at the reception…..

32. Rosalind Sciammas says:

It sounds like he’s trying to fill your shoes, since they’re…a bit too tight for you to wear right now. What a dear heart to want to give you a break as head of household and do his part to take care of Minhee.

33. […] Posted by yesnoshutupgo in LOL. Tagged: cute, mildly epic. Leave a Comment Link to the hilarious post here. […]

34. Laura says:

It’s difficult to explain cancer to little kids. I tried to tell a seven year old girl I babysit about my dad when he was sick, about losing his hair and throwing up sometimes. And in a time when it was very difficult for me to see the positive, she said, “at least if you have no hair the throw up doesn’t get stuck in it!”

35. Carrie says:

My sister babysits my 2 preschoolers (and her three) while I work. My 3 year old son came home one day and told me, “Auntie Jenn is the boss.” I smiled, imagining the situation that might have led to that proclamation. I asked him if I could be the boss when Auntie Jenn was not around. He said yes.

Later, he went up to my husband and said, “Dad, you’re not the boss. Auntie Jenn is the boss, and Mommy is the boss, but all the bosses are girls, and you’re just a boy.”

36. […] if you want a great laugh, read this story about my son asking my wife to marry her. It still cracks me […]

Everyone loves the idea of  reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. Charlottesville. So heartbreaking and infuriating. We weep and mourn over the hatred in the hearts of these white nationalists. We weep and mourn but we can't be defeated.

As I stare at this photo that's making its round on the internet, I'm reminded of the utter importance of showing up. I'm grateful for the news media, law enforcement, clergy, and peaceful protesters that are currently there to report, protect, pray, and protest.

And this is an invitation to us. May we not be mere bystanders. May we keep pressing forward. Seek justice. Love mercy. Walk humbly. Commit to truth-telling, justice, reconciliation, peacemaking. Follow the ways of Christ. Every day. And it's important to note that we don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. In fact, it's more important that we do this exactly where we're at. May we live out the call to reconciliation in our churches, workplaces, neighborhoods, schools, and around our dining tables. Lord, may it be so... We don't have to go to Charlottesville to do this. We have to do this wherever were called to be.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. /// Thanks to those who let me know that the photo wasn't actually from today but rather from last month in Charlottesville. - https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/posts/1551137301616258:0 Grateful for a spontaneous, last minute trip with Minhee to my old stomping grounds - San Francisco. 48 hours of visiting this special city that I called home for so many years.

Pic 1: Went to the Cliff House restaurant where we got engaged about 21 years ago to make out. Oops, sorry, I meant...to reflect on God's faithfulness over these many years.

Pic 2: Walked across the Golden Gate Bridge because it's such an iconic place - with some of the most incredible views.

Pic 3: Enjoyed a glass of some Cabernet Sauvignon and pretended to be wine connoisseurs at a vineyard.

Pic 4: Had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Sam Tung, which boasts some of the best chicken in the country. And of course, we ate at In-n-out.

Pic 5: And finally, celebrated with the good folks at @thefreedomstory where @onedayswages received their annual Freedom Award. What an honor.

Grateful. Thankful for this sabbatical. Breathe.

Show yourself some grace.

We can't do everything for everyone in every situation. Do what you can and do it with a joyful heart.

Amen A family that eats sushi together stays together.

Seriously, I don't ever remember eating so much as a teenager but these kids eat and eat and eat. Perhaps, the reason why this kid is pushing 6 feet tall. Grateful for a special treat with the family at @JaponessaSeattle. I'm sharing an obligatory, "I love and appreciate my wife, she's amazing" photo. Also...because I did something naughty...or brilliant. ;) Seattle is in the midst of a crazy heatwave. Near 100 degrees, hazy, and humid. An excessive heat advisory warning has also been issued.

So, Minhee and I needed to run some errands. It waa horrible but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's also known as adulting.

So, I'm driving and the air conditioning seems to have minimal effect. Minhee is in the passenger's seat and umm, when she's not paying attention, I turn on her seat heater to 5 - the highest level. All along, she's complaining about how hot she is...for nearly an hour...until she finally realizes what I did.

Bam. Boom. Gotcha.

Minhee, I love you!

• RT @mrmedina: When Bryan Stevenson speaks, we do well to listen. https://t.co/o5GJD0KWR2 || 12 hours ago
  • "Mourn with those who mourn." Lifting up the people of Sierra Leone in prayers. Hundreds dead and many more missing… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… || 14 hours ago
  • Dear Barcelona: We are so sorry. We mourn the violence and tragedy in your beautiful city. We pray for healing and yearn for peace. Amen. || 1 day ago
  • Love wins in the end but meanwhile, it fights for things that matter. Love isn't sentimental. It's both gentle & fierce. Seek God's Kingdom. || 2 days ago
  • In response to racism, folks often say, "It's a sin issue." Yes...but don't be naive. Sin creates sinful systems: youtube.com/watch?v=LEbUa0… || 3 days ago
  • Everyone loves the idea of reconciliation...until it involves truthtelling, confessing, repenting, dismantling, forgiving, and peacemaking. || 5 days ago