i’m going to ground my son for life

My son is 6 years old. He’s the youngest of three kids.  This week, he had the following conversation with my wife (while I wasn’t there):

Son: Mom, can I marry you?
Minhee:  No, son. I’m already married. I’m married to Daddy.
Son: But…he’s injured.
Minhee: (Laughing hard…) Doesn’t matter. We’re married for life – in sickness and in health.

Dude!

My own son…my Padawan…while I’m down and injured with my ruptured Achilles and cast.  Should I ground him for life?

Kids say the darnest things. Got any funny stories?

Here’s my son at 2 years old:

august 28 pics 060

Filed under: , , , ,

1. Esther says:

Love your kid story – super funny!
    My son Zach (4yrs) and I were sitting out on the front porch a few weeks ago and he was mumbling alot so I kept saying “pardon?” Eventually he turns and looks at me and says, “Mom, why do you keep calling me pardon?”

2. Absolutely says:

One day my 3 and a half year old son and I were telling a story of how Jesus died on the cross for us. Then I said to him when we die we’ll go to heaven and meet Jesus. He quickly said NO and instead saying “When I die I go to see a Doctor and he will sting me on my legs”.
    _______________________________________________

3. your friend says:

I was sharing with children how wonderful it is to have Jesus, to be able to talk to Him any time about everything, and that He really hears our prayers and answers them for our BEST.

Then I shared about other kids, who pray to Buddha, and how Jesus loves them just the SAME.

Christof was very quiet during the evening meal. When his mom asked Christof to pass the butter, he said:

Mom, tell me, we don’t pray to butter, do we?

4. your friend says:

Here is another one:

When my friend’s son Joshua was three-and-half years old, he had his unique phase: When his parents said one thing, Joshua did the opposite. My friend explained to Joshua that when he is obedient to his parents, it gives joy to them. Joshua promised to be obedient. But a short time afterwards, Joshua was disobedient and as a result, his health was in danger. My friend exclaimed strongly: Joshua, you PROMISED to do it! Joshua responded: Oh, I am just like Pharaoh, I have changed my mind!

5. conniejoh2o says:

My youngest was about that age when she informed me she would be marrying her Daddy when she grew up. I asked “What about me?” she responded without hesitation, “Mr. Scott (our neighbor) is very nice”

6. Jim Gray says:

hilarious…one son talking to my wife when he was little that he and his sister could be married…Sharon had to explain that this wasn’t ok and why…

7. Calisonfire says:

Brilliantly smart kid, Eugene!

8. Ian says:

is that grounding for life idea a “keep your enemies closer” sort of deal?

9. Liz says:

He’s a cutie.

10. He is wayyyyyy to cute to punish for loving his mommy!

11. Becky says:

I love that kid!

So here’s a conversation we overheard the last time the Sneaths visited.

My oldest Boy: I’m going to be a scientist when I grow up.
    Sneath Oldest Girl: I’m going to be a nurse.
    Sneath Middle Girl: I’m going to be a pilot.
    My Youngest Boy: I’m going to be a penguin!

12. […] i’m going to ground my son for life My son is 6 years old. He’s the youngest of three kids.  This week, he had the following conversation with my […] […]

13. lheybella says:

aaaaaaaaw so cute 🙂

14. gar says:

You should have a follow-up convo and ask him what he thinks marriage is. He probably will have some funny quotes like these kids:

(was sent this forward during school by a co-worker)

15. dayazdani says:

Hmm, you’ve got some pretty tough competition there. You may want to, as a precaution.

16. Sure, those moves might get him grounded now, but they’re going to be very helpful later in life!

17. Will says:

I wouldn’t ground him, but that’s just me.

18. Ursula Ures says:

lovely situation, eugene! it’s delighting how little kids can deal with life and face it with really simple and clever attitudes..
    came across with your blog, and it’s been a great discovery 🙂
    regards!

19. darkcherrymocha says:

hilarious!

20. Nene says:

I know how he feels–smart kid. Don’t ground him get that kid a job–in politics or entertainment.

21. Jim says:

If your son is that sharp at six years of age, wait till he’s 16!

22. tami says:

Yes, Henri at age 7 still says he wants to live with me forever and never leave… we’ll see how and when that changes! 😉

It’s an age old comment and one that most moms do hear… well, maybe except for the injured part. But don’t forget your greek lit and Freud…

23. Lori says:

One time when my son was about 6 years old, he saw a poitical newspaper sitting on the dining room table. He was looking at a picture of Hilary Clinton (then the first lady) sitting at a banquet table and conversing with someone with a cup of coffee in her hand. I came up behind my son and leaned over to see what he was looking at. He pointed down to Hilary and said “Look mom, the government’s mother is having coffee!”

24. Girl™ says:

That is so cute. It really put a smile on my face.

25. Gahh! hes the cutest
    little kid :3

26. Eugene Cho says:

@jim: that was a scary comment.

“If your son is that sharp at six years of age, wait till he’s 16!”

27. thefuriousmindofaserialmom says:

very funny!

28. chad m says:

after church in Chicago a kid around 6-7 came up to the senior pastor and said, “is God lonely?” the pastor responded, “no, i don’t think God is lonely. why would you ask?” then we got to the good stuff. the kid responded, “i think God is lonely because he doesn’t have a wife. i think God needs a wife.” that was classic! i’ll never forget that moment!

29. jayaycee says:

When we were potty training my granddaughter, I picked her up from day care. As we came in the house, she shrieked, “I have to go potty, Nana,” and raced to the bathroom on her chubby little legs. Once she got settled on her potty chair, it got real quiet for a moment, then she let this loud, long drawn-out fart. Her eyes got big and she said, “Did you see that?” I laughed so hard!

30. agent58 says:

Kid are cool, I love being a father to my two daughter’s. They come up with such weird and innocent comments hourly.

31. everpest says:

Small children will not only SAY the darndest things, they will DO the darndest things…as did my nephew at a wedding.

He was supposed to be the ringbearer and walk down the aisle with his cousin (the flower girl). Halfway down the aisle, my nephew decided he’d had enough of the whole thing and simply went to sit down!

Then he became rather weary of his little white tuxedo at the reception…..

32. Rosalind Sciammas says:

It sounds like he’s trying to fill your shoes, since they’re…a bit too tight for you to wear right now. What a dear heart to want to give you a break as head of household and do his part to take care of Minhee.

33. […] Posted by yesnoshutupgo in LOL. Tagged: cute, mildly epic. Leave a Comment Link to the hilarious post here. […]

34. Laura says:

It’s difficult to explain cancer to little kids. I tried to tell a seven year old girl I babysit about my dad when he was sick, about losing his hair and throwing up sometimes. And in a time when it was very difficult for me to see the positive, she said, “at least if you have no hair the throw up doesn’t get stuck in it!”

35. Carrie says:

My sister babysits my 2 preschoolers (and her three) while I work. My 3 year old son came home one day and told me, “Auntie Jenn is the boss.” I smiled, imagining the situation that might have led to that proclamation. I asked him if I could be the boss when Auntie Jenn was not around. He said yes.

Later, he went up to my husband and said, “Dad, you’re not the boss. Auntie Jenn is the boss, and Mommy is the boss, but all the bosses are girls, and you’re just a boy.”

36. […] if you want a great laugh, read this story about my son asking my wife to marry her. It still cracks me […]

It. Still. Hurts.
#TamirRice Incredible news: @onedayswages is projecting to have our most impactful year as we grant out $1.3 million dollars! Thank you so much for your prayers and support...please read on to learn how you can join in our work.

As you gather with family, friends, and loved ones for Thanksgiving and the holidays, I wanted to share an opportunity. Often times, when I speak to people about the privilege of generosity, I remind them, "You don't have to but you get to." It's so true.

My wife and I (and our three kids) started ODW in 2009. We felt the Holy Spirit convicting us to give up our year's salary. It wasn't an easy thing to say "Yes" or "Amen" to but we made the decision to obey. As a result, it took us about three years to save, simplify, and sell off things we didn't need.

It's been an incredible journey as we've learned so much about the heart of God and God's love for the hurting and vulnerable around the world - particularly those living in extreme poverty. ODW is a small, scrappy, grassroots organization (with just 3 full-time employees) but since our launch, we've raised nearly $6 million dollars to help those living in extreme poverty: clean water and sanitation, education, maternal health, human trafficking, refugee crisis, hunger, and the list goes on and on.

So, here's my humble ask: As we do this work, would you consider making a pledge to support our work...so that we can keep doing this work with integrity and excellence?
You can make a one time gift or make monthly pledge of just $25 (or more). Thanks so much for considering this: http://onedayswages.org/give (link in bio, too) Don't just count your blessings. Bless others with your blessings. Here, there, everywhere. Be a blessing for this blesses our Father in Heaven and builds the Kingdom of God.

#ReThinkRegugees #WeWelcomeRefugees
@onedayswages Grateful. Still reflecting on the letters that I've received from classmates and students that have come before me and after me. Never imagined all that God would have in store for me. Lots of humbling things but in the midst of them, there were literally thousands upon thousands of daily decisions and choices to be faithful. That's what matters. Seen or unseen. Noticed or unnoticed. You do your best and sometimes you stumble and fumble along but nevertheless, seeking to be faithful.

Also, you know you're getting old when your school honors you with a Distinguished Alumni Award. Lol. 47 is the new 27. Or something like that. Here's to the next 47. In our culture, we can be so obsessed with the "spectacular" or "glamorous." The Church often engagws in thia language and paradigm...but what if God has called many of us to small, ordinary things?

Will we still be faithful?
Will we still go about such things with great love and joy?

I recently came across this picture taken by @mattylew, one of our church staff...and I started tearing up: This is my mother; in her 70s; with realities of some disabilities that make it difficult for her to stand up and sit down...but here she is on her knees and prostate in prayer. She doesn't have any social media accounts, barely knows how to use her smartphone, doesn't have a platform, hasn't written a book, doesn't have any titles in our church, isn't listed as a leader or an expert or a consultant or a guru. But she simply seeks to do her best - by God's grace - to be faithful to God. She prays for hours every day inteceding for our family, our church, and the larger world.

Even if we're not noticed or celebrated or elevated...let's be faithful. Our greatest calling as followers of Christ is to be faithful. Not spectacular. Not glamorous. Not popular. Not relevant. And not even successful in the eyes of the world.

Be faithful. Amen. #notetoself (and maybe helpful for someone else)

At times, we have to say ‘NO’ to good things to say ‘YES’ to the most important things.

We can't do it all.